Monster Builder / Adventure Tools - does not load for me.

39 posts / 0 new
Last post
It says please wait... and that it is loading, similar to the load screen of the character builder, except that it never loads. 
Have not had issues with the character builder... using updated version of Firefox.  Any help would be appreciated.

Update: contacted customer service technical support, and the rep stated it was either a setting in Firefox or Silverlight...  downloaded Google Chrome and it works on that. 
You might try opening up the cookies for Wizards and deleting them. That helped me with a previous CB update where I had a similar issue. Worst case delete all the cookies with *wizards* in the name.

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

I'm having the same problems in Chrome, though not in IE.  Haven't tried running it in Firefox yet.  Delteing the cookies didn't help, unless going into Internet Options and deleting all the cookies from them isn't inclusive or specific enough.  I honestly don't know.
I am running Firefox in Privacy mode and having the same problem.  I will try IE shortly and report back on if it makes a difference.

EDIT:  Alright, I just tried IE and it worked fine.  Pop-up blocker was active in both IE and Firefox so I don't know what is going on.  Obviously some more rigorous testing is required.

EDIT 2:  Taking Firefox out of Privacy mode, deleting cookies, signing back in did not help.

Was there a recent update to Monster Builder or Silverlight that Firefox doesn't like?  I can still run Character Builder just fine.
I have the same issue in FF, IE, and chrome. Note: I have never opened any dnd site in Chrome until I tested the adventure tools. I'm not sure what is going on, yet.
I think the problem might be the cache for silverlight for programs. i had the same problem and it started working after i uninstalled chrome and reinstalled it.
Maybe I'll try that. I have done all the normal things with no results. I even reinstalled silverlight . This is simple enough and is not painful.

I've got all my info to the next level of ddi techs, so I am looking forward to seeing what they come up with.
The developers also ran across this problem in the last few days. It affects Firefox if you're not using the latest version. The problem should disappear if you update to the latest Firefox build. If that doesn't fix it immediately, make sure the browser is set to default settings and try again. If that still doesn't do it, let us know.

We've also noticed that importing monsters with blank name fields can lock you out. The solution to that is, don't import monsters with blank name fields.

Steve

If your only tool is a warhammer, every problem looks like a gnoll.
Update: Here's what I just got from Development.

The version of Firefox is not the problem but rather a setting in the browser that can cause Adventure Tools to hang. 

We implemented a recovery feature in Adventure Tools that allows the application to recover unsaved monsters by using Silverlight’s Isolated Storage. Most browsers have a setting so that Isolated Storage is not available, such as running your browser in Privacy Mode (IE calls it InPrivacy, and Chrome calls it Incognito mode). 

We’ll have a fix in the next release of AT so that running in Privacy mode will not hang, but the recovery option will then not be available.

If problems persist, let us know.

Steve 
I don't use private browsing. In fact, as I said earlier, I have never opened AT in Chrome until the other day to see if it was a Firefox thing.

This seems to me to be a Silverlight thing. Not browser specific (tested in firefox 7.0, Chrome 14.0.835.186 m, IE 9.0.812).

I made sure I have the latest Silverlight version (uninstalled and reinstalled), and all my browsers are current.

I'll keep playing around and see if I can come up with anything as well, cause I know I don't want to wait until they create a fix for it a month from now, and hope it works.Smile

Kimli;

Have you been unable to run the application in any browser, at all? If so, that would seem to be an entirely different problem.

Steve

Steve;

No, I have not been able to run the app in any browser. I sent in my original help ticket, and followed the suggestions they gave, including removing and re-installing Silverlight.  

The tech then said that he sent the info, including screenshots to the devs for further inspection, and that they would contact me later. That's where I left it.

I have tried a few other things on my end, to no avail, so now I am at the devs' mercy .

OK, thanks. Let me know if this gets resolved (or, more importantly, if it doesn't).

Steve

You might try asking on the CB forums. I had a problem like this with one of the CB updates, though removing all Wizards cookies fixed the issue for me (and seems not to help in your case).

An interesting question would be if it is account based. If you had someone else log in on your computer, or used someone else's computer where AT is working, would you still see the problem? Not sure if you have a friend that could help you check that.

If anyone sees this error and finds a fix, please post here.

Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

Funny enough, that is what I came back to discuss. I  logged on to a friend's account using my laptop, and AT loaded. I logged out and I logged back in with my account and got the error again. It seems like it is account specific.

I am going to get him to log onto my account on his machine and see if it loads. I will post back as soon as he does, and will be updating my ticket to support.

thank Alpha. 
Kimili, that's really useful news. You should pester Customer Support because this really suggests it is account based (especially if your second test confirms it) and should be something WotC can reset on their end somehow.

It says please wait... and that it is loading, similar to the load screen of the character builder, except that it never loads. 

Any chance you could try the same thing, Mendingwall? It would be interesting to see if this is also your issue and both could be resolved.

I tried my account on another laptop and I got the same error. I then poked CS with that info. They said that had already deducted that and were looking at what is happening, so that's good.

looking forward to playing with the MB.
Good luck! I had a bizarre issue last year where I couldn't reply to messages in my inbox. It was sort of stealth-fixed (no one ever announced it was fixed), so do keep trying every now and then in case that happens.

