DoTP Rules Q&A

270 posts / 0 new
Last post
I thought it would be useful to have a particular thread for any kind of rules questions about the DoTP cards. Although there is a more general Q&A section of the forum, that is for all Magic cards, I feel that DoTP players may get more out of other DoTP players answering the questions. It will make the answers more tailored to the game and the specific cardbase (without the need to go into more detail than the game requires), and to take into account the rules differences between DoTP and full Magic. The general Q&A forum can also be a little intimidating (even for me Tongue out ) and I imagine people may feel more comfortable asking here in this smaller community.

This could be useful for anyone who just has a random question, is wondering about something when building their deck, or thinks they have found a bug and want to check it out before officially reporting it.

I hope you'll find this useful! So feel free to put any questions you have here, and myself or other community members I'm sure will be happy to answer them

EDIT: I'm also happy to answer questions about other Magic cards not in DoTP here.

You can use Autocard to help other people see what cards you are talking about. You do it like this:

[c]Giant Growth[/c] gives Giant Growth

[c=Giant Growth]Funny comment[/c] gives Funny comment 
I am a Rules advisor. Feel free to send me any questions as a private message! Check if you have found a bug in Duels 2013 Report a bug Report a technical issue I have written several guides to help new DoTP players here, move to the first post to start reading. They are also in Wordpress format here. The principles involved should still be useful for Duels 2013!
Useful links:
Find other DoTP players - a database of friendly players, find a match or post your name here to be added to the list! I'll add a D13 section if anyone would like. Ask a rules question - ask anything about DoTP, Magic in general, or to check out if you've found a bug by asking if the rules are being followed. Community thread for general chatter in the DoTP part of the forum! Guide to Yugioh on Xbox live: A beginner's guide focusing on the similarities and differences to Magic.
Nice. This surely will be useful for a lot of new players. And hopefully it will reduce the number of threads about glitches.
Thanks Yes that's true, it can consolidate all of them into one. Also a reference point for if it's already been brought up.
I am a Rules advisor. Feel free to send me any questions as a private message! Check if you have found a bug in Duels 2013 Report a bug Report a technical issue I have written several guides to help new DoTP players here, move to the first post to start reading. They are also in Wordpress format here. The principles involved should still be useful for Duels 2013!
Useful links:
Find other DoTP players - a database of friendly players, find a match or post your name here to be added to the list! I'll add a D13 section if anyone would like. Ask a rules question - ask anything about DoTP, Magic in general, or to check out if you've found a bug by asking if the rules are being followed. Community thread for general chatter in the DoTP part of the forum! Guide to Yugioh on Xbox live: A beginner's guide focusing on the similarities and differences to Magic.
ok, explain this:

a card like Sangromancer goes into combat and faces a defender of equal power/toughness.  So they both die.  (This goes for Murder of Crows, too, and I'm sure others.)

Is that supposed to trigger the Sangromancer's ability?

I ask because I see the card hit the graveyard and THEN trigger the effect (including the graphics).  Maybe it's a graphics thing?
Yes, it is supposed to trigger the ability. A permanent with an ability that reads, "When ... is put into the graveyard from the battlefield" is able to "see" other permanents going into the graveyard at the same time. Once it is in the graveyard, its ability will trigger based on anything else that went there simultaneously. So the game has it correct that the Sangromancer goes to the graveyard, then the ability triggers if an opponent's creature dies at the same time. Although it shows graphically the ability being in the graveyard, the ability itself is independent and should really be shown on its own floating around like a spell does when waiting to resolve. It has triggered from the card in the graveyard, but the ability is just then "on the stack".

Rules:
603.6d Normally, objects that exist immediately after an event are checked to see if the event matched any trigger conditions. Continuous effects that exist at that time are used to determine what the trigger conditions are and what the objects involved in the event look like. However, some triggered abilities must be treated specially because the object with the ability may no longer be on the battlefield, may have moved to a hand or library, or may no longer be controlled by the appropriate player. The game has to “look back in time” to determine if these abilities trigger. Leaves-the-battlefield abilities, abilities that trigger when a permanent phases out, abilities that trigger when an object that all players can see is put into a hand or library, abilities that trigger specifically when an object becomes unattached, abilities that trigger when a player loses control of an object, and abilities that trigger when a player planeswalks away from a plane will trigger based on their existence, and the appearance of objects, prior to the event rather than afterward.
Useful links:
I forgot to add that if anyone has questions about Magic cards not in DoTP, I'm happy to answer them here also
Useful links:
Goodday

I play DotP some time now, but just started to get into the detailes of rules, deckbuilding etc. So I have alot of questions, what might be obvious to some players, please forgive me ;)

1. why does nobody likes the life-gain artifacts? In fast-damage decks it is clear - but <strong>Demon's horn in the new Liliana deck? It seems quite defensive to me, so it can benefit from life-gain? Or?

