Get on the Bus - an Eladrin Warlord/Spiral Tactician/Indomitable Champion

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
GET ON THE BUS!
an Eladrin Warlord/Spiral Tactician/Indomitable Champion

(man, I wish I had a cool image for this)

Thanks go out to LordDuskBlade, for the Chasing Glory handbook, all the CharOp community, and to my fiancee Lealla, who has borne the brunt of me playing a similar version of this build for 20 levels in LFR. I don't place myself in the ranks of the luminaries who usually post builds on this board, but I haven't seen anything like this listed and I find it to be pretty damned effective.

The Bus is a tactical warlord who specializes in moving his allies where they need to be when they need to be there. He scoffs at difficult terrain, restrains, pits, ledges, grabs, etc... by simply teleporting, early and often. But it's not enough for a leader to teleport himself. He teleports practically the whole party! His fey step can convey up to 3 allies into position. If he can see it, he can get there, and so can everybody else.

The Bus has some basic assumptions. He needs an ally capable of a whallop MBA. Fortunately, current 4E gives him plenty of options - from battlerager fighters to slayers to hexblades to barbarians.

Show

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Get On The Bus, level 30
Eladrin, Warlord (Marshal), Spiral Tactician, Indomitable Champion
Warlord Option: Combat Leader
Commanding Presence Option: Tactical Presence
Epic Heroism Option: Strength
Epic Heroism Option: Intelligence
Auspicious Birth (Auspicious Birth Benefit)
Theme: Iliyanbruen Guardian

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 26, CON 12, DEX 17, INT 28, WIS 13, CHA 10

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 16, CON 10, DEX 13, INT 16, WIS 11, CHA 8

AC: 40 Fort: 45 Ref: 45 Will: 39
HP: 205 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 51

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +31, Athletics +27, Endurance +20, Heal +21, History +33

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +17, Bluff +15, Diplomacy +15, Dungeoneering +16, Insight +16, Intimidate +15, Nature +18, Perception +16, Religion +24, Stealth +17, Streetwise +15, Thievery +17

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Eladrin Racial Power: Fey Step
Warlord Feature: Inspiring Word
Warlord Attack 1: Commander's Strike
Warlord Attack 1: Wolf Pack Tactics
Warlord Attack 1: Powerful Warning
Warlord Attack 1: Lead the Attack
Warlord Utility 2: Knight's Move
Warlord Attack 3: Inspiring War Cry
Warlord Attack 5: Stand the Fallen
Warlord Utility 6: Tactical Supervision
Warlord Attack 7: Surprise Attack
Warlord Attack 9: Awakened Wrath
Warlord Utility 10: Strength of Conviction
Spiral Tactician Attack 11: Fey Step Assault
Reserve Maneurver: Join the Crowd
Spiral Tactician Utility 12: Convey Ally
Warlord Attack 13: Death from Two Sides
Warlord Attack 15: War Masters Assault
Warlord Utility 16: Decisive Timing
Warlord Attack 17: Thunderous Fury
Warlord Attack 19: Exhorted Counterattack
Spiral Tactician Attack 20: Spiral of Fey Death
Warlord Utility 22: Rush of Battle
Warlord Attack 23: Sudden Assault
Warlord Attack 25: Relentless Assault
Indomitable Champion Utility 26: Epic Tenacity
Warlord Attack 27: Brutal Setup
Warlord Attack 29: Perfect Front
Indomitable Champion Utility 30: Unmatched Defense

FEATS
Level 1: Tactical Assault
Level 2: Eladrin Soldier
Level 4: Spear Expertise
Level 6: Tactical Inspiration (retrained at 12 to Reserve Maneuver)
Level 8: Saving Inspiration
Level 10: Improved Initiative (retrained at 11 to Combat Commander)
Level 11: Fey Tactics
Level 11: Combat Commander
Level 12: Fight On
Level 12: Reserve Maneuver - Join the Crowd
Level 14: Fey Step Trailblazer
Level 16: Danger Sense
Level 18: Feywild Flanker
Level 20: Tactical Inspiration
Level 21: Shared Resources
Level 22: Martial Mastery
Level 24: Feywild Warrior
Level 26: Superior Fortitude
Level 28: Superior Reflexes
Level 30: Epic Will

Magic Greatspear +6, Magic Elderhide Armor +6, Amulet of Protection +6
====== End ======

The Bus has some preferred gear, if you can get your hands on these toys.

