Do Vampires suck? (Not as in blood)

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
I saw Vampire is now a class in Heroes of Shadow and I'm interested in the Shadowfell material for a Ravenloft-esque gothic D&D game but I've heard Vampire as a class is very limited.

Is Vampire as a class gimped? Can you tell me its strengths and weaknesses and how it stack up to other classes please? 
My personal experience is no, the vampire class isn't gimped. Timmy power players have done a good job in breaking it down to sucktitude but in casual games it's a fun class. I've reached 14th level on my Vampire (I started at 7th though, Gloomwraught delve and all) and the class truly opens up a bit in the paragon stretch.
My Shade Vampire is my fav char to play atm. Surprisingly accurate and durable.
Show
58033128 wrote:
I still get bewildered by the idea of Good races and Bad races. I mean, D&D presents a world where there are literally dozens of sentient humanoid races. And then there's a line drawn down the middle, and some races, such as elves, dragonborn and humans, to name but a few, are put on one side and called Good Guys. And with that they are People. They have Rights. And on the other side go a bunch of other races, goblins, orcs, kobolds, and so on. These are called Bad Guys, and as such, they are not People. It is considered ok by many players to track them down and slaughter them. It shatters my suspension of disbelief to see someone who calls their character a hero, a noble sort of person who tries their damnedest to right wrongs and fight evil, making sure that those goblin women and children don't get away, because, you know, they're goblins. They're not just stupid beasts. They have societies, culture and language. They have goals, and motivations. I can believe that someone would kill a drow or an orc at first sight, because they probably were up to something. But don't try to tell me that that was a Good act and that you did it because you are a Good Person. When I'm considering what to do with a group of "bad" humanoids, and I come up with an idea, I mentally replace whatever the "bad guy" of the week is with humans. If it isn't ok to do it to a human, I won't do it to any sentient race.
My Views on the Alignment System:
Show
Killing something because it might be evil = evil Killing something because it might do something evil = evil Killing something because it is planning to do something evil = neutral Killing something because has done something evil = neutral Killing something because it is doing evil = good
It actually plays better than it looks on paper.
You're not a top-tier CharOp striker, forget that, you'll dish reasonnable amounts of damage, with an average higher than most other non-striker classes.
Don't let the 2 surges scare you, you'll be extremely resilient (be careful at heroic though).
You might depend a bit on others for healing surges outside combat (but the leader can practically ignore you in combat, unless you get badly critted).
There is a flagrant lack of choices though, your features and powers will be chosen for you for your the entire career.
Try it out is the best advice I can give.
-Realize You are your own source of all Creation, of your own master plan.
Depends what you mean by "gimped"

It's certainly functional, and won't just vanish in a puff of smoke when a minion sneezes in its general direction.

It is, however, low on the totem pole as far as striker damage.  They're tough little buggers, but being hard to kill and nonthreatening doesn't make for a good combination.  It means you'll be the last to die.

Combine that with the near inability to optimize even to minor degrees, and you've got a problematic character.

Individual players being able to make it work doesn't change the fact that it's an uphill battle compared to nearly every other class in the game.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
Vampire + Foe Stone = Very accurate striker.  Not as accurate as an Avenger, but due to the ability to target the lowest defense, they are basically more accurate than all the other strikers.

-SYB
Just to echo everyone else.  It's not a great as a "striker", but it's a fine as a "class".

They do moderate damage, have moderate toughness, and contribute moderate control.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

You're not a top-tier CharOp striker...

Fixed that for you. 

The vampire's primary problem is a lack of clear mechanical identity: as mellored says, they can do a little bit of everything--in a game that rewards specialization.  Its other major drawback is that it runs on rails, and it's relatively difficult to break out of the straitjacket the designers placed on the class.  If you're comfortable with those things, it's perfectly functional.
I've been looking at it.
Main limitation I see is that HoS only provides one set of options for the class. That whole thing of Essentials 'making it easier by eliminating the burden of having to decide between powers' concept. So, until D&D Insider or whatever provides more option/tools for HoS classes, you have few real choices beyond maybe which feats to choose. Hopefully there will be some nice expansion some time soon.

I think another pass of editing HoS could have made it a lot easier for those still only using 4E (and not Essentials). Would not have taken much effort, and would have prevented a lot of WTF, Huh?, and other confusion.
Sign In to post comments