Magic armor inconsistency in the Essentials line

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
I just got back into D&D recently. I had lost all my 3.5 in a house fire several years ago. I started back up with the essentials line(financial reasons). 

Here's my quandary.

In Heroes of the Fallen Lands, pgs. 343-344(or Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms, pgs 344-345), it has charts showing the magic bonuses and armor bonuses(for example, +5 scale = 11 + 5 = 16).

However, in the Dungeon Master's Book, pg 255, it gives the scale numbers as 10 + 5 = 15. I will take that as a typo. 

The problem is, in the Rules Compendium, on pg 281, it gives +5 plate as 8 + 5 = 13.  This is nowhere close to what the two players books give for +5 plate.  Then, on pg 282, it talks about masterwork armor. The charts in the players books must then give bonuses for masterwork.  That means that there should also be charts for non-masterwork magic armor(correct?). 
Now, the prices given for specific armor are, such as Black Iron Armor, Lvl 14, +3, 21,000 gp. Is that standard magic armor or masterwork armor? 

Since the armor bonus for +1 armor is the same as mundane armor, is it standard, and then is all +2 armor and higher masterwork?  If so, then the example in the Rules Compendium would also be a typo.
I just got back into D&D recently. I had lost all my 3.5 in a house fire several years ago. I started back up with the essentials line(financial reasons). 

Here's my quandary.

In Heroes of the Fallen Lands, pgs. 343-344(or Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms, pgs 344-345), it has charts showing the magic bonuses and armor bonuses(for example, +5 scale = 11 + 5 = 16).

However, in the Dungeon Master's Book, pg 255, it gives the scale numbers as 10 + 5 = 15. I will take that as a typo. 

The problem is, in the Rules Compendium, on pg 281, it gives +5 plate as 8 + 5 = 13.  This is nowhere close to what the two players books give for +5 plate.  Then, on pg 282, it talks about masterwork armor. The charts in the players books must then give bonuses for masterwork.  That means that there should also be charts for non-masterwork magic armor(correct?). 
Now, the prices given for specific armor are, such as Black Iron Armor, Lvl 14, +3, 21,000 gp. Is that standard magic armor or masterwork armor? 

Since the armor bonus for +1 armor is the same as mundane armor, is it standard, and then is all +2 armor and higher masterwork?  If so, then the example in the Rules Compendium would also be a typo.

I found an answer buried deep in the 4e Rules Q&A forum.  +1 is standard magic armor and +2 and higher are masterwork. 

I will then treat the entries in the DMB, pg 255 and RC, pg 281 as typos and go forward from there. 

Thank you to everyone who posted an answer to my question..... oh, wait, no one did.
The Q&A forum is always better than the Errata forum for answering questions.  
Keith Richmond Living Forgotten Realms Epic Writing Director
Thanks