Show

Eladrin Boots, Ring of Dimensional Escape, Ring of Retreat - The Bus teleports. A lot. So adding to his teleport distance with items like these is always fun. He also wants a Ring of Calling, but he wants one of his buddies to wear it.
Chieftain's Greatspear - The Bus stabs things from time to time, but more often he has someone else do it for him. He'd like that attack to hit.
Golden Crown of Battle Command - See Chieftain's Greatspear. Bonus to damage too? Awesome.
Iron Armbands of Power - The Bus makes a lot of melee attacks, and extra damage is always nice!
Stone of Earth, Dice of Auspicious Fortune - Nothing surprising here...everyone wants toys like these.
Mummified Hand - There's a lot of good rings for the bus, in addition to the above he likes Ring of the Dragonborn Emporer, Ring of Free Time, Nullifying Band and more. So why not wear an extra ring.

Movement Discussion
Show

The Bus has a ton of abilities to move your party and yourself. Let's start with Fey Step. It becomes a minor action that allows him to teleport himself, bring two adjacent allies with him, and send a third ally in her own fey jaunt. He recharges it when he spends an action point, and one monster he ends up next to grants combat advantage to everyone UEONT. If you pick up the ring and boots setup mentioned above, your distance goes to 9, and 13 if you can stand next to an ally wearing a Ring of Calling.

Need more? Knights Move gives his ally a move action, and Convey Ally lets him move an ally his Fey Step distance, which may be obscene. Ring of Retreat can bring himself or the whole band home to pick up that all important ritual or consumable, or break certain encounters and skill challenges where the objective is simply to escape in half. Eladrin Boots also give you a nice teleport. Feywild Warrior isn't worth much on some of his dailiies, but it's worth a ton on Spiral of Fey Death, which with the above setup, allow him to attack every enemy within 8 squares of your staring position (12 if you're next to your Ring of Calling buddy, and of course teleport all of those enemies that you hit, or slide them if you miss. (Or both, if it floats your boat.)

Attack Discussion
Show

Wolf Pack Tactics is nice in early levels for setting up a flank, but eventually it will lose steam, as CA is so easy to get and so many better options for your standard action present themselves. Commanders Strike starts good and gets better however, as your reach with your greatspear gives you an effective attack even if you're prone, blind and weakened, as none of that matters to the ally you are granting it to.

In heroic tier, Powerful Warning sticks around for a long time, giving you good action economy and the ability to make enemies miss. The +2 to defenses might not make them miss, but in some cases the granted attack kills the enemy, before their hit connects. Inspiring War Cry gives you some save granting, and Surprise Attack is a good solid enabler, although both of these will eventually be replaced. For dailies, Lead the Attack is a great starter, Stand the Fallen gives you a nice panic button when you need to heal multiple allies, and Awakened Wrath is a great way to milk your MBA buddy for some extra attacks. (Awakened Wrath can certainly be subbed out for Warlord's Recover or Knock them Down if you like.)

In paragon, you are keeping the action economy of Powerful Warning. Fey Step Assault is kind of weaksauce, so you use Reserve Maneuver to ditch it for Join the Crowd, which will bring great joy to your controller buddy, sorcerer buddy, fighter's Come and Get It, etc. Death from Two Sides is a rock star - making a crit-focused ally crit every fight is a big move, and unlike most warlord shenanigans, it's not a "free" attack, so you can pair it with Surprise Attack, Commanders Strike, etc... in the same round. I refer to it as Plan A. I like Thunderous Fury because even with this build I find Hail of Steel a bit hard to set up and eek out maximum effectiveness, but if your party can benefit from the switch, go for it! For dailies, War Masters Assault is great if you can pop it when your allies are near you, and your initiative control can help guarantee that. Exhorted Counterattack is just my own personal choice here, as I like the extra healing. But it's really hard to go wrong with Victory Surge, End to Games or Break the Tempo either. Spiral of Fey Death looks just kinda neat, but when you consider that your reach is increased from your weapon, and you've probably been upping your teleport range...you can get some huge area of effect on it.

Epic brings us some incredible new tricks. Sudden Assault finally knocks Powerful Warning off its high horse - if your allies cant pull some insane shenanigans with this at level 23, get new allies. Brutal Setup replaces Thunderous Fury, as it's a pure upgrade. Relentless Assault is a disturbing opener at this level, especially when followed up with Death From Two Sides. Perfect Front basically removes missing from the equation, and turns on a lot of crits...pair this with Relentless Assault for true silliness.