2. Lure  what does it do?  As I understand it, if you attack with the enchanted card, everybody will block it and only it?

3. Does Wreath of Geists aura effect updates automatically, depending on the number of creatures in the graveyard, or +X will be the number of creatures at the moment of the cast?

linking cards is done like so (without the *) [c*]Lure[/c*]

1 - personal preference, but for 2 Converted Mana Cost (CMC) you could have a little flying chap that will do damage. And you cant win a game by gaining life.
On a persona note, i played a game when i lost even though i had 100+ life. the game was a bit of a stalemate and my opp forced me to discard / mill my deck

2- Lure means everything must block that creature. so a usual tactic is whack it on a tiny creature and attack with everything. Your opp has to send all his creatures at the 1/1, meaning your big guys get through.

Alternately, if your opp has a few small creatures (lets say 3 1/1's), try equiping it to a big creature (eg a 5/5) and watch him get annoyed at the fact that you keep killing his creatures. the latter may be less effective as a game-winning move, but can be more fun.

3 - edit: Actually i think it is updated. so it will go up as creatures die
Hi, welcome Hexenhammer To add to what Timmybee said:

1) I've got a big discussion of why I don't like them in my guide here. You are right though, as this is a defensive kind of deck, it makes more sense to include them in this deck than in most. In the end it comes down to personal preference, but even in this deck I wouldn't bother personally. Especially as you already have other much better spells which gain you a lot of life. Basically they don't help you win, and they don't stop you losing either. They generally either slow down your win, or slow down your defeat, as they are not a permanent answer to anything.

2) When the opponent is assigning their blockers, for each of their creatures that is able to block your Lured creature, then it has to and can't block anything else instead. If their creature isn't able to block that creature, then it can block whatever else it wants. For example, if you put Lure on a creature with flying and attack with it, it will force all flying creatures the opponent controls to block it, but all those without flying can block any other (non flying) creatures or not block at all.

3) Yes, it continually updates based on the number of creatures in your graveyard. A continuous effect of a permanent (one that continually applies at all times and doesn't need to be activated or triggered) will always update its value of X in accordance with the state of the game. An effect from an Instant, Sorcery, or a triggered or activated ability will calculate the value of X as it resolves and continues to just use that value regardless of game state. So for example, playing an extra Mountain won't change the bonus after casting Downhill Charge, and even though it's an equipment, and similarly for the ability of Magma Sliver. If Magma Sliver just said "All slivers get +X/+0 where X is the number of Slivers on the battlefield", then it would update itself since its then a continuous effect rather than a triggered ability.

(Triggered ability are ones that read "When/Whenever/At..." and activated ability are ones which read {cost}: effect)
Useful links:
I added a link to this thread in my signature for convenience.
Useful links:
1. why does nobody likes the life-gain artifacts? In fast-damage decks it is clear - but <strong>Demon's horn in the new Liliana deck? It seems quite defensive to me, so it can benefit from life-gain? Or?

Try some Free For All games if you want to see effective life gaining.
- There are more opponents who could cast spells of the colors that give you life.
- There are more people to pick up the slack removing major threats if you're spending cards on these artifacts.
- A quick kill may be more of a threat to you with more opponents.

In general, though, one good way to put them is like this:
For 2 mana, what if you had a 2-cost creature that could kill an opposing creature AND *prevent* the damage that creature will be doing to you.  Life never lost is as good as life gained, and it also removes the other creature.  or does damage over every turn, or attracts a removal spell that would hit something more expensive, or so on.
The end result:  Defense = Life.
Okay.  I'm playing against someone 1-on-1.  They bring out a Stuffy Doll and naturally choose me as its target.  Next turn, I cast Pariah on it.  The next turn, my opponent taps the Stuffy Doll.  What happens??  Are we just stuck in an endless loop and call it a draw?
Okay.  I'm playing against someone 1-on-1.  They bring out a Stuffy Doll and naturally choose me as its target.  Next turn, I cast Pariah on it.  The next turn, my opponent taps the Stuffy Doll.  What happens??  Are we just stuck in an endless loop and call it a draw?

