Expert DM Competition 31: Forge an Item Set!

191 posts / 0 new
Last post
XDMC 31: Forge an Item Set!
Welcome to the thirty-first Expert Dungeon Master Competition! The primary purpose of the Expert Dungeon Master Competitions is threefold:

• To create a resource for new Dungeon Masters drawing on the vast talent pool of the experienced Dungeon Masters of this forum.

• To create a fun and vibrant competition that is sportsmanlike and friendly.

• To showcase the creativity and talent of Dungeon Masters like you.

The best way to keep informed about the competition is to join the Expert Dungeon Master Competition group. There you can review the rules, archives, and future contest ideas, and get broadcasts telling you when new competitions begin and when results are released!

The topic for this competition is Item Set. This competition asks you to create a unique Item Set for use in a campaign. Adventurers Vault 2, where Item Sets first appeared, describes Item Sets as follows:

Item Set Pic

Item Sets

Some magic items were made to work together. When all the items belonging to a set are collected and wielded in unison, their power becomes greater than the sum of their parts. Depending on how much of a magic item set has been assembled, its collective items can grant additional qualities, different properties, and new powers to their wielders.

A magic item set contains four or more items that a character or a party can collect. Each set has at least one set benefit that is revealed when a minimum number of the set's items are used together. Some set items also have individual properties or effects that depend on the number of other set items being used.

To qualify for an item set's benefits, a character must be wielding or wearing one or more items from the set. A stowed item (for example, a magic cloak stuffed in a pack) doesn't count toward a set's benefits (though a sheathed weapon is considered to be worn). Wondrous items are an exception and need only be carried in order for a character to gain an item set's benefits.

Each magic item in a set can stand alone. No item needs to be used with another of its set to function.

Group Sets

Some item sets are designed to be borne not by a single character, but by the members of an entire party. When a party collects the items of a group item set, the set benefits are determined by the number of allies who possess items from the set. Each character wearing or wielding an item from the set qualifies for the set benefits.

You can also find more information about Item Sets in the following three articles on Wizards' website:

Required Elements

In order to enter this competition, your entry must fulfill the following required elements:

• Name: Name the Item Set.

• Number: The Item Set must have between four and eight items.

• Knowledge: Provide the information characters can know of the Item Set with a successful History check.

• Nuts and Bolts: Provide all stats necessary to include an Item Set in a campaign.

• Group Set: State whether or not the Item Set is a group set.

If you fail to include a required element, you will receive a score of zero in Themes.

Optional Elements

Each entry must include three optional elements. If the entry is for a group set, it may include elements from the "General" or "Group" lists. If the entry is not for a group set, it may include elements from the "General" or "Individual" lists. The optional elements in each category are:

General

1. Altruistic: Each item in the Item Set affects allies and/or enemies, but confers no direct benefit to its owner.

2. Bloodless: None of the items, or the Item Set as a whole, alters action points, attacks, damage, death saves, defenses, healing surges, or saving throws.

3. Encyclopedic: Each item affects a different knowledge skill.

4. Foe-Specific: The Item Set is designed to combat a foe with a specific type, origin, or subtype.

5. Polyglot: Each item in the Item Set grants the owner an extra language.

6. Ritualistic: At least one item in the Item Set, or the Item Set as a whole, grants a benefit with respect to one or more rituals or to ritual casting.

7. Special Endings: Either the Item Set as a whole imposes a penalty once assembled, or each item imposes a penalty until the entire Item Set is assembled.

8. Synchronized: The Item Set provides an additional benefit if a power from each item is activated in a single round.

9. Taxidermic: Each item is made from one or more body parts of one or more creatures.

10. Zealous: Each item grants a benefit to an owner who is either chaotic evil or lawful good.

Group

1. Aural: Each item in the Item Set grants the owner an aura, and additional effects if two or more auras from the Item Set overlap.

2. Matching: Every item in the Item Set occupies the same item slot.

3. Multiracial: Each item in the Item Set is intended for use by characters of different races.

4. Role-Specific: Each item in the Item Set is intended for use by characters of different class roles.

Individual

1. Assembly Required: Any benefit from the Item Set as a whole requires the items to be physically connected.

2. Ennobling: The Item Set grants the owner access to a noble title.

3. Mundane: No item grants any benefits unless the owner possesses at least one other item from the Item Set.

4. Unlucky: All previous owners of the complete Item Set have met terrible fates; the Item Set is believed to be cursed.

Your entry should list the optional elements you intended to include. If you do not, you will be scored only for those elements the judges happen to notice.

