MB Updated

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
Looks like the update is complete.  Perusing now.

Celebrate our differences.

To export your monster, you first must click Preview.

Celebrate our differences.

Very nice so far. Building my first monster from scratch. Minor issue... The info descriptions look like the info from DMG1, not from the MM3 design standards. For example, brutes are described as having (level + 3) vs. AC  and soldiers (level + 7) vs. AC.   MM3 standards brought brutes up to the skirmisher standard of (level +5) vs. AC.    Not sure yet if this actually reflected in the math. Still building....

Anybody else having trouble adding secondary attacks to powers? Wondering if this is a bug or it's just me (of course the first monster I try to build has the complex thing that's bugged...)

Very, very nice. I'm one happy DM.

Very intuitive. Actually seems to work faster than the old offline monster builder. This is making me happy. Still testing and generating a list of Plus/minuses.  So far a lot more pluses than minuses.
Has anyone found a way to queue up multiple monsters for printing yet? Very good functionality so far, but I'm just curious if there's a way to do it that won't use up a billion sheets of paper.
Caught between experimenting and my four year old daughter wanting to play the "pink haired elf game
", AKA, Heroes of neverwinter lol. i will post something more constructive asap :D

Teo  

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/8.jpg)

Ok the math seems to be right for, "stock" MM1 monsters.  Gonna build something and see how that works.

teo

Ok making a monster and decided to try my hand at a pixie lurker (daughter has nothing to do with this ;) ) and everything is going beautifully, especially the ability to add powers from other creatures and then edit them.  i borrowed and edited "invisibility" from the faerie dragon and the same with the bow attack of the MM1 Elf.  No problems.  Added low-light vision and vulnerabilty cold iron 5 before this, no problems.  Figured a pixie shouldn't be able to do 1d10+4 + lurker damage with a melee basic attack so i changed said damage to 1d3.  Problem.  It caused it to crash.  Anyone else experiencing this?

FYI, using the suggested damage values (which i did for the ranged basic) worked fine, it's editing the "normal" damage values that caused the crash.

Thanks,

Teo   

said Pixie Lurker recovered and I just tried it again and yup, any attempt to edit the damage causes it to crash

actually tried again and my theory turns out to be correct.  I had a hunch if I changed the 1d10 +4 to 1d3 +4 it would work, and it did

It seems that the bug is that you need a "+" value. (Edit: I tried a "-" in the field and that causes it to crash as well).

Teo

Reason For edit: the recovery time is a lot faster.  it crashed out and recovered 3 times in the span of a min and a half and i have multiple browsers and a facebook game running.  I'm impressed, not bad

Ok making a monster and decided to try my hand at a pixie lurker (daughter has nothing to do with this ;) ) and everything is going beautifully, especially the ability to add powers from other creatures and then edit them.  i borrowed and edited "invisibility" from the faerie dragon and the same with the bow attack of the MM1 Elf.  No problems.  Added low-light vision and vulnerabilty cold iron 5 before this, no problems.  Figured a pixie shouldn't be able to do 1d10+4 + lurker damage with a melee basic attack so i changed said damage to 1d3.  Problem.  It caused it to crash.  Anyone else experiencing this?

FYI, using the suggested damage values (which i did for the ranged basic) worked fine, it's editing the "normal" damage values that caused the crash.

Thanks,

Teo   

same happens to me, i reported it. until then ill probably just leave the thing alone...too frustrating

The dev team has been made aware of this and is working on a fix. They hope to have it ready this afternoon, but it's not yet ready as of this moment, which means nothing is certain. They don't expect that the tool will need to be pulled down for this fix, but that's not 100%, either. 

FYI, the crash seems to be related to nonstandard entries; i.e., 1d2, 1d3, 1d5, etc. Avoid those and you should avoid the crash. If not, let us know.

Steve

If your only tool is a warhammer, every problem looks like a gnoll.

The dev team has been made aware of this and is working on a fix. They hope to have it ready this afternoon, but it's not yet ready as of this moment, which means nothing is certain. They don't expect that the tool will need to be pulled down for this fix, but that's not 100%, either. 

FYI, the crash seems to be related to nonstandard entries; i.e., 1d2, 1d3, 1d5, etc. Avoid those and you should avoid the crash. If not, let us know.

Steve

Thank You for the timely response and info Steve!  Yes, there are some bugs, but all and all I am VERY HAPPY i resubbed!

So far I've found out the crash is related to the non-standard entries as well as not having a "+" Entry.  Speaking of bugs, while checkin the monster math (some have it some dont), I've found that all of the angels are missing from Monster Vault and there remains only the dretch from the other side

Timoteo

P.S. - I've gifted you things in heroes of Neverwinter ;)  My four yr old daughter and i are having alot of fun with that game so TY

Thanks! I've drafted Drachven and Amariel for a few adventures, and I, too, like to pay for their services with gifts. 

Steve

If your only tool is a warhammer, every problem looks like a gnoll.

Monster mathematics is wrong - it's the old values, not the new values. Could you please fix that urgently?

A level 25 brute should NOT do 2d8+12 damage. It's more like 4d6+27 damage. (4d6+19 base, +25% for being a brute). There is ERRATA. Use it!

(I'm talking about building new monsters, btw). 
Monster mathematics is wrong - it's the old values, not the new values. Could you please fix that urgently?

A level 25 brute should NOT do 2d8+12 damage. It's more like 4d6+27 damage. (4d6+19 base, +25% for being a brute). There is ERRATA. Use it!

(I'm talking about building new monsters, btw). 

Yes, this.

The main thing I want a monster builder for is to do math for me.  If it's doing the math wrong, it's abundantly less useful.  IIRC, it was one of the issues I pointed out with the Monster Slider, too.  It gets the damage expressions wrong on both new monsters, and on levelling old ones.

Please fix the math to MM3 values.

Thanks!

(Edit: Otherwise, the interface is really slick.  The programmers should be commended.)

-O
In addition to damage, custom monsters are also using pre-revision attack bonuses. E.g.: soldier attack bonuses are two points high and brute attack bonuses are two points low.

The Angry DM: D&D 4th Edition Advice with Attitude http://angrydm.com Follow me on Twitter @TheAngryDM "D&D is a world where you are a great champion, and the creator of the universe is frequently disorganized, highly distractable, and alarmingly vague on the rules of the universe he’s trying to run." -Shamus Young, Twenty Sided Tale (DM of the Rings)

it would be nice if the new values were used. hopefully thats easy to fix
Cross-posted in the DDI General forum thread about the September update: Powers copied don't seem to update HP totals if you steal a Second Wind power (or other healing power)

It's nice to Monster Building again.  I just customized the text of Rust Monster powers to affect "heavy armor or Warforged"  [maniacal laughter]

Well, I fiddled with it slightly, but my old complaint still exists.

Why can I not make a new line for effects where bulletdots are needed to specify certain aspects of the power (example: Alloces' summon power)? That's damned annoying. The DevTeam needs to give us that function to make some powers look right.

That being said, this is mighty impressive for the garbage that it started out as. I've been using the MBC faithfully, so I'm not sure if I'll change over to this. If it gets an export as HTML function so we can post monsters from the builder onto the boards though, I'd be inclined to change over.
Additionally, things such as Miss: Effect: First Failed save, etc to not exist. If you import a power with one of these, you lose your ability to modify damage altogether.

Edit:

This is incorrect, I found there are tabs on the left hand side that let you get into the actual details of editing a power. Very useful