09/19/2011 Draft Simulator

32 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Booster Draft Simulator, which goes live Monday morning on magicthegathering.com.

I ended up going Boros, which was likely a mistake. I got almost no burn, and likely loaded up on too many creatures, none of them particularily good.

Round 1:
Solemn Simulacrum - I don't think Carnage Wurm is as bad a card as people seem to think it is. And Arachnus Web is solid removal. However... neither of them are worth dipping into a color when there's a very powerful colorless option here. And nothing even approaches those two in terms of power from the rest here. Therefore, Solemn.
Volcanic Dragon - Interesting... none of these cards are particularily good. Let's see, there's the Dragon with is strong, the Sentinel that might be worth it just because its colorless, and the Griffin is fairly solid. Hm... if I go red, I want the dragon. If I go any other color, I might not want the Sentinel. Red is solid, so I'll take a chance.
Stormfront Pegasus - Which is better, Blood Ogre or Pegasus? I'll go... Pegasus, but it's not an easy choice.
Pacifism - And we are immediately rewarded with a removal spell, score! Kind of regretting taking the Dragon, there's been no good red so far.
Assault Griffin - Tempting to go into blue for Divination, but this is a very solid card.
Goblin Fireslinger - That is a late Dungrove Elder! Unfortunately... we passed a lot of good Green already. And so many of our picks are white already, which we'll want to run all of them. That seriously decreases our Forest count. I say skip it. Now a better question is, do we take a blue or red card? Ether Adept is first pickable, but so is Goblin Fireslinger... and we have the Dragon... okay, I like Boros, even if UW is objectively more powerful.
Divination - ...I hate myself. Divination it is.
Griffin Rider - Huh, let's see... Fling, Griffin Rider, or Amphin Cuthroat? I'd say... Griffin Rider. We have one griffin already, we can make it work if we pick it early.
Griffin Rider - The more the merrier? Should have chosen Fling.
Unsummon - Or not since blue seems way more open than red. Let's go with Unsommon.
Hideous Visage - This is the best card against us here. Whatever we are, we're not Black.
Cancel - Go go Cancel.
Pride Guardian - We seem to be agressive, but this could be a board option.
Llanowar Elves - What is up with this AI??
Plains - Hard choice.

Round 2:
Serra Angel - Pick 15 was harder than this one. Although... Gideon's Lawkeeper is VERY good... still we're more likely to get another of them than another Angel.
Goblin Arsonist - Oi, NOW we get all the sweet red cards?? Well or blue is better than our red, so best to pick a... Ice Cage or... Frost... Breath... are you kidding? Ugh, I'd rather take a decent red card than a god awful blue one. At least they're god awful if you have plenty of flyers.
Gorehorn Minotaurs - ...back into Boros, this is our lucky day.
Bonebreaker Giant - I am now feeling REALLY good about this!
Stormfront Pegasus - Boros city, but I'd rather a two power Flyer than a potentially 3 power First Strike. Flying is just more important for us.
Benalish Veteran - ...what... the hell... is Doomblade... still... doing... here?! Can we splash this? We have a couple of double W and double R cards... I hate getting greedy though. This is likely the wrong choice.
Stave Off - We need a few of these, might as well start now.
Mesa Enchantress - Where are all of the griffins? Oi... if we pick up some more Pacifisms this might be playable.
Spirit Mantle - That is a late Spirit Mantle. I'm tempted to get the Aronists, but the mantle combos with out Enchantress and also gives us some more evasion for our ground guys.
Goblin Piker - Wow, no-one is drafting red. Let's see, we have two goblins so far... I'll get the Piker over the Grenade. I don't want to chuck a 'let's pick the Griffin Rider and find no griffins' on this pick.
Turn to Frog - Turn to Frog is okay against us.
Manic Vandal - Let's see, I can go for the Rift, or the Vandal... how's my creature count and curve? ...I could prolly use more early drops if I'm being agressive.
Wall of Torches - Sure, why not?
Flight - Yay?
Mountain - Double Yay?

Round 3:
Crown of Empires - That is a nice Spider... anyway, though the Piker would be okay in our deck, I'd cry if I hat to first pick it.
Fling - Wow, it's a black bonnanza. Let's see, we can for Fling or Veteran. I think we need a little more removal at this point, even if it's a two for one.
Warstorm Surge - Okay, this is a hard choice... Warstorm Surge is a bomb, but Assault Griffin is very powerful in its own right, not to mention is actually makes our Riders playable. On the other hand, the crown is good too... when in doubt, take removal or a bomb, and the Surge is both.
Elite Vanguard - Eh, it's a good pick. I wish we'd picked the Veteran over Fling now though since there's a second here. Wait, is that the pick? It can't be, I'm iffy on running one.
Goblin Fireslinger - Fireslinger is solid. Slaughter Cry is decent removal, but at this point, we might not need removal period.
Shock - Oh thank god, finally.
Demystify - Um... sideboard?
Manic Vandal - Decent.
Hideous Visage - Hate.
Rites of Flourishing - Raredraf for the win.
Divine Favor - This could be run in our deck. We have Pikers and the Vanguard, it can go on our flyers to block anything, and yeah, it's good.
Fling - Yat for another Fling.
Redirect - Rare.
Demystify - Well if we come against enchantments, we will be ready.
Mountain - No comment.