General Rules

Following are some general rules of the Expert DM Competition. The complete list of rules is in the Expert Dungeon Master Competition Group Wiki.

• Code of Conduct. All entries must comply with the forum's Code of Conduct.

• Contest Duration. Contests usually run for two weeks, beginning with the post announcing the competition. The Coordinator may extend the duration of the contest at his discretion after consulting the other judges for that competition. However, such extensions should be done very rarely.

• Edits Made at Entrants' Own Risk. A judge may download your entry any time after it is submitted. So any edits you make might not be considered by a judge. For this reason, you should submit your entry in as complete a form as possible. Use the preview function liberally. Once winners have been announced, entrants may edit their entries.

• Multiple Entries Prohibited. Each applicant may only submit one entry during the period in which entries may be submitted. Submitting multiple entries disqualifies all entries. Additional entries may be submitted after the competition closes, but they will not be judged.

• Multi-Post Entries Prohibited. Each entry must be contained within a single post. The judges must ignore any subsequent posts.

• Outside Materials Prohibited. Your entry may not include material hosted on a website other than wizards.com and community.wizards.com. Images from your profile gallery may be used. The judges must ignore material hosted on other websites.

• Plagiarism and Peer Reviewing Prohibited. All entries must be the original, exclusive work of the applicant. Entries found to be copying the work of another, or that have been posted for review prior to the close of the competition, will be disqualified.

Judges and Schedule

The contest will run from today through Friday, October 7, 2011. All entries must be submitted no later than 12:00 midnight at the end of that day (Eastern Standard Time). The judges of this contest are ankiyavon, ClanBattlerage, Fedosu, and Pluisjen, and the coordinator of this contest is wrecan. Good luck and have fun!!
Questions and Answers

(questions posed by potential entrants and the coordinator's response)

Q. For purposes of the "Knowledge" Required Element, can we subtitute a Skill other than History?

A. No.  However, you are welcome to include the information a character might learn from checks for Skills in addition to History.

Q. Will an entry describing a Group Set be disqualified or otherwise penalized for fulfilling an optional element from the Individual list (and vice versa)?

A. No.  However, such elements will not count towards the three optional elements the entry must include.

Q. For purposes of the "Bloodless" General Optional Element, can you use items, like armor, weapons, and neck slot items, which universally grant enhancement bonuses to the wearer?

A. Only if the item does not grant such enhancement bonuses.  Doing that will almost certainly affect your Usability score.

Q. For purposes of the "Taxidermic" General Optional Element, must the items be made exclusively of body parts?

A. No.

Q. For purposes of the "Zealous" General Optional Element, can the item grant a benefit to an owner who is lawful good, but not to one who is chaotic evil (and vice versa)?

A. Yes.  Additionally, if the item or set grants the same benefit to owners who are either lawful good or chaotic evil (but not other alignments), the item will still satisfy this element.

Q. For purposes of the "Matching" Group Optional Element, what is an "item slot"?

A. An item slot is a category of magic item that limits the number of items of that category that can be used by a character at any given time.  The item slots are armor, arms, companion, familiar, feet, hands, head, implement, neck, mount, ring, shield, tattoo, waist, and weapon.

Q. For purposes of the "Role-Specific" Group Optional Element, can each item be restricted to a specific class, if each class has different roles?

A. Yes.  However, restricting an item Set to a party with specific classes will adversely affect your Usability score.  Also, some classes have subclasses of different roles.  Make sure that the item is intended for use by only one of the class roles to which that class might belong.

Medalists and Scores
We are pleased to announce the winners of Expert Dungeon Master Competition 31!

The bronze medal goes to...

Exultation
for
Four Winds' Fury!

The silver medal goes to...

Qube
for
Relics of the Righteous One!!

and the gold medal goes to...

Wipxepitl
for
Chain Gang's Shackles!!!
As Exultation is a former medalist, this means that both Wipxepitl and Exultation are our newest Heroic Dungeon Masters!  Congratulations to all of the medalists and thanks to all who participated in this competition, but especially to the judges, ankiyavon, ClanBattlerage, Fedosu, and Pluisjen, who kept the competition running like a well-designed item set!

