Equipment VS Redirect

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
I ran into this issue a couple weeks ago playing.
My opponent was going to equip a Sword of Vengeance and I had Redirect in my hand.

Since Equiping is played as a Sorcery, shouldn't Redirect work to redirect this equiping to one of your own creatures?

Thanks!
I am Blue/White
No, for two reasons. First, Redirect can only be used on a spell, and the equip ability is not a spell; it's an ability. (The "Equip only as a sorcery" line in the reminder text is explaining when you are permitted to activate the ability, not saying that doing so is casting a sorcery spell.) Second, the Equip ability can only target a creature controlled by the player who activated it--your creatures are not legal targets for the Equip ability of your opponent's Sword of Vengeance, so even if you could use Redirect on the Equip ability, you still couldn't choose to have the ability target your creatures.

Please note that the forum you want to be asking these kinds of questions in is Rules Q&A, the 'Questions and Answers' forum. Rules Theory and Templating is for in-depth discussion of things like why the rules are the way they are, errors or omissions within them, how they can or should be altered, and similar. Simple rules questions like this one belong in the Q&A forum. I'll just get this moved there for you now.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

Since Equiping is played as a Sorcery, shouldn't Redirect work to redirect this equiping to one of your own creatures?

No.

Equip is an activated ability. It has timing restrictions which are the same as those for a sorcery, but it is not a sorcery. Redirect can't change the target of an activated ability. (something like Reroute can).

Additionally, even if you could change the target, you can only change the target to a legal target, and the equip ability can only target a creature it's controller controls. You would be able to change the target to a different creature your opponent controls, but not to one of your creatures.

Okay! Thanks for the quick responses and sorry for the mispost.
I am Blue/White