09/14/2011 StF: "The Saint, the Geist, and the Angel"

36 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Savor the Flavor, which goes live Wednesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Cleric Commander deck?
Seems fun for vorthos.

Cause light wounds indeed. 
Saint Traft, may you finally meet your Angelic Destiny.
Article said:
"...Gain life from it with Angelic Chorus or Suture Priest, or sacrifice it to Culling Dais, Birthing Pod, or Greater Good."

That Pod idea would be nifty, if only it were legal.

"Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery."  AKA, the eleven words that keep Birthing Pod from being the best card in Standard and Modern.  :P

The Angel gets exiled at end of combat, not turn.  It can't be there during main pre, as you haven't attacked with Traft yet.  And it will be gone before you receive priority in main post.  Sad.

You could only go get a Bird of Paradise with it anyway...

I think the Culling Dais is a better idea, or sacing it to some other benefit.  (How delightfully twisted would it be to feed it to Bloodthrone Vampire?  :P)

My very favorite plan with Traft?  Putting him on a Mimic Vat.  It solves the problem of how to deal with the fact that they just block Traft and take the 4 and they're done with it.  Vat makes the pain eternal, turning Traft into a cheapie Broodmate Dragon.
So...either the card was made to fit the story or the story was made to fit the card.

Card is really awkward without the story.  The art pushes it a bit but really, the flavor is NOT contained in the card IMO and that isn't good.

Compare:

Gwafa Hazid, Profiteer
Immediately, "Profiteer" springs out...he's also a Rogue and has flavor text to match his "bribery counters."

This guy....has a short story online.

So...either the card was made to fit the story or the story was made to fit the card.

Card is really awkward without the story.  The art pushes it a bit but really, the flavor is NOT contained in the card IMO and that isn't good.

Compare:

Gwafa Hazid, Profiteer
Immediately, "Profiteer" springs out...he's also a Rogue and has flavor text to match his "bribery counters."

This guy....has a short story online.

Well no, you don't get the flavor that he is a world-renowned demon-slayer from long ago. However, the card does provide the flavor of a saint's spirit who has a guardian angel. I love the card, despite the fact that is my least favorite color combination.
Besides, comparing him to Gwafa Hazid isn't fair, because Gwafa Hazid is one of the most flavorful card designs around.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c6f9e416e5e0e1f0a1e5c42b0c7b3e88.jpg?v=90000)
So, as I was reading this article, very slowly words began to appear in white on the large art piece of Needle's Eye. I didn't write it down, but it looked like a very short log entry from the world of Innistrad, about so-and-so being arrogant. Now when I view the article, the text doesn't appear. It happened very slowly over time, and was quite eerie. Anyone know what that was about?

Ok, cool. It finally happened again. It says:
"I did it again. Coins from Cathar Trinar.
He acts like I am beneath him. Like I
am only Kessig scum. He comes from
a landed family in Nearheath. A few coins
mean nothing to him. I never knew how
arrogant people from Gavonry really are.

Reika
31st of Harvest Moon, Ava. 716

Twitter.com/brauerjosh"
Article was snazzy and reminded me why there are actually articles and not just preview cards.

The card itself could be useful, but I'll have to play with it to be certain. I'd probably rather have Ludevic's Abomination in WU (budget/semi-casual) control anyways, but it's worth a try. 
Immature College Student (Also a Rules Advisor)
I really enjoyed the article, very well done imo. 

The card seems like some fun to play. I might put it into a  colored deck. I also really like the flavor and the card art (not my favorite card art, but it makes a close second).

Plus, I think I just found another card to go into Rubinia Soulsinger EDH.
What a GREAT story! I enjoyed it so much! Superb job people :D Give more stories and Innistrad books ASAP!
Saint Traft, may you finally meet your Angelic Destiny.

Yo, that's awesome, dude! I love how that turns him into a 2-turn clock, as well as making him an Angel along with his token. Kudos for pointing that one out.

PORTRAIT OF A PLANESWALKER – Coming October 13th, 2013

IMAGE(http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/385.gif)

Fun article! From the story, he sounds white to me -- where'd the blue come from?
Article said:
"...Gain life from it with Angelic Chorus or Suture Priest, or sacrifice it to Culling Dais, Birthing Pod, or Greater Good."