Stay tuned while we plan Expert Dungeon Master Competition 32.  In the meantime, enjoy these carefully tabulated scores:

No.CreativityUsabilityThemesClarityBonusTOTALEntrant’s Entry
19 1/47 3/46 1/26 1/429 3/4Cassan's Divine Astral Armor
21110 3/47 1/47 1/436 1/4Seeker95's Golden Avenger Full Plate Armor
312 3/410 1/277 1/237 3/4Exultation's Four Winds' Fury
41110 3/46 1/27 1/2136 3/4Geoffa's Garb of the Shadow Princess
513 1/49 1/28 1/46 1/4239 1/4Wipxepitl's Chain Gang's Shackles
61210 3/47 3/48 1/438 3/4Qube's Relics of the Righteous One
Is there a reason for the 8-item maximum?
Qube's block builder: if you want to create blocks for powers, items and monsters for this forum, but don't know html
Signature in a box
For years, I've lived a double life. In the day, I do my job - I ride the bus, roll up my sleeves with the hoi-polloi. But at night, I live a life of exhilaration, of missed heartbeats and adrenalin. And, if the truth be known a life of dubious virtue. I won't deny it - I've been engaged in violence, even indulged in it. I've maimed and killed adversaries, and not merely in self-defence. I've exhibited disregard for life, limb and property, and savoured every moment. You may not think it, to look of me but I have commanded armies, and conquered worlds. And though in achieving these things I've set morality aside, I have no regrets. For though I've led a double life, at least I can say - I've lived.

3.jpg
D&D Home Page - What Monster Are You? - Stone Gaint

Scipio: And Chihuahuas have definitely improved in the "attacking ankles, yapping, and being generally annoying" environment. Me: OK, am I the only who sees an analogy between forum trolls & Chihuahuas?
Some of my work:
XDMC 19 (silver): A full fledged assassins guild (with stats, skill challenges, ...)link XDMC 14 (Bronze): a one shot campaign for beginning DMs/players. link XDMC 16: Paragon path: the Epitome: being better then all then any one else. link (note: this is balanced) XDMC 25: The Gelatinous Cube mount Guide To Disreality: a collection of houserules - Introduction & table of content
My ego in a box
who am I kidding? my ego would never fit in a box
I'm guessing something about "the judges don't want to read a 300-page epic", or maybe just "we need some kind of limit on this thing" :P
Epic Dungeon Master

Want to give your players a kingdom of their own? I made a 4e rule system to make it happen!

Your Kingdom awaits!
Update 5th Sep 2011: Added a sample kingdom, as well as sample of play.
Is there a reason for the 8-item maximum?

Brevity is the soul of wit.

or

Brev'y = wit's soul.
Brevity is the soul of wit.

Does this open up the idea of a Twitter-XDMC?  Describe your entry in 140 characters or less!

T'would make judging far easier.  ;)

Sorceror: "I'll attack the [solo monster] with Chaos Bolt." Warden: "Don't you ever use encounter powers?!?!?" Sorceror: (casually) "I don't need to." ----------- "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live." - Martin Golding
Hey, Wrecan, did you send out a broadcast? I don't think I got notice that this contest had opened.
If you look past the plot and the voice acting, Metroid: Other M was an okay game. Not a great game, but an adequate one. Not using the Metroid item collect jingle though? That, was a mistake.
I did.  I sent it out this morning.  I also received it.
I will be entering this competition. Working on it now!
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
Excellent. I'm excited to be judging. I can't wait to see what people submit.

Nothing.

That is all.

I did.  I sent it out this morning.  I also received it.

So did I, it seems. There's just no longer any notification when one recieves a new broadcast. Hm.
If you look past the plot and the voice acting, Metroid: Other M was an okay game. Not a great game, but an adequate one. Not using the Metroid item collect jingle though? That, was a mistake.
Received nothing! Of course, I have to check whether I'm actually a part of the XDMC group.

I'll be participating in this one :D Sounds awesome and I have a good idea already! 
Heroic Dungeon Master
Some of the existing item sets have skills in addition to History, or do not use History at all, in their knowledge checks. Do we have to use History only, or can we use other skill checks in addition/besides History?
Some of the existing item sets have skills in addition to History, or do not use History at all, in their knowledge checks. Do we have to use History only, or can we use other skill checks in addition/besides History?