I... there are a lot of things I should have done differently, but aside from a few facepalming picks like Fling over Veteran, I can't see a real turning point where the draft went train wreck. I guess maybe I was off the rails to begin with? Or perhaps just being pessimistic.
Round 1:
Solemn Simulacrum
Peregrine Griffin
Greater Basilisk
Chasm Drake
Divination
Aether Adept
Divination
Negate
Ponder
Negate
Lure
Cancel
Gladecover Scout
Goblin Grenade
Plains

Round 2:
Jade Mage
Arachnus Web
Aether Adept
Azure Mage
Skywinder Drake
Merfolk Looter
Sorin's Thirst
Aven Fleetwing
Trollhide
Reclaim
Turn to Frog
Ponder
Levitation
Flight
Mountain

Round 3:
Stingerfling Spider
Divination
Skywinder Drake
Skywinder Drake
Redirect
Aether Adept
Ice Cage
Cancel
Fog
Unsummon
Wall of Torches
Negate
Phantasmal Bear
Demystify
Mountain

Solemn seemed like a solid start in an otherwise unexciting pack. I don't remember the details, but I remember pack 2 being awful and picking the griffin because nothing seemed great. I've seen greater basilisk do well in drafts, followed by a chasm drake who I thought would be the basilisks best friend. After grabbing the aether adept and divination and seeing all the good blue going around, I felt pretty comfortable with the commitment. Knowing I was going to be drawing/manipulating my library, I felt like green would be a solid 2nd color with plenty of access to my lands for those high cost cards in my hand if need be. Unfortunately, I didn't end up with very many obvious choices to seal the deal. No bombs, no huge monsters, etc. I guess I could always suit something up with a trollhide and go to town. Whoopee.

P.S Sorin's Thirst was a misclick.

EDIT: P.S: P.S I was totally stoked to see the Redirect floating around 5th/6th pick in pack 3.
I ended up in Green-White.
I started with the Solemn, one of the only good cards in the first pack, and no color, perfect!
The second pack was awefull, I doubted for the Dragon, but I don't like red, not many good creatures, and if the removal isn't passed...
Basilisk is a very good card, and deathtouch with 5 defence is a very powerfull combination!
Pacifism, superb, will it be green-white??? 
Round 2 I got rewarded with 2 Serra Angel's and another Pacifism + a second Arachnus Web, very nice
Also some enchantments with the Mesa Enchantress...

I think I made the good choice for colors, but was surprised to see the 2 players on my left picking green also...

Round 1:
Solemn Simulacrum
Peregrine Griffin
Greater Basilisk
Pacifism
Assault Griffin
Llanowar Elves
Plummet
Rampant Growth
Titanic Growth
Bloodrage Vampire
Lure
Arachnus Web
Pride Guardian
Goblin Grenade
Plains

Round 2:
Serra Angel
Arachnus Web
Serra Angel
Gideon's Lawkeeper
Stormfront Pegasus
Benalish Veteran
Pacifism
Mesa Enchantress
Spirit Mantle
Reclaim
Turn to Frog
Runeclaw Bear
Stave Off
Flight
Mountain

Round 3:
Stingerfling Spider
Benalish Veteran
Assault Griffin
Lurking Crocodile
Auramancer
Stampeding Rhino
Ice Cage
Spirit Mantle
Pride Guardian
Unsummon
Lurking Crocodile
Griffin Rider
Redirect
Demystify
Mountain

My deck I would built:

Creatures (15):
1 Solemn Simulacrum
1 Greater Basilisk
2 Assault Griffin
1 Llanowar Elves
2 Serra Angel
1 Gideon's Lawkeeper
1 Stormfront Pegasus
2 Benalish Veteran
1 Mesa Enchantress
1 Stingerfling Spider
1 Auramancer
1 Stampeding Rhino

Other spells (9): 
2 Pacifism
1 Plummet
1 Rampant Growth
2 Arachnus Web
2 Spirit Mantle
1 Stave Off

Lands (18):
9 Forest
9 Plains 

I think this is a pretty decent deck, no real bombs, but I am protected against flyers, have some nice removal, card-advantage (with the mesa and the enchantments), and the mana curve is not that bad either...
I still got 2x Lurking Crocodile in the sideboard against blue players, and a Peregrine Griffin as most important cards...
Ok, I will update this post later when I got a deck built with my picks. What I do know is that the AI was really wonky in this draft, picks were all over the place from my neighbours and several cards really should have been picked up earlier. In the end I decided to try and make a really aggressive black/red bloodthirst theme stick and it did work out. It seemed if the draft wanted to try and see if you want to pick all the best cards in which case you would have ended up in a five color goodness deck.

P1p1 Solemn Simulacrum. Artifact, so can always fit. Fetches a land, fetches a card when dying. Most powerfull card here
P1p2 Volcanic dragon. Once again, most powerfull card here. Not much can stand up against a 4/4 haste flyer.
P1p3 Hmmm, decision time. Buried ruin keeps me open and combo's nicely with simulacrum. Maybe duskhunter bat or blood ogre
and try to force bloodthirst theme. There are some nice big green creatures. In the end I decide try and see what
happens if I go for forcing bloodthirst theme. I love flying with bloodthirst and prefer the bat over the ogre.
P1p4 I soooooo hope this is not going to bite me in the behind. A pacifism still here? Well, I did say I was going to
force bloodthirst and tormented soul really is good for that. I take the soul.
P1p5 maybe I get rewarded for sticking to my guns. Consume spirit is some good.
P1p6 Right tricky decision here. Devouring swarm is good, so is fireslinger. I decide to take the swarm. I am not
sure yet I can stick it to the bloodthirst theme and I could still chuck creatures to the swarm then.
P1p7 Blood seeker is good imho, it will help chissle life from my opponent.
P1p8 Fling can nicely end things if need be.
P1p9 Circle of flame, just to keep forcing people downwind into blue/green/white
P1p10 Once again I get rewarded. But now to choose, seeker or vampire. Well, I did say I wanted to force bloodthirst,
and the vampire should really turn out to be 4/2 for three mana. I take the vampire
P1p11 Hideous visage. It can be the card to break a deadlock.
P1p12 So what card to hatedraft? Arachnus web is the most powerfull, I hatedraft that one.
P1p13 Pride Guardian
P1p14 llanowar elves
P1p15 Plains

Ok, got some good cards but that last part of the draft rather shows I got someone in front that drafts red/black. Hopefully I can now get some good red/black cards as draft order gets reversed.

