This will just not do!

28 posts / 0 new
Last post

First I will tell a bit about where I am coming from. I have been playing since I turned 15 I am now 39 so I have been playing D&D for about 25 years, I have seen many things in D&D come and go. I have run my own campaign world for around 22 of those years. My game world is almost complete with god's, creation myths, unique monsters. I witnessed the release and know the origin of iconic creatures such as Death Knights, Ettercap, Githyanki & Githzerai, Hook Horror, Kuo-Toa, Ravenant, Slaad’s and many others. And to me Vecna is only an uppity Wizard/Lich that was beat down a couple times.

When it comes to the inventiveness of a small group of people (people at WotC) there inventiveness pales compared to the tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of players and DM’s that are playing the game. For my game and I would guess many of the games out there there’s a LOT of house rules that never get applied as they should be.

The inability to change the character generator to reflect my house rules means that I am hard presses to endorse the character generator to my players. Similarly the reduced capacity to change monsters on the monster creator means that I need to use both the beta downloadable one and the on line one though it’s the downloadable one that gives me more use.

Character generator

The Character generator should let me set up a set of house rules that I can have all my players can join with either a code from me either the name or number of the campaign I registered the group under. Then place some of their characters in my campaign setting and make characters that reflect my game rules so if I restrict classes or races points buy value or other things that will have the restrictions show up when they are making their characters up.

Lastly so I don’t need to get them to export their character and then send it to me or log into their account on my PC on game day then to export it onto my PC and have me log into my PC to import it with is such a bother on game day, make any character that is registered into my game world show up on my PC as a character I can see and not change but copy and then change. And make characters that break the rules of my game world show up with an orange tag or something similar so I know when a character is broken or not enough points spent or missing some choices.

Monster Generator

The monster generator needs to have a way to change the monsters to be more of what I want them to be 10-20% or the monsters I use are created or adjusted creatures and not monsters with different levels as the current monster generator does. Changing gear is a basic thing and I cannot even do that I can I mean I change the “Drow Assassin “ to use a bastard sword +4 and even change the name of its attack to Magic bastard sword +4 but the damage on the attack and the gear he has on him does not change. So I need to change it then figure it out in my head then go back and change a bunch of crap by hand, that’s is why I am PAYING a monthly fee for to not have to do basic things so it will take less of my time with annoying tasks. For weapon attacks I would be able to just select a weapon in a drop down list to give an attack its damage or if I want to change things more I could be able change damage free form.

Have you hit the character limit yet in the character creator?  That's fun as well:  Paying - in total - about 70 bucks a year, and having the total amount of characters in the file limited?

Awesome job WotC!  Big thumbs up!  I'm sure your customers love your value-added services.

(And I'm in a similar boat as The_sleeper1 -- Been playing since the early 1980's over here.)
Monster Generator

The monster generator needs to have a way to change the monsters to be more of what I want them to be 10-20% or the monsters I use are created or adjusted creatures and not monsters with different levels as the current monster generator does. Changing gear is a basic thing and I cannot even do that I can I mean I change the “Drow Assassin “ to use a bastard sword +4 and even change the name of its attack to Magic bastard sword +4 but the damage on the attack and the gear he has on him does not change. So I need to change it then figure it out in my head then go back and change a bunch of crap by hand, that’s is why I am PAYING a monthly fee for to not have to do basic things so it will take less of my time with annoying tasks. For weapon attacks I would be able to just select a weapon in a drop down list to give an attack its damage or if I want to change things more I could be able change damage free form.

Perhaps you don't know the basics of 4E monster building.  Monsters != PCs.  They are not built the same.  They do not have the same assumptions.  They do NOT use the same rules.  Monster damage in 4E is intentionally abstract and has nothing to do with the weapons they use.  Your comments here lead me to believe you are coming from a 3.5 mindset where monsters are built just like PCs and have equipment and such.  This is no longer true in 4E.  The builder works exactly as intended.  Until Tuesday (when we are getting a massive upgrade of the online builder) you should be using the downloadable offline tool anyway.  It has the customizations you are looking for (control of damage die types for monster powers and even the damage amount).  Even after the update you'll want the offline tool to convert the XML export of the online tool into RTF or plain text for putting multiple stat blocks on the same printed page until they add that feature into the online.