You can use other Skills in addition to History, but you must also include what information you learn as a result of a history check.
Not really liking the narrow field of "must use three optionals", but I'l shoehorn my idea into this requirement somehow.
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.

You can use other Skills in addition to History, but you must also include what information you learn as a result of a history check.

So, then you MUST include History as an option to obtain that knowledge?
Not really liking the narrow field of "must use three optionals", but I'l shoehorn my idea into this requirement somehow.

You need to use at LEAST three optionals.  You can include all of them if you want.  Just keep in mind that more isn't necessarily better.  If an element seems like it was "shoehorned" in, it'll probably count against you.  If the extra elements flow into the design nicely, then the more the better.

@ToeSama:  Concerning the use of History, I'll let Wrecan make the official call on that.  Personally, I'd say that history needs to be a bare minimum.  History allows the character to understand how the item came to be, who previously owned it, which noteworthy events it may have taken part in, etc.  You could certainly include other knowledge skills to find out more interesting (or usability) information on the items to enhance their story.

But don't take my word for it.

Sorceror: "I'll attack the [solo monster] with Chaos Bolt." Warden: "Don't you ever use encounter powers?!?!?" Sorceror: (casually) "I don't need to." ----------- "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live." - Martin Golding
I'm not so concerned with being able to use other knowledge skills in addition of History so much as I am being able to use other knowledge skills INSTEAD of History. I'm not sure if there is a distinction being made in the rules between the history of an item or the use of the History skill to recall information of an item. That's what I want to confirm. I'd like to use Arcana as my skill of choice instead of the History skill.

You need to use at LEAST three optionals.  You can include all of them if you want.  Just keep in mind that more isn't necessarily better.  If an element seems like it was "shoehorned" in, it'll probably count against you.  If the extra elements flow into the design nicely, then the more the better.

Also, if you're using more than three, remember to list the three that you feel are the strongest.

If, for example, you have four elements that you think you did a great job with, and one that you kind of included, list three of the four for your optionals, to make sure no judge counts the 'kind of' one as a poorly done optional (because we didn't notice the other good ones).
The difference between madness and genius is determined only by degrees of success.

You must state what knowledge the characters can learn with a History check. 

That's it.  That's the requirement.  If you write "A History check that surpasses a difficult DC reveals nothing more than that no object matching this description has ever been seen in this world", so be it.  You met the element.  (Whether that flies with the judges as being reasonable is an entirely different matter, that could affect your Creativity and Clarity scores; but everything you write can affect your Creativity and Clarity scores.)

I don't understand the "instead of" aspect of your question.  There is no "instead of".  If the characters can learn something about the item with an Arcana check, a Dungeoneering check, a Religion check, or even an Endurance check, you can include that, though it won't satisfy the Knowledge requirement.  The Knowledge requirement can only be satisfied by explaining what the characters might learn with a History check.
Also, if you're using more than three, remember to list the three that you feel are the strongest.

If, for example, you have four elements that you think you did a great job with, and one that you kind of included, list three of the four for your optionals, to make sure no judge counts the 'kind of' one as a poorly done optional (because we didn't notice the other good ones).

I'm going to respectfully disagree with this assessment.  When I judge (though I'm not judging this contest), I personally only judge the Themes category based on the three elements that the entry best meets in my opinion.

Usually, I look at each of the elements the entrant identifies and give it a score from 0 to 3.  Zero means the entry didn't actually meet the element listed.  1 means technically met the element, but it feels forced.  2 means it met the element and fits well with the overall entry.  3 means that it meets the element so seamlessly, I may not have even realized that aspect of the entry was an optional element.

I take the three best scoring elements and add them together.  Then if the entry as a whole fit the contest theme remarkably well (regardless of how well it met the individual optional elements), I give it another point, for a score between 0 and 10.  I notice, though, that sometimes someone who is convinced they nailed an optional element actually misread it, or the element feels forced to me, though it felt seamless ot the author.  And at the same time, some other optional element that the author felt was a throw-in backup works perfectly for me and gets a higher score than the other element.  In such cases, the entrant was definitely better served by listing all the elements the entry might meet.

So I don't directly penalize someone who lists more than three optional elements, though I notice that when someone tries to meet many optional elements, they end up with a bunch of 1's and 2's, whereas someone with a more focused entry will end up with more 2's and 3's.  So, indirectly, I have noticed that attempting to meet many elements results in lower scores.