P2p1 Now that really shows I get punished for choosing red/black. However , I am not that happy to switch colors at
this point and also, arsonist really fits in. I got to stick with it and draft a deck that outspeeds my opponents
P2p2 Another arsonist, maybe I can pick up a grenade later in the draft.
P2p3 Okay, here is what I was hoping for. Having passed so many good white/blue/green in the first round, my opponents in front of me are now passing the good red/black. I would love to pick half the cards in this pick but I have to decide which one to take. I got some good early game, I could use some more creature at three or four mana. And guess what, gorehorn minotaurs really fit the spot perfectly. They should just about always be 5/5 for four mana.
P2p4 Hmmm, what to take now. Swarm is notably good but there is a nice gravedigger here too. I allready got one swarm, gravedigger
really is good and combo's well with the simulacrum and the swarm I allready have. I take digger
P2p5 O yeah, blood ogre, this really shows the people that are now in front of me are not playing red. A 3/3 first strike for 3 (it really should be
a 3/3 most of the time), I like that.
P2p6 I want speed. But which card is speedier? Hellhound which can pump or ghoul? I think my deck wants to curve out pretty sharply and probably don't have that much red mana floating so I pick the ghoul. This also leaves me some more black mana which will help with the consume spirit
P2p7 Taste of blood is actually pretty good in this deck as it enables bloodthirst for 1 mana.
P2p8 Swarm gets passed to here, thank you, ill take that.
P2p9 Solid 4/4 for 5 mana , stonebreaker giant
P2p10 O yes, goblin grenade, this might also end a game quickly.
P2p11 Distress, maybe not maindeck but good sideboard card.
P2p12 Hatedrafting really is not my style, but the cards I see passing by so late....ponder at this point, that really should not happen. But just to try and force the neighbour out of black, I pick mind rot.
P2p13 Wall of torches
P2p14 Flight
P2p15 Mountain

Ok, so sticking to a bloodthirst theme is starting to pay off. Got some good going, I could use some shock/incinerate/doom blade removal, so far it's a bit light in that department.

P3p1 Rather underwhelming unfortunately. However, act of treason can swing things my way in a hurry.
P3p2 O yeah mama, I get passed a sengir vampire which is another good card for my top end curve.
P3p3 Picking warstorm surge really would be a bad pick here in my opinion. It's too expensive at six mana. I want to be fast and most of my creatures are on the small side. Doom blade is really good and provides some needed removal (also , doom blade at pick 3? Could I have forced the person in front of me out of black, I sure hope so)
P3p4 A second fling might be needed
P3p5 O yes, some good choices again. But now to choose, vampire or fireslinger? I decide to take the fireslinger. It could grind out the last few points of damage in a stalemate and it provides me with a third goblin, which makes goblin grenade feasible
P3p6 Hmmm, do I need another tormented soul? It is a good bloodthirst enabler but I got quite a few first drops allready. It is unblockable though.
Drifting shade is a nice flyer which can pump, bit expensive at four though. I decide I to take the tormented soul , more unblockable damage.
P3p7 Duskhunter bat is an auto-include
P3p8 A darn, why didn't I take the shade, there is another soul here. However, I want to blast out as quick as I can and lightning elemental
is good at that. Let's see if I can catch my opponent with the pants down. I take elemental
P3p9 Taste of blood.
P3p10 Unsummon hatedrafted, I dont want to get speedbumped.
P3p11 Deathmark is good sideboard material
P3p12 Titanic growth hate-drafted. Green has the potential to outrace me, especially with a card like growth
P3p13 redirect is more valuable than a flight

Summary of picks:

Round 1:
Solemn Simulacrum
Volcanic Dragon
Duskhunter Bat
Tormented Soul
Consume Spirit
Devouring Swarm
Blood Seeker
Fling
Circle of Flame
Bloodrage Vampire
Hideous Visage
Arachnus Web
Pride Guardian
Llanowar Elves
Plains

Round 2:
Goblin Arsonist
Goblin Arsonist
Gorehorn Minotaurs
Gravedigger
Blood Ogre
Warpath Ghoul
Taste of Blood
Devouring Swarm
Bonebreaker Giant
Goblin Grenade
Distress
Mind Rot
Wall of Torches
Flight
Mountain

Round 3:
Act of Treason
Sengir Vampire
Doom Blade
Fling
Goblin Fireslinger
Tormented Soul
Duskhunter Bat
Lightning Elemental
Taste of Blood
Unsummon
Deathmark
Titanic Growth
Redirect
Demystify
Mountain
Round 1:
Solemn Simulacrum - obvious first pick, imo
Volcanic Dragon - tough choices here, but this card can win games
Stormfront Pegasus - hmm, maybe white/red flyers?
Pacifism - nice white control for w/r idea
Assault Griffin - yep yep
Dungrove Elder - oh ... well then ... changing plans to mono green
Garruk's Companion - seems to reward that choice
Brindle Boar - still going strong on green
Titanic Growth - and still
Bloodrage Vampire - maybe g/b aggro?
Lure - this card wins games
Arachnus Web - nice control
Gladecover Scout - mono green all the way
Llanowar Elves - and how
Plains

Round 2:
Jade Mage - tough picks here, i picked the mage because she rewards you for being mana-swamped
Arachnus Web - more control
Garruk's Companion - i love these guys
Stampeding Rhino - some more nice trample
Greater Basilisk - love the deathtouch - glad i took the mage earlier
Giant Spider - some flying defense
Stave Off - i took some white earlier, maybe i'll splash
Lifelink - more white splash
Trollhide - i love this card
Reclaim - can be handy for webs / etc
Distress - i hate black making me discard, so i'm stealing this
Ponder - op blue card, imo
Brink of Disaster - taking more pain away from black
Flight - meh
Mountain