That Pod idea would be nifty, if only it were legal.

"Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery."  AKA, the eleven words that keep Birthing Pod from being the best card in Standard and Modern.  :P

The Angel gets exiled at end of combat, not turn.  It can't be there during main pre, as you haven't attacked with Traft yet.  And it will be gone before you receive priority in main post.  Sad.

You could only go get a Bird of Paradise with it anyway...

My first thought was, you can make it work with Pod if you use Sundial of the Infinite =D

My second thought was, this card is nuts with Sundial of the Infinite period.
Once again, Garmichael, can I ask you to please spell the link out so that it doesn't misdirect to a page that does not exist (auto-correcting to .dk)? Thank you
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
Good card, especially if you can make him unblockable or pump him up.  The story was excellent. 
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
Fun article! From the story, he sounds white to me -- where'd the blue come from?

I'm just going to assume that the is just because he's a spirit legend. Doesn't make any sense either way.
IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/global/images/mtgcom_daily_mc52_picMain_en.jpg)IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/73821e61e013eadf56a8e4e2226d89a3.jpg?v=90000)
Great story, the card's just OK.

By the time I had scrolled down to the artwork, all the white letters were there.  I guess I must be a slow reader?
I really don't get the story at all.  So the demons' horrible plan was to make Traft lie to an angel and perform a cult ritual?  But he didn't have to lie to the angel in the first place; he could have just explained that he didn't want to endanger the child (the angel understood this anyway).  I also don't see what the big deal was with the cult ritual since he intended to kill the cultists anyway.  The fact that he was tricked into doing so with the cult dagger just seems like a technicality.  I suppose it was a less predictable ending than "Surprise!  You killed the hostage by mistake!" but it was still pretty weak.

I'm just going to assume that the is just because he's a spirit legend. Doesn't make any sense either way.

erdana">The blue is justified mechanically for Hexproof; White grants Shroud or Hexproof to players, but not creatures, usually. Flavor-wise, the concept of such a ghost could have been monowhite.erdana">
So far, I don’t like the “spirits are blue” choice made for Innistrad very much. It feels like they had to associate a color pair to the tribe or vice-versa and that it ended up being the only choice fitting their model. Granted, green and red fit even less, and black has too much other stuff it wants in a horror setting. But still… Mechanically, sure, blue can get small ground creatures and fliers of all sizes, and whatever their creature type is doesn’t matter too much, but that doesn’t feel like very good flavor.
I really don't get the story at all.  So the demons' horrible plan was to make Traft lie to an angel and perform a cult ritual?  But he didn't have to lie to the angel in the first place; he could have just explained that he didn't want to endanger the child (the angel understood this anyway).  I also don't see what the big deal was with the cult ritual since he intended to kill the cultists anyway.  The fact that he was tricked into doing so with the cult dagger just seems like a technicality.  I suppose it was a less predictable ending than "Surprise!  You killed the hostage by mistake!" but it was still pretty weak.

The demonic plan here was to kill two birds with one stone : accomplish the ritual to release Withengar’s essence without angelic interference, devilishly using Traft, a mortal enemy of the demons, to do it, while killing that mortal enemy at the same time. This is a vile, cunning plan, and in my opinion, makes for an excellent short story. The lie to the angel is not what’s important here : it only serves to show us Traft’s heroism in wanting to protect the girl. As for the dagger, it’s a sacrificial dagger enchanted with demon magic and it needed to be used. Killing the cultists in an other manner would not have worked. That they placed the dagger in Traft’s hand adds good spice to the story. With that said, it is possible that the ritual could have worked if Traft wasn’t the one doing the killings, and I would have liked it if we were clearly told that the dagger being in goodly hands actually helped the ritual, but I wouldn’t have added anything else. Best short story on Savor the Flavor yet, IMO.
Magic The Gathering DCI Lvl 1 Judge Don't hesitate to post rules question in the Rules Q&A forum for me and other competent advisors to answer : http://community.wizards.com/go/forum/view/75842/134778/Rules_Q38A
I really enjoyed the story, and I really like the card.