About the rest:  I know this may seem obvious, but you're not required to have DDI to play D&D.  You're not required to endorse it to your friends.  As a consumer you have a voice.  The loudest voice is the one that says quietly: "I'm not buying your product".
About the rest:  I know this may seem obvious, but you're not required to have DDI to play D&D.  You're not required to endorse it to your friends.  As a consumer you have a voice.  The loudest voice is the one that says quietly: "I'm not buying your product".

To play it full force you do. They have put out so much material it's virtually impossible to play "well" and keep up if you do not pay. I won't even get started on keeping up with all the errata. Do you know the piles of paper you would have to have with you at any time to equal the builder?

To play it full force you do. They have put out so much material it's virtually impossible to play "well" and keep up if you do not pay. I won't even get started on keeping up with all the errata. Do you know the piles of paper you would have to have with you at any time to equal the builder?

No. No. No. No.  DDI is a convenience.  It is NOT required no matter what you or anyone else says.  Characters can be made just fine without it, it just takes longer.

Now, having said that - I personally have used DDI as a book purchace replacement.  I have PHB1, MM1, DMG1, MM3, and RC.  All other content I access via DDI instead of via purchase.
Perhaps you don't know the basics of 4E monster building.  Monsters != PCs.  They are not built the same.  They do not have the same assumptions.  They do NOT use the same rules.  Monster damage in 4E is intentionally abstract and has nothing to do with the weapons they use.  Your comments here lead me to believe you are coming from a 3.5 mindset where monsters are built just like PCs and have equipment and such.  This is no longer true in 4E.  The builder works exactly as intended.  Until Tuesday (when we are getting a massive upgrade of the online builder) you should be using the downloadable offline tool anyway.  It has the customizations you are looking for (control of damage die types for monster powers and even the damage amount).  Even after the update you'll want the offline tool to convert the XML export of the online tool into RTF or plain text for putting multiple stat blocks on the same printed page until they add that feature into the online.

Nope your mistaken I am not comming from 3.5 I am comming from Basic, Advanced, Second Ed, a bit of 3.5 and yes 4.0. In all itterations you can make up a totaly new creature with totaly new abilitys or a new creature with slightly different abilitys than a listed creature. That is a thing that ALL rules itterations from basic to 4.0 permit and encourage. You see I am refering to the kinds of things listed in DMG 2 chapter 4, it was important enough to devote 31 pages to it in DMG 2 alone and of the 4000 creatures in the CB at least 5% (1/20) seem to be a named and mabey as much as 10-20% seem to be disgned towards a special adventure or adventure group.

DDI is NOT a convenience, its a service I am paying for that does not cover the basics of the game. They want my money to continue I want a reason to keep on paying.

PS: Your wrong about magic items not effecting creatures acording to the Monster Magic Treshold, DMG pg 174 a monster of level 11-15 gets no benefit from a magic item of +1 to +2 but a weapon of +3 has the effects as a +1 weapon on the given monsters stats and a weapon of +4 has the same effects as a weapon of +2 on the given creatures stats. Also there are rules for increaseing a monsters AC with better non magic armor like for example a war troll wearing plate mail.

Nope your mistaken I am not comming from 3.5 I am comming from Basic, Advanced, Second Ed, a bit of 3.5 and yes 4.0. In all itterations you can make up a totaly new creature with totaly new abilitys or a new creature with slightly different abilitys than a listed creature. That is a thing that ALL rules itterations from basic to 4.0 permit and encourage. You see I am refering to the kinds of things listed in DMG 2 chapter 4, it was important enough to devote 31 pages to it in DMG 2 alone and of the 4000 creatures in the CB at least 5% (1/20) seem to be a named and mabey as much as 10-20% seem to be disgned towards a special adventure or adventure group.

DDI is NOT a convenience, its a service I am paying for that does not cover the basics of the game. They want my money to continue I want a reason to keep on paying.

PS: Your wrong about magic items not effecting creatures acording to the Monster Magic Treshold, DMG pg 174 a monster of level 11-15 gets no benefit from a magic item of +1 to +2 but a weapon of +3 has the effects as a +1 weapon on the given monsters stats and a weapon of +4 has the same effects as a weapon of +2 on the given creatures stats. Also there are rules for increaseing a monsters AC with better non magic armor like for example a war troll wearing plate mail.

And did you read the paragraphs that come right after that chart on p174?  You're not supposed to do what you're talking about in 4E.  Changing equipment and having those changes reflected in a critter stat block is something that 4E threw out the window.  If you want a critter to be tougher, you change it's level 99% of the time.