Round 3:
Stingerfling Spider - oooh, love this guy, great flying defense
Rampant Growth - a little ramp never hurts
Crown of Empires - tough choices here, but i'm going for the control card, since green doesn't get much
Titanic Growth - i like having green tricks up my sleeve, especially with all those garruk companions
Sacred Wolf - hexproof is nice
Stampeding Rhino - trample is nicer
Gladecover Scout - i've won games with these guys out early
Llanowar Elves - more ramp / weenie
Fog - always nice to surprise your opponent with a fog in draft
Lifelink - more white splash flavor
Divine Favor - and again
Fling - stealing this from red's toolkit
Redirect - surprised this made it around, but i'll take it
Demystify - this card is meh, but decent sideboard against heavy enchant control white/blue etc
Mountain

In the end, I think I did enough to get the G/w deck going. From white I'd keep the pegasus, lifelinks, paci, divine favor, and stave off. Nothing takes more than one W mana, so I shouldn't have much of a problem playing them with a handful of plains. Green has the dungrove, lots of trample, a grip of titanic growths, a small amount of ramp, and at least a couple spiders for some flyer protection (I would have taken a plummet too if I'd seen one). The webs and paci (and crown) make for a decent amount of control considering my main color is green. I think this deck would do pretty well.
Round 1:
Solemn Simulacrum
Volcanic Dragon
Blood Ogre
Tormented Soul
Consume Spirit
Goblin Fireslinger
Blood Seeker
Fling
Titanic Growth
Blood Seeker
Hideous Visage
Arachnus Web
Pride Guardian
Llanowar Elves
Plains

Round 2:
Child of Night
Goblin Piker
Gorehorn Minotaurs
Devouring Swarm
Blood Ogre
Doom Blade
Sorin's Thirst
Devouring Swarm
Goblin Arsonist
Goblin Grenade
Distress
Mind Rot
Wall of Torches
Flight
Mountain

Round 3:
Stingerfling Spider
Sengir Vampire
Doom Blade
Fling
Goblin Fireslinger
Tormented Soul
Goblin Tunneler
Tormented Soul
Pride Guardian
Lifelink
Deathmark
Griffin Rider
Flight
Demystify
Mountain

I guess green looked pretty strong there, and with some fun factored in by the lures and basilisks. But third pick blood orge is pretty good so I started to go bloodthirst. Ended up with too many 1 drops and not enough mid range, but I think it would work.

Deck:
Tormented Soul x3
Goblin Fireslinger x2
Goblin Arsonist
Blood Seeker x2
Child of Night
Goblin Piker
Blood Ogre x2
Devouring Swarm x2
Gorehorn Minotaurs
Sengir Vampire
Volcanic Dragon

Doom Blade x2
Sorin's Thirst
Goblin Grenade
Fling x2

Ended up not even playing the Solemn, but with 5 cards that ping through for one damage each turn and then the swarms + flings I think I should be able to ping 'em down and then finish them off.
Grow old or die trying.
I'm pretty content with the deck I ended up with, though I would have liked another Trollhide and hated passing the Reassembling Skeleton.

Round 1:Solemn Simulacrum - Obvious pick is obvious.  No color commitment, great value.
Thran Golem - This kept me open and is a potential bomb depending on the rest of the picks.
Duskhunter Bat - I strongly considered Buried Ruin and Blood Ogre, but I thought the Ruin would wheel and I love black in this format.
Arachnus Web - Pacifism is probably the better pick here, but you really have to force white early to get a good deck in M12.
Consume Spirit - Locked into Black with this one is fine by me.
Dungrove Elder - Strong signal that noone wants green.
Garruk's Companion - I expected to see more naturalize later - probably not the right pick.
Brindle Boar
Brindle Boar
Bloodrage Vampire
Hideous Visage
Tormented Soul
Gladecover Scout
Goblin Grenade
Plains

Round 2:Jade Mage - These are so undervalued right now.  Windmill slam it whenever you see it.
Arachnus Web - Easily the best card in the pack.
Duskhunter Bat - Sutured Ghoul is the obvious pick here, but M12 limited is often over before anyone gets up to 7 mana.
Gravedigger - I prefer card advantage over the flyer.
Brink of Disaster - IRL I would have taken the land, this pack is bad for me.
Doom Blade - What a tough choice, might have taken the skeleton if I'd known more removal would go so late.
Sorin's Thirst - Great to see this card so late.
Devouring Swarm
Trollhide - I was looking for one of these for my Thran Golem.
Reclaim
Zombie Infestation
Mind Rot
Levitation
Flight
Mountain

Round 3:Stingerfling Spider - Almost always good value and nothing else worth taking anyway.
Sengir Vampire - Gotta love 4/4 Flyers for 5.
Doom Blade - From here on out the picks are pretty obvious.
Lurking Crocodile
Sacred Wolf
Thran Golem
Duskhunter Bat
Tormented Soul
Smallpox
Unsummon
Lurking Crocodile
Bountiful Harvest
Redirect
Demystify
Mountain
Round 1:
Pick1 :Solemn Simulacrum - I dont really think there were real first picks in this pack. Goblin Fireslinger is really good on bloodthirst decks, but i dont feel like committing into an archetype just yet.

Pick 2: Volcanic Dragon - A decision was made between a griffin and a dragon. Targaryen forever!

Pick 3: Blood Ogre - Ok, the choices here were between pegasus, ogre and the duskbat. The pegasus is cool, but i don't really like the way boros works on this format. I think the ogre is one of the best creatures in red (i only like gorehorn minotaurs more), so i stick with the on-color pack.

