09/23/2011 TWTW: "The Sweet Music of Innistrad"

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's The Week That Was, which goes live Friday morning on magicthegathering.com.

Actually with Angelic Destiny you can end the game on the fourth turn with Geist of Saint Traft. First turn Birds, second turn Geist, third turn Angelic Destiny and swing for 10, fourth turn the other half goes.
One of the first card combinations that jumped out to me was Angelic Overseer and Divine Reckoning. Divine Reckoning is an interesting card—vaguely comparable to past cards like Cataclysm—but if you can break the symmetry, it becomes much more than interesting. With an Angelic Overseer making another creature indestructible you can keep two creatures to your opponent's single creature since Divine Reckoning "destroys" all the other creatures. I am not sure this is going to set Standard on fire, but it is certainly something we could see happening in Block Constructed, and I would not be unhappy to see it come up in a game of Commander.

(Emphasis mine)
Am I missing something here? As far as I can tell Overseer doesn't make anything indestructible besides itself. 
whatcolor_isred.jpg
One of the first card combinations that jumped out to me was Angelic Overseer and Divine Reckoning. Divine Reckoning is an interesting card—vaguely comparable to past cards like Cataclysm—but if you can break the symmetry, it becomes much more than interesting. With an Angelic Overseer making another creature indestructible you can keep two creatures to your opponent's single creature since Divine Reckoning "destroys" all the other creatures. I am not sure this is going to set Standard on fire, but it is certainly something we could see happening in Block Constructed, and I would not be unhappy to see it come up in a game of Commander.

(Emphasis mine)
Am I missing something here? As far as I can tell Overseer doesn't make anything indestructible besides itself. 

You aren't missing anything.  However, as long as you have a human while Divine Reckoning is cast, the Angel and whatever creature you choose to be immune to DR will survive.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
I think it's just "another" as in "one more". You get to keep two creatures where the opponent keeps one, so it's "another" indestructible creature beyond the one that the spell lets you keep.
" While the original will get transformed should a single player cast two spells in a turn, the copied version has no other side to transform into, and will remain in its more formidable state indefinitely."

What? I thought that tokens with transform would be destroyed when they tried to transform. They still have to transform but are transforming into into a nonexisting state. 

Question on transforming, would grand abolisher prevent oponents creatures from transforming on your turn? I think it would anf forsing a player to use spells only on their turn should reduce the chance of any transformation.
From  www.wizards.com/magic/tcg/article.aspx?x... :

"The only objects that can transform are cards that physically have two faces. If a token or a card with a regular Magic back is instructed to transform, instead nothing will happen. Even if a token or non-double-faced card is a copy of one face of a double-faced card, it can't transform."
" While the original will get transformed should a single player cast two spells in a turn, the copied version has no other side to transform into, and will remain in its more formidable state indefinitely."

What? I thought that tokens with transform would be destroyed when they tried to transform. They still have to transform but are transforming into into a nonexisting state. 

Question on transforming, would grand abolisher prevent oponents creatures from transforming on your turn? I think it would anf forsing a player to use spells only on their turn should reduce the chance of any transformation.

Dav1000 already answered your first question, so I'll answer your second. No, Grand Abolisher doesn't stop transformation, or at least not of Werewolves. Werewolves' transformation is a triggered ability, not an activated one.
It would, however, prevent the transformation of the few with Activated transform triggers, such as Bloodline Keeper.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c6f9e416e5e0e1f0a1e5c42b0c7b3e88.jpg?v=90000)
Ah, I see.
Thank you.