Best Weapon for Heavy Thrown?

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm currently playing an Elven Seeker, I think we started 6th level or so and I decided to get a little creative and go with a thrown Farbond Falchion, the damage is great and I love the look, but longterm I think I need a better solution.

I want to go with a big 'ol weapon to toss around the battlefield. I'm currently using Valenar Weapon Training to get proficiency and the extra damage, but when I hit 10, I can swap a few things out if need be. Any thoughts or suggestions of what feats I should be looking at to move to more useful thrown weapon?
Dwarven Thrower Executioner's Axe.
Is Dwarven Thrower the enchantment? I'm trying to avoid having to use my enchantment slot to get the heavy thrown property, but I'm open to it if I need to be.
You mean Dwarven Thrower Gouge, right?

Without enchantments?

Cahulaks or Drow Long Knife.  Maybe Tratnyr.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Ran through the Exe axe, 1d12(brutal 2) +10 damage, My Falchion goes 2d4 +12 (Valenar Weapon Training). I think it comes out to 17.5 v 17 damage, and my Falchion would be more accurate plus the brutal 2 of the Exe axe makes the extra little bonus from Axe proficiency less potent making Heavy Blade expertise a better choice.

I think I'll keep playing around with some things. Sadly my Seeker is one of the most consistent sources of damage at our table so I am loathe to give that up for a smaller weapon like the DLK.
Wait, you're throwing your falchion? How?
the tratnyr is my favorite heavy thrown weapon. It's a one-handed 1d8 prof 2 heavy thrown, versatile, spear, range 10/20.
My Works
My House Rules Cryptic Commander: a Tiefling Wizard|Warlord - Arcane Wayfarer - Planeshaper that focuses on controlling every creature in an encounter. Feyknight: A Half-Elf Knight - Gladiator Champion - Marshall of Letherna build that uses Eldritch Strike and the White Lotus Riposte feats to create a decent catch-22 with his mark aura. Novamancer: a Wizard/Swordmage - Malec-Keth Janissary - Radiant One that specializes in area damage, somewhat item dependent but is capable of massive damage. the Epic Crit-Fisher: Avenger/Ranger-PMC-Eternal Seeker with a 2,560 damage crit-fishing nova. Eldritch Slayer: A Slayer - Kulkor - Destined Scion that uses a similar trick to the Knight, combined with Kulkor for some decent DPR. Polearm Seeker|Fighter: A Seeker|Fighter/Psion - Kensei - Destined Scion build that uses Polearm Momentum to not be super bad. Generic Runepriest: A generic type Runepriest/Fighter - Hammer of Vengeance - Destined Scion
One does not
111819409 wrote:
99856009 wrote:
by RAW, you can't horse into the forge of the dawn titan.

...Couldn't resist.

Usually you will want to go with throwing a gouge. Spearaxe so you can add wpn training, and if you really want, axe expertise. You have to use your magic property to do it, though.
Ran through the Exe axe, 1d12(brutal 2) +10 damage, My Falchion goes 2d4 +12 (Valenar Weapon Training). I think it comes out to 17.5 v 17 damage, and my Falchion would be more accurate plus the brutal 2 of the Exe axe makes the extra little bonus from Axe proficiency less potent making Heavy Blade expertise a better choice.

I think I'll keep playing around with some things. Sadly my Seeker is one of the most consistent sources of damage at our table so I am loathe to give that up for a smaller weapon like the DLK.

Depending on what else your adding.  Gauntlet's of brutality work nicely on 2d4.  Otherwise, some enchantments can give you more then you loose.

For instance, a battlefury drow longblade (1d8 +1/2/3d6) > hungry gouge.  (at least till you add spear feats).
Or frost cheese.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Depending on what else your adding.  Gauntlet's of brutality work nicely on 2d4.  Otherwise, some enchantments can give you more then you loose.

For instance, a battlefury drow longblade (1d8 +1/2/3d6) > hungry gouge.  (at least till you add spear feats).
Or frost cheese.

What is a "battlefury drow longblade"?

I assume you mean drow long knife...

But I'm not sure if you mean Battlecrazed or Blood Fury -- maybe its an infusion of both getting both benefits?  
A Hungry Spear gouge (or greatspear) gives the best range increment, as well as a controllery encounter power.  A Dwarven Thrower gouge (or executioner axe or mordenkrad) has the next best range and a daily minor damage bump.  

I seem to recall a couple of new throwable weapon enchantments in Mordenkainen's Magnificent Emporium, but none of the new superior weapons would be very worthwhile.

Cahulaks are a heavy thrown flail, so you could get in on prone shenanigans with the new Flail Expertise feat, if you can come up with powers that slide. 
Mm, with the flail buffs, cahulaks actually becomes a reasonably attractive prospect for a lot of things.  2HW, double weapon, big dice, reach, throwable... It might be viable on a mixed-range ranger.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
could also get spiked chain training and take farbond spellblade enchant :p  2d4 light blade heavy thrown with reach.  I'm using that on my cleric/ranger with throw and stab + righteous brand + skill domain.  It's pretty sweet.
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

Sign In to post comments