09/16/2011 TWTW: "Reanimation Domination"

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's The Week That Was, which goes live Friday morning on magicthegathering.com.

Unburial Rites just made the new Innastrad set worth buying! I know, I know, it's only an uncommon. But here is why the card looks so good to me.

I would say, in my opinion of course, that this card will be tier one. I mean reanimator has been absent in the Standard format since Makeshift Mannequin was at the top of it's game. If you think about it R&D seems to be creating creatures that have "built-in" old card abilities. Off the top of my head you have Rune-Scarred Demon (Demonic Tutor) and Sphinx of Uthuun (Fact or Fiction). In addition you have other powerful creatures such as Sheoldred, Whispering One and Elesh Norn, Grand Celobite. Don't even get me started with the Jin-Getaxias, Core Augur shenanigans! Also as Brian has pointed out in the article already, there are plunty of new ways to get your Demons, Praetors, and other scary baddies into the graveyard. I would venture to say that everyone, once they have read this article, will be searching the Gatherer for the old "comes into play" or "enters play" creatures to complement this card as well.                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

Come to think of it......WBG Birthing Pod anyone? Happy hunting on this one folks.
Something not specifiied in the double-faced rules, but seems implied due to Civilized Scholar, is whether or not transforming untaps the creature. Please clarify this in the rules (or point out what my blind eyes missed).  I should point out that in the past, unless specifically stated/ruled otherwise, the rule has been that cards are left in the state they are in...

Specifically speaking, Civilized Scholar only transforms when it's ability (involving tapping it) is activated. Yet it transforms right back if it doesn't attack that turn. If transforming a creature doesn't cause it to untap, this creature wouldn't get the chance to attack (unless 1 of very few combos were used).

Am I missing something? 
If you use and transform Civilized Scholar before attacking (and then attack with it, of course), you get to keep it transformed. Also, you can do it on your opponent's turn, which allows you to use the 5/1 form as a blocker then or an attacker on your next turn.

There's nothing on the cards that say anything about transforming causing untapping, so they don't untap when they transform.

Unburial Rites looks pretty spiffy. A lot of the big finishers/bombs cost 6 or 7, so 5-and-then-4 seems a reasonable way to do it.
Something not specifiied in the double-faced rules, but seems implied due to Civilized Scholar, is whether or not transforming untaps the creature. Please clarify this in the rules (or point out what my blind eyes missed).  I should point out that in the past, unless specifically stated/ruled otherwise, the rule has been that cards are left in the state they are in...

Specifically speaking, Civilized Scholar only transforms when it's ability (involving tapping it) is activated. Yet it transforms right back if it doesn't attack that turn. If transforming a creature doesn't cause it to untap, this creature wouldn't get the chance to attack (unless 1 of very few combos were used).

Am I missing something? 

What you're missing is that the card untaps itself right before transforming. Read it again.

" Draw a card, then discard a card. If a creature card is discarded this way, untap Civilized Scholar, then transform it."
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c6f9e416e5e0e1f0a1e5c42b0c7b3e88.jpg?v=90000)
I wish it didn't just target your graveyard. Then we'd have a strictly better Rise from the Grave. I could live with that in a competitive graveyard format. People would be milling each other to steal their guys and beat them down with their own titans. That sounds awesome.
"Catch!"
Esper reanimator is the deck I'm making.  Dropping any of the 3 most ridiculous praetors on the board (one of which gets you back the others!) plus being in colors to allow us access to premium countermagic and removal spells lets us stave off aggro while milling ourselves until we get exactly what we need in the graveyard.
Sign In to post comments