If your opponent deals any damage to you, then there is an endless loop that cannot be extracted from (no 'may') so the game ends in a draw. If he is able to make stuffy doll take any amount of damage (such as by tapping), the same applies. Therefore you are required to only inflict damage that stuffy doll cannot prevent (such as by flying/evasive creatures or direct burn spells)* or either player is required to eliminate the player by means other than life points (poison counters (not implemented and would probably require proliferating poison counters already there as inflicting the first poison counter would require damage (or possibly transfering)) or milling). Alternatively, either player needs to remove 1 or other permanents.

104.4b If a game that's not using the limited range of influence option (including a two-player game) somehow enters a "loop" of mandatory actions, repeating a sequence of events with no way to stop, the game is a draw. Loops that contain an optional action don't result in a draw. 

*You also have to find a means to prevent the stuffy doll from tapping, or be prepared to inflict massive amounts of damage at instant speed before the stuffy doll can resolve its activated/triggered ability(ies)

Robvalue: Copy target bug or glitch. You may choose a new card for the copy... --- http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29193605/Promotional_Unlock_Cards_List --- Will never buy games made by Arena Net again.
Thanks for the response, LadenSwallow. 

Another question: If your opponent has a Copperhoof Vorrac, it gets pumped up for each permanent you have untapped, right?  A long time ago, when I was playing paper magic, you could tap lands at anytime for mana, and anything that didn't get spent hurt you in the form of 'mana-burn'.  Is that still the case now?  Could you block the Vorrac and then tap all your mana (taking mana-burn) to lower its toughness to kill it?

Another question: If your opponent has a Copperhoof Vorrac, it gets pumped up for each permanent you have untapped, right?  A long time ago, when I was playing paper magic, you could tap lands at anytime for mana, and anything that didn't get spent hurt you in the form of 'mana-burn'.  Is that still the case now?  Could you block the Vorrac and then tap all your mana (taking mana-burn) to lower its toughness to kill it?

I haven't ever played paper, so the following may be wrong.

Mana burn has become obsolete (no longer used). As such you could tap your lands to produce mana to weaken the vorrac, then either the mana is used (potentially to buff the blocker) or you lose the mana at the end of the phase without taking damage from the unspent mana. 
Robvalue: Copy target bug or glitch. You may choose a new card for the copy... --- http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29193605/Promotional_Unlock_Cards_List --- Will never buy games made by Arena Net again.

Mana burn has become obsolete (no longer used). As such you could tap your lands to produce mana to weaken the vorrac, then either the mana is used (potentially to buff the blocker) or you lose the mana at the end of the phase without taking damage from the unspent mana. 

Okay.  So, how does it work in DOTP?  As far as I know, you can't just tap your mana whenever you want to.  But you should be able to in order to make the Vorrac less scary.

Okay.  So, how does it work in DOTP?  As far as I know, you can't just tap your mana whenever you want to.  But you should be able to in order to make the Vorrac less scary.

LadenSwallow is right but sadly its not working in dotp.
Say I'm in a championship match for money, what's stopping me say building a deck that uses Stuffy Doll and Pariah for other potentially game winning purposes, but if I'm under the hammer, can be combined instead to screw up the game repeatedly?

That's a good question.  As a follow up: Stuffy Doll and Pariah would be a great combination to play because any damage dealt to you would be redirected to another player.  They would effectively be killing themselves.  But what if they don't attack you?  Could you choose to attack yourself?  In multi-player, when you attack, you can choose which player each creature is attacking.  Can you choose yourself as the target of an attack?

thank you for answers   
and I have more questions Tongue out 

1. does 2 Quag Sicknesses stuck on the same creature? 
2. if I drop toughness of Darksteel Colossus down to 0 with 2 above auras (if they stuck) or 1 + Marsh Casualties, or damage it first and then apply Quag or Marsh - will it leave the battlefield (back to the library)?  Or it will stay there with Х / 0 ?
thank you for answers   
and I have more questions  

1. does 2 Quag Sicknesses stuck on the same creature? 
2. if I drop toughness of Darksteel Colossus down to 0 with 2 above auras (if they stuck) or 1 + Marsh Casualties, or damage it first and then apply Quag or Marsh - will it leave the battlefield (back to the library)?  Or it will stay there with Х / 0 ?

