Modern Goblins!

12 posts / 0 new
Last post

Hey everybody, here's my first attempt at a Goblin deck. It's also my first modern deck. I think the best part about this build is that it's a goblin build that doesn't have access to Goblin Lackey or Goblin Piledriver. Which is awesome because I will never be able to afford those ridiculous cards!

If anyone here has any experience in building Goblin decks I could use some critique in the way of mana curve. I haven't had the opportunity to play test the build yet, and the sideboard is definitely going to be adjusted for my local meta after I work out the bugs in the deck.

Any suggestions or comments are always welcome. Again, mana curve is my big concern here- I've read it's fairly important- especially for low mana count/red/aggro type decks. right now the deck's mana goes something like this: 1cc-16, 2cc-12, 3cc-9, 4cc-1, 5cc-2

The creature count for some Goblins might seem a bit odd, but I'm trying to maintain a fair amount of variety. I don't want to completely sacrifice deck power and consistency though, so let me know if you see some glaring issues. The sideboard is still in development, it's actually just an extension of the deck at this point. With all the low mana cost cards Land Destruction seems like a viable option. Howling Mine is there for card draw, but I couldn't fit it in with the other spells while maintaining a high creature count. Also, Boggart Ram-Gang is epic, but what can I cut?? It seems too expensive for my mana curve, and I think it's not quite as usefull as the other 3cc cards.

Definitely needs moar aether vial...also, goblin guide is an absolute must. I know this isn't exactly budget, but something like:

4 arid mesa
3 stomping ground
3 sacred foundry
1 plains
6 mountain
3 tectonic edge

4 tarmogoyf (yes, he *IS* a goblin)
4 warren instigator
4 goblin guide
4 goblin chieftain
2 tuktuk the explorer
4 mogg war marshal
2 siege-gang commander

4 aether vial
4 lightning bolt
3 lightning helix
2 goblin grenade
3 path to exile

but, at this point, it just looks like a bad zoo list with ton of goblins...
(content removed)
needs dismember, fewer cheesy stuff like shared animosity, and needs some manlands, preferably mutavault.

Photobucket

Maybe something like this:

4 Goblin Guide
4 Mogg Fanatic
3 Goblin Bushwhacker
4 Tattermunge Maniac
4 Goblin Wardriver
3 Warren Instigator
4 Goblin Chieftain
2 Boggart Ram-gang
2 Siege-gang commander

4 Lightning Bolt
4 Goblin Grenade

4 Mutavault
18 Mountain

not sure on sideboard, but IMO one auto-include for you is going to be Shrine of Burning Rage against white/control decks.

M:tG Rules Adviser
Heres my silly goblin list. It plays less like a typical goblin aggro/burn deck and more like a midrange combo deck, with some blowout victories caused by Shared Animosity and Voracious Dragon. I don't expect this to be competitive, I'm just posting it for comparison.

And let me just say: Rise of the Hobgoblins is hilarious. You often won't get more than 2 or 3 guys out of it, but NO ONE remembers the first strike ability. I can't tell you how many blocks that WOULD have been unfavorable for me became blow outs because I saved one mana.
Without 4 aether vial, goblins is not worth playing...I don't think it's above tier 2 even WITH vial, but it's definitely not even worthy of consideration without...you have to be able to do something more powerful than tap mountains for 2/2s if you want to win against any deck in the format...I don't mean to be too harsh, but a vial-less list just seems totally wrong.
(content removed)
Without 4 aether vial, goblins is not worth playing...I don't think it's above tier 2 even WITH vial, but it's definitely not even worthy of consideration without...you have to be able to do something more powerful than tap mountains for 2/2s if you want to win against any deck in the format...I don't mean to be too harsh, but a vial-less list just seems totally wrong.

it's good to have alternatives to AEther Vial, since it is a card that could realistically be banned at any time if it begins to enable deviancy.
Alternative to Aether vial: Don't play a creature-based deck =P

Honestly, the idea of vial getting banned seems ridiculous...out of the decks in the top 8 at philly, there were exactly 0 vial decks...it's a fringe card in modern right now, and I don't really see that changing unless they reprint force of will and make merfolk unbeatable... 
(content removed)
Alternative to Aether vial: Don't play a creature-based deck =P

Honestly, the idea of vial getting banned seems ridiculous...out of the decks in the top 8 at philly, there were exactly 0 vial decks...it's a fringe card in modern right now, and I don't really see that changing unless they reprint force of will and make merfolk unbeatable... 

All of those decks (besides Affinity) also contained Ponder, Preordain, Green Sun's Zenith, Rite of Flame, Cloudpost, or Blazing Shoal. Without those cards, I don't really expect those decks to be making repeat appearances. With combo gone, Modern could become nothing but Vial fueled Zoo decks and if every deck plays Vial, it could easily get banned.
As far as I know cards aren't banned because they see much play, but because they are unbalanced?
Zoo says turn 1: Fetchland, kitty, pass...it has neither the time, the energy, nor room in the deck for playing vial, and, anyway, the idea of vial getting banned makes me want to slam 4 of them in here even *more*. If it's the card that's gonna break the format, I want to be the one ahead of the curve playing it rather than the one sitting on the sidelines saying "BAN IT, BAN IT, BAN IT! Teh formats is too powerful for meee!"
(content removed)
As far as I know cards aren't banned because they see much play, but because they are unbalanced?

I think it goes both ways. The way I see it Stoneforge Mystic and Jace got banned because they are kind of overpowered or just get played in every just about every deck at the tournaments. Ponder and Preordain on the other hand aren't unbalanced at all, they're just in every single blue deck that features some kind of combo. As I understand it, Wizards wants to see variety at the tournaments/FNM. If everybody shows up with the same deck the game loses an element of fun via interesting and unique card interactions. But does this mean Lightning Bolt is next? Christ! I hope not.

Everybody else who posted: Thanks for the tips and the decklists for comparison. I think I've got a better handle on what to cut out of my build.

One Mutavault or a few Aether Vial's cost more than my entire deck put together. Lol, I guess I'll stick to the casual threads!
Sign In to post comments