Funny you mention that, because I have tried it, hoping that it would just work, everyday. 
I'm having a similar problem. I've cleared all cookies and perged all temp files, reinstalled silverlight, and nothing. The CB works fine but AT just won't load - just that hourglass all day, for hours. I haven't tried a different account, but I can't seem to access AT, and only AT. Which is frustrating, because there are several monsters in there I made that I need to access for tomorrow.
The issue seems to be account related. I have submitted my issue and have been told that they are working on it. You might want to send in a support ticket about it to make a formal request for help so they know about it. I'm hoping that the updates -today? - will have the fix in it. We'll see I guess.

Edit: The update didn't seem to fix anything. Not sure what's up. This has been a month now, and it sucks. 
I'm experiencing a similar issue. I've been told that it's because I have a monster with a blank name associated with my account. I remember importing a monster from the offline MB into the online MB during beta and experiencing a glitch that resulted in a nameless monster (that I couldn't delete).

I was hoping this would get fixed with today's release, but it did not. It's been over three weeks since I opened my ticket with support.

I was excited enough about the new tool that I opened a second account for the last month so I could use the tools in my campaign while waiting for this to get fixed.)

Steve - is there any chance that you can run this up the flag pole to get us an update?

Thanks!

Thanks for the info.

I was playing with the VT beta earlier today and couldn't see monsters to import. Weird. I logged into my friends account and could import monsters into the VT so this may be related, too, somehow.

I updated my ticket with the info. I will be sure to post anything I get from CS.
Thanks for the info. I was playing with the VT beta earlier today and couldn't see monsters to import. Weird. I logged into my friends account and could import monsters into the VT so this may be related, too, somehow. I updated my ticket with the info. I will be sure to post anything I get from CS.

The way you describe your problem, I'm pretty sure that it won't be fixed by any of the monthly updates.  The previous poster suggests that it is a data error with data that is only associated with your account (other accounts work fine on the same PC and your account is broken on any PC).  If this is the case a simple DELETE * FROM MONSTERS WHERE Type = "Custom" and UserID = "your account" should fix it up by one of the DB admins.
That's what I was thinking, but the issue "is proving to be more difficult than we thought".

I can only wait, for now.
That's what I was thinking, but the issue "is proving to be more difficult than we thought". I can only wait, for now.

Evil thought... a corrupt record in their DB that they can't seem to delete....

Yeah, I was hoping it would be a simple as removing a row from the DB, but now I'm wondering if they needed to develop a backend tool to handle this cleanly (or to give to the tech support folks so they could clean things without needing the devs' involvement).

That's part of the reason that I was optimistic about yesterday's update; I was hoping for such a tool to be released as part of the update. Maybe it has and the tech support folks haven't had time to use it.

I'm well past the line into speculative territory now though.

Hopefully we'll get some info soon or better yet see some progress.

Paolo tells me that he's put someone to work on this. I don't know what the ETA is for a solution, but I'll get back when we have additional info.

Steve

Thanks Steve. Still waiting patiently...
Development has identified and reproduced the error. It's preparing a global fix that should be implemented next Tuesday (Oct. 25). 

Steve 
Great news! I look forward to the 25th.
Thanks for looking into this. The info is very much appreciated!
just logged into the adventure tools, and voila. As promised, the hotfix was issued and all is well.

Thanks to CS for being tolerant of me, Steve for popping in and letting us know what's up, and the devs for doing the repair. 
And we're glad to hear that it's working. Thanks for the update.

Steve

My account is all set too. Thanks again for helping with this!
Seems this bug has hit me as well. THe chr builder works fine, but the monster builder will not load at all. Sits at black screen and doesn't load.

I'm using Firefox 8. Under Add-ons, Java console is disabled as it is not compatible w/ FF8. Could that be the issue?

Either way, I'm paying monthly and would like to have this fixed ASAP. Please help.
Seems this bug has hit me as well. THe chr builder works fine, but the monster builder will not load at all. Sits at black screen and doesn't load.

I'm using Firefox 8. Under Add-ons, Java console is disabled as it is not compatible w/ FF8. Could that be the issue?

Either way, I'm paying monthly and would like to have this fixed ASAP. Please help.

Just to be clear, these forums are primarily for conversations between subscribers. Sometimes we see a WotC employee come on a forum, but it isn't a guarantee. The best way to get a quick fix is to open up a support ticket (at the bottom of this page, click on "Contact Us" under "Corporate") and explain your problem. You may also want to provide a link to this page and explain that you suspect it is the same thing. You may be able to speed up the process if you go through the troubleshooting people performed so you can tell support whether you are seeing any differences. (For example, what made this unique is that regardless of computer they saw the same behavior... it was an account issue. You would want to confirm this is the case on your end before saying you have the same issue.)

I hope that helps. If you have questions post them here and one of us might be able to provide further (unofficial) recommendations.

Prolly not an account issue. It works in IE8, but not in FF8. So, for now, I can atleast access it. I do dislike using IE, so I will hope for a solution to get it working in FF8.
Have you opened a ticket?

Also, check your cookies and clear them for the wizards sites. That may help.