09/22/2011 TD: "One of Each, and Some Springboards"

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Top Decks article, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Gotta love those snowcovered island spells.

These decks all seem terrible.

Smallpox and six drops?

How do you win with the Snapcaster deck? A single Wurmcoil and a set of bears? I wouldn't count on the Drownyard since I'd figure people to be heavy on Ghost Quarters.

And what is Primeval Titan doing in that green/white/black deck? I can't see how Grave Titan wouldn't be the best finisher, or Sun Titan with Liliana?

Also I don't think anyone will be playing black for Inquisition in any deck.

And again Primeval Titan in the last deck? Why? So you can get ALL FOUR OF THE MOUNTAINS IN YOUR ENTIRE DECK for your Koth? Are you sure you don't want Dungrove Elder as well?
A whole playset of Green Sun's? For five cards out of your deck? Not even a Thrun or something?

Way to phone it in...

Yes I mad.
Is that Oath deck simply supposed to win on the back of a singleton Archangel?  Also, what is the "Unknown Card" in the Oath deck?
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
Is that Oath deck simply supposed to win on the back of a singleton Archangel?  Also, what is the "Unknown Card" in the Oath deck?

The Oath decklist has been mis-typed.

The four 'unknown cards' shouldn't exist, and there should be two Archangels. Then the deck is 60 cards (26 + 2 + 32).

Source:  magic.tcgplayer.com/db/print.asp?ID=2536
While we're on the subject of questionable card choices, why run Stoic Rebuttal in a deck with just one artifact when Dissipate is available?  Particularly important in an environment with Flashback and other assorted ways to use the graveyard as a resource.
The problem is that all of those decks and indeed most of the best decks are based on uber-powerful interactions between specific cards.  Without those specific cards, the deck fails.  Trying to redo the deck with close approximations that are weaker than the original, in a different format, will fail.  I think all of the decks you posted will fail.  The only one that I actually like is the SolarFlare deck.  But the key engine in that deck wasn't Smallpox but rather Haakon/Court Hussar as a draw engine and then recursion.  Smallpox was merely a discard outlet that you could use for value.  We don't have as many ways to abuse Smallpox in this meta, but we do have other, arguably better discard engines.  We don't have Haakon/Court Hussar, but we do have a better reanimator in Unburial Rites.  I immediately thought of reanimator when I saw that card and I'd start there. 

I think a core of Forbidden Alchemy, Visions of Beyond, Liliana of the Veil, Unburial Rites, and Divine Reckoning would work as a great starting place.  From there, I like more reanimation and more ways to abuse the graveyard for value.  Vengeful Pharaoh seems made for a deck like this.  Meanwhile, there are better things to recur than Grave Titan, to the tune of Jin-Gitaxias, Core-Augur.  If you are going to put so much work into reanimating something, you may as well win for sure when it sticks.  I'd also include more flashback cards to control the game.  I like the idea, I just think it could be improved here or there.          
Artisan rotates out in a couple weeks. Probably not the best choice.
Artisan rotates out in a couple weeks. Probably not the best choice.

You're right.  Brain Fart.  I edited my post...this is what happens when I comment on standard lol

If you are dead set on recurring a fattie via unburial rites, i'd go the route of zombie infestation (and makes a token along the way). Sadly, with no turn one mana acceleration, jin in the third won't happen, but at least that gives us time to dig deeper with alchemy.
I'd also include extra flashback spells (either discarded to infestation or hardcast twice) - feeling of dread seems like a good way to stave off the attack for a couple of turns.

Smallpox and six drops?

Yes, smallpox and six drops, because if you're doing it right you're not going to be casting any of them.  You discard the fat to your own Smallpox/Liliana then get them cheap with Unburial Rites (likely flashbacked for an even further reduction in cost).

How do you win with the Snapcaster deck? A single Wurmcoil and a set of bears? I wouldn't count on the Drownyard since I'd figure people to be heavy on Ghost Quarters.

No, you don't win with a single Wurmcoil and a set of bears.  You win with a single Wurmcoil, a set of bears, a Volition Reins, and a lot of countermagic that the bears let you flashback.  Although the brew deck should probably be running more than 8 counterspells to pull off what it wants to.

And what is Primeval Titan doing in that green/white/black deck? I can't see how Grave Titan wouldn't be the best finisher, or Sun Titan with Liliana?

It's not a green/white/black deck, it's a green/white/black/blue deck.  While Grave Titan or Sun Titan might be more powerful finishers, maybe the fact that it's a 4 color deck means it needs the color fixing Primeval Titan provides.  Or maybe Primeval Titan's there because he's a finisher that lets your Green Sun's Zeniths (which are there already for color fixing) do something other than fetch Birds of Paradise.

And again Primeval Titan in the last deck? Why? So you can get ALL FOUR OF THE MOUNTAINS IN YOUR ENTIRE DECK for your Koth? Are you sure you don't want Dungrove Elder as well?
A whole playset of Green Sun's? For five cards out of your deck? Not even a Thrun or something?

Yeah, you could use Primeval Titan to fetch mountains for Koth.  Or maybe you could use it to fetch Kessig Wolf Run so that your Primeval Titan can swing for 12 instead of 6 on the following turn.  And even if your opponent nukes the Primeval Titan, you used it to fetch up what is essentially a re-usable pump spell which can be used to boost any of your other creatures.  Accelerate into Prime with Birds, find the Wolf Run, and when they Doom Blade the Prime Titan swing for 5 with the Birds?  I will agree that the Green Sun's Zeniths are a little silly here, though.

Way to phone it in...

Eh, maybe a little, but not for most of the reasons you were so incensed about.  Creating the closest equivalents to old standard decks using the soon-to-be-current standard cards is a little on lazier side, but that doesn't make them any less cool as ideas.
Inquisition of Kozilek? I wish
Unfortunately Inquisition of Kozilek is not an option as it is rotating out at the same time Innistrad comes in.