Pick 4: Chasm Drake - DAaayum! It's a Pacifism! Problem is i dont really like white red as an archetype. Tempo Blue-Red is much better when you can pull it off, and i'm hoping i can pull it off! It's time to commit!

Pick 5: Divination - Nothing to say here

Pick 6: Aether Adept - Tough choice between the bloodthirst enabler, the hexproof flier and the adept. The adept is way better for this archetype, though.

Pick 7: Divination
Pick 8, 9: Fling, Coral Merfolk - The ponder looks like a good choice, but i need some 2 drops

Last Picks: Unsummon, Dragon's Claw, Cancel, Gladecover Scout, Llanowar Elves, Plains

Round 2:
Pick 1: Goblin Arsonist - Chasm Drake is a better card, and i might regret this pick later on, but in order to draft tempo-based UR i'm gonna need some solid one drops. This is far from solid, but it's better than nothing.

Pick 2: Frost Breath - This card is one of the most important ones on this archetype. I'm serious! it is!

Pick 3: Gorehorn Minotaurs - WoW! Time to say goodbye to a handful of good cards! I hate it when options come to this... but the minotaurs are a bomb, and one of the best common creatures in the set!

Pick 4: Azure Mage - Nothing in this pack even compares to this >.<

Pick 5: Blood Ogre - Another tough call! Merfolk looter wins games on the long run... but i don't value him that high on this archetype. Skywinder Drake is awesome too, but the ogre is a personal favorite.

Pick 6: Fiery Hellhound - No real options here, and the hellhound is a good card.

Pick 7: Alluring Siren - This card isnt a beast, but the way a see it, it forces the opponent to race against you. I plan to run faster.

Pick 8: Goblin Fireslinger - Yay! Seems that no one is drafting red :D

Pick 9: Reverberate - Im not thrilled but there arent any on color cards left anyway

Pick 10: Goblin Tunneler - I need two drops! Piker hits  harder but tunneler combos with the hellhound i got for free, and i already have a fling! Ccccccombo! (the grenade is good too but i dont have a lot of goblins...)

Pick 11 - 12: Turn to Frog,Ponder

Pick 13: Levitation - Yay! This might make it main deck!

Pick 14-15: Flight, Mountain

Round 3:
Pick 1: Goblin Piker - Time to pick a two drop... Im not sure about this, Act of treason is sexy too!. Crown of Empires is a great card but it doesnt help with our "Bash their brains in" plan.

Pick 2: Unsummon - Fling is good too, but unsummon is cheapest. This pick might be a mistake, but it may not matter, i dont feel like playing more than one fling anyway.

Pick 3: Skywinder Drake Daayum! Warstorm Surge is awesome! It's too expensive though, and im lacking a little bit of evasion on this deck. Doomblade is an option, and a solid one! But i dont like splashing on beatdown strategies. I prefer consistence.

Pick 4: Skywinder Drake Easy pick here.

Pick 5: Phantasmal Bear The fire slinger is good, but the bear excels on this archetype

Pick 6: Phantasmal Bear Wat? I must be mad! I'm letting that shock go away!!... but the bear is too good... I just hope that no one shocks him Oh, I'd love the irony!

Pick 7: Ice Cage. Im removal light, and the cage isnt that bad! Goblin tunneler is fine too, but i like the ammount of 2 drops i have right
now.

Pick 8: Lightning Elemental Subpar on most decks, he has a chance on decks like this

Pick 9: Stonehorn Dignitary - meh, i dont want him played against me and there are no other on color cards

Pick 10-15: Alluring Siren,Wall of Torches,Fling,Redirect,Demystify,Mountain   - Unexiting last picks!

Time for deckbuilding!
Decklist: (x41)

Creatures (x17):                                                     Spells: (x7)
1 mana (x4)                                                            Unsummonx2
Phantasmal Bear x2                            Frost Breathx1
Goblin Fireslinger x1                            Divinationx2
Goblin Arsonist x1                               Reverberatex1
2 mana (x4)                                                            Levitationx1
Azure Mage x1
Alluring Siren x1
Coral Merfolk x1                                  Lands (x17)
Goblin Piker x1                                    Island x10
3 mana (x5)                                                            Mountain x7
Blood Ogrex2
Aether Adeptx1
Skywinder Drake x2
4 mana (x2)
Gorehorn Minotaursx1
Lightning Elemental x1
5 mana (x1)
Chasm Drake x1
6 mana (x1)
Volcanic Dragon x1

In the end, the Solemn Simulacrum (my first pick) didn't make it main deck. Nor my fling + goblin tunneler + Fiery hellhound combo. I have creatures and spells i like more. Reverberate plays well with all my spells, and levitation is a card that can play as a finisher in case the opponent stalls.

I could have played with 16 lands and one less mountain but i dont like taking risks and i dont like what else to cut.

Feel free to comment! I mean, even a single comment will make my effort worthwhile lawl.
Round 1:
Solemn Simulacrum
Rusted Sentinel
Blood Ogre
Tormented Soul
Assault Griffin
Goblin Fireslinger
Divination
Griffin Rider
Griffin Rider
Bloodrage Vampire
Fog
Arachnus Web
Pride Guardian
Goblin Grenade
Plains

Round 2:
Serra Angel
Birds of Paradise
Duskhunter Bat
Gravedigger
Stormfront Pegasus
Doom Blade
Sorin's Thirst
Goblin Fireslinger
Goblin Arsonist
Goblin Arsonist
Distress
Ponder
Brink of Disaster
Flight
Mountain

Round 3:
Act of Treason
Sengir Vampire
Doom Blade
Fling
Bloodrage Vampire
Tormented Soul
Goblin Tunneler
Tormented Soul
Reclaim
Unsummon
Lurking Crocodile
Griffin Rider
Redirect
Plains
Mountain

I think the first pick is  a must be here. I remembered that the booster at pick 2 was very bad and I didn't want to go into a colour. Therefore I picked the Sentinel over the Golem because I think the Sentinel is the far more solid creature. During the draft I was unsure between W B and R but after getting the Doom Blades and Sorins Thirst B was locked. If I would have to create a deck out of this I would go for B/R AggroBloodthirst because there are some nice enablers and some nice Bloodthirst creatures.
Decided to try to force R/B bloodthirst aggro after the first 3 picks.  Pack 1 was hard, I know the solemn is good but I just don't know. 