As for "convenience" we may just be passing each other on our use of terms.  DDI is a service yes.  It is a service that should be saving you time as a player and/or DM.  How it saves you time is kind of abstract and not so important (pre-written adventures, CB, MB, etc), just that it does indeed save you time.  This time savings is how I describe DDI as a "convenince".  If by this definition DDI is NOT a convenience, then you should be cancelling your sub right now and getting your money back because what you're saying is you get no value from DDI.

As for custom monsters, what I said originally still stands.  Get the offline MB.  You'll need it until the online one has export to RTF, image, and plain text since the Tuesday update will only have the XML export format. 

And did you read the paragraphs that come right after that chart on p174?  You're not supposed to do what you're talking about in 4E.  Changing equipment and having those changes reflected in a critter stat block is something that 4E threw out the window.  If you want a critter to be tougher, you change it's level 99% of the time.

As for "convenience" we may just be passing each other on our use of terms.  DDI is a service yes.  It is a service that should be saving you time as a player and/or DM.  How it saves you time is kind of abstract and not so important (pre-written adventures, CB, MB, etc), just that it does indeed save you time.  This time savings is how I describe DDI as a "convenince".  If by this definition DDI is NOT a convenience, then you should be cancelling your sub right now and getting your money back because what you're saying is you get no value from DDI.

As for custom monsters, what I said originally still stands.  Get the offline MB.  You'll need it until the online one has export to RTF, image, and plain text since the Tuesday update will only have the XML export format. 

I did actualy did read the little blurb saying that its bad generaly to give out +3 weapons and armor to your average troll and leave them the same level more stateing that you should generaly give more levels to a creature not magic items but the point still stands that they say you can give items there and sudgest a few other things that you can do like templates that would give other abiltys.

Your also trying to compare one instance of giveing an item to many many creatures saying that it is bad so you should only be able to increase or decrease monster level and not change the core abilitys that make a creature what it is. Acording to you you can never give a "Halfling Prowler" a sneak attack or ever change a "Halfling Stout" into a solo creature.

I am only mentioning equipment in such depth because you said "Monster damage in 4E is intentionally abstract and has nothing to do with the weapons they use" I will agree that it is generaly easyer and faster to just change a monsters level then gear it up special but gearing is still permitted showing your statement to be false.

The differance in terms lies in your word choice "convenience" has a preconcived notion that it is usefull.  The offline MB is by far much more usefull and intersting to me as it lets me use prebuilt monsters adjust levels up and down easy or go in detail and change / add an ability or remove them as I see fit.

Going back to your OP:
Changing gear is a basic thing

This is a false assertion based on the monster building rules for 4e.  Just because you CAN change gear does not imply the kind of connection between the gear and the monsters powers.  You seem to be implying that there is a cause and effect between giving a monster a bastard sword and the damage it does with it's attacks.  What I have been telling you is that 4E doesn't care what equipment the monster uses.  It's entirely abstract.  I can have a monster using a bastard sword and have his attacks do 3d6 (note it's not some quantity of d10's like a PC would be).  I can have a monster using a dagger and have his attacks do 4d10 (note it's not some quantity of d4's).  I can equip a monster with plate mail and a heavy sheild and give it a 15 AC (note it's not 20 which a PC would get).  My point (as you repeated below) is 100% correct and just because you can create a relationship (by designing a monster with a bastard sword that does 1d10 damage) does not disprove this fact.  Just because the rules allow you to put a magic item on a critter, does not mean you need to do anything but give it +1 to hit and damage and call it done.  In fact, the text below that chart is telling you that "you can use these rules, but generally you shouldn't".

I am only mentioning equipment in such depth because you said "Monster damage in 4E is intentionally abstract and has nothing to do with the weapons they use" I will agree that it is generaly easyer and faster to just change a monsters level then gear it up special but gearing is still permitted showing your statement to be false.

Monster damage is 99% determined by it's level and various other factors (role, type - artillery/brute, standard/solo) that have nothing to do with what equipment it is using.

The most you should ever do to a creature is +1 hit/damage from a magic item OR +1 AC (note the OR).  If you're doing more than this you should be adjusting it's level.  Level is tied into a creatures XP value and how tough it is to defeat.  As soon as you start "gearing up" a critter you break that relationship between XP, level, and toughness.  The rules provided are intended for 1 creature in an encounter (typically a standard or an elite - and not a solo - as bumps to a solo is like a bump to 5 creatures).