Another good piece of advice is to list the required elements too.  That way the judges don't have to worry that you didn't meet one and give you a zero in Themes.
Another good piece of advice is to list the required elements too.  That way the judges don't have to worry that you didn't meet one and give you a zero in Themes.

I absolutely agree here.  Tell me which elements you think you satisfied.  Judging is hard enough without have to scour the entry trying to figure out "did she mean to satisfy element #2 or #5 here?"  Spelling it out helps us see the entry from your perspective and helps us understand what you were trying to get across in it.

I also agree with Wrecan on the idea where fewer optionals are generally better.  In my early experience making submissions, I tried to satisfy as many as I reasonably could...and ended up not satisfying any of them particularly well.  So I learned to pick the minimum needed and design around those.  Once I got those nailed down, I'd see if any of the others could be fit in gracefully.  It really does help, as it focuses your creativity into a concise idea instead of forcing you to try to herd all the cats into a loosely cohesive idea.  Of course, that's the way my brain works.  God help the rest of you whose brains work like mine...

That said, feel free to add as many optionals as you like!  I sincerely hope that you can work in 4-5 (or more?) in a really solid entry.  THAT would make for some seriously awesome item set.  And one I'd surely steal for my own game.  ;)
You need to use at LEAST three optionals.  You can include all of them if you want.

I'm saying the opposite. Three is too many, and the options provided are so restrictive that they cease to be options and instead serve as straight-jackets. They might fit the item sets the judges had in mind when they crafted the competition requirements, but they restrict the variety of elements the participants can create.

I'll force-fit my item set into this straight-jacket, because I want to enter.
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
Hm, they're not supposed to serve as straight-jackets at all. I certainly didn't have any sets in mind when I suggested any of this stuff. They're just cool concepts. They also help give people inspiration and make it a bit more exciting to come up with something that's both awesome and follows certain requirements.

I can even show you that it's not straight jackets, just inspiration, by making a supplemental entry using the exact same optionals you picked and making something completely different ;)

It's sometimes annoying when you come up with something great and then realise it doesn't fit the optionals (but it's often a fun challenge to make it meet the optionals, which is often possible) but it's happened to me more often that the optionals actually inspired me and made my entry better then it would have been otherwise. 
Epic Dungeon Master

Want to give your players a kingdom of their own? I made a 4e rule system to make it happen!

Your Kingdom awaits!
Well hell, before I gave up on the last competition I was going to enter an item set.  This should go nicely.
Resident Shakespeare

Not a judge in this one, but I would take it to mean you must include history to obtain some knowledge. Nothing says you can't have different knowledge from a History check and, say, an Arcana check.
You need to use at LEAST three optionals.  You can include all of them if you want.

I'm saying the opposite. Three is too many, and the options provided are so restrictive that they cease to be options and instead serve as straight-jackets. They might fit the item sets the judges had in mind when they crafted the competition requirements, but they restrict the variety of elements the participants can create.

I'll force-fit my item set into this straight-jacket, because I want to enter.

Yeah, sometimes it can be tough to come up with something that fits the optionals.  I always figured thats why they were there, though, to add to the challenge.

Personally, though, I never viewed them as straight jackets.  In fact, if I don't have a good idea right off the bat I'll sometimes look through them and ask myself what optional or combination thereof might make for something interesting.

Divine Astral Armor 

Individual Set - Plate armor, Shield, Gauntlets, Helm.  
Optional Elements - Foe Specific, Unlucky, Zealous.

History Check

The Dawn War was the cosmic conflict in the astral realm where a mighty battle raged between the various dominions.  The astral sea is a great ocean where githyanki pirate ships, quom raiders and dominion ships travel.  Hestavar, a wealthy city of exalted deities floats atop gold and silver clouds, is the home of Erathis, the god of civilization.  It is there that Erathis created a divine set of armor for her 9 champion lords to battle Asmodeous forces.  Each lord captained an Astral Vessel and the armor provided benefits for navigation and defense against the devils.

The sets of armor were lost during the Dawn War.  Each champion lord, upon their death, generated a mighty explosion which scattered the items across the Astral sea.  It is said that anyone who wears the full set is marked by Asmodeous to die with a similar fate.

