When printing, items/cards don't print

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Just printed out my character.  He's 7 pages long when viewed on the monitor, the last 4 pages being made up of the powers/items cards.

When using the Character Builder sheets, it printed 4 completely blank pages, then did the first 3 pages.  So none of the cards printed at all.  

When using the Essentials sheets, it printed out 2 completely blank pages, then 2 pages of powers/items cards, then the first 3 pages.  So it didn't print 2 pages of cards. 

Using the Essentials sheets, I then selected print and typed in 6-7 for the pages to print out, to see if I could force it to print those pages; it doesn't print anything at all, not even blank pages.
Just printed out my character.  He's 7 pages long when viewed on the monitor, the last 4 pages being made up of the powers/items cards.

When using the Character Builder sheets, it printed 4 completely blank pages, then did the first 3 pages.  So none of the cards printed at all.  

When using the Essentials sheets, it printed out 2 completely blank pages, then 2 pages of powers/items cards, then the first 3 pages.  So it didn't print 2 pages of cards. 

Using the Essentials sheets, I then selected print and typed in 6-7 for the pages to print out, to see if I could force it to print those pages; it doesn't print anything at all, not even blank pages.

As a workaround, I printed to an .xps file, then just printed the last 2 pages of that.

For pages 6-7, now that I've printed them out with this workaround, I can see that the top margins is *extremely* narrow.  By my measurement, it's 2.5mm.  In contrast, pages 4-5 have a top margin of 6mm (which is still very narrow).  I wonder if this has anything to do with it-- maye certain methods of printing detect if you're printing dangerously close to the edge of the sheet?  Just a wild guess. 

As a workaround, I printed to an .xps file, then just printed the last 2 pages of that.

For pages 6-7, now that I've printed them out with this workaround, I can see that the top margins is *extremely* narrow.  By my measurement, it's 2.5mm.  In contrast, pages 4-5 have a top margin of 6mm (which is still very narrow).  I wonder if this has anything to do with it-- maye certain methods of printing detect if you're printing dangerously close to the edge of the sheet?  Just a wild guess. 

Most ppl have issues with the huge spool file sizes and instead print to a "PDF printer" and set the resolution down to ~150 dpi.  Then it's an easy matter to print from there.
Im having an issue, where all I get is 4 blank screens with the dnd logo on the top of one, and then blank

not sure how to print to a pdf, but seriously, I cant just hit print and get my sheet?  what is the deal with that?

Im honestly trying to give this new character builder a chance, and they sure are making it tought to be gracefull here.

steve
Im having an issue, where all I get is 4 blank screens with the dnd logo on the top of one, and then blank

not sure how to print to a pdf, but seriously, I cant just hit print and get my sheet?  what is the deal with that?

Im honestly trying to give this new character builder a chance, and they sure are making it tought to be gracefull here.

steve

It's really not that hard.  Mine of choice is CutePDF (cutepdf.com).  You just install and you'll have a new "printer" so that when you go to "print" your document you just select the "PDF printer" and it prompts you for a path/file name.  Go into "properties" of the printer and set the DPI to ~150 dpi and go.  This will generate a file on your hard drive that can be opened with Adobe Acrobat Reader (a PDF file).  Imagine that.

Also of note is that the printing issue is only the fault of WotC indirectly.  By that I mean that they chose to develop this thing in Silverlight and the only built in printing in Silverlight is to create a giant image.  The higher the resolution of said image, the larger the size of data that must be spooled to the printer.  I believe that the next version of Silverlight is getting new print options and (once complete) I expect they will upgrade the builder to that version to take advantage of the new printing options (from Microsoft).  I don't expect them to put a lot of effort (if any) into "reinventing the wheel" when all they really need to do is just wait for Microsoft to do it for them.
Sign In to post comments