Custom PrC (3.5e) Champion Martyr

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello all

I am playing a barbarian/cleric in a homebrew table-top game. I started to thumb through some books looking for a decent PrC for him and none have the good flavor and beneficial mechanics that I am looking for.
He follow Lo Wan Din, the world's god of Suffering. He seeks out those who are suffering and comes to their aid as well as snuffing out those who would bring suffering upon others. I wasn't able to find a class that blended the divine champion feel with the martyr feel; below is what I came up with.

Please let me know what you think and any suggestions, criticisms, or comments you might have are welcome.

Initiate of Lo Wan Din: When you cast any cure or vigor spell that would cure more damage than the target has taken,

the target gains the excess as temporary hit points equal to the target's HD+3 in this manner. These temporary HP 

last up to 1 hour per caster level you possess. A creature that currently has any of these temporary hit points also

gains a +2 sacred bonus on Fortitude saves and a +2 sacred bonus on checks made to resist being bull rushed or 

tripped. These bonuses end when the last temporary hit point is lost or expires. (See Initiate of Ilmater PGtF p.80)
Pact of Martyrdom: Once per day, you exchange hit point totals with a target that has fewer hit points than you do. If the target was 

unconcious and dying, you become unconcious and dying. If the target was unconscious and stabalized, you

become unconcious and stabalized. The spell only transfers actual hitpoints, not temporay hitpoints. 

Pact of Martyrdom does not function if you have fewer hit points than the target when you cast the spell. 

This takes one standard action and functions as a spell-like ability. The creature must be willing and within 100 feet of the martyr.

(See Pact of Martyrdom, PGtF p. 108)

Rage of the Suffering: The Initiate gains DR 5/- and +3 sacred bonus to attack and damage rolls for a number of rounds equal to the Initiates CHA modifier.
Matyr's Sacrifice: A number of times per day equal to 1+ the initiates CHA modifier, the initiate can heal another up to 4 

times his initiate level. In addition, the initiate can heal additional HP up to 4 times the initiates WIS modifier so

long as the innitiate takes an equal amount of damage. If any additional HP was healed in this manner, the innitiate 

will be fatigued for 1 hour afterwards. If Matyr's Sacrifice is performed while the Initiate is fatigued (whether from a previous 

Sacrifice or from any other condition, the condition will worsen to exhausted for 1 hour before returning for fatigued for 

any amount of time that was remaining or until the condition is removed. (This is akin to a Lay on Hands or Contemplative's Divine Wholeness (CD p. 32))
Pure Soul: Initiate gains spell resistance equal to 15+their Initiate level. (Contemplative's Divine Soul (CD p. 32))
Transcendence: Initiate transcends the matrial world and is now treated as an outsider (native) rather than a humanoid
or the purposes of spells and magical effects. Additionally, the Initiate gains damage resistance 10/magic. (See Contemplative's Mystic Union CD p. 32)

Requirements: Knowledge (Religion) 8 ranks, able to cast 4th level divine spells, must have made contact with Lo Wan Din and be named one of her champions, and must take the Martyr's Oath (akin to paladin's code of conduct, atonement rules apply).
Hit Dice: d8

Skills: 2 + INT, class skills same as cleric

Level
BABFortRef WillSpecialSpells
122Initiate of Lo Wan DinAdvance level of existing divine spellcasting class
2133Pact of Martyrdom 1/dayAdvance level of existing divine spellcasting class
32313Improved Critical (Bastard Sword)Advance level of existing divine spellcasting class
Advance level of existing divine spellcasting class
53414Rage of the SufferingAdvance level of existing divine spellcasting class
64525Matyr's SacrificeAdvance level of existing divine spellcasting class
75525Pure SoulAdvance level of existing divine spellcasting class
107737TranscendenceAdvance level of existing divine spellcasting class
Hello all

I am playing a barbarian/cleric in a homebrew table-top game. I started to thumb through some books looking for a decent PrC for him and none have the good flavor and beneficial mechanics that I am looking for.
He follow Lo Wan Din, the world's god of Suffering. He seeks out those who are suffering and comes to their aid as well as snuffing out those who would bring suffering upon others. I wasn't able to find a class that blended the divine champion feel with the martyr feel; below is what I came up with.

Please let me know what you think and any suggestions, criticisms, or comments you might have are welcome.
Show

Initiate of Lo Wan Din: When you cast any cure or vigor spell that would cure more damage than the target has taken,

the target gains the excess as temporary hit points equal to the target's HD+3 in this manner. These temporary HP 

last up to 1 hour per caster level you possess. A creature that currently has any of these temporary hit points also

gains a +2 sacred bonus on Fortitude saves and a +2 sacred bonus on checks made to resist being bull rushed or 

tripped. These bonuses end when the last temporary hit point is lost or expires. (See Initiate of Ilmater PGtF p.80)
Pact of Martyrdom: Once per day, you exchange hit point totals with a target that has fewer hit points than you do. If the target was 

unconcious and dying, you become unconcious and dying. If the target was unconscious and stabalized, you

become unconcious and stabalized. The spell only transfers actual hitpoints, not temporay hitpoints. 