~ Tim
I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
So, as I was reading this article, very slowly words began to appear in white on the large art piece of Needle's Eye. I didn't write it down, but it looked like a very short log entry from the world of Innistrad, about so-and-so being arrogant. Now when I view the article, the text doesn't appear. It happened very slowly over time, and was quite eerie. Anyone know what that was about?

Ok, cool. It finally happened again. It says:
"I did it again. Coins from Cathar Trinar.
He acts like I am beneath him. Like I
am only Kessig scum. He comes from
a landed family in Nearheath. A few coins
mean nothing to him. I never knew how
arrogant people from Gavonry really are.

Reika
31st of Harvest Moon, Ava. 716

Twitter.com/brauerjosh"

It's part of a longer story that Wizards has been releasing in part. A few pieces each day. I have the whole thing collected at my blog.

www.mtgfiction.com/2011/08/innistrad-vir...
By the time I had scrolled down to the artwork, all the white letters were there.  I guess I must be a slow reader?

So that makes two of us.

Very nice story.
OMG click HERE! OMG! How to autocard and use decklist format
--->
For autocarding, write [c][/c] with the name of the card inside it. [c]Island[/c] = Island For linking a card to Gatherer without writting the name of said card for readers, use the autocard brackets together with and equal sign and right the name of the real card. Then put the message you want inside the tags, like you would do with autocarding. Like this: [c=Curse of the Cabal]Captain Never-resolves[/c] = Captain Never-resolves For using the decklist format, follow this: [deck] 4* Terramorphic Expanse 4* Evolving Wilds ... [/deck] It equals:
Real signature, Sblocked for space:
57817638 wrote:
I like storm crow because I really like crows in real life, as an animal, and the card isn't terribly stupid, but packs a good deal of nostalgia and also a chunck of the game's history. So it's perhaps one of the cards I have most affection to, but not because "lol storm crow is bad hurr hurr durr".
Listen to my SoundCloud while you read my signature. The Island, Come And See, The Landlord's Daughter, You'll Not Feel The Drowning - The Decemberists by vimschy IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/rkvR.gif)IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/L3es.gif) IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/m71H.gif)
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
Although I do assume you deliberately refer to them (DCI) as The Grand Imperial Convocation of Evil just for the purposes of making them sound like an ancient and terrible conspiracy.
Now, now. 1994 doesn't quite qualify as "ancient".
56734518 wrote:
Oh, it's a brilliant plan. You see, Bolas was travelling through shadowmoor, causing trouble, when he saw a Wickerbough Elder with its stylin' dead scarecrow hat. Now, Bolas being Bolas took the awesome hat and he put it on his head, but even with all his titanic powers of magic he couldn't make it fit. He grabbed some more scarecrows, but then a little kithkin girl asked if he was trying to build a toupee. "BY ALL THE POWERS IN THE MULTIVERSE!" he roared, "I WILL HAVE A HAT WORTHY OF MY GLORY." and so he went through his Dark Lore of Doom (tm) looking for something he could make into a hat that would look as stylish on him as a scarecrow does on a treefolk. He thought about the Phyrexians, but they were covered in goopy oil that would make his nonexistant hair greasy. He Tried out angels for a while but they didn't sit quite right. Then, he looked under "e" (because in the Elder Draconic alphabet, "e" for Eldrazi is right next to "h" for Hat) in his Dark Lore of Doom and saw depictions of the Eldrazi, and all their forms. "THIS SHALL BE MY HAT!" he declared, poking a picture of Emrakul, "AND WITH IT I WILL USHER IN A NEW AGE OF DARKNESS -- ER, I MEAN A NEW AGE OF FASHION!" And so Nicol Bolas masterminded the release of the Eldrazi.
57864098 wrote:
Rhox War Monk just flips pancakes, and if games have told us anything, it's that food = life.
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
This thread has gotten creepy. XP
Really? Really? The last couple days have been roughly every perverse fetish imaginable, but it only got "creepy" when speculation on Mother of Runes's mob affiliation came up?
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
Nice mana base. Not really.
Yeah, really. If my deck was going to cost $1000+, I'd at least make it good.
