Samurai (fighter) at-will power for japanese themed homebrew

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
I run a D&D game and we are starting a new campaign which I figured it might be fun if it was Japanese themed. So i decided to create a couple of new powers for my players who might want to go a samurai themed fighter, my other powers for me are pretty balanced but my new at-will i'm not so sure. Can you take a look please?

Ki Strike
You use your internal energy to fuel your strike.
At-Will * Martial, Weapon
Standard Action         Melee 1

Target: One creature
Attack: Strength+2 vs. AC

Hit: 1[W] + Strength + Constitution modifier damage. Increase damage to 2[W] + Strength + Constitution modifier at 21st level.

Special: You take 2/3/4 damage which cannot be reduced in any way

Hell no. This is extremely powerful. It's like Twin Strike on steroids to get a free attack in addition to whatever encounter or daily you throw out in a round. Totally inappropriate on a Fighter and even too powerful to serve as a Striker bonus-damage feature.

I also don't really see what being able to attack twice as fast has to do with being a Samurai, but that's a side issue. 
Epic Dungeon Master

Want to give your players a kingdom of their own? I made a 4e rule system to make it happen!

Your Kingdom awaits!
Update 5th Sep 2011: Added a sample kingdom, as well as sample of play.
Is this a bit more appropriate?
Think it's a bit on the weak side now, Weapon Master's Strike with an Axe does the same thing, only without taking damage and it has a bunch of other bonusses as well.

Hm, how about throwing on a +2 to hit as well? That puts it about on par with Brash Strike, except you trade a slightly higher chance of being hit (sometimes, when you're not already granting CA) for a few certain points of damage.

Also I'd up the damage you take at higher levels, 2 points becomes inconsequential. Considering making it 3 at paragon and 4 at epic at least. Depending on how it plays out, it might need more.
Epic Dungeon Master

Want to give your players a kingdom of their own? I made a 4e rule system to make it happen!

Your Kingdom awaits!
Great idea! You're right about the damage though i'll make it 2/3/4.
You probably need to specify that the damage you take scales with the tier. Also it's a bit odd that the attack scales on 1 and three but the damage you recieve scales on 1, 2, and three.
While not a mechanical issue, I'd be a little wary of ever taking an at-will that damaged me with every use.  Once you blow through your encounters and dailies, you might nickel and dime yourself to death with it.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
While not a mechanical issue, I'd be a little wary of ever taking an at-will that damaged me with every use.  Once you blow through your encounters and dailies, you might nickel and dime yourself to death with it.

If only every fighter had access to a STR vs. AC, 1[w] + STR basic attack to fall back on. ;)
If you look past the plot and the voice acting, Metroid: Other M was an okay game. Not a great game, but an adequate one. Not using the Metroid item collect jingle though? That, was a mistake.
Or their other at-will(s).
Epic Dungeon Master

Your Kingdom awaits!

Ki Strike ... You take 2/3/4 damage

wut?
I must have been doing something wrong in kendo.

Imho, brash strike (MP1) should do the trick (without the silly weapon limitation)

Qube's block builder: if you want to create blocks for powers, items and monsters for this forum, but don't know html
Signature in a box
For years, I've lived a double life. In the day, I do my job - I ride the bus, roll up my sleeves with the hoi-polloi. But at night, I live a life of exhilaration, of missed heartbeats and adrenalin. And, if the truth be known a life of dubious virtue. I won't deny it - I've been engaged in violence, even indulged in it. I've maimed and killed adversaries, and not merely in self-defence. I've exhibited disregard for life, limb and property, and savoured every moment. You may not think it, to look of me but I have commanded armies, and conquered worlds. And though in achieving these things I've set morality aside, I have no regrets. For though I've led a double life, at least I can say - I've lived.

3.jpg
D&D Home Page - What Monster Are You? - Stone Gaint

Scipio: And Chihuahuas have definitely improved in the "attacking ankles, yapping, and being generally annoying" environment. Me: OK, am I the only who sees an analogy between forum trolls & Chihuahuas?
Some of my work:
XDMC 19 (silver): A full fledged assassins guild (with stats, skill challenges, ...)link XDMC 14 (Bronze): a one shot campaign for beginning DMs/players. link XDMC 16: Paragon path: the Epitome: being better then all then any one else. link (note: this is balanced) XDMC 25: The Gelatinous Cube mount Guide To Disreality: a collection of houserules - Introduction & table of content
My ego in a box
who am I kidding? my ego would never fit in a box
I feel like this thread is missing some text...

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg)

Look at my Playable Illithid, my Monster Generating excel file , my Lifestealer in progresss (Heroic tier almost complete!) , our Improved Orc, our Improving Kenku and our Improving Duergar
Also, take a look at my friend's Improved Minotaur, Gadren's amazing Arcane Archer and of course the Avatar Project
More links! Qube's Block Builder, Classless D&D and the characters I've created using the classless system.