As for abilities, adding and removing powers should not have any impact on creature toughness as those powers should have a to hit bonus and damage numbers based on it's level.  For example you don't take Orcus's necrotic aura and give it to a level 1 mob without lowering the damage to something approriate to a level 1 critter (~2-3 maybe).

Going back to your OP:
Changing gear is a basic thing

This is a false assertion based on the monster building rules for 4e.  Just because you CAN change gear does not imply the kind of connection between the gear and the monsters powers.  You seem to be implying that there is a cause and effect between giving a monster a bastard sword and the damage it does with it's attacks.  What I have been telling you is that 4E doesn't care what equipment the monster uses.  It's entirely abstract.  I can have a monster using a bastard sword and have his attacks do 3d6 (note it's not some quantity of d10's like a PC would be).  I can have a monster using a dagger and have his attacks do 4d10 (note it's not some quantity of d4's).  I can equip a monster with plate mail and a heavy sheild and give it a 15 AC (note it's not 20 which a PC would get).  My point (as you repeated below) is 100% correct and just because you can create a relationship (by designing a monster with a bastard sword that does 1d10 damage) does not disprove this fact.  Just because the rules allow you to put a magic item on a critter, does not mean you need to do anything but give it +1 to hit and damage and call it done.  In fact, the text below that chart is telling you that "you can use these rules, but generally you shouldn't".

Monster damage is 99% determined by it's level and various other factors (role, type - artillery/brute, standard/solo) that have nothing to do with what equipment it is using.

The most you should ever do to a creature is +1 hit/damage from a magic item OR +1 AC (note the OR).  If you're doing more than this you should be adjusting it's level.  Level is tied into a creatures XP value and how tough it is to defeat.  As soon as you start "gearing up" a critter you break that relationship between XP, level, and toughness.  The rules provided are intended for 1 creature in an encounter (typically a standard or an elite - and not a solo - as bumps to a solo is like a bump to 5 creatures).

You seem to be missing the big picture looking at your posts. I have not ever said that the damage die is locked to the damage die of weapon the creature is useing. And again because if you give a weapon above a cretures magic threshold it WILL do more damage if only a +1 to damage. If you give a creature a different weapon to fit in with that creatures back ground and it does not thing different it is still a valid change that you should be able to repersent in the gear for the creature.

I am talking about any gear change to increase stats OR one that is for style and substance.

As for abilities, adding and removing powers should not have any impact on creature toughness as those powers should have a to hit bonus and damage numbers based on it's level.  For example you don't take Orcus's necrotic aura and give it to a level 1 mob without lowering the damage to something approriate to a level 1 critter (~2-3 maybe).

You seemingly have no concept of how tough powers would make a creature, 5-6 creatures with an aura that does 3 damage a round would likely destroy most level 1 groups.

You seem to be missing the big picture looking at your posts. I have not ever said that the damage die is locked to the damage die of weapon the creature is useing. And again because if you give a weapon above a cretures magic threshold it WILL do more damage if only a +1 to damage. If you give a creature a different weapon to fit in with that creatures back ground and it does not thing different it is still a valid change that you should be able to repersent in the gear for the creature.

I am talking about any gear change to increase stats OR one that is for style and substance.

There are two kinds of changes you can make to a creature.  Fluff and mechanical.  In 4E changing gear is nothing more than fluff.  That is the point I'm trying to get at and the die type was just an example of how that works mechanically.  You were the one that made a big deal of how hard it is to change a creatures gear and how you have to manually change it's stat block to reflect that gear change and what I've been telling you is that gear doesn't matter.  Change it's stat block to suit your needs* and then refluff all you like, but don't try to assert that there is some sort of link between the two.

*Keeping in mind that 99% of a creatures stats should be based on it's level/role/type.

You seemingly have no concept of how tough powers would make a creature, 5-6 creatures with an aura that does 3 damage a round would likely destroy most level 1 groups.

Who would put an aura on a level 1 standard creature (and make them stackable - even just 1 damage would be too powerful)?  That's just silly powerful as you point out.  It also illustrates my overriding point:  Creature stats are based on role (artillery, brute, skirmisher), type (solo, standard, minion), and level.  Note I didn't mention gear in that list anywhere.