Divine Astral Helm

Divine Astral HelmLevel 23+
This ornate helm glows with a blue tint when worn in the Astral realm. It makes the wearer and allies less susceptible to fear effects and provides benefits when navigating the Astral Sea.
Level: 23 (425,000 gp)Level: 29 (2,625,000 gp)
Item Slot: Head (Lawful Good only)
Property: +4 bonus to all skill checks used for navigating the Astral Sea.
Property: +2 item bonus to all saving throws against devils fear effects for the wearer and allies within 20 squares.
Power ( Daily ) : Free Action. Use this power to gain a power bonus to damage rolls against Devils.
Level 23: +15 power bonus to damage rolls.
Level 29: +25 power bonus to damage rolls.

Divine Astral Shield

Divine Astral ShieldLevel 20+
Activate the power of this shield to defend the ally from attack by a devil.
Level: 20 (125,000 gp)Level: 30 (3,125,000 gp)
Item Slot: Arms (Lawful Good only)
Property: Gain 5 resist damage from all attacks by devils.
Power ( Daily ) : Immediate Interrupt. You can use this power when a nearby ally is struck by a ranged attack from a devil. You reflect the attack for 1/2 damage back onto the devil.  The original target suffers no damage.
Level 20: Protect an ally within 5 squares of you.
Level 30: Protect an ally within 10 squares of you.

Divine Astral Armor

Divine Astral ArmorLevel 24+
This armor has been crafted with a picture of silvery waves covering the plate armor.
Level: 24 +5 (525,000 gp)Level: 29 +6 (2,625,000 gp)
Item Slot: Plate (Lawful Good only)
Property: You can fly within the Astral plane with speed equal to your normal speed.
Property: When reduced to 0 hit points or fewer, by a devil, you automatically expend a healing surge if you have any left, even if a healing surge was already used in the same round. 

Divine Astral Gauntlets

Divine Astral GauntletsLevel 23
These silvery blue gloves glow brightly in the presence of devils.
Item Slot: Hands (Lawful Good only) 425,000 gp
Property: Glow brightly when a devil is within one mile.
Property: Add 1d6 to all damage on a devil dealt with a melee weapon.
Power ( Encounter ) : Slide a single devil within 10 squares towards you.  Choose an adjacent square for the devil to land on.  An adjacent square must be free.

Full Item Set

Divine Astral Armor SetLevel 25
When all items are combined the wearer is imbued with a mighty power when facing the devils armada.
Item Set: All 4 Divine Astral Items worn.
Property: Asmodeus mark.  Wearer is three times as likely to attract random encounters with devils in the Astral Sea.
Property: +4 item bonus to all saving throws against devil attacks.  Does not stack with the helms fear bonus.
Property: If the wearer is killed, one round later a mighty explosion on all devils within 20 squares inflicting 12d12 damage and scattering the armor to the Astral winds.
Power ( Daily ) : Throw a massive energy blast at a devil's Astral ship, potentially breaching the hull. The extent of the damage is dependent upon a skill check of Strength or Wisdom determined by the DM based upon distance from the hull, and size of the ship.

DM Note

The armor has no property or power effects if worn by a non-Lawful Good character.  In this case the Divine Astral Armor armor still functions as +5 or +6 armor.
Golden Avenger Full Plate Armor
Seven-piece Individual Item Set

Background

Maias Whurel, a dwarven armorsmith renowned for his skill in crafting heavy armors, was among the few survivors of the dragonwing attacks on the Farral clan. Although the stronghold warriors fought valiantly, they were unable to stop the coordinated attack by dozens of dragons of every color. The mountain stronghold was reduced to rubble, and all but a handful of the clan were killed before the dragons took their anger elsewhere. (To this day, the reason for the attack is a mystery.) Maias took the bodies of the seven dragons that were felled in the battle and constructed a suit of full plate armor for himself, imbuing each piece with powerful enchantments. Wearing this badge of his grief, he spent the rest of his days seeking out and destroying the creatures of his burning hatred, until he met his end in his sleep, a dagger drawn across his throat and left at the scene. The armor was gone.

History/Knowledge

• A DC 15 History check reveals all of the above, as does any successful DC 15 Streetwise check to find someone who knows this story.

