Help Wanted For Future Custom Campaign Stuff

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
My group is still quite low level at the moment. I recently did the Chaos Scar campaign, "The Wayward Wyrmling", with the intent that it leads to a series of custom adventures based around a cult of dragon-haters.

As anybody who's read the adventure knows, the adamantine female Karonzaxus is viciously murdered by a group of adventurers, traumatising her newly-hatched baby who is forced to watch from his hiding place.

I plan on these adventurers being part of this dragon-hating cult. They don't care if the dragons are "good" or "evil", they consider them all a menace and want to wipe them from the face of existence.

After looking through things, I've decided Karonzaxus would be a level 14 adult. So what I'd like to know is this: what level would a 5-man party of adventurers be to kill a level 14 dragon? And further, what level should my PC's be, to be capable of taking on and killing the evil 5-man party?
Solo creatures tend to be a cakewalk as designed unless they are somewhere between +3 and +5 the PCs' level in my opinion. So, you can move the needle on the difficulty of the encounter by either keeping the PCs closer to the dragon's level and adding additional creatures, traps, etc. to the encounter or keeping the PCs much less than the dragon's level without the support of other monsters. The former is likelier a more interesting encounter.

I would highly recommend checking out the Worldbreaker discussions on the At-Will blog and any article about solo creatures at SlyFlourish.com. I've been using the concepts introduced there on my solos and they truly make the encounter awe-inspiring and interesting rather than the boring slugfest they usually are.

As far as the evil 5-man party, encounters pretty much revolve around the baseline of a group of 5 PCs fighting a party of 5 standard monsters equal to their level. If you want to make them harder, increase their level. Easier, decrease their level. Just find stat blocks that fit the idea you're going for and change level as needed.

No amount of tips, tricks, or gimmicks will ever be better than simply talking directly to your fellow players to resolve your issues.
DMs: Dungeon Master 101  |  Find Your GM Style  |  Structure First, Story Last  |  No Myth Roleplaying  |  5e Monster Index & Encounter Calculator
Players: Players 101  |  11 Ways to Be a Better Roleplayer  |  You Are Not Your Character  |  Pre-Gen D&D 5e PCs

Content I Created: Adventure Scenarios  |  Actual Play Reports  |  Tools

I'm Recruiting Players for a D&D 5e Game: Interested?  |  Follow me on Twitter: @is3rith

Ah, those links do explain things better. I admit, I've not been DMing for very long - the other DM's in the group are happy to help out with things I'm not sure of when I'm running the adventure (like what does this symbol mean, etc) but absolutely refuse to help out with plot ideas. Says it'll "ruin the surprise" if they know.

But the links are a great help. Worldbreaking, huh. Brilliant.

On another note, I don't suppose you could point me in the direction of a thread or something detailing dragon aging? How quick they age; how old would a young, young adult, etc, dragons be; etc? My google-fu is fail this week. I'm going to blame the sedatives the dentists gave me on Tuesday.
On another note, I don't suppose you could point me in the direction of a thread or something detailing dragon aging? How quick they age; how old would a young, young adult, etc, dragons be; etc? My google-fu is fail this week. I'm going to blame the sedatives the dentists gave me on Tuesday.

I guess you'll have to get one of the draconomicons for that.
However, remember that your world doesn't have to fit the default world 100%, and you can enable dragons to lay eggs before they are labelled 'adult' in the monster manuals.
Get your Microsoft Word Monster Statistics Block Template here! My Campaign
Sign In to post comments