Pact of Martyrdom does not function if you have fewer hit points than the target when you cast the spell. 

This takes one standard action and functions as a spell-like ability. The creature must be willing and within 100 feet of the martyr.

(See Pact of Martyrdom, PGtF p. 108)

Rage of the Suffering: The Initiate gains DR 5/- and +3 sacred bonus to attack and damage rolls for a number of rounds equal to the Initiates CHA modifier.
Matyr's Sacrifice: A number of times per day equal to 1+ the initiates CHA modifier, the initiate can heal another up to 4 

times his initiate level. In addition, the initiate can heal additional HP up to 4 times the initiates WIS modifier so

long as the innitiate takes an equal amount of damage. If any additional HP was healed in this manner, the innitiate 

will be fatigued for 1 hour afterwards. If Matyr's Sacrifice is performed while the Initiate is fatigued (whether from a previous 

Sacrifice or from any other condition, the condition will worsen to exhausted for 1 hour before returning for fatigued for 

any amount of time that was remaining or until the condition is removed. (This is akin to a Lay on Hands or Contemplative's Divine Wholeness (CD p. 32))
Pure Soul: Initiate gains spell resistance equal to 15+their Initiate level. (Contemplative's Divine Soul (CD p. 32))
Transcendence: Initiate transcends the matrial world and is now treated as an outsider (native) rather than a humanoid
or the purposes of spells and magical effects. Additionally, the Initiate gains damage resistance 10/magic. (See Contemplative's Mystic Union CD p. 32)

Requirements: Knowledge (Religion) 8 ranks, able to cast 4th level divine spells, must have made contact with Lo Wan Din and be named one of her champions, and must take the Martyr's Oath (akin to paladin's code of conduct, atonement rules apply).
Hit Dice: d8

Skills: 2 + INT, class skills same as cleric

Level
BABFortRef WillSpecialSpells
122Initiate of Lo Wan DinAdvance level of existing divine spellcasting class
2133Pact of Martyrdom 1/dayAdvance level of existing divine spellcasting class
32313Improved Critical (Bastard Sword)Advance level of existing divine spellcasting class
53414Rage of the SufferingAdvance level of existing divine spellcasting class
64525Matyr's SacrificeAdvance level of existing divine spellcasting class
75525Pure SoulAdvance level of existing divine spellcasting class
107737TranscendenceAdvance level of existing divine spellcasting class

Where is the Barbarian in all of this?

Aside from a possible roleplaying restriction why wouldn't ANY cleric 8 consider taking this class?  I see a full casting progression (no suffering there) and a cleric's BAB/HD so all that would be lost is some turning power in exchange for some great class abilities.  The very first ability is kind of crazy when you consider that I could cast a zero level spell (cure minor wound) to give a character a LOT more temporary hitpoints from it in addition to certain save bonuses.

Initiate of Lo Wan Din: You messed up the wording from initiate of Ilmater. Specifically, you left off the “to a maximum” bit, so now it reads entirely differently. Also, maybe you should keep this a feat instead converting it into a class.

Pact of Martyrdom: I think you should stick with adding the spell to the character's spell list.

Improved Critical: Is bastard sword the deity's favored weapon? Why are critical hits especially appropriate for his worshipers to focus on? If this is going to be a class feature, the class should require proficiency with bastard swords (even if only the martial version) and possibly also a base attack bonus requirement that ensures the character will have +8 BAB when he gets the feat.

Rage of the Suffering: I'd favor an ability to sacrifice divine spells to gain combat bonuses. This is a nice fusion of melee and spells that can be used while in rage.

Martyr's Sacrifice: I'm not at all a fan of lay on hands-type things. I'd recommend an ability to augment conjuration (healing) effects you cast with some sort of cost attached.

Pure Soul: I'm also not a fan of spell resistance class features.

I know I did, will fix on the first round of edits (i think it was a copy paste error from excel, not sure tho).

What if I put some sort of caveat with it? If the hit point difference is more than half of my maximum hitpoints than I take half my hit points in damage? (even if it kills me? My code may require this sacrifice... my life for another.)

Bastard sword is the favored weapon of Low Wan Din. My character has Proficiency and Wep Focus with bastard swords, I will add it to reqs, but just note it is redudant in my characters case.

Rage: Maybe... do you have any suggestions? Spell level to attack, damage, and spell levelXHD in temp hit points. Effect last for spell level rounds (Spell level + CHA? maybe CON to make it closer to rage?)

What if I took half the total damage healed? ... all of it? *gulp*

Pure Soul... I kinda do... Not a deal breaker I guess
I would say fix the abilities so they are more ... understandable... and cut ccaster progression to 1/2. That will balance it, and not make it a must take class.
Sign In to post comments