Healing and Other Utility Discussion
Show

Your Inspiring Words get Saving Inspiration, for save granting, and Tactical Inspiration, to add your Int to heals. Fight On is a no brainer...why wouldn't you want an extra Inspiring Word. Strength from Conviction is good to use early when it looks like the enemy is packing some heat - maxing all your Inspiring Words for the rest of the encounter lets you mock the pacifist healer. Of course, Shared Resources doles out so many temps you may never need that much healing. A lot of these come later in your career though, so Stand the Fallen is a nice filler in the meantime.

Note - I've never played in a campaign where "Mark of" is allowed, but if it is you'll want Mark of Healing instead of Saving Inspiration, and you'll probably want it earlier.

Lets talk initiative. Well, Combat Commander will give everyone your Int mod. One ally is going to reroll with double your Int mod, so whoever bombed out with a 2 on the dice gets another shot at it. Then, you're going to flip around the initiative order for three people, and give whoever comes in last a juicy damage bonus until the end of his first turn. Maybe that'll be a nice multiattacking striker or a controller with a big burst nova turn. Or maybe it'll be someone you're going to enable a few times. Meanwhile, at the top of the initiative order, there's always someone who can benefit the whole party in a big way by going first. Sometimes, with War Master's Assault - it's you.

Um, Rush of Battle. Yep.

Tactical Supervision may seem like a reach, but with all the slayers, thieves, and other MBA builds, not to mention charge happy rageblood barbarians, druids and other charge optimizers....there's plenty of times that a big retroactive bonus to hit will turn their can really help enable some damage. Oh, and it's funny with Rush of Battle and Relentless Assault.

Your allies will enjoy massive bonuses to both hit and damage thanks to your presence, Tactical Assault and the joy that is the lvl 16 Spiral Tactician feature, and it will just keep getting better over time. Sadly, these bonuses are a one shot with multiattacks, but they are really great with bursts and blasts. (Be sure to season with Join the Crowd for more lols.)

History Varient
Show

With a high Intelligence, Iliyanbruen Guardian and eladrin, his History score is through the roof. He can sacrifice a bit of toughness by changing background to Scion of an Ancient Bloodline, and ditch Knights Move for Legend Lore. In this way, he can dominate skill challenges and monster knowledge rolls by being able to roll his crushingly high history check for Arcana, Dungeoneering, Religion and Nature. Being able to out-Religion the cleric is one thing, but out-Nature-ing the druid is hilarious.

Note: I'm not sold on the Epic Destiny for this build. I want something that bumps Str, since Eladrin doesn't give a racial bonus, but I also like Planeshaper. The current leaning reflects my desire to put more staying power in the build.
Awesome build! How's it working in-game?
RIP George! 4-21-11 RIP Abie! 1-2-13
Funny Forum Quotes
[quote author=82733368 post=532127449]
58115148 wrote:
"You notice a large piece of mold clinging to your toothbrush. What do you do?" "I cast Fireball." "I run like hell!
63797881 wrote:
The standard d4 is somewhat (SOMEWHAT) rounded on the top, the older models are even flat. The Lego is shaped in such a way that in an emergency, you can use one as a makeshift surgical knife.
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
My wife asked me if her pants made her look fat. What do you think I said?
Wife: Do these pants make me look fat? RedSiegfried: I just killed a bunch of orc women and children.
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
28.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character (Monk or otherwise) does not require my character to be completely shitfaced, no matter what the name (and fun interpretation) implies.
29.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character does not require ME to be completely tanked, no matter how "in-character" I want to be..
A friend of mine had a very similar build, he got to level 18 in LFR before basically quitting due to essentials.  In addition to most of what you have there, he had Ravenous Blessing, Planar Blurring, and Student of the Plague for an additional target (not just ally) teleported every fey step and one slid (trigger agile opportunist), and a bonus to healing and saves.

Item wise, I'd recommend a 1H Chieftain's so you can OH a Rubicant Blade, and then swap the Eladrin Boots for Planestrider Boots (Splitting teleports allows for more "I take you with me" shenanigans)
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Awesome build! How's it working in-game?

