banding and general damage :)

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Adventurers' Guildhouse

Adventurer's Guildhouse

Enough said, can I use these with legends to make my general stronger or to gain other effects with banding. I guess I need to learn the effects of banding, do both creatures need keywords like trample and first strike or as long as one has it do both have the ability. Just an interesting take on a card I thought could change some games Highly fetchable with green.

It seems to me that even with banding it would still be considered general damage? 
Banding and Bands with Other
Back to the Table of Contents

Comprehensive Rules entry for these keywords:
702.20. Banding

702.20a Banding is a static ability that modifies the rules for combat.

702.20b "Bands with other" is a special form of banding. If an effect causes a permanent to lose banding, the permanent loses all "bands with other" abilities as well.

702.20c As a player declares attackers, he or she may declare that one or more attacking creatures with banding and up to one attacking creature without banding (even if it has "bands with other") are all in a "band." He or she may also declare that one or more attacking [quality] creatures with "bands with other [quality]" and any number of other attacking [quality] creatures are all in a band. A player may declare as many attacking bands as he or she wants, but each creature may be a member of only one of them. (Defending players can't declare bands but may use banding in a different way; see rule 702.20j.)

702.20d All creatures in an attacking band must attack the same player or planeswalker.

702.20e Once an attacking band has been announced, it lasts for the rest of combat, even if something later removes banding or "bands with other" from one or more of the creatures in the band.

702.20f An attacking creature that's removed from combat is also removed from the band it was in.

702.20g Banding doesn't cause attacking creatures to share abilities, nor does it remove any abilities. The attacking creatures in a band are separate permanents.

702.20h If an attacking creature becomes blocked by a creature, each other creature in the same band as the attacking creature becomes blocked by that same blocking creature.
Example: A player attacks with a band consisting of a creature with flying and a creature with swampwalk. The defending player, who controls a Swamp, can block the flying creature if able. If he or she does, then the creature with swampwalk will also become blocked by the blocking creature(s).

702.20i If one member of a band would become blocked due to an effect, the entire band becomes blocked.

702.20j During the combat damage step, if an attacking creature is being blocked by a creature with banding, or by both a [quality] creature with "bands with other [quality]" and another [quality] creature, the defending player (rather than the active player) chooses how the attacking creature's damage is assigned. That player can divide that creature's combat damage as he or she chooses among any number of creatures blocking it. This is an exception to the procedure described in rule 510.1c.

702.20k During the combat damage step, if a blocking creature is blocking a creature with banding, or both a [quality] creature with "bands with other [quality]" and another [quality] creature, the active player (rather than the defending player) chooses how the blocking creature's damage is assigned. That player can divide that creature's combat damage as he or she chooses among any number of creatures it's blocking. This is an exception to the procedure described in rule 510.1d.

702.20m Multiple instances of banding on the same creature are redundant. Multiple instances of "bands with other" of the same kind on the same creature are redundant.

For general information about the combat phase, check the Combat, Attacking, Blocking, and Combat Damage entries in the Main Rules Q&A FAQ.

Specific Questions

Q: What is banding and what does it do?
A: Banding is really two separate abilities. They are commonly referred to as 'mutual assistance' and 'damage sharing.' Both of these abilities apply when a banding creature attacks, but only damage sharing applies when one blocks. Below are descriptions that cover the basics of these two abilities.

Mutual Assistance - Banding allows you to group creatures together when they attack, often called attacking in a band. In an attacking band, all creatures in the band except for one must have banding. Any creature that blocks any member of the band blocks the entire band (even if it couldn't block those creatures normally).
For example, I could attack you with Benalish Hero and Grizzly Bears in a band. If you block either the Hero or the Bears, you block the entire band.

Creatures in a band do not share abilities; if I form an attacking band out of a Benalish Hero and an Leonin Skyhunter, you could block the entire band with one non-flying creature by blocking the Hero.

Basically, this part of the ability allows you to "gang-attack" your opponent with a whole bunch of small creatures in the same way that you can "gang-block" attacking creatures. (To "gang-block" is to block a single attacking creature with multiple creatures, usually so you can kill the attacker.)

Damage Sharing - Normally, the controller of a creature gets to decide how to assign that creature's combat damage. However, banding allows the controller of a banding creature to decide how to assign the combat damage of any creatures blocking or blocked by the bander, and lets them divide up that damage however they wish, ignoring the normal damage-ordering rules.
For example, let's say I attack with Benalish Hero (1/1) and a Grizzly Bear (2/2) in a band, and you block the band with a 3/3 creature. Because your 3/3 is blocking my banding creature, I get to choose how your creature deals its combat damage. I could assign all three to the Benalish Hero, and then the Grizzly Bear would survive.

Using this aspect of banding is different from forming a band to attack in that it works no matter how many creatures with banding are present.
For example, let's say you attack with an 8/8 creature. I could block with eight 1/1 creatures. As long as just one of these creatures had banding, I could assign all the combat damage from the 8/8 creature to just one of my 1/1 creatures.

This part of the banding ability works especially well against attacking creatures with trample, as you can decide to assign all combat damage to the creatures blocking the trample creature and not have any assigned to the defending player.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: I think I get it--so what is bands with other?
A: Bands with other is a special form of banding.

When creatures with "bands with other" attack, they can form a band consisting of themselves plus any number of creatures that match the quality given after the words "bands with other"--so a creature with "bands with other wolves" could attack in a band with a whole bunch of Wolves.

Other than that, bands with other works the same as normal banding. (Note that this is a change from the original implementation of bands with other, which was insanely counterintuitive and utterly useless to boot.)

Back to the Table of Contents

Ok so that should help a lot.  As far as general damage is concerned that is a characteristic of the general card itself and can't be applied to any other creatures banding or not.  Nor does banding increase the damage your general would do by himself.  Im not one hundred percent since banding literally has some of the worst rules in this game so dont take my word as law.  The quote is however 100% correct. 
I like fun, but competitive decks. So I might not play what is optimal but they have normally been tested to have a 2/3 winrate.
your general is still doing the same amount of damage. banding does not increase that.
Don't quote me, but my limited understanding of banding means you take being easily blocked with superior damage control. Band with an indestructible creature or one with protection for full effect.

3DH4LIF3