Budget deck for FNM. Blue/Green Hexproof Equip

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
I usually play casual/modern but I want to make a deck to play at FNM. However, since that is the only time I ever play standard, I'd rather not drop a ridculous amount of cash on some of the more expensive cards for the format. So here's my idea for a relatively cheap deck that uses mostly inexpensive cards.

Creatures:

Viridian Emissary x4
Invisible Stalker x4
Sacred Wolf x4
Aven Fleetwing x4
Thrun, the Last Troll x2

Instants:

Beast Within x4

Sorceries:

Sleep x2

Enchantments:

Curiosity x4

Artifacts:

Viridian Claw x4
Greatsword x 4
Barbed Battlegear x2 
Argentum Armor x 2

Lands:

Hinterland Harbor x4
Island x8
Forest x8 

Sideboard:

Dismember x4 for Phyrexian Crusader
Claustrophobia x4 for Blightsteel Colossus

not sure what else.

The deck is straightforward. I throw out creatures, I equip them, I keep attacking. Curiosity on an Invisible Stalker and Viridian Emissary chump blocking gets  things going, Viridian Claw makes Sacred Wolf my blocker. The offensive equpments go on Aven Fleetwing, with Argentum Armor as the nail in the coffin.
Sleep is not going to be standard legal come next friday, so that should be cut. I would also cut the wolf for a set of Dungrove Elders. They are relatively inexpensive. Argentum armor is pretty costly and the only mana ramp you have is based on Emmisary dieing. I would probably drop it for piston sledge as you could go turn 2 Stalker, turn 3 sledge, and start beating in for 4, which is a 5 turn clock. you could even go janky and use grafted exolskeleton which, if unblocked ends games in a hurry
"My name is Cael and Sonat Hedo-Lina of Lorrd. You killed my father, prepare to die!"
Sleep is not going to be standard legal come next friday, so that should be cut. I would also cut the wolf for a set of Dungrove Elders. They are relatively inexpensive. Argentum armor is pretty costly and the only mana ramp you have is based on Emmisary dieing. I would probably drop it for piston sledge as you could go turn 2 Stalker, turn 3 sledge, and start beating in for 4, which is a 5 turn clock. you could even go janky and use grafted exolskeleton which, if unblocked ends games in a hurry

Never mix infect with non-infect without proliferation.
Oh snap, you're absolutely right about Sleep. Too bad. Perhaps I could swap for Overrun? It's Green-heavy, but serves the same purpose as a finisher. I had considered the Dungrove Elder, but I wasn't sure if it's worth it with only 8 actual Forests in the deck. Do you think it is?

Oh snap, you're absolutely right about Sleep. Too bad. Perhaps I could swap for Overrun? It's Green-heavy, but serves the same purpose as a finisher. I had considered the Dungrove Elder, but I wasn't sure if it's worth it with only 8 actual Forests in the deck. Do you think it is?

Even only for say, a 2/2 Hexproof, 3 mana's a pretty good deal, so I say yes on the Dungrove.

/isinterestedinmakingthisdeck

Hah, well if you get it and end up winning a tourney or something I hope I have all the cards before the prices skyrocket. I'll see about swapping out the wolves for the elder. I'm still wondering what to do about Sleep. Is there a better Blue or Green option than Overrun for a finisher card?
Eh, I say drop the Great Swords for the Dun's, or at least -2 the greatsword and -2 sleep (until you can find a replacement for sleep.) for them.
one of the cards you should consider if youre focusing on hexproof is Spirit Mantle normally a no due to 2 for 1's but making something hexproof with immune to creatures makes it very very difficult to stop
somehow i think Infiltration Lens would be better than Curiosity. its like, so are u gonna let me hit you with my beefed up creature? Or are you gonna let me draw two cards? as opposed to "are u going to let me hit you AND draw A card?"

plus u can turn one drop a lens and drop a creature later.

also i would swap out Barbed Battlegear for 2x Demonmail Hauberk. it doesnt kill a Stalker or Wolf, but it DOES make use of Viridian Emissary by sacing it to equip another creature. nice synergy if u ask me.
and to comment on replacing Sleep.

uhm, perhaps Frost Breath, Deceiver Exarch, Ambush Viper, or Lumberknot?
Sign In to post comments