1.You can do that, theres no problem with that.
2.Yes you can kill him with -1/-1 counters, 11 toughness is a lot but its possible.
Although you need to do it with -1/-1 counters exclusively, the combination with damage does not work.

@Steverevolutionary
In the case of stuffy doll + pariah, if no player can interrupt the loop, then the game would end in a draw. In most tournaments this would be no problem as you play best out of 3 (or more). If there are only draws (very unlikely) in a single match, then it depends on the tournament, some are fine with "draw" as the final result. If this is not the case then the players have to fight an additional round to determine the winner.
If this round should end in a draw too, then as far as i know, the judge decides who wins.
couple more noob questions please

I am not quite sure how double strike works. Is it somehow mixed with first strike? Are both strikes count as first-strike? Or only one? Or none and first strike is a separate attribute?

which situation is correct:
if  i attack 1/2 creature with double-striked 1/1...
... I will deal 2 damage to it, kill it and survive
... I will deal 1 damage to it, it will deal 1 damage to me, kill me and survive staying on 1/1 
... I will deal 1 damage to it, it will deal 1 damage to me AND I will deal 1 damage to it, both dies

Is it the same with the block situation?

When both attacking and defending card have first strike - the rules as if they are both "normal" and they do damage simultaneously. Or?
And then both are double-striked?

And if first strike is completely separate thing from double strike - how does it work, if double-striked card attacks first-striked etc.?

First strikers deal their damage in the first strike damage segment, other creatures in the normal damage segment. Double strikers deal their damage in both the first strike damage segment and the normal damage segment. So they kind of deal their damage twice - the first time with first strike and then a second time without first strike.

If a 1/1 double striker attacks a 1/2 creature both will die:
1.Firststrike damage step:  the 1/1 doublestriker will deal 1 damage to the 1/2 creature but thats not enough to kill it because it has 2 toughness
2.Normal damage step: both creatures will deal 1 damage to each other and will die. The doublestriker because it has only 1 toughness, and the 1/2 because it already had 1 damage from the first strike damage step

If the 1/2 creature would have first strike, then it would survive and only the 1/1 doublestriker would die:
1.Firststrike damage step: Both the 1/1 doublestriker and the 1/2 firststriker deal 1 damage to each other. The 1/1 creature dies and the 1/2 survives because it has 2 toughness.
2.Normal damage step: As the 1/1 doublestriker is already dead it gets no chance to deal its damage in this step and the 1/2 survives
Ooh, this got made a sticky! Thanks to whoever did that

To confirm regarding Copperhoof Vorrac, in paper Magic you could indeed tap your lands for mana even if you had nothing to spend the mana on during combat simply to lower the stats of the Vorrac. Mana burn has been removed so you wouldn't even lose any life if you didn't spend the mana.

As there is no mana pool in DoTP, you can't ever add mana you aren't instantly using, you can only add it while casting a spell or paying for an ability. So that artificially makes the Vorrac much stronger in this game.

Regarding Stuffy Doll / Pariah, yes I think it's perfectly legal to include scenarios in your deck that could result in a draw like this. However this combo could be interrupted with anything that removes either permanent from the battlefield. I think this particular combo is a little expensive and fragile to rely on as a "drawmaker" in a constructed environment. I'm not a fan of this either, it's really more like a failing in the rules to resolve the scenario and unintentional interactions between cards.

A creature with double strike deals both first strike and regular combat damage. If there are any creatures with first or double strike involved in the combat, then there is an additional combat damage step which occurs first, and is only for first and double strike creatures. It is then followed by the normal combat step for all other creatures, plus those with double strike as well.

So for your example, if a 1/2 double strike is blocked or blocked by a 1/1 (either way works the same):

There is the additional first combat damage step since we have a double striker. The 1/2 deals its damage, the second one doesn't since it has neither first nor double strike. This kills the 1/1.

Then it moves to the standard combat step. The 1/2 would deal its damage here, but having no creature blocking it, it just "swings and misses" and its damage isn't applied to anything. [The defending player won't take the damage either unless the creature has trample. Non-trample creatures that have been blocked never deal any damage to the opponent even if the blocker gets removed before or during the combat damage.] The second creature is already dead so doesn't deal its damage. So the result is the 1/2 survives, and without even any damage on it.

If you have a creature with first strike blocking/blocked by another with first strike, they will both deal their damage in the first combat step. This may result in one or both of them being killed. Then if there are other non-first strike creatures, they deal their damage in the second combat step.

