Hexproof

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey i´m new in the magic world, and som my q are newbie!
My frind got the Dungrove Elder in his deck and what the F***, what can i do when this card is played to get rid of it?
I Know that it can countered when it´s getting played but after it gets on the table, are the only way to block it out ore get it to block out? it is frustrating when the creature is grouing for eatch forest getting played!
I dont know if i understand all the espects of HEXPROOF thats whay i ask this Q!?

You can do anything that doesn't target it. This includes non-targeting damage effects such as Pyroclasm or Earthquake, or combat damage from your own creatures, "board wipes" such as Day of Judgment or Black Sun's Zenith, or you might force your opponent to sacrifice it, if it's his only creature, with effects like Geth's Verdict or Phyrexian Obliterator. If your opponent plays a removal card, you can redirect that spell to target his own Dungrove Elder, using spells like Redirect, because HIS spells can target it, even though yours can't.

Standard Answer to all 5E rules questions: "Ask your DM."

Death Touch also deals with it. The sucker doesn't fly, use flyers. Ways exist to repeatable chump block him.

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

Also, some cards like Geth's verdict target the player and not the creature. If the Dungrove elder is his only creature, he has to sacrifice it!
M:tG Rules Adviser
Can i then cast an enchanment on it like Pacifism? And can i enchant an Illusion like Phantasmal Dragon with fx Angelic Destiny ore Spirit Mantle??
Can i then cast an enchanment on it like Pacifism?

No, because casting an Aura spell targets the creature the Aura will enchant.

And can i enchant an Illusion like Phantasmal Dragon with fx Angelic Destiny ore Spirit Mantle??

No, for the same reason--casting an Aura spell targets, so the Dragon will die if you try to cast an Aura on it.

If you find some other way to get the Aura onto the battlefield that doesn't involve casting it, then you can do it, but you can't do it by casting it.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

Can i then cast an enchanment on it like Pacifism? And can i enchant an Illusion like Phantasmal Dragon with fx Angelic Destiny ore Spirit Mantle??

Pacifism is an Aura. When you cast an Aura spell, it has to have a target.

Hexproof means "this permanent cannot be the target of spells or effects your opponent controls". If you cast pacifism, you control it, and therefore you would not be able to choose Dungrove elder or any other creature with hexproof that your opponent controls as the target.

With regards to Phantasmal Dragon and similar illusion creatures, these cards have a triggered ability which says "when this card becomes the target of a spell or ability, sacrifice it".
A triggered abilities is one which happens any time its trigger condition is met. In the case of the phantasmal dragon, the trigger condition is "becomest he target of a spell or ability". The game doesn't care who controls the ability (unlike Hexproof which does care who controls it)

You are allowed to target your Phantasmal dragon with Angelic destiny or any other aura, but when you do, the triggered ability will trigger.
Phantasmal dragon's triggered ability says "sacrifice this". So you would have to sacrifice the dragon, after which the aura would no longer have a legal target and would be put in your graveyard. Note that in this case, the Angelic destiny would go to your graveyard and would not be returned to your hand.

Not all triggered abilities are bad. For example, [c]Soul Warden[c/] has a triggered ability that lets you gain 1 life every time another creature enters the battlefield.

M:tG Rules Adviser
"Enchantment - Auras" target by rule when they are CAST. So you can't cast a Pacifism targeting an opponent's creature if it has Hexproof. However, returning it from the graveyard with Sun Titan's triggered abilities does not require you to target the creature.

It sounds weird and confusing at first, because we say "if it doesn't say target, it doesn't target" and then you see these Auras and they don't say target. But by rule, Auras do target when they are cast. If they are being brought into play by some other means, such as Sun Titan's ability, they don't target.

Sean Stackhouse Level Two Judge (Yay!) Maine

Thank you all u are i big help for me to get startet on magic!

Am i able to to fx cast an Overrun on Phantasmal Dragon??

You can, indeed, cast Overrun while you control a Phantasmal Dragon and it will benefit, but you don't cast it "on" the dragon, because Overrun doesn't target anything. For this reason, you also won't have to sacrifice the dragon.

Standard Answer to all 5E rules questions: "Ask your DM."

Also, as a general fyi, when linking cards, it is preferable to autocard over putting in links.  Easier to do and you can see the card pop up if you move the cursor over it.

[c]Overrun[/c] = Overrun

You want to start a new thread for each new rules question you have. You'll get a quicker response that way.

The dragon only dies if it becomes the target of a spell or ability... overrun doesn't target. Overrun also effects all your creatures, not one.

Luckily, in magic everything that targets will use the word "target". The only trick is that sometimes the target is hidden in reminder text like the Enchant or Equip ability.
… and then, the squirrels came.

You want to start a new thread for each new rules question you have. You'll get a quicker response that way.

The dragon only dies if it becomes the target of a spell or ability... overrun doesn't target. Overrun also effects all your creatures, not one.

Luckily, in magic everything that targets will use the word "target". The only trick is that sometimes the target is hidden in reminder text like the Enchant or Equip ability.

The Enchant keyword doesn't target.  It tells you what you're allowed to target with the Aura spell.
DCI Level 1 Judge Please autocard: [c]Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon[/c] = Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon [c=Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon]Skittles[/c] = Skittles Cards do what they say they do. No more. No less.
A Enchantment Aura is targeting like [c]Spirit Mantle[/c]
But only as long as it is a spell on the stack. Once its on the battlefield, it doesn't target anything anymore.

I have started up a Draft experiment in the Limited forums. If you're interested in Draft, come and check it out.

http://community.wizards.com/forum/limited-sealed-and-draft/threads/4206961

(It will go on for many more weeks, probably until end of July)

Once again aced the Rules Advisor test (Feb 2015). (I still make mistakes now and then, but who doesn't.)

"Simple questions" usually need rather complex answers, while complex questions often come down to no more than a simple "yes" or "no".

U can´t cast the Redirect on it, even it is targeting when its played!

Redirect targets a spell. It does not target dungrove elder.

Of course you can. While it's on the stack, it's a spell and it has a single target. 
57092228 wrote:
It is not logic: it's Magic.

I got to understand this i can cast Redirect on an enchantment Aura like Arachnus Web?? 
I got to understand this i can cast Redirect on an enchantment Aura like Arachnus Web?? 

Yes, If Arachnus web is a spell on the stack you can redirect it.

If Arachnus web is a permanent on the battlefield, then you are too late.

Yes. Auras are targetted spells on the stack and can be Redirected.
So if a card in the stack is douing somthing against only one card it is targetingeven though there arent for examples ridden (target creature)!?
The word "target" means it is targetted. In the case of auras, the word "target" is in the rules rather than on the card. 
114.1b Aura spells are always targeted. These are the only permanent spells with targets. An Aura's target is specified by its enchant keyword ability (see rule 702.5, "Enchant"). The target(s) are chosen as the spell is cast; see rule 601.2c. An Aura permanent doesn't target anything; only the spell is targeted. (An activated or triggered ability of an Aura permanent can also be targeted.)

So if a card in the stack is douing somthing against only one card it is targetingeven though there arent for examples ridden (target creature)!?

Here is a simple step-by-step procedure to identify whether a particular spell or ability targets:

Step 1
Make sure you are looking at the Oracle text of the card and/or the rulebook text for any keyword(s).

Step 2
If it is not on the stack, it has no targets, and you can skip the rest of the steps.

Step 3
If it is an Aura spell, it has one (1) target as indicated by its enchant ability, and you can skip the rest of the steps.

No, I am not a judge. That's why I like to quote sources such as the rules that trump judges.

Sign In to post comments