Round 1:
Solemn Simulacrum Timmy had a real hard time passing the wurm here, but this pack was giving me mixed signals, I wasn't sure what to pick.  That fireslinger is really tempting because I know how fast bloodthirst can be and the arachnus web is removal.  In the end I chose the simulacrum 1) because it's worth $10+ and 2) b/c it doesn't commit me to a color. 
Volcanic Dragon Thran golem is a trap.  It's only good if you get enough enchantments to make it worth while and we don't know what's going on here.  The dragon is a solid finisher and lines up with the bloodthirst I was thinking of earlier with the slinger.
Blood Ogre This guy is a house...I also see the bat, but decide I like a 3/3 first striker for 3 better.
Tormented Soul B-b-b-b-bloodthirst enabler!
Consume Spirit Finisher, and really the only good thing in my colors.
Goblin Grenade This was a mistake, I meant to take the slinger.  The grenades tend to table since they require a strong tribal component to work anyway.
Blood Seeker Only R/B card here, but I'm perfectly fine with that.  This guy just keeps on pecking away at the opponent's lifepoints.
Fling Reach.
Titanic Growth  Hate draft, I don't need the circle of flames.
Blood Seeker I don't like the bloodrage vampire so I go for the whittler.
Lure I don't need hideous visage, lure is something I don't want to see on the other side of the table though.  Fog would have been just as legit a pick...maybe moreso.
Arachnus Web No on-colors, hate draft.
Pride Guardian don't care.
Llanowar Elves don't care.
Plains don't care.

Round 2:
Goblin Arsonist  To be honest I didn't even look at the off color cards here the first time through.  Serra, the mantle, and the lawkeeper are incredible cards, but I need my fast game and the arsonist is awesome for that.
Goblin Arsonist Still not enough goblins for that grenade.  Arsonist is solid.
Gorehorn Minotaurs Aggressive bomb.
Gravedigger Gets back my aggressive bomb.
Blood Ogre Aggro!
Doom Blade WTF??! Yoink!
Sorin's Thirst Good/decent black removal.
Devouring Swarm Only thing here, not that it's bad mind you.
Disentomb It was either this or the reverb.  reverb is difficult because it requires something else relevent in your hand.  I don't have enough cheap bomby sorcs to make it worthwhile and I am a creature based strategy so getting them back is always good.
Goblin Piker Just padding my creature count.  I already have one grenade (accidentally mind you), I don't need another at this point.  Thought about hating the Ice cage, decided I wanted the creature more.
Distress Hand disruption is alright. Better than zombie infestation anyway.  and as for the turn to frog...a lot of my guys are 1/1 anyway.
Mind Rot This or hate the ponder.  I probably should have hated the ponder, I doubt' I'll be playing this main deck.
Wall of Torches Solid early defense, takes something with it.
Flight don't care.
Mountain don't care.

Round 3:
Crown of Empires I laugh at the worldslayer.  I considered the act of treason and in hindsight I probably should have taken it.  This is a very good control card, but control I am not.  It does, however, allow me to sneak in more damage.  Wait...I completely missed seeing the smallpox here, that's what I should take.
Sengir Vampire Bomb.
Doom Blade Again WTF??! (especially considering the guy on my right turns out to be R/B) Yoink!
Fling More reach...probably won't play both though.
Blood Seeker Only thing good for me here. (upon re-drafting with desired changes got a fireslinger here instead)
Act of Treason I have enough little guys by this point (tormented soul), time to go for the W.  This card can really screw up combat.
Goblin Tunneler It was either this or the ice cage....probably should have taken the ice cage, but another creature is nice.
Tormented Soul I don't like lightning elemental.  Too fragile for a creature.  I guess I should really think of it as a burn spell where my opponent picks the target (that rebounds if the choose to have it target themselves)...still meh.
Smallpox Only good thing here...why is it still here?
Unsummon It was either this or alluring siren.  either way really.  Unsummon is more likely to be played though.
Wall of Torches Deathmark is too restrictive, sure let's have another 4-power defender.
Negate Hate drafted.  Nothing for me here.
Redirect sure why not.
Demystifydon't care.
Mountaindon't care.

there a lot of good R and B going around.  Gorehorns, fireball, incinerate, sorin, sorin's vengeance. vampire outcasts, FLAMEBLAST DRAGON (timmy sad he did not get), (my doom blades)...  The packs were surprisingly lean, but very powerful for R/B which allowed me an unusually large amount of hate draft.

Creatures (16)

Non-Creatures (8)
[deck]
1x Disentomb
1x Crown of Empires
1x Fling
2x Doom blade
1x Sorin's Thirst
1x Consume spirit
1x Act of Treason
[/deck]

Lands (16)
[deck]
8x Mountain
8x Swamp
[/deck]

Redraft fixing my mistakes:

Creatures (16)
[deck]
2x Tormented Soul
2x Goblin Fireslinger
2x Goblin Arsonist
2x Blood Seeker
2x Blood Ogre
1x Devouring Swarm
1x Gorehorn Minotaurs
1x Gravedigger
1x Solemn Simulacrum
1x Sengir Vampire
1x Volcanic Dragon
[/deck]

Huh....just realized...only got 3 bloodthirst creatures.  Oh well, the rest is still fast.

