September DDI Update - Official discussion thread

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
Use this thread to discuss the September #DDI update.

Here is what will be included in the update, according to WotC_Huscarl (AKA Steve Winter)

56753728 wrote:
We've already leaked some of what you should look for in this month's DDi update; specifically, the big changes coming to the Adventure Tools. Here's what else to look for.

In the Character Builder and the Compendium:

• Dragon 401

• Dungeon 192

• Madness at Gardmore Abbey

In the Adventure Tools

• Madness at Gardmore Abbey

• more heaps of added functionality than we can go into right now

That's the good news. You might have noticed, however, that Mordenkainen's Magnificent Emporium isn't listed in the additions. The new formats used in that book are causing enough snags that MME material won't be available in time. We're sorry about the delay; you'll get MME in October.

Steve

You can get a bit more info about the update to the Adventure Tool here.
Mudbunny SVCL for DDI Before you post, think of the Monkeysphere
Any chance we are getting themes in the Compendium?
Do we have any idea when this update will come out?

Tomorrow.
Any chance we are getting themes in the Compendium?

Themes are tentatively slated for the end of the year.  This was announced about 6 weeks ago, if not longer, and is mentioned in numerous threads already.

Here is one such thread.

Reflavoring: the change of flavor without changing any mechanical part of the game, no matter how small, in order to fit the mechanics to an otherwise unsupported concept. Retexturing: the change of flavor (with at most minor mechanical adaptations) in order to effortlessly create support for a concept without inventing anything new. Houseruling: the change, either minor or major, of the mechanics in order to better reflect a certain aspect of the game, including adapting the rules to fit an otherwise unsupported concept. Homebrewing: the complete invention of something new that fits within the system in order to reflect an unsupported concept. Default module =/= Core mechanic.

Tomorrow.

Thanks kenjoon, thats what I figured but I wasn't sure.
You might have noticed, however, that Mordenkainen's Magnificent Emporium isn't  listed in the additions. The new formats used in that book are causing  enough snags that MME material won't be available in time.

What new format is the Mordenkainen's Magnificent Emporium been using ?

The Items are formatted exactly as PHB and Adventure Vault, is it due to the Rarity tag ?

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

...That's the good news. You might have noticed, however, that Mordenkainen's Magnificent Emporium isn't listed in the additions. The new formats used in that book are causing enough snags that MME material won't be available in time. We're sorry about the delay; you'll get MME in October.

Steve

This blows my mind.  How is it not possible to forsee any formatting issue with a book that is coming out.  WoTC -has- that content made how far in advance?  Even if the final version isn't 'gold' until the print run, that's still months ago (assuming its done in China and slowboated over). 

I just don't get it.  Similar issues when Essentials came out.  What I find curious is the timing really.  Last year it was Essentials at this time, right when my DDI subscription was up for renewal (Oct) and now MME this year when my DDI is up for renwal. 

It just goads me that WoTC is forcing us to shop at local game stores for this book and now we're getting a delay on the content in DDI (I have a long, personal rant on "FLGS" and issues I have with them that I don't want to get into). 

This was the one book I was really looking forward to this entire year.  I'm really starting wonder why I purchased all the other releases this year to help contribute support of the game.

*sigh*
/rant
What new format is the Mordenkainen's Magnificent Emporium been using ?

The problem affects artifacts more than anything else, which is why it also hit the deck of many things

Steve

If your only tool is a warhammer, every problem looks like a gnoll.

I'm confused: Why does the Monster Builder still use the wrong maths?

Created a level 25 brute. MB tells me the standard damage is 2d8+12. It should be 4d6+27 (4d6+19 base, +25% for being a brute).

Please, get this right. THERE IS OFFICIAL ERRATA TO THE STANDARD MONSTER DAMAGE. Without it, the MB is stupidly wrong.
Is anyone else having trouble using the filters in the Compendium?  For instance, if I select Consumables or Armor under the Items tab, plug in level 11 to 20, and hit Apply, nothing happens.  However, it works fine if I do the same thing in Powers.  

Also, I noticed that items have had their rarities updated to reflect MME.  Thanks for that, at least. 
Is anyone else having trouble using the filters in the Compendium?  For instance, if I select Consumables or Armor under the Items tab, plug in level 11 to 20, and hit Apply, nothing happens.  However, it works fine if I do the same thing in Powers.  

Also, I noticed that items have had their rarities updated to reflect MME.  Thanks for that, at least. 

