Wiz-Bang! - Wizard Attack Powers by School

96 posts / 0 new
Last post
Wiz-Bang!
Wizard Attack Powers by School

These tables list the wizard attack powers associated with the enchantment, evocation, illusion, necromancy, nethermancy, and transmutation schools of magic. A few powers, such as horrific shadow, belong to more than one school. Some attack powers do not belong to a school of magic at all and therefore do not appear in these tables.

Talk about this list here

Nice update to old powers. When are we getting the Transmutation mage? Has that already been announced?
Excellent. I hate to immediately ask for something else, but I think a similar list for magic items and rarity would be super-useful.
4e D&D is not a "Tabletop MMO." It is not Massively Multiplayer, and is usually not played Online. Come up with better descriptions of your complaints, cuz this one means jack ****.
 Nice update to old powers. When are we getting the Transmutation mage? Has that already been announced?

I am betting it will be in the Heroes of the Feywild book.

Excellent. I hate to immediately ask for something else, but I think a similar list for magic items and rarity would be super-useful.

Seconded!
CORE MORE, NOT CORE BORE!
I am betting it will be in the Heroes of the Feywild book.

That would be my speculation as well, what with fairies constantly turning people into animals and crap.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Looks like the Pyromancy school didn't merit inclusion? True, it isn't hard to search for "fire" as a keyword, but it would've been nice to have it in the same place as the other lists.

The Red Box transmutation spells don't seem to be listed, either...
isn't pyromancy evocation?
I think it's interesting the 'new' books will be planar...shadow, feywild, elemental chaos, and probably followed by an ethereal.
I still don't get 'nethermancy' though. I guess I'm used to the 2e-3e schools of magic. Does the existance of nethermancy mean their should be a 'auramancy' or 'luxomancy'? You know, to discribe radiant damage spells?  

I don't want to be an edition warrior. I think there was something good and something bad in all the editions I played. I do, however, believe that the game has gotten better over the years (and decades). I hope this holds true into the future.

Peace.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/21.jpg)

isn't pyromancy evocation?
I think it's interesting the 'new' books will be planar...shadow, feywild, elemental chaos, and probably followed by an ethereal.
I still don't get 'nethermancy' though. I guess I'm used to the 2e-3e schools of magic. Does the existance of nethermancy mean their should be a 'auramancy' or 'luxomancy'? You know, to discribe radiant damage spells?  

I doubt there could be an ethereal book as there is no Ethereal Plane in 4e cosmology.

Spell schools never made any internal sense; they should have just let them die (or rather, let them stay dead).

In any event, if you want to call your radiant-heavy spellcaster a luxomancer, by all means, knock yourself out.
No, Pyromancy is a separate school that was released a while back in Dragon, and which has had support elsewhere.
my bad...elemental chaos and the astral sea.
And, yeah, magic schools make no sense. They could though. 

I don't want to be an edition warrior. I think there was something good and something bad in all the editions I played. I do, however, believe that the game has gotten better over the years (and decades). I hope this holds true into the future.

Peace.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/21.jpg)

I doubt there could be an ethereal book as there is no Ethereal Plane in 4e cosmology.

It's worth noting that the the ethereal is mentioned in the MME as the space between planes. It's entirely possible that it will eventually return to the game.
Fire Blog Control, Change, and Chaos: The Elemental Power Source Elemental Heroes Example Classes Xaosmith Exulter Chaos Bringer Director Elemental Heroes: Looking Back - Class and Story Elemental Heroes: Complete Class Beta - The Xaosmith (January 16, 2012) Elemental Heroes: Complete Class Beta - The Harbinger (May 16, 2012) Check out my Elemental Heroes blog series and help me develop four unique elemental classes.
My initial reaction when I first saw this list is, "YES!!! FINALLY!!!" Then, when I looked under Transmutation, I noticed that Stone Skin is missing... Anyway, school of magic support for pre-E supplements such as Arcane Power is something that I've anticipated for a very long time, and now I'm very glad that official support has finally been provided.
probably the precursor to tagging the other spells with a school.
We got something else: Elemental Chaos is an actual book.
how do you leave out pyromancy
Pyromancy is every wizard power with the fire keyword.

The list is separated by keyword. As there is no "Pyromancy" keyword, there is no pyromancy list of powers.
Looks like the Pyromancy school didn't merit inclusion? True, it isn't hard to search for "fire" as a keyword, but it would've been nice to have it in the same place as the other lists. The Red Box transmutation spells don't seem to be listed, either...