Non-Creatures (8)
[deck]
1x Disentomb
1x Fling
2x Doom Blade
1x Smallpox
1x Consume Spirit
1x Act of Treason
1x Hideous Visage
[/deck]

Land (16)
[deck]
8x Mountain
8x Swamp
[/deck]

I'd be more than happy with either of these two drafts.

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

Round 1:
Solemn Simulacrum
Stonehorn Dignitary
Buried Ruin
Pacifism
Pride Guardian
Aether Adept
Divination
Negate
Ponder
Unsummon
Dragon's Claw
Cancel
Demystify
Llanowar Elves
Plains

Round 2:
Gideon's Lawkeeper
Stonehorn Dignitary
Aether Adept
Gideon's Lawkeeper
Stave Off
Merfolk Looter
Mana Leak
Aven Fleetwing
Spirit Mantle
Frost Breath
Siege Mastodon
Ponder
Levitation
Flight
Mountain

Round 3:
Stonehorn Dignitary
Divination
Crown of Empires
Flashfreeze
Cudgel Troll
Aether Adept
Ice Cage
Unsummon
Pride Guardian
Unsummon
Pride Guardian
Fling
Redirect
Demystify
Mountain

deck-
1 solemn
3 aether adept
3 stonehorn dignitary
2 lawkeeper
1 crown of empires
1 pacifism
1 ice cage
1 levitation
2 divination
1 ponder
1 looter
2 unsummon
1 cancel
1 aven fleetwing
1 seige mastodon
1 frost breath

Round 1:

Solemn Simulacrum

Thran Golem

Buried Ruin

Pacifism

Assault Griffin

Dungrove Elder

Garruk's Companion

Rampant Growth

Brindle Boar

Unsummon

Fog

Arachnus Web

Gladecover Scout

Llanowar Elves

Plains

Round 2:

Serra Angel

Birds of Paradise

Trollhide

Gideon's Lawkeeper

Stormfront Pegasus

Llanowar Elves

Stave Off

Mesa Enchantress

Trollhide

Reclaim

Turn to Frog

Ponder

Stave Off

Flight

Mountain

Round 3:

Stingerfling Spider

Rampant Growth

Divine Favor

Elite Vanguard

Auramancer

Thran Golem

Gladecover Scout

Spirit Mantle

Fog

Lifelink

Pride Guardian

Negate

Redirect

Demystify

Mountain

Lands 17

Buried Ruin

8 Forests

8 Plains

Creatures 15

Assault Griffin

Auramancer

Bird of Paradise

Dungrove Elder

Garruk’s Companion

Gideon’s Lawkeeper

2 Llanowar Elves

Mesa Enchantress

Serra Angel

Solemn Simulacrum

Stingerfling Spider

Stormfront Pegasus

2 Thran Golem

Spells 8

Arachnus Web

Divine Favor

Pacifism

2 Rampant Growth

Spirit Mantle

2 Trollhide

W/G Aura deck

Dungrove Elder isn’t as optimized as it could be, but combined with Thran Golems, makes fro an excellent target with my enchantments. Sideboard: I’ve got much cheaper gladecover scouts for the same purpose against faster decks, and an elite vanguard to side in. Brindle Boar and 2 Fogs can also help me stymie faster decks early on siding in.

Pacifism/Arachnus Web as removal with Gideon’s Lawkeeper as tap lockdown. Stingerfling spider is plummet and a blocker. I made sure it says may, as I don’t want it taking down our own Serra.

I’ve got 6 enchantments that can get me cards from Mesa Enchantress, and Auramacer to get one back. Reclaim can also help with this after siding.

Mana should be excellent with three mana sources in BoP and Llaowars, followed up by Turn 2 Rampant Growths. Could have 5 mana available by Turn 3 in some instances. And Solemn too. Buried Ruin can get back the Thran Golems or Solemn.

Evasion is actually pretty good, 3 flyers in the Pegasus, Griffin, and Serra. The two Thran Golems get evasion if enchanted. Anything enchanted by Spirit Mantle becomes unblockable or a great blocker, especially Dungrove Elder, because every forest grows it larger.  Garruk’s Companion adds in Trample.

Another sneaky thing to do would be to add in some islands and take advantage of the ponder, unsummon, turn to frog, and negate all of which are surprisingly late picks.
I was probably one of the first people to acually do this draft (if you read my post in last week's draft I did that draft, started to write up my response and reloaded the draft to check what was available in each pack because I have a horrible memory and saw it was a new draft and did that right after I finished my post) and decided early on that I wanted a red deck of some sort.

Round 1:
Lightning Elemental Probably should have taken Fireslinger over this but I was always a fan of this card.
Volcanic Dragon  Nice 4/4 Flying Haste Fattie, Also liked War Paint and Act of Treason.
Blood Ogre   Not a hard choice, goblin seems a bad 3rd pick.
Pacifism Round 4 Pacifism?  Is R/W viable? Let's find out.
Assault Griffin Seemed the right choice at the time.
Goblin Fireslinger  Well I'm regreting my first pick a little less now, no goblins yet so a Goblin Grenade seems pointless.
Lifelink  Angel's Mercy seems bad and I don't like hate drafting much so maybe it will be usefull.
Fling I almost take Griffin Rider, but with one Griffin it seems silly, so I take a removal.
Griffin Rider  And get another Rider, well if they really want me to take one, Circle of Flame doesn't seem terribly good.
Stonehorn Dignitary On Color card.
Dragon's Claw  I am playing Red, prolly should have hate drafted something.
Cancel Hate draft.
Pride Guardian
Llanowar Elves
Plains