Again I repeat that the concept of gear being linked to a monsters stat block is an artifact from all previous editions.  4E ignores gear completely when building stat blocks for critters.  The entire reason for the "magic threshold" is (only) so that you have a way (mechanically) to have your boss "use" that nifty magic item that the party is going to get from him.  They didn't want said boss to get +3 to hit/damage from a +3 sword, so they added the threshold to minimize it's impact on the stat block so it isn't overpowered for it's role/type/level.  It is not intended as a way to boost the power of your average creatures.
Have you hit the character limit yet in the character creator?  That's fun as well:  Paying - in total - about 70 bucks a year, and having the total amount of characters in the file limited?

Awesome job WotC!  Big thumbs up!  I'm sure your customers love your value-added services.

(And I'm in a similar boat as The_sleeper1 -- Been playing since the early 1980's over here.)

1. Your $70/year goes towards more than just the character builder.
2. You can export/import characters, thus you have access to an unlimited number of characters.  

Reflavoring: the change of flavor without changing any mechanical part of the game, no matter how small, in order to fit the mechanics to an otherwise unsupported concept. Retexturing: the change of flavor (with at most minor mechanical adaptations) in order to effortlessly create support for a concept without inventing anything new. Houseruling: the change, either minor or major, of the mechanics in order to better reflect a certain aspect of the game, including adapting the rules to fit an otherwise unsupported concept. Homebrewing: the complete invention of something new that fits within the system in order to reflect an unsupported concept. Default module =/= Core mechanic.
There are two kinds of changes you can make to a creature.  Fluff and mechanical.  In 4E changing gear is nothing more than fluff.  That is the point I'm trying to get at and the die type was just an example of how that works mechanically.  You were the one that made a big deal of how hard it is to change a creatures gear and how you have to manually change it's stat block to reflect that gear change and what I've been telling you is that gear doesn't matter.  Change it's stat block to suit your needs* and then refluff all you like, but don't try to assert that there is some sort of link between the two.

*Keeping in mind that 99% of a creatures stats should be based on it's level/role/type.

It should let you change it on the character and it does not. You keep on citeing that 99% over and over again can you provide a referance to game materal that states such? Otherwise I will consider it fluff.

4E ignores gear completely when building stat blocks for critters.

You go on to contridict that statement by saying:
you have a way (mechanically) to have your boss "use" that nifty magic item

let alone things that will have an effect on a weapon that does not figgure as an attack or damage bonus like a weapon that will increase skills or reduce damage resistances or permit movement modes, increase AC, an item that turns you invisibile or some of the hundreds of otherthings that gear can effect.

Please if you make a bold statement like the bolded one above dont contradict it in the same paragraph. I have cited a passage book and page number (DMG Pg 174) that shows it will have an effect if even a small one and I have also mentioned other things that will effect creature stat blocks and should be on monster stat sheets. Can you post one that backs up your 99% claims and the other wild things you have been claiming? IE that NOTHING will effect monster stat blocks.
It should let you change it on the character and it does not. You keep on citeing that 99% over and over again can you provide a referance to game materal that states such? Otherwise I will consider it fluff.

First of all I'm going to assume you're not talking about PCs when you say "character" and instead assume that you mean "monsters" or "NPCs".

99% is my version of "almost always".  You can of course do whatever you want, but it's not recommended.  The two paragraphs right after the chart (on 174) effectively say it's not recommended.

4E ignores gear completely when building stat blocks for critters.

You go on to contridict that statement by saying:
you have a way (mechanically) to have your boss "use" that nifty magic item

For some DM's there's this thing called verisimilitude.   Frankly I have no use for it, but some do.  For those people you have this rule that lets you put magic items on a critter.  Just because there is a rule for it does not mean that the critter "depends" on said item.  As DM you can give any creature any ability you see fit - no magic items required.

Example 1
Scenario A:  I give a critter a +1 sword that has a 0 threshold.  I then adjust all it's attacks by +1 to hit and +1 damage.
Scenario B:  I adjust all a critters attacks by +1 to hit and +1 damage (because I feel like it).

Example 2
Scenario A:  I give a critter a ring of invisiblity that allows it to turn invisible once per encounter.
Scenario B:  I give a critter an encounter power that lets it turn invisible.