Fantastic...couldn't be happier. It helps to have a battlerager dwarf who is tricked out for high damage crits. We're pulling about 120 damage on DfTS now, followed up by Trip Up, Jackel Strike, Sudden Opportunity, etc. Our defender and leader bring a striker, and the mobility has come in really handy in some very tricky encounter designs. Also, guaranteeing your fiancee crits is good for the relationship.

A friend of mine had a very similar build, he got to level 18 in LFR before basically quitting due to essentials.  In addition to most of what you have there, he had Ravenous Blessing, Planar Blurring, and Student of the Plague for an additional target (not just ally) teleported every fey step and one slid (trigger agile opportunist), and a bonus to healing and saves.

Item wise, I'd recommend a 1H Chieftain's so you can OH a Rubicant Blade, and then swap the Eladrin Boots for Planestrider Boots (Splitting teleports allows for more "I take you with me" shenanigans)

Interesting options. The 1H Chieftains would give up reach, which I would be loathe to do, and the Eladrin Boots add distance. You can't really make changes like these in LFR, but they sound like they may warrent mentions in the build notes.

... I didn't read the build, but this is what the name made me think of.
The Bus is a tactical warlord who specializes in moving his allies where they need to be when they need to be there

This is a type of build I've been wanting to explore for a long time now (a Controller for Team Ally instead of Team Enemy) - and seeing it all written in rote, up to 30, makes it look freakishly fun.  

Would it be possible to substitute in the Runepriest at-will utility that grants an adjacent ally a 4-square slide?  Or are your utilities and feat choices too strong to consider that?
The Bus is a tactical warlord who specializes in moving his allies where they need to be when they need to be there

This is a type of build I've been wanting to explore for a long time now (a Controller for Team Ally instead of Team Enemy) - and seeing it all written in rote, up to 30, makes it look freakishly fun.  

Would it be possible to substitute in the Runepriest at-will utility that grants an adjacent ally a 4-square slide?  Or are your utilities and feat choices too strong to consider that?

If he doesn't have enough feats then there is a new weapon in the new "Big book of Items" (I can never spell it) that has an at-will power that lets you slide an ally 2 squares.
There's a couple of flavors of this floating around - this is the first warlord I've seen, but there's warlock and bard builds, as well as a psion build.

The basic package seems to be a selection of teleport enhancers + easy repeatable teleport + "get in the van, I have candy" powers.

The warlock uses ethereal sidestep and evermeet warlock.
The bard uses bardic wayfinder.
The psion used staff of travel and dimensional stowaway shenanigans.

It's worth mentioning that Incisive weapon is a great addition in range on teleport.
The Blinker in my sig uses many of the same tricks to neat effect; you might be able to crib something from him.

It's a shame there's not MC Knight yet, because getting the Eldritch Knight taxi feature on here would be killer.

The major issue I see with this guy, however, is that he needs to keep all his allies in a burst 1 to do his best tricks, and that's a very vulnerable formation.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
The Blinker in my sig uses many of the same tricks to neat effect; you might be able to crib something from him.

It's a shame there's not MC Knight yet, because getting the Eldritch Knight taxi feature on here would be killer.

The major issue I see with this guy, however, is that he needs to keep all his allies in a burst 1 to do his best tricks, and that's a very vulnerable formation.

Some, not all. Fey Tactics allows you to teleport an ally who is within 5 of you your fey step distance when you teleport. Convey Ally lets you move an ally who is within 20 squares your fey step distance.

Also, since fey step is a minor action for The Bus thanks to the theme, you can move in to position and fey step everyone, or you can fey step and then walk out of the burst.

Hmm, with Quick Draw you could hold your spear in one hand, draw the Incisive Dagger, fey step and then put it away again, right?
Hmm, with Quick Draw you could hold your spear in one hand, draw the Incisive Dagger, fey step and then put it away again, right?

No, it would require a minor to swap (instead of 2).  Unless you plan on dropping your item.

There's familars that do it better.

5e houserules and tweaks.

Celestial Link Evoking Radiance into Creation

A Party Without Music is Lame: A Bard

Level Dip Guide

4e stuff

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Build needs more trailblazing, so you can complete the lyrics. "CASH! YOU'VE GOT TO PAY!". Looks pretty nice otherwise!
Mountain Cleave Rule: You can have any sort of fun, including broken, silly fun, so long as I get to have that fun too (e. g., if you can warp reality with your spells, I can cleave mountains with my blade).
Sign In to post comments