It said they were checking over every power without a keyword as of September so it is entirely possible that since the book is probably already finished those spells will be included in Heroes of the Feywild. 
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."-Douglas Adams

The list is separated by keyword. As there is no "Pyromancy" keyword, there is no pyromancy list of powers.

i think you would have an amazing point if the header of the article wasnt

You want them to put down every wizard power with the fire keyword?

im not really that worked up about it but i think if you say you are giving an index of wizard powers by school, and the first sentence of the pdf is

"This index lists the wizard attack powers associated with each school of magic (as of September 2011"

then it should be a complete index of powers associated with each school of magic. bc that is what it purports to be. theres three pages of evocation powers...the amount of powers didnt seem to give them pause. i dont see what the argument is; im giving you evidence the "index" is lacking by using their own words, while you arent providing any good reason why it isnt present.

Yus. How am I supposed to know which wizard powers count as fire attacks if they don't have pyromancy next to the fire keyword?
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."-Douglas Adams

So there's a transmutation school?

I wasn't referring to the name of the article, I was referring to the article itself. I'm sure it's not the first time Wizards has said one thing and actually meant another.
my dear blazian, its not like it was a struggle to find other keywords either, that of course isnt the point. the point is its supposed to be an index of powers associated with each school and its not. any fool can find the nethermancy powers, necromancy powers etc....the point is a complete index of each school would have been nice to have, kind of like the ritual index. as it stands this just seems to me thrown together and incomplete, and the fact that any idiot can search the compendium for fire powers has nothing at all to do with what im saying. do you understand what im saying now?

im not really that worked up about it but i think if you say you are giving an index of wizard powers by school, and the first sentence of the pdf is

"This index lists the wizard attack powers associated with each school of magic (as of September 2011"

then it should be a complete index of powers associated with each school of magic. bc that is what it purports to be. theres three pages of evocation powers...the amount of powers didnt seem to give them pause. i dont see what the argument is; im giving you evidence the "index" is lacking by using their own words, while you arent providing any good reason why it isnt present.

Because there is no pyromancy keyword. When making a mage and looking at the schools you will notice that when an illusion mage uses powers with the illusion keyword he gets stuff. When an Evoktion mage uses the evoktion keyword he gets stuff, When enchantment mages use the enchantment keyword he gets stuff and so on.

For pyromancy though? Pretty much anything with the word fire in it. If they did what you suggested then many of the powers would both be listed in Evoktions and in Pyromancy (a keyword which would have literally no purpose other than to assauge you).

Edit: The purpose of this was to give the schools which give benefits for using the powers of said keywords more powers that would count for them as well as probably being organization. Pyromancy does not need either since all its powers are based off the fire keyword.

But if it makes you feel better I will happily search for every power that has the word fire in it and list it for you. 

So there's a transmutation school?

I wasn't referring to the name of the article, I was referring to the article itself.

and i was referring to the article itself when i quote the first sentence

"This index lists the wizard attack powers associated with each school of magic"

as for your  transmutation question, one can only assume it will be a new school in the new books since the text further reads

A number of wizard attack powers (each marked with an asterisk) are assigned to schools for the first time. The schools of magic will be further populated by spells in Player's Option: Heroes of the Feywild™ (releasing in November 2011) and Player's Option: Heroes of the Elemental Chaos™ (releasing in February 2012).

Because there is no pyromancy keyword. When making a mage and looking at the schools you will notice that when an illusion mage uses powers with the illusion keyword he gets stuff. When an Evoktion mage uses the evoktion keyword he gets stuff, When enchantment mages use the enchantment keyword he gets stuff and so on.

For pyromancy though? Pretty much anything with the word fire in it. If they did what you suggested then many of the powers would both be listed in Evoktions and in Pyromancy (a keyword which would have literally no purpose other than to assauge you).

Edit: The purpose of this was to give the schools which give benefits for using the powers of said keywords more powers that would count for them as well as probably being organization. Pyromancy does not need either since all its powers are based off the fire keyword.