99812049 wrote:
I like to think up what I consider clever names for my decks, only later to be laughed at by my wife. It kills me a little on the inside, but thats what marriage is about.
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
Of course, the best use [of tolaria west] is transmuting for the real Tolaria. ;)
Absolutely. I used to loose to my buddy's Banding deck for ages, it was then that I found out about Tolaria, and I was finally able win my first game.
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
You know, being shallow and jusdgmental aside, "I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
"I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
The only way I'd cast this card is into a bonfire.
82032421 wrote:
The short answer is that there's no rule barring annoying people from posting, but there a rule barring us from harassing them about it.
56747598 wrote:
Browbeat is a card that is an appropriate deck choice when there's no better idea available. "No better idea available" was pretty much the running theme of Odyssey era.
56874518 wrote:
Or perhaps it was a more straightforward comment indicating a wish for you to be bitten (Perhaps repeatedly) by a small yet highly venomous arachnid.
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
You're an idiot, and I'm in no mood for silliness.
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
That's the answer to everything.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
I think the problem is that you don't exist.
This would sound great out of context!
56965458 wrote:
Modern is like playing a new tournament every time : you build a deck, you win with it, don't bother keeping it. Just build another, its key pieces will get banned.
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
I specifically remember posting a thread when I was just a witty bitty noob.
You make it sound like that's still not the case.
58325628 wrote:
Rap is what happens when the c from crap is taken away.
Doug Beyer:
But sometimes it's also challenging. Because sometimes OH MY GOD, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS THING?
141434757 wrote:
Flashforward five thousand years (Click for atmosphere) :
57927608 wrote:
to paraphrase Jeff Goldblum, Vektor finds a way.
58347268 wrote:
when in rome **** AND PILLAGE
143229641 wrote:
I always find it helpful when im angry to dress up in an owl costume and rub pennies all over my body in front of a full body mirror next to the window.
Dymecoar:
Playing Magic without Blue is like sleeping without any sheets or blankets. You can do it...but why?
Omega137:
Me: "I love the moment when a control deck stabilizes. It feels so... right." Omega137: "I like the life drop part until you get there, it's the MtG variant of bungee jumping"
Zigeif777:
Just do it like Yu-Gi-Oh or monkeys: throw all the crap you got at them and hope it works or else the by-standers (or opponents) just get dirty and pissed.
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
It's true that Alpha and Beta didn't contain any cards like Tarmogoyf, Darksteel Colossus, or Platinum Angel. It just contained weak, insignificant cards like Black Lotus, Mox Sapphire, and Time Walk.
Normally it's difficult to pick up on your jokes/sarcasm. But this one's pretty much out there. Good progress. You have moved up to Humanoid. You'll be Human in no time.
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
I didn't know Samurai were known to be able to cut down whole armies...
They can when they're using lightsabers!
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
My wife brought home a baby black squirrel they found on a horse track and cared for it for a few days. We named it Grixis, but it died.
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:
[/spoiler] And I'm on Magic Arcana. How about you? Oh, by the way, I'm also on From the Lab now. Twice, actually. And now with my own submited decklist!
I loved the story. The path that Traft took was a path of corruption, which embodies the most evil. Being a saint, he had to choose the lesser of two evils; lie to an angel, or ensure the destruction of a child. The ritual was to awaken the demon...and because the priests tricked him into slaughtering innocent sacrifices, they corrupted Traft, which is better than just outright killing him (from the demon's point of view.) Then, after he called the angel, it was too late, and he was killed before the angel could help.