Note that both examples wind up with the same result, but one has an item and the other doesn't.  Also (because there are no disarm rules in 4E), creature A does not fear losing it's bonus from said sword so it's effectivey "baked in" to it's stat block and it still can be just as effective with or without said sword.  So I reiterate: gear does not matter.  The whole idea that in order to give a creature an ability, you have to give it a magic item is a remnant from all previous editions.  The idea that a creature is dependant on an item you give it is also a remnant.  Once you're done "adding equipment" to a creature you have a final stat block and the gear you added no longer matters to that stat block.

If you look at the monster creation rules (p184) you'll see that there is no mention of "gear" anywhere there, just some math on how to come up with a stat block based on level/role/type.

let alone things that will have an effect on a weapon that does not figgure as an attack or damage bonus like a weapon that will increase skills or reduce damage resistances or permit movement modes, increase AC, an item that turns you invisibile or some of the hundreds of otherthings that gear can effect.

Please if you make a bold statement like the bolded one above dont contradict it in the same paragraph. I have cited a passage book and page number (DMG Pg 174) that shows it will have an effect if even a small one and I have also mentioned other things that will effect creature stat blocks and should be on monster stat sheets. Can you post one that backs up your 99% claims and the other wild things you have been claiming? IE that NOTHING will effect monster stat blocks.

As I illustrated above I did not contradict myself.  Just because a rule exists that says you change a monsters stats if you give it a certain item does not make that a cause/effect relationship.

Edit:  A guide to encounter design that has excellent reasons for sticking with creatures of equal level of your party (and the same reasons apply to why you shouldn't raise attacks/defenses either)  www.enworld.org/forum/general-rpg-discus...

99% is my version of "almost always".  You can of course do whatever you want, but it's not recommended.  The two paragraphs right after the chart (on 174) effectively say it's not recommended.

The problem is that "almost always" reaily means "the way I do things" and your 99% reaily is 99% in your games. As not recomended as it is they have done it many times.

Example 1
Scenario A:  I give a critter a +1 sword that has a 0 threshold.  I then adjust all it's attacks by +1 to hit and +1 damage.
Scenario B:  I adjust all a critters attacks by +1 to hit and +1 damage (because I feel like it).

Example 2
Scenario A:  I give a critter a ring of invisiblity that allows it to turn invisible once per encounter.
Scenario B:  I give a critter an encounter power that lets it turn invisible.

Note that both examples wind up with the same result, but one has an item and the other doesn't.  Also (because there are no disarm rules in 4E), creature A does not fear losing it's bonus from said sword so it's effectivey "baked in" to it's stat block and it still can be just as effective with or without said sword.  So I reiterate: gear does not matter.  The whole idea that in order to give a creature an ability, you have to give it a magic item is a remnant from all previous editions.  The idea that a creature is dependant on an item you give it is also a remnant.  Once you're done "adding equipment" to a creature you have a final stat block and the gear you added no longer matters to that stat block.

If you look at the monster creation rules (p184) you'll see that there is no mention of "gear" anywhere there, just some math on how to come up with a stat block based on level/role/type.

Intersting, I say I want to be able to put differend abilitys and gear on a monster in the monster generator you say you don't need to put gear on a monster but you you can put an ability on a monster and have the same effect. I can no more put an effect in the generator than an item. Actualy there is a referance to gear, its the first one in there stateing that you can customize a monster with the information that is on page 174. And at any rate haveing a way to do level adjustments in and of itself does not invaldite adjustments from gear. 

As I illustrated above I did not contradict myself.  Just because a rule exists that says you change a monsters stats if you give it a certain item does not make that a cause/effect relationship.

Gear adjustments are not required but it does place rules there to adjust for gear they have. They are not listed as optional rules if you give a monster or NPC a magic item above its magic threshold you increase its damage and hit chance, you may or may not in your game but game rules state you do adjust. You did contridict what you said you said clearly that it has NO effect you used " ignores" then state how it can be used.
Gear adjustments are not required but it does place rules there to adjust for gear they have. They are not listed as optional rules if you give a monster or NPC a magic item above its magic threshold you increase its damage and hit chance, you may or may not in your game but game rules state you do adjust. You did contridict what you said you said clearly that it has NO effect you used " ignores" then state how it can be used.

You claim to have read, but you have failed to comprehend.

Avoid the temptation simply to give all your monsters better armor and weapons.

If you want to give a monster equipment that changes attack, defense, or damage by more than a point or so, consider also making those alterations as part of changing it's level.