But if it makes you feel better I will happily search for every power that has the word fire in it and list it for you. 

were going in circles blazian, it doesnt say "wiz bang-powers by keywords". it says "SCHOOL". "SCHOOL". "SCHOOOOOOOOL". just like the first sentence of the pdf says

This index lists the wizard attack powers associated with each school of magic'

SCHHHHOOOOOLLLL, not keyword. SCHOOOL

as for you latter comments regarding searching for the powers for me, well i already told you any fool can do that so go ahead if you must. you seem more inclined to argue and make petty comments than you are to actually fathom the plain english im typing to you so whats the point

were going in circles blazian, it doesnt say "wiz bang-powers by keywords". it says "SCHOOL". "SCHOOL". "SCHOOOOOOOOL". just like the first sentence of the pdf says

This index lists the wizard attack powers associated with each school of magic'

SCHHHHOOOOOLLLL, not keyword. SCHOOOL

And the schools listed all depend on said keyword to function. By adding it to that school.... it gains said keyword. School=Keyword. Understand?

Edit: And going for the point of School being based on a keyword.... Pyromancy is fire. There already exists a fire keyword in powers that deal fire. Ergo pyromancy compendium not listed.

Also since you like requoting the article I'll give you sentence numero tres. " Some attack powers do not belong to a school of magic at all and therefore do not appear here" It is entirely possible that since Pyromancy isn't a keyword no powers belong to the school of magic. Rather they can just pillage powers with the fire keyword instead. 
This index lists the wizard attack powers associated with each school of magic (as of September 2011)

They left out Pyromancy from the list, but included transmutation which isn't a school of magic. I'm betting it's safe to assume the list is incomplete and all schools will be added at a later date.
I was under the impression that pyromancer was a build for the school of magic known as Evocation. Is this untrue (don't have Dragon)?

And of course, I'm obliged to say that Winged Horde is now an Illusion power, thus, it's the most important change in this document.
I was under the impression that pyromancer was a build for the school of magic known as Evocation. Is this untrue (don't have Dragon)?

And of course, I'm obliged to say that Winged Horde is now an Illusion power, thus, it's the most important change in this document.

Its technically its own school but for all purposes it pouches almost all of its powers from the Evocation keyword/school so yeah.
Blazian has it right.

All the apprentice features of the mage reference their school name for keywords, EXCEPT for Pyromancy, which simply references 'arcane fire attacks'.  There is no 'pyromancy' keyword.
i already linked the pyromancy school article (i know you dont have dragon), yes it is a school
Hmmm...

On one hand, I think it wouldn't be a bad thing to have a list of all Wizard fire powers. On the other hand, this document is errata, not just a reference. To put Pyromancy as a school implies that you're giving those powers the Pyromancy keyword (that doesn't exist as of yet).
 it doesnt say its a list by keyword, i dont know why some posters keep flogging that horse. it says its a list of powers by school! NOT KEYWORD!!! good lord
Communication failure ahoy.
Epic Dungeon Master

Want to give your players a kingdom of their own? I made a 4e rule system to make it happen!

Your Kingdom awaits!
Update 5th Sep 2011: Added a sample kingdom, as well as sample of play.
 it doesnt say its a list by keyword, i dont know why some posters keep flogging that horse. it says its a list of powers by school! NOT KEYWORD!!! good lord

Yeah..... 4-5 times is the limit for how many times I'll repeat myself for someone who seems to be intentionally missing the point.

i already linked the pyromancy school article (i know you dont have dragon), yes it is a school

Awesome, now just figure out how mages themselves work and we will be good to go.

Okay, why in the original pyromancy article were arcane fire attacks not linked with the pyromancy school keyword?
I see what Frosty is saying: just because there isn't a pyromancy keyword does not mean that they couldn't have put any Wizard fire powers under the Pyromancy school (and not give them the keyword).

But, it's not a big deal. I don't need a list of all the Wizard fire powers, and I would probably admixture a good non-fire power (*cough* Winged Horde *cough cough*) to fire if I was a pyromancer.
mystic there doesnt need to be a pyromancy keyword when you are listing powers by school. bc you arent listing powers by keyword. keyword and school isnt the same thing, as your referencing the pyromancy school article so dutifully shows. theres a pyromancy school and the powers dont have the pyromancy keyword. great! has no bearing whatsoever on anything

lets try a different tack

we all agree theres a pyromancy school right? even blazian seems to admit this much, and ive linked the article

we all agree this new wizbang article says its a list of powers by school right? i mean theres no other way to read it. it says plainly "powers by school"

lets now take a pause to note that nowhere have i said anything about keywords

now, if an index said it was going to list powers by school, wouldnt you assume that all of the schools would be listed?