But the reason I love the story so much is because of the perfect interpretation of corruption. Which, you have to ask yourself; "which is more evil; to kill the holy, or to corrupt them?"
HOW TO AUTOCARD! When posting in a text box, type [c]Plains[/c] to make your post showPlains.
Are you making a casual mill deck? Please read.
Control is the key of a mill deck. You should free up your mana as much as possible so that you can respond to whatever your opponent is doing. Having some way to remove threats, both real and percieved, is necessary to survival. Real threats are those that are already on the field, and are something a simple unsummon or doom blade can remove. Percieved threats are those that aren't on the field, something a simple duress or counterspell can deal with. Controlling the board will allow your mill deck to continuously perform, if you use permanent style mill, that is. One-Shot Mill spells are something you should avoid. You can toss tome scours at your opponent until your hand runs out, but that isn't going to be enough to mill them to death. With 1-shot mill spells, like tome scour, you have to treat them like burn spells. Therefore, the only "good" 1-shot mill spells are sanity grinding (in the right deck) and mind funeral. Try to find more permanent styles of milling, like memory erosion, hedron crab, and curse of the bloody tome, so that you don't have to waste your mana each turn doing something that those permanents can do with a single mana/turn investment. Keeping your mana open allows you to respond with control elements. ​Traumatize Rant​. Traumatize is a terrible card for a multitude of reasons. First, it costs 5 to cast, which is a large investment for a mill deck. Milling half a library sounds neat, but if you do the math, it really isn't that much. An average 60 card deck starts with drawing 7 cards. Then, barring any draw spells on their end, or ramp on yours, 5 turns will go by, where they draw 5 more cards, leaving 48 in the deck. Unless they had a deck with more than 60 cards, or you ramped it out, the most you'll ever mill with a single Traumatize on turn 5 is 24 cards. That's not too shabby, but hang on, there's more! If they drew any additional cards or if they were milled before turn 5, that number will be much lower. In addition, any more Traumatize's you draw will only mill less and less as the game goes on...which is the point of a mill deck. My whole point on Traumatize is the it is NOT worth the 5 mana investment, not even with haunting echoes. You can mill more than 24 before turn 5...which you can then cast the echoes. If you look at a mill deck like a burn deck, you'll notice that it takes longer to win with mill than with burn. For example, lightning bolt costs 1 and does 3 out of the 20 damage needed to win (barring any lifegain or damage prevention). For mill, that same investment of 1 would have to mill 9 cards out of an average 60 card deck to be the equivilent of lightning bolt. The problem is that there is no mill card that can do that...except hedron crab, over a period of time. The initial investment of 1 will pay off in 3 more land drops to make the crab equal to a bolt. However, the crab nets you more mill beyond those 3 land drops, making it better as the game draws on. Other cards, like curse of the bloody tome, are excellent ways of milling an opponent because the initial investment of is all you have to pay in order to put your opponent on a clock. All you have to do is stay alive, which is the true goal of a mill strategy. There are other ideas for mill decks that are specific to certain types of strategies. Combo mill decks can mill an entire player's library out from under them. Secondary mill strategies are usually tied to another strategy, like drowner of secrets in a merfolk deck, or halimar excavator in an ally deck. Milling can be done in certain decks that are able to ramp out enough mana to make use of the higher costing mill spells, like using 16 post to pay for X on sands of delirium or for ambassador laquatus. Multiplayer mill decks are even tougher to build, but can be done. Being a slower environment, it is easier to ramp in multiplayer, allowing for big X spells, like mind grind, to be useful. Consuming aberration is another star player. The more straightforward strategy is to use mesmeric orb and dreamborn muse while being the only deck at the table that can deal with it. There are always new strategies coming out with each set, so check gatherer for any new mill cards that you find to be the most fun for you! Now you can say that you haven't fallen into the trap that most new players fall into when they build their first mill deck!

So that makes two of us.

Or three of us.

The short story was simply great.  Much of the angelic host has disappeared, perhaps because their ties were to Avacyn herself rather than the plane or the people.  Those that remain seem to be either fiercely protective (Angelic Overseer or Trest's guardian angel) or else fill some other purpose (Angel of Flight Alabaster).
Great story, great card, but it has spawned quite the discussion amongst my play group.  Would he get the benefits from Exalted?
Good article. Good story. Good card, at least from a gameplay perspective.

However, am I right in thinking that there's a cycle of mythic multicolored legendary creatures, one from each tribe, and this card is the Spirit in that cycle? Making it the equivalent of Grimgrin, Corpse-Born and Olivia Voldaren? If so, then sorry, but I'd say I'm really disappointed by it. The Geist has no tribal effects, nor even any synergy with its tribe as far as I can tell, unlike the other two. (I guess there might be some kind of "spirits like angels" theme, like with Angel of Flight Alabaster, but that would be kind of weird.) It's not a card you can really build around; hexproof means you can be more free about putting auras on it than other creatures, but other than that you just attack with it rather than doing anything clever. The fact that it's blue doesn't make sense with the story or with the Geist's other abilities, it's just blue because in Innistrad Spirits are blue and white, and Spirits are blue and white in Innistrad because they needed to put some tribe in that slot.