What they are saying is sure you can use gear, but you really shouldn't.  Phrased differently, you can use these rules, but it should be the exception (99% or almost always) and not the rule.

When the total difference of one level is +1 to hit, damage, defenses, and +6-10 HPs and you give it +1 to hit and damage you've already given the creature 50% of it's level with no commensurate increase in XP value or "challenge rating" against your group.  If you do this to every creature you build you can increase the encounter level by a whole point and that increased challenge will be completely "hidden".

Let's run some numbers.  For arguements sake I'll just declare the 4 different level bonuses as 25% of the increase.  So to hit is 25%, damage is 25%, etc.  This is probably inaccurate, but for illustration purposes it will do.  (I would personally rate the attack and defense bonuses as more than 50% and the extra damage and HPs as less than 50% but I'm not sure on exact values)

If I give a +1 sword to a level 1 creature it gets +1 to hit and damage.  That's 50% of the full level bonus.  A level 1 (standard) creature is worth 100XP and a level 2 (standard) is worth 125.  This means you just increased the "value" of that monster by 12.5 XP (50% of 25) in terms of it's combat effectiveness without actually changing it's XP value.  If you do this to 1 creature every few encounters....no big deal (again remember we're talking "exception to the rule").  If you do it to all creatures with a party of 5 against 6 level 1 creatures you just went from 600XP to 725XP.  You "just" went from ~n+1 to ~n+2.  All because you "just" followed the rules.

1 = 100 * 5 = 500 (n)
2 = 125 * 5 = 625 (n+1)
3 = 150 * 5 = 750 (n+2)
4 = 175 * 5 = 875 (n+3)
5 = 200 * 5 = 1000 (n+4)

Even if you don't care about the increased difficulty (or perhaps that was your intent all along), there is still the matter of the final stat block.  Once you arrive at the final stat block for the creature, the gear you gave it to get there doesn't matter anymore.  It becomes nothing more than window dressing.  Items can be translated into fixed bonuses within the stat block itself or actual abilities.  Ultimately all those things should be "level/type/role appropriate" in power level.  Just as you knew instincitively that a ~2-3 damage aura on a level 1 standard creature is crazy powerful, so is adding gear to more than just one creature every few encounters.  Especially if you don't intend to change it's XP value.
so is adding gear to more than just one creature every few encounters.  Especially if you don't intend to change it's XP value.

erdana">This I will agree with unless it is done in a balanced way. but your earlier quotes don't show what your trying to say. The 2 lines you quoted only imply the line I quoted putting things like "shouldn't", "99" & "almost always" goes a ways further then that, they are all how you are interpreting it. Not wrong by any means but the quotes give latitude that your interpretation takes away.

2. You can export/import characters, thus you have access to an unlimited number of characters.  

I understand that it goes to more than the CB.  There is some fine content, in addition other tools that are in-process as well.  My commentary was mixed between specific and general, thus confusing my own issues. - My apologies.

With regards to exporting characters...where do I find the information, as to how to make it happen?  I'm 100% certain that my own attempts have been...well...flawed.

I understand that it goes to more than the CB.  There is some fine content, in addition other tools that are in-process as well.  My commentary was mixed between specific and general, thus confusing my own issues. - My apologies.

With regards to exporting characters...where do I find the information, as to how to make it happen?  I'm 100% certain that my own attempts have been...well...flawed.

From the main screen, click the Load button.  From the Load screen, single click a character, then click the Export button.  You import characters from this location as well.

Reflavoring: the change of flavor without changing any mechanical part of the game, no matter how small, in order to fit the mechanics to an otherwise unsupported concept. Retexturing: the change of flavor (with at most minor mechanical adaptations) in order to effortlessly create support for a concept without inventing anything new. Houseruling: the change, either minor or major, of the mechanics in order to better reflect a certain aspect of the game, including adapting the rules to fit an otherwise unsupported concept. Homebrewing: the complete invention of something new that fits within the system in order to reflect an unsupported concept. Default module =/= Core mechanic.

From the main screen, click the Load button.  From the Load screen, single click a character, then click the Export button.  You import characters from this location as well.

