How do you carry and organize your dungeon tiles?

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
How do you DMs carry and sort your dungeon tiles? Currently I'm just carrying them in the cases they came in, but they aren't really sorted, and my wilderness box is getting really full. I was wondering if anyone has come up with a way to sort and easily carry them. I use a tackle box for my tokens, and that works okay (but it's a super cheap tackle box so there are gaps the tokens slide between). Plus I just like to be able to organize things like this so I can easily find them.

Any good ideas?
How do you DMs carry and sort your dungeon tiles? Currently I'm just carrying them in the cases they came in, but they aren't really sorted, and my wilderness box is getting really full. I was wondering if anyone has come up with a way to sort and easily carry them. I use a tackle box for my tokens, and that works okay (but it's a super cheap tackle box so there are gaps the tokens slide between). Plus I just like to be able to organize things like this so I can easily find them.

Any good ideas?

None as yet, and I'm in the same boat.  I have many tile sets, and like you, they are in the boxes (which are great themselves as elevated terrain!).  At present, we all play at my residence, so transporting isn't an issue.  However, like you, I would like some sort of sorting.  

What about plastic folding pocket folders?  The accordian style?  What ya think?

D&D Home Page - What Monster Are You? - D&D Compendium

The BEST gaming mats ever: www.zuzzy.com http://www.amazon.com/Stormwalkers-ebook/dp/B004ULVL08/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318513150&sr=8-1
For the essentials boxed tiles, I use elastic bands to group all the same sized tiles together. For non-boxed sets, I use these transparent plastic document boxes which I got from a local stationers

www.amazon.co.uk/5xA4-Slim-Tuff-Magzne-R... 

I found one set fits just nicely in one box.
I have all my tiles + minis in a big tool box I bought for the purpose. Really helped out when we moved around where we gamed every session. Only issue I found was that all the sets were in a bit of a mess if I wanted a specific theme. I have started putting them all in the same order e.g general dungeon follows forest follows caverns etc. I haven't had much chance to test this system out though.
I went to Michaels (but any craft store should work) and picked up plastic bags from their jewelry/bead section.  So I have some that I keep the 1x1's and 1x2's in, and then some that are larger that will fit about 8-10 of the 2x4's in, or double that amount of the 4x4's.  I then keep each theme in it's individual box.  the 3x3's and larger tiles I just stack loosely, and they don't really seem to go anywhere.  The mess was all the smaller tiles.

I also emptied one of my old, sturdy, starter set boxes, and this box is where I keep the tiles from the miscellaneous non-Master sets.  So, true, I now have 4 boxes of tiles that I need to carry with me if I want  all my tiles present, but it keeps them organized.  And I can always just take 1-2 sets, if I know ahead of time where about my group will be going.
"Five million Cybermen, easy. One Doctor? NOW you're scared!" - Rose Tyler
I have a few accordian-style boxes for my tiles, but I'm only somewhat enthusiastic by that solution. Those accordian file boxes are really built for paper, and the cardboard tiles are a fair deal more bulky. I mean, sure, I have them organized roughly by what they are (all the stairs are in one file, all the sewer/city tiles in another, etc), but there are empty files in between, and while you can get to a file with the stuff you want, you still have to rummage through.

Gold is for the mistress, silver for the maid

Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.

"Good!" said the Baron, sitting in his hall,

"But Iron -- Cold Iron -- is master of them all." -Kipling

Miss d20 Modern? Take a look at Dias Ex Machina Game's UltraModern 4e!

57019168 wrote:
I am a hero, not a chump.
I have a few accordian-style boxes for my tiles, but I'm only somewhat enthusiastic by that solution. Those accordian file boxes are really built for paper, and the cardboard tiles are a fair deal more bulky. I mean, sure, I have them organized roughly by what they are (all the stairs are in one file, all the sewer/city tiles in another, etc), but there are empty files in between, and while you can get to a file with the stuff you want, you still have to rummage through.

I have seen plastic accordian files, but you are correct; it doesn't solve the rummaging issue.

D&D Home Page - What Monster Are You? - D&D Compendium

The BEST gaming mats ever: www.zuzzy.com http://www.amazon.com/Stormwalkers-ebook/dp/B004ULVL08/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318513150&sr=8-1
i just have them separated by type in big boxes. anything smaller than a 3 by 3 square i separate by type (wilderness, dungeon, city) and have in a different bag so its easier to get small pieces. i keep the athas tiles and winter tiles seperate from the rest
I didn't use plastic bags because I figured that the corners would poke holes in them, and eventually cause them to fail. Anybody who does use plastic bags, how long do they hold up?

