Racial languages

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
I want to run an FR game and make the FR languages more prominant and useful. But it feels as if they're entirely redundant in 4e, superceded by the no-frills brand of racial languages. Now, I could simply say that there are ONLY the FR languages in the game, but then... what do elves speak?

So I was wondering if someone could point me either to a reference online or even within an older sourcebook (I have several of them but can't remember anything about them and searching through them all would take forever) where I could nail down exactly what languages all the races speak on Toril so that I can bring a little bit of flavour back to the setting, that'd be super. 

Disclaimer: Wizards of the Coast is not responsible for the consequences of splitting up the party, sticking appendages in the mouth of a leering green devil face, accepting a dinner invitation from bugbears, storming the feast hall of a hill giant steading, angering a dragon of any variety, or saying yes when the DM asks, “Are you really sure?”

Though its by no means a complete list, you should check out the languages category on the Forgotten Realms Wiki.
IIRC, elves spoke elvish.  In the older editions, eladrin were also elves.  I tend to think of 4e eladrin as high elves, being that they are the sun and moon elves.  I don't believe any of the elven subraces had their own languages other then the drow.

I think the same kinda of paradigm exists for other races.  Gold and Shield dwarves all speak dwarven, humans all speak common, etc.  I don't recall if halflings had their own tongue, I don't think they did.  I don't really recall FR having special languages.
IIRC, elves spoke elvish.  In the older editions, eladrin were also elves.  I tend to think of 4e eladrin as high elves, being that they are the sun and moon elves.  I don't believe any of the elven subraces had their own languages other then the drow.

I think the same kinda of paradigm exists for other races.  Gold and Shield dwarves all speak dwarven, humans all speak common, etc.  I don't recall if halflings had their own tongue, I don't think they did.  I don't really recall FR having special languages.

IIRC the demihumans did indeed just speak their universal demihuman languages, however the humans spoke a lot of different languages

I don't really recall FR having special languages.

Human's had a huge variety of regional languages.

I read in the 4E FR book that the common tongue is a variation of Chondathan. Chondathan is spoken through the heartlands of the world that is a region from Waterdeep all the way through to Sembia and the lands just north and south of that line.

Other languages are Damaran, Netherese(this is an ancient language just recently come back in force with the Netherese).