Same with a first strike blocking/blocked by a double strike, except the double striker also gets to deal its normal damage afterward (if it survives the first combat damage step). For example, a 2/4 first strike blocks a 2/4 double strike. They both deal 2 damage to each other in the first combat step, and both survive. Then the double striker deals another 2 damage in the regular step, so ends up killing the first striker and surviving with 2 damage on it. If you changed it to a 2/2 first striker and a 2/2 double striker, they both kill each other in the first combat step and the double striker doesn't make it to the second combat step to deal his regular damage.

Useful links:
maybe a bug but im not sure.

firsty sorry for not knowing the card names. i hate the CB deck.

i cast the 'bounce card' spell with kicker (to draw a card) on illusion x. i then duplicate the spell (with that {RR} spell) and pick illusion y. the bouncing works fine and both illusions go to grave (they're shy) but i only draw one card.

Is this correct? i was expecting / hoping to draw two
Great thread, Rob. Nice to see your signature grow and grow. Laughing Congrats for the sticky. You will help a lot of people with this thread.

IMAGE(http://oi39.tinypic.com/14mvxh5.jpg)

It's been reported that in general this is indeed a bug, that Reverberate isn't copying the fact that Into the Roil is kicked, and not giving you a card when it should.

This case is slightly different however. If you use a targeted spell on a "shy" illusion, and it's the only target, then since the target no longer exists at the time the spell resolves, the spell doesn't resolve at all. (A spell or ability that is trying to resolve but has no legal targets is countered by the rules of the game). This means none of the instructions at all are carried out, so you don't draw a card either. It's the same as if you tried to use Corrupt on Phantasmal Dragon, you won't gain the life since the whole spell doesn't resolve as it ends up with no target.

So if both the Illusion targets were shy in this case, you shouldn't have drawn a card at all. Both the original Into the Roil and the copy should have been countered, giving you no cards. Not sure how it ended up giving you even one!

But in general, you should have got 2 cards assuming the kicked Roil and the copy resolved normally. But it's a known bug that the copy isn't giving a card.

(If it's any help, you can view all the card names here I find that a handy site to have bookmarked.)

Crazytoast- Thanks very much! I was thinking yesterday it would be handy as a sticky, someone must have been listening in ;)
Useful links:
hm. well either i accidentally stumbled on two bugs, or my memory is incorrect and one wasnt shy. the latter is more likely.

Thanks for the answer and that link to all the cards
very nice explanations, thank you! Smile

No problems

As far as I have experienced, the game gets right all the first strike/double strike/normal combat interactions. Sometimes you'll get an unexpected result, due to a creature that is giving a bonus getting killed in the first strike step (like Imperious Perfect) and so that alters the stats of other creatures before they get to deal damage. But the game still gets this right.

If any of my explanations are ever unclear, I'm always happy to explain further!
Useful links:
Yeah I have a good question, on the Introductions are in order puzzle you know the one where you have zero life, if I steal Platinum Emperion with Conquering Manticore and I attack liliana with Platinum Emperion and Conquering Manticore  and she blocks Platinum Emperion with Abyssal Persecutor but she dies from the 5 damage from the manticore how come isn't the game counted as a draw but as a win for me?
more questions ^^

I use Retether 

if there is a Pacifism in the graveyard - will it attach to my creature as well?

if my only creature is destroyed while I am casting  Retether - seems I will have to attach auras to enemy creature, buffing it?
can it be avoided?

and if there is a Pacifism in the graveyard - will it attach to the enemy creature?
mtg_guru- I can't test out the challenge, but I can explain the result based on the cards you describe.

Explanation:
I take it that you are on 0 life and the only reason you're still in the game is that the opponent controls the Abyssal Persecutor. If you attack them and do them enough damage to take them to 0 (or less) life and the Persecutor gets lethal damage, then at first glance it would seem the game would be a draw but the game actually has this correct.

The damage is dealt to you and to the persecutor in the combat damage step. Your life total goes down to 0, and the Persecutor gets 8 damage marked on it. It doesn't get destroyed yet though. Creatures don't die from damage until state-based-actions (SBA) are checked, which is the "cleanup" the game does just before either player gets priority (gets to do something).

Now a player would get priority after combat, so the game checks for SBAs. There are lots of these, that most people don't think about, it's like what the game does in the "background". It checks if any need doing, if they do then they all happen at once, then they are checked again. Only when the check returns nothing to do does the game continue and the players can act.