Round 2:
Serra Angel  This was a tough pack for me.  4/4 Giant, 3/5 Elephant, Gideon's can be useful, guess I'll go for a Serra Angel though.
Goblin Grenade 3 Goblins and a Grenade, prolly should have taken a Goblin or the Stonehorn Dignitary, but I take this and hope goblins wheel back around.
Gorehorn Minotaurs  3/3 that could potentially be a 5/5, sure why not.
Bonebreaker Giant   Another Fattie I guess, I never did worry about mana curves like I should.
Blood Ogre  Well another bloodthirst card, might be useful if I have my fireslinger out I guess. Didnt like Tectonic Rift or Wall of Torches, and probably should have taken a Stave Off.
Fiery Hellhound  I like pumping, Benalish Veteran was probably better.
Stave Off  Well then I guess I'm not so sad about the one I missed earlier, and as much as I like pumping, didnt take Firebreathing
Lifelink  If I had more enchantments I'd take the Mesa Enchantress, instead I take another Lifelink.
Goblin Arsonist  Looks like goblins are wheeling around, I take this over the Siege Mastodon because I realize I have few low cast creatures.
Goblin Tunneler   Another goblin wheels around, i like the ability more then the Goblin Piker
Distress Hate draft since Angel's Mercy doesn't look good.
Griffin Rider  Well Griffin Rider is a 2 drop, maybe hope for more Griffin's in pack 3.
Wall of Torches
Flight
Mountain

Round 3:
Act of Treason Couple good cards, Stonehorn, Mighty Leap, Crown of Empires, I decide to go Treason.
Manalith  This was probablly the wrong choice, but I figure maybe splash something? Veteran or Fling are better choices.
Doom Blade  So for choosing the option to splash I get a Doomblade? Guess I take it, really should have taken Veteran last pick and Griffin here.
Griffin Rider  Well guess I take a Creature heee and hope more griffins show up.
Goblin Fireslinger Goblin Grenade sac'er + Bloodthirst Enabler, sure why not.
Shock  My first Shock?  Someone is drafting a Red Burn it seems.
Goblin Tunneler Goblin
Griffin Sentinel  Much as I like that Elemental, I got 3 Riders and 1 Grifin, gotta take the Griffin
Goblin Piker Another Goblin
Lifelink 
Divine Favor Divine Favor seems slightly more useful.
Fling
Flight
Demystify
Mountain

All in all I think it went ok, I didnt make a very good plan and did some probably really bad picks, seems almost everyone took the same first pick but I knew what I wanted to start and went for it.
My Decks; Green/White Golem - SE Black Infect - SE Red Goblins- E White Human - SE White Myr - SE Black/Red Bloodthirst Sheoldred - SE [S = Standard Ready ] [E = Extended Ready ]
Round 1:
Solemn Simulacrum he's great, keeps us open
Volcanic Dragon he's powerful, not much else to take
Blood Ogre taking ogre over pegasus since it keeps us in red
Pacifism no red; 4th pick pacifism it is. I dont know if r/w is good?
Assault Griffin he's good and keeps us in white
Goblin Fireslinger yikes... late elder&adept; I dont want to switch again after taking 2 white cards though.
Divination hm no red&no white... green&blue seem open. I take divination thinking of maybe splashing down the road.
Fling the green keeps coming with an 8th pick rampant growth. I take fling since its red and removal
Circle of Flame still more green. I take circle for the sideboard
Unsummon v. late blue cards.
Lure hate on lure
Arachnus Web wow web AND cancel? web is single G so I take that
Pride Guardian
Llanowar Elves 14th pick elves... might be time to re-evaluate my 2 white picks.
Plains

At this point I have only 2 white cards & Im seeing lots of green & blue...
Round 2:
Jade Mage nice stuff in this pack: serra, lawkeeper... I go insane and pick the jade lady (crossing my fingers)
Birds of Paradise I gamble on birds for white fixing hoping I wheel 2nd web or a goblin
Gorehorn Minotaurs slamming the sweet minotaurs
Stampeding Rhino  rhino edges out giant. Pretty much R/G at this point.
Blood Ogre another bloodthirst ogre
Giant Spider white starting to come back around? vet & pegasus. spider is a solid dude though
Lurking Crocodile late stave off
Goblin Fireslinger 2nd bloodthirst enabler
Trollhide late hide.. dont mind if I do
Goblin Tunneler 3 gobs and a grenade lol. take tunneler for bloodthirst
Lightning Elemental bleh
Manic Vandal nice sideboard guy
Brink of Disaster
Flight
Mountain

Unsurprisingly didnt get web back... Im hurting for removal&fixing still hoping to jam pacifism in there somehow.
Round 3:
Stingerfling Spider pretty shallow pack except for our awesome spider :D
Rampant Growth theres my fixing.. growth is a bit cheaper than manalith so I take that
Warstorm Surge Im low on bombs&removal so I gamble on surge even though Ive never played it before!
Titanic Growth growth over croc.. not sure if right call. azure mage ;_;
Cudgel Troll he edges the other stuff here
Jace, Memory Adept okay Im going to chalk this up to bots being dumb, lol. other pick is rhino
Goblin Tunneler gogo bloodthirst
Llanowar Elves I like mantle but Im going to take the acceleration here since mantle doesnt save us from those dreaded fliers anyways
Reclaim maybe get solemn or something back? prob not going to play this though
Fling another fling why not
Lurking Crocodile
Fling
Redirect
Demystify
Mountain

Final notes
I think going R/G or R/U is the right choice since white was not coming in at all? Im iffy on R/W to start with... Only 1 bot was blue in my draft !
I got no red burn...   Going straight R/G with no pacifism splash would be ok too. I might have taken web over birds of paradise in that case.
Lastly, we got a solemn and a jace! Im rich son! xD