Yes, I am also having that problem. Previous versions of the Compendium allowed me to leave the "search" field blank and use the filters to view all the items within a certain category and level range. That functionality doesn't exist now. Nor can I filter for specific item types if I search for a keyword. The filter simply does not apply.

This is really annoying, because I use the Compendium to make item selections for my game.

EDIT: Many thanks to WotC_Huscarl for being on top of these growing pains. I see him all over the boards, answering questions and putting out fires. Good job!

hplovescats

Urugosh disappear
The price of all magic item disapear.
You cannot sort correctly by level the magic item.
urrrghhhh
The problem affects artifacts more than anything else, which is why it also hit the deck of many things

Steve

That doesn't answer the question, really. With the months lead in time to when a printed material hits the shelves, how come a solution isn't found in that time? If you are printing in the states/Canada, you still need to get files to the printer 3-4 months in advance. If you are printing in China, that's a few more months.

Surely a solution to the formatting problem that often ends up with WoTC leaving out the most exciting parts of new material from the digital tools could be figured out in 3-4 months. (How long did it take to get Tiamat into the compendium? Oh she's still not in the Compendium)
I'll cross-post if necessary, but I've just discovered that the new MB doesn't update the HP totals in the power if you copy a second wind from one creature to another. I don't know whether there's an easy fix to this or not (I'm not a programmer), but figured I should at least throw it out there.
That doesn't answer the question, really. The question is, with the months lead in time to when a printed material hits the shelves, how come a solution isn't found in that time? If you are printing in the states/Canada, you still need to get files to the printer 3-4 months in advance. If you are printing in China, that's a few more months.

Surely a solution to the formatting problem that often ends up with WoTC leaving out the most exciting parts of new material from the digital tools could be figured out in 3-4 months. (How long did it take to get Tiamat into the compendium? Oh she's still not in the Compendium)

Asked and answered.  The updates for MME are coming in October and the reason for the delay was provided.

Obviously, they had higher priorities with the new Monster Builder coming out and DDI has a small deveolper staff.  A one month delay in MME content is hardly worth demanding more answers for just because you are not happy with the ones provided.

The actual question that Plaguescarred posed was not answered, however.  What is the new format that magic items (artifacts) use?  There is no obvious difference in the printed material, so I can only assume that there is a difference in the database structure that they need to accommodate the new artifacts.  Seeing how the Deck of Many Things is constructed in print, it seems that some significant changes would need to be made to handle it, and items like it.

Reflavoring: the change of flavor without changing any mechanical part of the game, no matter how small, in order to fit the mechanics to an otherwise unsupported concept. Retexturing: the change of flavor (with at most minor mechanical adaptations) in order to effortlessly create support for a concept without inventing anything new. Houseruling: the change, either minor or major, of the mechanics in order to better reflect a certain aspect of the game, including adapting the rules to fit an otherwise unsupported concept. Homebrewing: the complete invention of something new that fits within the system in order to reflect an unsupported concept. Default module =/= Core mechanic.

So, we've supposedly got Dragon 400 and 401 in the CB.  Will the new hybrid rules from Dragon 400 be getting added any time soon?
[20:53] [SadisticFish] yeah Llamas convinced me
The devout warpriest compendium entry is still missing all the neverwinter domain benefits.  Ideally you would have 8 seperate entries for each domain, but if not the one entry needs to have all the information.
So, we've supposedly got Dragon 400 and 401 in the CB.  Will the new hybrid rules from Dragon 400 be getting added any time soon?

I've read other posters say (and I agree with) that we'll see that specific content in October based on the "updated 8/10/11" both on the web page and in the PDF.  wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/dra/2...

I tend to think this will be the standard going forward...just treat the update date as the original "release" date.
Has anyone else had trouble finding the things like boons.  They seem to have disapeared on me.  I submitted a bug report already but it occurs to me that I probably should have asked around tomake sure I wasn't just being stupid and mis-remembering where they were or something.

I could be off, but aren't those still playtest rules, which means they won't be in the CB at all?  I swear I read something to that effect. Undecided

I could be off, but aren't those still playtest rules, which means they won't be in the CB at all?  I swear I read something to that effect. 

Yes when the article was first released it clearly stated that the article would not be included in the CB and Compendium until it was a finalzed (non playtest) article.  The finalized article was released on August 10th which was during the Dragon #402 run.  So I am assuming that that would mean that when Dragon #402 is included in October that this article will be included then.