09/20/2011 LI: "Seven Innistrad Commons I Can't Wait to Play With"

8 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's Limited Information, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.

I'm so excited for the prerelease. Sealed deck is my favorite format, so this was a helpful read.

The Analytical Engine has no pretensions whatever to originate anything. It can do whatever we know how to order it to perform.

The more I think about the werewolf mechanic (not transform cards in general, just werewolves in particular), the more worried I get.  It seems like they punish mana screw/flood oh-so-hard.  If I miss my third land drop (presumably casting no spells as well that turn -- not a given, but not at all unlikely), or if I kept 2-drop, 4-drop, 6-drop and draw nothing but lands and expensive cards, I'm just so far behind if my opponent cast an early werewolf.  Granted, I'd be behind anyway in those circumstances, but without a premium piece of removal I'm willing to bet that my 2-drop, my 4-drop, and maybe even my 6-drop aren't going to match up well against a 4/6 creature, and that's far from the worst werewolf my opponent could have played.

Given that mana screw/flood is my least favorite part about the game, I'm pretty leery of a mechanic that seems to punish it so severely.
*facepalm*

I'm as excited for this new format as anyone, but some of the plays described in this article are...not ideal.  A tempo card that causes card disadvantage might be really, really good, but it will never be a first pick, because you will never want more than one in your deck.  The claim that Makeshift Mauler can "stand toe-to-toe with pretty much anything is laughable when an enormous number of 5/5 and bigger creatures are in the set at common and uncommon - more than any set preceding it, EVER.  And then, in almost the same breath, he talks about using a bunch of self mill cards, "even Armored Skaab", as if Armored Skaab weren't one of the best and highest priority cards in the set for a blue deck.

The arguments for why Rotting Fensnake is good were just NOT good.  The card is playable because Zombies have some amazing tribal support, and Fensnake is one of only a few that you can expect to get reasonably late in a draft.  In sealed, however, the card is plain terrible and is almost never going to justifiably make your deck.  Cobbled Wings, Nightbird's Clutches, and Sharpened Pitchfork are all extremely marginal cards and do not make Fensnake worth playing, even if they weren't.

If Howlpack of Estwald was a 6 mana spell, it would be terrible.  A green vanilla 4/6 is a decent 5 mana card.  And the suggestions given here for how to flip it (don't cast spells!  get mana screwed!) are suggestions on how to most efficiently lose the game.  Lastly, the suggestions on how to use instants to both turn on your own guys and turn off your opponents' are all well and good, but it might be nice to avoid the implication that you can do both at once.
Owch, pretty rough reply carrion. I'm not good enough at this game to know whether it's justified.

The Analytical Engine has no pretensions whatever to originate anything. It can do whatever we know how to order it to perform.

I can honestly say, I will not be spending much on this set.  Im going to give it a shot, but Ill bet I spent more on M12 (not much) than this set.  I hope Im wrong. 
wizards will probably ban them all for no good reason anyway
*facepalm*

I'm as excited for this new format as anyone, but some of the plays described in this article are...not ideal.  A tempo card that causes card disadvantage might be really, really good, but it will never be a first pick, because you will never want more than one in your deck.  The claim that Makeshift Mauler can "stand toe-to-toe with pretty much anything is laughable when an enormous number of 5/5 and bigger creatures are in the set at common and uncommon - more than any set preceding it, EVER.  And then, in almost the same breath, he talks about using a bunch of self mill cards, "even Armored Skaab", as if Armored Skaab weren't one of the best and highest priority cards in the set for a blue deck.

The arguments for why Rotting Fensnake is good were just NOT good.  The card is playable because Zombies have some amazing tribal support, and Fensnake is one of only a few that you can expect to get reasonably late in a draft.  In sealed, however, the card is plain terrible and is almost never going to justifiably make your deck.  Cobbled Wings, Nightbird's Clutches, and Sharpened Pitchfork are all extremely marginal cards and do not make Fensnake worth playing, even if they weren't.

If Howlpack of Estwald was a 6 mana spell, it would be terrible.  A green vanilla 4/6 is a decent 5 mana card.  And the suggestions given here for how to flip it (don't cast spells!  get mana screwed!) are suggestions on how to most efficiently lose the game.  Lastly, the suggestions on how to use instants to both turn on your own guys and turn off your opponents' are all well and good, but it might be nice to avoid the implication that you can do both at once.

The title does say "cards I can't wait to play with" Not "best commons " He also doesn't specify Sealed as format.

As for armored Skaab. Not everyone realizes how important he can be to a deck. And he CAN be horrible in a lot of decks. 

He WAS right about fensnake being a great morbid enabler. No one is just going to let him through. 

I wouldn't call cobbled wings marginal though. There aren't that many flyiers at common. And green does have a common 6/6 and 7/7 to slap it on, on top of ambush viper.

I wish the set had more cantrips and card draw though. Creatures will die a lot, and a lot of cards want you to fill your grave asap.
Sign In to post comments