Enchant Magic Item on items that increase every 10 levels instead of every 5

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
So enchant magic item has this one line in it:

• Alternatively, you can use the ritual to upgrade a common, uncommon, or rare item to a more powerful version of the item that is 5 levels higher

What about items that only increment by 10 levels? Ex: Storm Shield which is 8/18/28?
Is there another ritual that is better and can work for storm shield.  I mean we do have until level 18 to find a ritual to improve storm shield from 8 to 18...

It almost feels like an oversight in the enchant magic item ritual though...

It's not so bad for common items where you can easily sell and buy, you just lose more selling the old item back and buying the 10 levels up.

But for uncommons, where access is restricted (only available through drops) that means I need to use up 3 uncommon drops instead of just 1 plus gold to upgrade to have a proper storm shield for a complete 1-30 campaign.
RAI is obviously that it can upgrade it.

RAW it can't, but I wouldn't even enforce that in LFR since the RAI is so clear, in my opinion.
The difference between madness and genius is determined only by degrees of success.
RAW you're out of luck.  RAI (I suspect) is you can use that ritual to upgrade "...to a more powerful version of the item, such as the one that is 5 levels higher."

Returned from hiatus; getting up to speed on 5e rules lawyering.

Sign In to post comments