Right.  I've done that, but do I need to send them to a specific (as in pre-existing, set there by DDI a while ago) file?  They're coming across as a "DDI Character Builder File," I am not able to read them.  What applications work to open these files?
You can export as many as you want out and delete the character from the builder if you want to make room or clean things up you can then either later "import" that same file back into the CB or if need be send it to your DM as an attachment on an email. The only program that will open them is the CB.
The only program that will open them is the CB.

Not true.  The character files are merely XML files with a .dnd4e extension.

Right.  I've done that, but do I need to send them to a specific (as in pre-existing, set there by DDI a while ago) file?  They're coming across as a "DDI Character Builder File," I am not able to read them.  What applications work to open these files?

You could download Notepad++, which you can then use to open the files.  Any text reader, such as Notepad, works but the formatting is virtually unreadable as it does not lay out the XML nodes for you.

Actualy after I looked at it I realized you can red it in word as a UTF-8 file with formating. as mentioned above notepad does work but its one huge mashed up bunch of text that is hard to read.

Just looked at the MB and its a lot better then it was. You can do everything the old one can but it looks better. Hopefully there is no lag. 
Why does it always seem that Kenjoon and Jahrii are actually employees who work on this piece of garbage... They defend things in the most obtuse way and refuse to just admit that the product is majorly flawed and not worth a fraction of what people pay... At this point, the DDI should be free.

IF and WHEN they finally have a working suite, they can start charging again.

I'm stll using the old CB and MB when we play D&D.

Also, I behoove ANYONE to create and play 5 epic level characters with no computers... It would be a nightmare and you all know it. 
Agreed.  When you can use it with out locking up repeatedly, and can print from it the first time you try, then charge for it.  Right now, it's not worth paying for.  I also agree with trying to create and play a 4E character by hand.  I've seen people try to do it with low level charcters.  Even at first level with no magic items, it takes them forever to figure out what to do, and add up their attack bonuses, and they can't even figure out what some of their class features do.  What a mess.  It's a shame the game practically requires you to use the CB.
Why does it always seem that Kenjoon and Jahrii are actually employees who work on this piece of garbage... They defend things in the most obtuse way and refuse to just admit that the product is majorly flawed and not worth a fraction of what people pay... At this point, the DDI should be free.

You have failed your basic understanding of capitalism, economics 101, and software development.  If you care to offer some specific criticism I'll be glad to "explain it to you".  If on the other hand you only wish to offer slander against your fellow forums members, then you can leave and take your trolling elsewhere.

As soon as you go tell your boss you don't need to be paid anymore (you'll work for free), then I'll consider your suggestion that DDI be free as something other than worthless.

Who in their right mind plays more than one character??? 
Agreed.  When you can use it with out locking up repeatedly, and can print from it the first time you try, then charge for it.  Right now, it's not worth paying for.

Again I suggest that you examine your hardware.  If you are having these issues it is something wrong on your end as there are many more users who don't have these issues.  If you have printing issues you are either using a Mac or low end hardware on a Windows machine.  Either way installing a PDF printer and using ~150 dpi resolution will fix the issue.  "Print" to a file, then open with Acrobat Reader and print.

I also agree with trying to create and play a 4E character by hand.  I've seen people try to do it with low level charcters.  Even at first level with no magic items, it takes them forever to figure out what to do, and add up their attack bonuses, and they can't even figure out what some of their class features do.  What a mess.  It's a shame the game practically requires you to use the CB.

This is the WoW generation and people are lazy.  They don't feel like reading the rules, they just want to play.  Blaming this laziness and lack of rules knowledge for "...the game practically requires you to use the CB" seems...wrong (since I can't find the right term - Straw man, disingenuous, something).

On the other side of this is the fact that the CB has brought new blood into the hobby in a way that we could never have new people before.  Those who chose not to play because of the learning curve and time requirements.  Now that the barrier of entry has been greatly reduced we are getting some who would never have played before, but stay once they've tried it out.  As DM's and players we should be welcoming this new blood into our hobby intead of griping about them.  And most importantly we should be teaching them the rules so eventually they can do those things.  Or are you opposed to "the unwashed masses" playing in "your game"?

IF and WHEN they finally have a working suite, they can start charging again.

I'm stll using the old CB and MB when we play D&D.

Also, I behoove ANYONE to create and play 5 epic level characters with no computers... It would be a nightmare and you all know it. 

You must not pay much attention if you've come to that conclusion.  I am highly critical of DDI.  Open your eyes.

Also, offering a suggestion or a solution is not defending something.  It is trying to help a fellow user.