Shapeshifting and Item Powers

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Just wondering how the Pack Outcast theme from the Neverwinter Campaign Setting's wolf form works with items. It says you continue to gain the benefits of equipment you wear, except for shields and item powers. I assume this refers to any at-will, encounter, and daily powers, but does this also refer to properties in the case of weapons or armor? What about critical hit dice? Later, it says your bite gains the enhancement bonus of your primary weapon, but it makes no reference to weapon properties or crit dice.

Just looking for clarification. I expect this question has been answered previously for anyone playing a druid. Thanks.
Item powers are defined solely as powers that are on an item.  Anything without a power definition is not an item power.  Item powers say what kind of action they take, at-will/enc/daily, etc.  Properties and critical hit results are not item powers.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
Just wondering how the Pack Outcast theme from the Neverwinter Campaign Setting's wolf form works with items. It says you continue to gain the benefits of equipment you wear, except for shields and item powers. I assume this refers to any at-will, encounter, and daily powers, but does this also refer to properties in the case of weapons or armor? What about critical hit dice? Later, it says your bite gains the enhancement bonus of your primary weapon, but it makes no reference to weapon properties or crit dice.

Just looking for clarification. I expect this question has been answered previously for anyone playing a druid. Thanks.

item powers probably refers to daily/encounter powers of items.  I'm not sure if it would apply to constant benefits, as those are generally referred to as properties, rather than powers.  You definitely get the enhancement bonuses to attack & damage, and would probably keep the crit dice.  I'm inclined to say you lose item powers that you have to activate, but can keep anything that is passively functional (ie- bonuses, properties, etc.)
Hmm... if your primary weapon is a light blade, do you get to treat your bite as a light blade for purposes of feats that relate to a specific type of weapon? Or are you intended to lose those bonuses when you change form? Since there are no natural weapon expertise type feats, it seems like it shouldn't be intentional that you lose up to a +3 feat bonus to attack rolls. It's not a great attack, but giving it a weapon type would keep it decent. Or is this not an item property that's handed down from your primary weapon slot?
No, your bite doesn't inherit any of those properties. However, because of the way the power is worded, you can keep right on using your light blade in that form!

(Sure, it might be described as a bite, but mechanically you're still using your dagger or rapier or whatever.)
I can see getting the weapon group, but not the exact weapon. Getting the weapon group is a property of the weapon, which would balance the attack bonus and feat based damage bonuses. Getting the exact weapon type would skew this balance in some cases. For example, a Daggermaster would then have a 1d8 weapon that could crit on an 18-20. Can that be right?
Weapon group is not a Property.  Only things with a Property line are Properties.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
Weapon group is not a Property.  Only things with a Property line are Properties.

But it's still an aspect of the weapon that is not an item power, right?
Regardless, none of that is inherited by the Bite.

The way that the power is worded you are still able to attack with your dagger, rapier, spear, longbow, or whatever else even whens shapeshifted, but the Bite doesn't inherit anything other than the Enhancement bonus of that weapon (and generally isn't useful because of that).