Well, it's good card and almost every cycle has at least one that makes the least sense (and for that matter maybe I'm jumping to conclusions about this being part of a cycle at all), but I hope the werewolf and human resemble Grimgrin or Olivia more than this guy.
Good article. Good story. Good card, at least from a gameplay perspective.

However, am I right in thinking that there's a cycle of mythic multicolored legendary creatures, one from each tribe, and this card is the Spirit in that cycle? Making it the equivalent of Grimgrin, Corpse-Born and Olivia Voldaren? If so, then sorry, but I'd say I'm really disappointed by it. The Geist has no tribal effects, nor even any synergy with its tribe as far as I can tell, unlike the other two. (I guess there might be some kind of "spirits like angels" theme, like with Angel of Flight Alabaster, but that would be kind of weird.) It's not a card you can really build around; hexproof means you can be more free about putting auras on it than other creatures, but other than that you just attack with it rather than doing anything clever. The fact that it's blue doesn't make sense with the story or with the Geist's other abilities, it's just blue because in Innistrad Spirits are blue and white, and Spirits are blue and white in Innistrad because they needed to put some tribe in that slot.

Well, it's good card and almost every cycle has at least one that makes the least sense (and for that matter maybe I'm jumping to conclusions about this being part of a cycle at all), but I hope the werewolf and human resemble Grimgrin or Olivia more than this guy.

The human is Mikaeus. The werewolf got pushed off into the next set. But yes, you are correct, there is a cycle. And I do agree that this card does not make sense being Blue, but I'm willing to accept it being Blue in order to have Hexproof.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c6f9e416e5e0e1f0a1e5c42b0c7b3e88.jpg?v=90000)
Great story, great card, but it has spawned quite the discussion amongst my play group.  Would he get the benefits from Exalted?

Tough question. I think it would because the angel token is not declared as an attacker, it just enters the battlefield tapped and attacking as a triggered effect. However, I'm not a judge and I haven't even looked that up (the Alara FAQ would be a good place to start), so don't take my word for it.

Tough question. I think it would because the angel token is not declared as an attacker, it just enters the battlefield tapped and attacking as a triggered effect. However, I'm not a judge and I haven't even looked that up (the Alara FAQ would be a good place to start), so don't take my word for it.

I'm saying he wouldn't.  The wording on Exalted is 'attacks alone', which he is not doing.  If the wording was 'is the only creature declared as an attacker', then he would. 

Nobody seems to be agreeing with me, though

[edit]Looks like I'm wrong:

* Some effects put creatures into play attacking. Since those creatures were never declared as attackers, they're ignored by exalted abilities. They won't cause exalted abilities to trigger. If any exalted abilities have already triggered (because exactly one creature was declared as an attacker), those abilities will resolve as normal even though there may now be multiple attackers.