The relevant SBAs for this sitation are:

• A creature (with toughness greater than 0) with damage equal to or greater than its toughness marked on it is destroyed.

• A player with 0 or less life loses the game.

So when the SBAs are checked, it sees that your opponent will lose the game for having 0 life, and the Persecutor will be destroyed for having lethal damage. At this point the Persecutor is still on the battlefield, so you don't lose the game for having 0 life. It then carries both these out at once.

Your opponent loses the game, and the Persecutor is put into the graveyard.

So that's it, the game is over. The game never gets to the next SBA check that would be done, if the game was still going, which would then make you lose the game for having 0 life and not having the Persecutor around to save you.

I know that's all a bit technical... but basically the Persecutor dies at the same time as the opponent, so it's around long enough to stop you dieing in the same "cleanup" of the game. I'm quite impressed the game got this right!

Hexenhammer- Yes, you have to attach all Auras in your graveyard to a legal target if there is one. This means that if in response your creature(s) are killed, you will end up having to enchant the opponent's creatures! A real drawback of the card. And if there's a Pacifism and your opponent has no creatures, you have to attach it to one of yours. You can attach it to one of theirs though if there is one.

EDIT: Sorry Chaos Tongue out Also note that you can use Retether to slip Pacifism onto your opponent's shroud or hexproof creature, since neither this nor the act of moving the Aura targets it.
Useful links:
more questions ^^

I use Retether 

if there is a Pacifism in the graveyard - will it attach to my creature as well?

if my only creature is destroyed while I am casting  Retether - seems I will have to attach auras to enemy creature, buffing it?
can it be avoided?

and if there is a Pacifism in the graveyard - will it attach to the enemy creature?

Retether lets you put all auras from your graveyard back into play. If one of them is pacifism and there is only one creature on the board, then you have to put the pacifism on that creature, even if that creature is under your control.
If the enemy has a creature then you can choose to put the pacifism on that creature. If your only creature is being destroyed while casting retether you will have to put all auras on an enemy creature. A way to avoid this could be to kill or bounce that creature in response or counter your own spell.

Although that options arent available if your playing 1 on 1.

Edit: robvalue was faster ^^ 
You may wish to know that it the Innistrad cards have been added to gatherer, but they don't seem to work with autocard yet. Hopefully soon.

I'll add how to autocard in the initial post of this thread as well.
Useful links:
and me again ^^

now I am trying to understand Hexproof/Shroud

the bearer can not be target of the spells/abilities
but what about non-target, "Area of Effect" abilities, so to say:
Marsh casualities or Massacre wurm -2/-2 ?
Pyroclasm?
or anything else? 
Hehe hi again

Anything that doesn't target a creature will affect shroud/opponent's hexproof creatures normally. So all the 3 cards you mention will work against them.

To see if something will work against shroud/opponent's hexproof, look carefully at the spell or ability to see if the word target appears on it. If it does, then that creature cannot be chosen for the target of that spell/ability. If that word does not appear on the spell/ability, then shroud/opponent's hexproof makes no difference.

The only cases where the word target doesn't appear explicitly is:

• When you are casting an Aura. You have to target the creature when you cast the Aura, so you cannot choose a shroud/opponent's hexproof creature to cast it on. However if it gets put onto the creature in another way that doesn't target it such as Retether, then shroud/opponent's hexproof makes no difference.

• Using an equip ability targets the creature. You can only target creatures you control, so you can use it on your own hexproof creatures, but not shroud creatures.

Useful links:
so does Cultural Exchange target the creatures, or just the players?  (I haven't yet been in a position to try to exchange for a shrouded creature.)
It targets only the players, so you can exchange for hexproof/shroud creatures.
so does Cultural Exchange target the creatures, or just the players?  (I haven't yet been in a position to try to exchange for a shrouded creature.)

Cultural Exchange targets the player, not the creatures.  As a result you can select your Phantasmal Bears without sacrificing them and even trade for creatures with shroud/hexproof.
The spell description is a bit confusing to me anyway. Do I only choose the number of creatures each player has to choose or do I actually get to make the creature choice for my opponent as well?
The spell description is a bit confusing to me anyway. Do I only choose the number of creatures each player has to choose or do I actually get to make the creature choice for my opponent as well?

You actually get to choose which players will exchange creatures, and then select which specific creatures will be exchanged between them.  I have not had a chance to test this card extensively but so far it can be quite fun, especially against Auramancer.