How to build

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi guys,i'm new on this forum i hope i'm not in the wrong section,i'm sorry for my "bad" english,i'm italian.

I have a question,i restarted playing Magic one week ago after years of stop,when i used to play i was only 15 and i didn't now anything about strategy or deck building,now i want to learn how to build a good deck with a specifical strategy inside,i tried but it's quite difficoult to build without copying,so i'm asking to you,what's the best way to learn to build a good deck? What's the best way to understand wich strategy you want to follow,because i really change my mind hour per hour eheh. So i'm asking some good suggests for a "newbie" who wants to became a good player/builder..how did you started? :D

Thanks for attenction and helps and again sorry for my english!
There is nothing wrong with learning from others. But simply copying the decks will not help you become a better deckbuilder. You have to try to understand the decks, the reasoning behind the cards and the timing of when and when not to cast the spells.

There are, however, a few mistakes very common among new deckbuilders:

1) The decks are too big
It is usually best to stick to 60 card decks, the absolute minimum. This way, the chances for drawing what you need, when you need it is maximized.

2) The decks are to unfocused (1)
New players tend to try to go too many different routes with one deck, adding cards "just in case" their main strategy gets twarted. Don't! Focus your deck on a single strategy. Every card should either further that strategy, protect it or hinder your opponent's, thus aiding yours. Different strategies are for different decks. Don't stray from the main strategy; pick one and stay true to it.

3) The decks are to unfocused (2)
New players tend to not use the maximum possible amount of copies of their best cards to squeeze in some other cards that might or might not help. That way, they end up with a lot of 1-ofs, 2-ofs and 3-ofs. But cards aren't equal in power, and for your deck to be most powerful only use the most powerful cards and the highest possible amount, 4-ofs, to increase consistency. This is, of course, only a guideline, and there are many reasons to deviate from it.

4) Not enough land
It is very tempting to cut land in order to put in yet another spell. But you can easily end up with too few lands. Newer players often underestimate the impact a single land has on the overall performance of the deck. As a rule of thumb, start with 24 lands in a 60 card deck (or about 40%). And only deviate from that if playtesting shows, that you can do with less or need more.

5) Unbalanced mana curve
Powerful cards tend to be rather expensive mana wise. Ignoring the mana costs of the cards and stuffing the decks with lots of high cost cards will lead to you not being able to do anything in the early game except playing lands. You need to be able to do something in the early stages of the game or by the time you can start to cast your powerful spells, they won't be enough to prevent you from losing. You need cheap and midrange cards as well, so that you can defend yourself or put pressure on your opponent. Ideally, you want to be able to do something every turn of the game. That doesn't mean, you need to do anything, but you need to be able to.

To become a good player/deckbuilder, you need a lot of practice. You need to know the rules of the game. And you have to always question the importance of the cards in your decks. A card that doesn't fit the deck has no reason to be in there, even if that card is quite powerful. Not every deck can utilize every card.

And always remember: Good decks use good cards. A good card is useful on its own without needing another card to function. Unless you want to build a combo deck.

There are several forums on this site, that deal with deckbuilding in the various formats. You can post your decks there and have other players take a look at it. From their comments you can learn quite a lot, not only, how to improve your decks, but also, how to become a better deckbuilder. But there is no "right" way to play this game and different people will have different opinions. Pay attention to the things they agree on. And keep an open mind for the things they don't.
Thanks man,really!
One thing that I usually do is build one deck and tweak it until it is the best I think it can be. I even go so far as to take notes while I play. I'll write down which cards I draw the most/least, how often I draw mana, and I take notes on the deck I am playing against. Of course that seems like a lot of work, but it has really helped me to see how decks work.
Follow my blogs! NOTES FROM THE SHADOWFELL -RPGs, TCGs/CCGs, Comics, etc. BEYOND THE AGONY -Horror and metal!