• A DC 25 History check (or Streetwise check) reveals that the armor has turned up twice since, and each time the wearer has eventually died in their sleep, a dagger drawn across their throat left at the scene, and the armor gone.

• Once the full set of armor is reunited, a DC 30 Arcana check will reveal the "enhanced" range (and nature) of the telepathy.

Optionals:

• Taxidermic: Constructed from the scales of seven different dragons.

• Foe-specific: When the complete set is adorned, the wearer gains an additional untyped +1 bonus to all hit and damage rolls against dragons and an untyped +1 bonus to all defenses against attacks from dragons.

• Unlucky: When the complete set is adorned, the draconic telepathy extends to a range of one mile with regard to broadcasting the wearer's thoughts.

• Special Endings: This mental affinity to dragons makes the location of the wearer "known" to any dragon within one mile. Many a wearer has met his end at the hands of dragons.

The Individual Pieces:

Golden Avenger Gorget
This steel plated gorget increases your defenses -- possibly all of them!
Level: 12 (13,000 gp)
Item Slot: Neck
Enhancement: +3 Fortitude, Reflex, and Will
3+ Items: Full Defense If the wearer possesses three or more items from this set, the enhancement bonus of this item also applies to AC as an untyped bonus.

Golden Avenger Lamé
This unadorned harness allows you to carry and drag heavier loads.
Level: 13 (17,000 gp)
Item Slot: Waist
Property: When determining your normal load, heavy load, or maximum drag load, treat your Strength score as 10 points higher.
3+ Items: Feats of Strength If the wearer possesses three or more items from this set, this item also provides a +3 bonus to all strength-based skill checks.

Golden Avenger Plate Armor
Special wards in this armor provide extra resistance.
Level: 14 (21,000 gp)
Item Slot: Armor (Plate)
Enhancement: +3 AC
Property: Resist 5 to the following damage types: cold, fire, force, lightning.
3+ Items: Rapid Recovery If the wearer of this item possesses three or more pieces from the set, this item also allows the wearer to use second wind as a minor action instead of a standard action.

Golden Avenger Greaves
These enchanted greaves increase your speed and enhance your jumping capability.
Level: 15 (25,000 gp)
Item Slot: Feet
Property: You gain a +1 item bonus to speed while wearing light or no armor.
Property: You gain a +5 item bonus to Athletics checks made to jump.
3+ Items: Overdrive: If the wearer of this item possesses three or more pieces from the set, the speed bonus applies regardless of the armor type.

Golden Avenger Vambraces
These plate armbands enhance the damage you dole out, and may protect you from ranged missile attacks.
Level: 17 (65,000 gp)
Item Slot: Arms
Property: Gain a +4 item bonus to melee damage
rolls.
3+ Items: Pugilist Parry: If the wearer of this item possesses three or more pieces from the set, ranged attacks against the wearer's AC suffer a -2 to hit .

Golden Avenger Gauntlets
Made of iron and constantly trailing wisps of smoke, these plated gloves incite your inner pyromaniac against foes near and far.
Level: 16 (45,000 gp)
Item Slot: Hands
Property: Add the [Fire]
keyword to any attack as a free action
Power ( DailyFire ): Free Action
Use this power when you make an attack with the fire keyword. The first target hit by that attack, if any, also takes ongoing 10 fire damage (save ends).
3+ Items: Over There If the wearer has three or more items from the set, this item also grants the following Power:
Power ( DailyFire, Melee ): Free Action
Your next melee attack can be used as a Range 5 attack instead.

Golden Avenger Great Helm
This ornate steel helmet incorporating eyelike designs watches every angle, sometimes even in the dark.
Level: 18 (85,000 gp)
Item Slot: Head
Property: You do not grant combat advantage to flanking
enemies.
3+ Items: Darkvision If the wearer has three or more items from the set, this item also grants the wearer darkvision.
3+ Items: Draconic Telepathy If the wearer has three or more items from the set, this item also grants the wearer draconic telepathy to a range of 5 squares. (Unfortunately, this telepathy cannot be turned off in either direction.)

