Bladesinger blade-channeling?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Can Bladesingers channel magic through their blades like Sorcerers?  In other words, can they turn a ranged power into a melee one by using their blade as an impliment?

Thanks 
Can Bladesingers channel magic through their blades like Sorcerers?  In other words, can they turn a ranged power into a melee one by using their blade as an impliment?

Thanks 

Can they channel magic through their blades? Yes.
Do they channel it like Sorcerers? No.
Can they turn a ranged power into a melee one by using their blade as an implement? No.

Do they even need to do so? No.

In detail:
Bladesingers have a class feature that allows them to treat a light or heavy blade as if it was a Wand implement (these have to be specified, because the Bladesinger can, surprisingly, use pretty much any weapon for most of his features[1]).  They also have a class feature that makes them immune to provoking opportunity attacks when making ranged or area attacks, so it's actually unnecessary for them to turn their ranged attacks into melee attacks.

[1]Yes, there is actually a possible Hammersinger build, without having to houserule at all; you'll just need to find ways to turn your hammer into a viable implement, assuming you'll be utilizing it as such.

Show

You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what you create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.

D&D Home Page - What Monster Are You? - D&D Compendium

57047238 wrote:
If you're crossing the street and see a city bus barreling straight toward you with 'GIVE ME YOUR WALLET!' painted across its windshield, you probably won't be reaching for your wallet.
I Don't Always Play Strikers...But When I Do, I Prefer Vampire Stay Thirsty, My Friends
This is what I believe is the spirit of D&D 4E, and my deal breaker for D&D Next: equal opportunities, with distinct specializations, in areas where conflict happens the most often, without having to worry about heavy micromanagement or system mastery. What I hope to be my most useful contributions to the D&D Community: DM Idea: Collaborative Mapping, Classless 4E (homebrew system, that hopefully helps in D&D Next development), Gamma World 7E random character generator (by yours truly), and the Concept of Perfect Imbalance (for D&D Next and other TRPGs in development) Pre-3E D&D should be recognized for what they were: simulation wargames where people could tell stories with The Best Answer to "Why 4E?" Fun vs. Engaging
Now it makes sense!  Thanks for answering so simply

Do they even need to do so? No.

That much is true.. most wizards dont anymore need any such feature... why because staff expertise is a cheap fix which covers sorcerors better than the blade channelling and its tied up in a feat tax awesome might as well take it.

Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."