^^^From the Alara FAQ

[/edit]
Look at it this way.  He did attack alone, he was just later joined by an angel that wanted to tag along.
Thanks to everyone who helped with the design of the plane of Golamo in the Great Designer Search 2!
My Decks
These are the decks I have assembled at the moment:
Tournament Decks (4)
Kicker Aggro (Invasion Block) Sunforger/Izzet Guildmage Midrange (Ravnica/Time Spiral/Xth Standard) Dragonstorm Combo (Time Spiral/Lorwyn/Xth Standard) Bant Midrange (Lorwyn/Shards/M10 Standard)
Casual Multiplayer Decks (50)
Angel Resurrection Casual Soul Sisters Sindbad's Adventures with Djinn of Wishes Sphinx-Bone Wand Buyback Morph (No Instants or Sorceries) Cabal Coffers Control Zombie Aggro Hungry, Hungry Greater Gargadon/War Elemental Flashfires/Boil/Ruination - Boom! Call of the Wild Teysa, Orzhov Scion with Twilight Drover, Sun Titan, and Hivestone Slivers Rebels Cairn Wanderer Knights Only Gold and () Spells Captain Sisay Toolbox Spellweaver Helix Combo Merfolk Wizards Izzet Guildmage/The Unspeakable Arcane Combo Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind and his Wizards Creatureless Wild Research/Reins of Power Madness Creatureless Pyromancer Ascension Anarchist Living Death Anvil of Bogardan Madness Shamen with Goblin Game/Wound Reflection Combo Mass damage Quest for Pure Flame Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle/Clear the Land with 40+ Lands Doubling Season Thallids Juniper Order Ranger Graft/Tokens Elf Archer Druids Equilibrium/Aluren Combo Experiment Kraj Combo Reap Combo False Cure/Kavu Predator Combo Savra, Queen of the Golgari Sacrifice/Dredge Elf Warriors Eight-Post Sneak Attack Where Ancients Tread Zur the Enchanter with Opal creatures Tamanoa/Kavu Predator/Collapsing Borders Esper Aggro Mishra, Artificer Prodigy and his Darksteel Reactor Theft and Control Unearth Aggro Soul's Fire Vampires Devour Tokens Phytohydra with Powerstone Minefield Treefolk Friendly? Questing Phelddagrif Slivers Dragon Arch Fun I'm probably forgetting a few...
The human is Mikaeus. The werewolf got pushed off into the next set. But yes, you are correct, there is a cycle. And I do agree that this card does not make sense being Blue, but I'm willing to accept it being Blue in order to have Hexproof.

Ugh. I'm really hoping a WG Van Helsing is also pushed into a later set, because I was really looking forward to a WG Legendary Human Mythic.
The demonic plan here was to kill two birds with one stone : accomplish the ritual to release Withengar’s essence without angelic interference, devilishly using Traft, a mortal enemy of the demons, to do it, while killing that mortal enemy at the same time. This is a vile, cunning plan, and in my opinion, makes for an excellent short story. The lie to the angel is not what’s important here : it only serves to show us Traft’s heroism in wanting to protect the girl. As for the dagger, it’s a sacrificial dagger enchanted with demon magic and it needed to be used. Killing the cultists in an other manner would not have worked. That they placed the dagger in Traft’s hand adds good spice to the story. With that said, it is possible that the ritual could have worked if Traft wasn’t the one doing the killings, and I would have liked it if we were clearly told that the dagger being in goodly hands actually helped the ritual, but I wouldn’t have added anything else. Best short story on Savor the Flavor yet, IMO.

Huh, that makes sense.  I guess I was too distracted by the "I decided to lie to an angel unecessarily, so clearly this must be the work of demons!" to really pay attention to the rest of the story.

So the story is about a bunch of demons outwitting their enemy.  I suppose that's fairly interesting in its own right, but it just doesn't strike me as a tragic horror story.
Lovely flavor. So he rides into battle and dies. Because, lets face it, 2/2 Hexproof isn't a real bomb.

Rather useless without enchantments, sundial, equipment etc. Cheap Mythic. Or some sacrifice effects, or 187 effects.

Liked the story though and like the flavor. 
Look at it this way.  He did attack alone, he was just later joined by an angel that wanted to tag along.

Except for the "was" part.

Not only does the Angel token not attack, but it doesn't even exist at the time exalted triggers.  If abilities could trigger based on what was going to happen in the future, we would be dealing with all kinds of time paradoxes.

Except for the "was" part.

Not only does the Angel token not attack, but it doesn't even exist at the time exalted triggers.  If abilities could trigger based on what was going to happen in the future, we would be dealing with all kinds of time paradoxes.

That would be awesome though! Think of all the fun designs!

Show
Precognitive Countermage   
Creature - Wizard
Flash
When Precognitive Countermage enters the battlefield, if target opponent is going to cast a spell any time soon, counter that spell pre-emptively.
1/1

I love all the people calling it a cheap mythic, worst of the cycle, useless without Sundial, etc. There's a reason it's a 15 dollar card and was at 20 for a while, people. Probably the 5th best card in the set.