Lord Dagult Neverember

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi All,

Quick question with hopefully a quick answer. Ive read the Neverwinter Campaign book cover to cover and ive skimmed through it again and i can't find what im looking for. What date (year) did Lord Neverember arrive in Neverwinter ?

Anyone know ? 

For those of you with kids please check out the D&D Parents Group. http://community.wizards.com/dndparents

doesnt know.

could have been before Blackstaff Tower or after the last of the waterdeep series. 
a mask everyone has at least two of, one they wear in public and another they wear in private.....
Hi Dargurd,

We kept that purposefully unclear so as to allow the DM to make it up however he/she wanted, but my intention (and I'm the one who wrote the New Neverwinter stuff) was to have him arrive sometime around 1476-8--that he would have been in the city a couple of years before the campaign starts, long enough for him to start rebuilding and exercise some but not total control over the city. His reach gradually expands over time.

But of course we didn't put a firm date on it, because your campaign might be set during a number of different years.

Cheers
Hey ERik

you think that DAgult would want to know the secrets of the blackstaff??

I know one of them
secret #1: To be a Blackstaff is to keep secrets

Secret #2: Always use the phrase " Indeed"       
a mask everyone has at least two of, one they wear in public and another they wear in private.....
Hey ERik
I know one of them

Heheh. When I RP Neverember, he *does* say "Indeed" a lot, and practices raising one eyebrow and looking sagely. He doesn't quite pull it off, though.

Cheers

Hi Dargurd,

We kept that purposefully unclear so as to allow the DM to make it up however he/she wanted, but my intention (and I'm the one who wrote the New Neverwinter stuff) was to have him arrive sometime around 1476-8--that he would have been in the city a couple of years before the campaign starts, long enough for him to start rebuilding and exercise some but not total control over the city. His reach gradually expands over time.

But of course we didn't put a firm date on it, because your campaign might be set during a number of different years.

Cheers

Hi Erik,

Thanks for the info. That really does help as i can play around with the date and no im not likely to cut across any 'lore' as such.

Much appreciated :-) 

For those of you with kids please check out the D&D Parents Group. http://community.wizards.com/dndparents

Hey ERik
I know one of them

Heheh. When I RP Neverember, he *does* say "Indeed" a lot, and practices raising one eyebrow and looking sagely. He doesn't quite pull it off, though.

Cheers

Indeed-Khelben Arunson
Well, as far as Neverember goes, how much does he knows about the archvillains of the setting? 

P.S:I dont get it. What's with the "indeed" quote? Is that in a novel or somethin'?

Well, as far as Neverember goes, how much does he knows about the archvillains of the setting?

More than most people, though less than he lets on. Neverember's information network is not all that great, and many of his spies owe their real loyalty to the very people they're supposed to be spying on. I left that purposefully vague, though the book gives guidelines as to what he might know or consider to be a threat.

P.S:I dont get it. What's with the "indeed" quote? Is that in a novel or somethin'?

The archwizard/spymaster Khelben Arunsun is famous for replying to many questions with the word "Indeed?" and a raised eyebrow. It's a memorable mannerism.

Cheers

By Helm, you just revealed a secret of the Blackstaff....
Ten years ago. It actually mentions this several times throughout the text.

He only managed to gain any real foothold, though, about five years ago when he put the wall up and made the area around the Protectorate safe via his Mintarn mercenaries. 

Disclaimer: Wizards of the Coast is not responsible for the consequences of splitting up the party, sticking appendages in the mouth of a leering green devil face, accepting a dinner invitation from bugbears, storming the feast hall of a hill giant steading, angering a dragon of any variety, or saying yes when the DM asks, “Are you really sure?”

I smell death on the open Lord (had Lord "Dagger" on an assassin hit list before the new Neverwinter Campaign Guide came out so it may come to fruition with my players) perhaps their is an heir waiting to openly rule Waterdeep, however I am not sure if his son, Renaer, would want the position.  I do favor his son taking over Laughingand speaking of which what is the City of Waterdeep doing while the open Lord is away as far as his position?  It maybe mentioned it has been a few weeks since I read over the Neverwinter Campaign Guide but I have been thinking about it while I've been busy with other things. 
Well, Dagult is supremely confident in Waterdeep being under his thumb, even when he's not physically there. This, of course, forges an opportunity for ambitious rivals to undermine his power.

You can certainly play that up in a game, even if your players never actually end up in Neverwinter.

Cheers
That might play out well in a Neverwinter campaign as well.  Wealthy rivals of Neverember might finance groups like the Sons of Alagondar, or hire adventuring parties (annonymously of course) in Neverwinter to keep Dagult's attention in the north...while his rivals work their own schemes back in Waterdeep.
That might play out well in a Neverwinter campaign as well.  Wealthy rivals of Neverember might finance groups like the Sons of Alagondar, or hire adventuring parties (annonymously of course) in Neverwinter to keep Dagult's attention in the north...while his rivals work their own schemes back in Waterdeep.

This is awesome.

I think the idea plays well with a swift, events-unfolding, back-and-forth campaign between the two cities, using portals (4E's proclamation that portals in the Realms don't work/are broken be damned straight to heck). A great opportunity for a DM to start in Neverwinter, then whisk the players off to Waterdeep for a change of scenery this is.

I think the idea plays well with a swift, events-unfolding, back-and-forth campaign between the two cities, using portals (4E's proclamation that portals in the Realms don't work/are broken be damned straight to heck). A great opportunity for a DM to start in Neverwinter, then whisk the players off to Waterdeep for a change of scenery this is.

I would consider the 4e "no portals" proclamation to be more of a "portals don't work in any predictable/consistent way." There might well be portals that do work perfectly well--they're just not as reliable as they used to be.

Always plenty of exceptions to every rule when you're dealing with magic.

Cheers