Export/Import

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Is it possible now to export monsters from the online builder and import them then to the offline builder?
Yes.  Initial reports and testing show that it is not 100% accurate however.  I haven't tried it since the latest hotfix, so I cannot tell if if the minor editing is still requried.

Celebrate our differences.

I tried it out several times on Tuesday when the new MB launched, and it didn't work at all.  Only powers transfered... hp's, defenses, resists, etc. didn't come over at all.  I'll try again today when I get home.
I tried it out several times on Tuesday when the new MB launched, and it didn't work at all.  Only powers transfered... hp's, defenses, resists, etc. didn't come over at all.  I'll try again today when I get home.

What were the results?

What were the results?

I just tested this myself and got the same results. Only powers come across. At this time importing to the classic MB from the new tool does not work.

What were the results?

I just tested this myself and got the same results. Only powers come across. At this time importing to the classic MB from the new tool does not work.

If it doesn't work now it is unlikely to ever work.  They probably added XML tags in the new builder that the old builder doesn't understand (parsing).

What were the results?

If it doesn't work now it is unlikely to ever work.  They probably added XML tags in the new builder that the old builder doesn't understand (parsing).

I have to agree. It seems very unlikely that they will spend time making adjustments to accommodate the classic MB and even less likely that they would do something with the classic MB to read the new output.

What were the results?

Ditto.

Very sad.  Cry
So I exported an aarakora darter from the online MB and imported into the original MB.  Got the same result of bringing only the powers over.  Then I played with each number in the stats section (i.e. put each defense up one, then lowered it back by 1; each attack up 1, down 1; hp's up 1, down 1; etc.).  I also filled in each area that was blank but should have something (i.e. fly speed).  Hit save and exit, and it was all there!

Tried it a couple more times with other Standard monsters and it worked.

Tried the same thing with Abalach-Re (a solo) and some type of aboleth (an elite), and both froze my original monster builder.

It's something, I guess.

Something, I guess. The only reason I would like to import into CMB would be for the output and even that seems like too much work with out the gymnastics you describe here.

A lack of useable output and some real storage are the new tools biggest drawbacks.

A lack of ... some real storage

I'll have to disagree with this.  Viewed in terms of "number of encounters" if we say that you use no more than 3 distinct creatures in any given encounter and you don't ever reuse any, then you have ~17 encouters worth of creature storage which is almost 2 whole levels.  Throw in some non-combat encounters and you're there.  At that point I really wouldn't be reusing any of those creatures.
[I'll have to disagree with this. 

Fair enough, for some that may seem like alot, for some it might feel like not so much.
A lack of ... some real storage

I'll have to disagree with this.  Viewed in terms of "number of encounters" if we say that you use no more than 3 distinct creatures in any given encounter and you don't ever reuse any, then you have ~17 encouters worth of creature storage which is almost 2 whole levels.  Throw in some non-combat encounters and you're there.  At that point I really wouldn't be reusing any of those creatures.

That's typically not how DM's do things.  DM's create.  DM's that like to create monsters and are going to have a huge arsenal of monsters.  Trial and error.  Varying levels.  Theories and concepts.  So on and so on.  And we should not have to clean house in order to make room for new monsters.  I can get at least 5gb of storage for free on the internet.  DDI is a service I am paying for.  Certainly, they can give us a much greater cap. 

50 monsters is not even one Monster Manual's worth of monsters.  It may be enough for you.  It may be enough for others.  It is not enough for me.  It is not going to be enough for others.

The 50 monster cap is reasonable IF they give us the ability to monitor and search/filter our monsters held in local storage.  If they don't give us this access, the 50 cap limit is rather low.  1000 cap would be more like it.

Celebrate our differences.

Sign In to post comments