The Full Suit:

Golden Avenger Full Plate Armor
The wearer of this magical suit of full plate gains powers of superheroic proportions!
Level: 19 (271,000 gp)
Item Slot: All component parts
Property: Flight: The full suit grants the wearer a flying speed of 5. However, this flight comes at a price. While in flight, the wearer suffers a -2 penalty to AC and Reflex.
Property: Damage Reduction: The full suit grants the wearer DR 1 against all attacks that do NOT target Will.
Property: Third Wind: The full suit of armor grants the wearer a second use of his second wind in an encounter, as a standard action. (Note: this second use cannot be turned into a minor action by the Plate Armor Rapid Recovery, although if any other power would normally do so, it will apply.)
Property: The full suit of armor grants the following daily attack power:

Repulsor Field
A beam of pure force erupts from your chest, hurling your foes violently away from you.
Daily [Force]
Standard - Close blast 5
Target: All creatures in blast
Attack: Constitution vs lower of Fortitude or Reflex
hit: All creatures caught in the blast suffer 5d10 force damage and are pushed 3 squares
miss: Half damage, and pushed one square

Note for the DM:

Each of the items in this set are derived from existing magical items to make incorporation into the Character Builder a bit eaiser, although the addtional "set powers" will have to be maintained separately. The equivalent items (with slight variation in some) match as follows:

• Golden Avenger Gorget: Amulet of Protection +3

• Golden Avenger Lamé: Muleback Harness

• Golden Avenger Plate Armor: Armor of Resistance +3

• Golden Avenger Greaves: Boots of Striding and Springing

• Golden Avenger Vambraces: Iron Armbands of Power

• Golden Avenger Gauntlets: Burning Gauntlets

• Golden Avenger Great Helm: Crown of Eyes

• Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
And we have out first two entries!  Thanks, Cassan and Seeker95!
Matching: Every item in the Item Set occupies the same item slot.

Would a set of slotless items fulfill this requirement?

Thanks,
Roger
I am unsure how to read the "Zealous" optional.  Does it have to grant the bonus to BOTH Chaotic Evil and Lawful Good or only one of the two?
I am unsure how to read the "Zealous" optional.  Does it have to grant the bonus to BOTH Chaotic Evil and Lawful Good or only one of the two?

I believe the intent of the optional was for it to be "an extreme alignment".  By the literal reading, I'd say one or the other...

...although interpreting it, I could very easily see an item offering a bonus to both alignments.  Since no one character will be both alignments, I don't see why one couldn't allow for both on a single item.  That would also make for a particularly interesting item; assuming it was crafted well.

Wrecan's call, of course.

@RogerC: My gut feeling is "no".  Since by definition, a "slotless" item doesn't occupy a slot.  Thus it can't "occupy the same slot" as another.

Matching: Every item in the Item Set occupies the same item slot.
Would a set of slotless items fulfill this requirement?

No.  An item slot is a category that limits the number of a type of item usable at any time by a character.  Thus "ring" is an item slot because you can only wear one or two (or more if wearing many fingered gloves).

Either one or both will satisfy the requirement.
wrecan,

Under "Special Endings" can the set impart a boon instead of a penalty?

Under "Role-Specific" could that be the set confers a set benefit only if character is of a specific class?

Where would you categorize a benefit only if the character were a specific class or possessed a specific class tradition/feature (multiclassing or hybrid could then become an option for said benefit)?

Would the three of these qualify as having enough options?

Thanks

Edit: One other thing I forgot how to make those stat blocks. I you could guide in that direction, please.
Most people use Qube's blockbuilder which can be found here: www.ruigekonijnen.nl/blockbuilder.html

I'll leave the ruling to wrecan
Epic Dungeon Master

Your Kingdom awaits!

Under "Role-Specific" could that be the set confers a set benefit only if character is of a specific class?

Unfortunately, Class and Role are not inseparable anymore. One class can *cringe* have multiple roles. So I assume not. 

/not a judge
/just my 2c 
Which classes exactly? A class' role is always defined by the primary role. I haven't come across a class that says 'Role: Striker AND Controller' as opposed to many classes that say 'Role: Striker, with secondary role Controller'. In this second example, the role is Striker.

So, trying to pass off your Fighter as a Striker might work with certain builds, but it's still a Defender. Even if you've gimped your Fighter so hard on that aspect that he can't actually fulfill the Defender role anymore. 

/Also not a judge
/just my 2cp 
Heroic Dungeon Master
Under "Special Endings" can the set impart a boon instead of a penalty?

No.  The optional element specifically states "penalty".

Yes.  However, keep in mind that restricting the item set to parties comprised of four specific classes will adversely affect your Usability score.