Gold is for the mistress, silver for the maid

Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.

"Good!" said the Baron, sitting in his hall,

"But Iron -- Cold Iron -- is master of them all." -Kipling

Miss d20 Modern? Take a look at Dias Ex Machina Game's UltraModern 4e!

57019168 wrote:
I am a hero, not a chump.
I used plastic bags for a while.  I poked holes through the corner myself and hung them on a giant key ring.  The bag would last about six months, but it got all twisted.  Plus, i now have too many tiles to sort in baggies.  I'm going to try to find those A4 plastic binders Chimpy20 mentioned in America.  Right now I have them in a big box, and i can't find anything easily.
wrecan,

let us know if you can find any of those in the U.S.

thanks..

Pedro

Pedro2112

I'm sure most stationary shops will sell some kind of document box or small storage box. :-)
I didn't use plastic bags because I figured that the corners would poke holes in them, and eventually cause them to fail. Anybody who does use plastic bags, how long do they hold up?

the ones i use are thick, large, and have a zipper, i think my wife had them originally for art supplies. you would have to work to poke through them
I'm sure most stationary shops will sell some kind of document box or small storage box. :-)

I have a box.  What I want are sleeves, like a photo album, but clear on both sides.
I have a medium sized plastic storage bin that I keep mine in. I have them sorted by size in large ziploc bags.

At first I was trying to keep them together by set but it got to be more trouble than it was worth.
I always thought a three ring thick binder with different clear page sleeves would be great, single full sheet for large tiles, photo size 4 sheet for medium sizes and magic card sleeves for small.
I always thought a three ring thick binder with different clear page sleeves would be great, single full sheet for large tiles, photo size 4 sheet for medium sizes and magic card sleeves for small.

You know... I have both those things sitting next to me... I might have to try this.

I have a box.  What I want are sleeves, like a photo album, but clear on both sides.

Exactly

Pedro2112

You know... I have both those things sitting next to me... I might have to try this.

Photos and comments on whether it worked when done?
I finally got a system for my tiles I am pretty happy with. 

I sorted all mine into "Sort It" 11 x11 Zip lock bags. (Leaving a couple empty so when I design an encounter room/area. I can stick that in a bag for travel.)

I then found a cheap messanger bag (yup, google messanger bag. or go check an Office Max type store.) All my "Sort it"bagged tiles go into it for easy storage or travel.
How do you DMs carry and sort your dungeon tiles?

Also discussed here and here.

I bought a couple of the dungeon tile master sets (the Essientials Boxed sets) The boxes are just the right size for the snap together 3D stuff. I've got the rest sorted in the boxes by size. (3x3 2x4 etc.) The really small tiles I have in ziplock baggies so they don't scatter. 

If you know anyone who deals with industrial parts they often come in extra thick ziploc bags. 

When I DM I always lay out my tiles beforehand and snap a picture with my phone. Then I gather the scene unto a stack. When it comes time I pull up the photo (behind the DM screen) and lay it out as the group explores. 
I store all my tiles in the 2 larger boxed sets I own, though any more & I'll run out of room in these. I try to keep similar tiles together by general type such as outdoor, buildings, dungeons, etc. Gotta get some ziplocs for the smaller stuff which must have like a +20 in stealth/hide the way they skulk off into dark corners.

I did just pick up a 13+1 pocket expanding poly file at Staples for around $12. There's 13 expandable pockets with tabs plus a 1" rigid pocket in front that perfectly holds the small & medium size minis for the session. I did make sure the bottom of the pockets are attached at the base of the pocket - most of the types they had were only attached at the sides which left a space at the bottom where smaller tiles could escape. It will also hold paperwork, maps, flip-mats, etc.

I laid out the tiles for my next session & then filed each tile (or group of tiles if more than one is exposed at a time) in the order that I'd be using them. Worked perfectly - didn't have to worry about them shifting around like in a box or bag, I could pull out the next tiles in order & didn't have to figure out which ones I needed for each section. Plus when done I put them back in the same order as I'm running the same session for someone else tomorrow.
Sign In to post comments