2012 Product Release Schedule

147 posts / 0 new
Last post
RPG PRODUCTS (PLAYERS' BOOKS, DM BOOKS, MINIATURES, DUNGEON TILES, ETC.)

"Ah, the age-old conundrum. Defenders of a game are too blind to see it's broken, and critics are too idiotic to see that it isn't." - Brian McCormick

D&D RELATED PRODUCTS (NOVELS, BOARDGAMES, ETC.

"Ah, the age-old conundrum. Defenders of a game are too blind to see it's broken, and critics are too idiotic to see that it isn't." - Brian McCormick

Alright, next year's thread is open! Anyone have any links for products?

I'd like to see another Monster Manual or Monster Vault product (can't get enough monsters), a couple of dungeon tiles sets, one full random miniatures set like we've seen in the past, a special Dark Sun miniatures set for all those weird critters we don't have minis for and quite a few adventures.  I'd also like to see one good new campaign product - either a hardback or two like we saw with Realms, Eberron, Dark Sun and Neverwinter or in the form of a full boxed set, bigger than the Shadowfell set.  I think I'd like to see an original setting and not a redo of Dragonlance, Ravenloft or Mystara (as much as I particularly like the latter).

L
Dungeoneer's Handbook

Do you know what this book is about? I'm not sure whether I file it under Players or DMs. 

It's a handbook not a guide. Therefore players.
D&D is like religion. People focus far too much on the differences rather than the similarities.

D&D RELATED PRODUCTS (NOVELS, BOARDGAMES, ETC.)

On one of the filler pages of the third book in the series Brotherhood of the Griffon, a fourth book is mentioned which is to be published in February 2012, 'Masked Witches' and this is available for advance order at Amazon.

Also, available for advance order at Amazon, is 'Eye of the Chined God (Abyssal Plague III)'

Also, Greenwood continues the tale of Elminster in 'Elminster Enraged', due out in August 2012.

Also, Paul S. Kemp is expected to unveil the much anticipated 'Cycle of Night' trilogy, with 'Godborn' and 'Godbound' being published this spring and fall, respectively.

I'd also like to see one good new campaign product - either a hardback or two like we saw with Realms, Eberron, Dark Sun and Neverwinter or in the form of a full boxed set, bigger than the Shadowfell set.  I think I'd like to see an original setting and not a redo of Dragonlance, Ravenloft or Mystara (as much as I particularly like the latter).

This. As much as I love official conversions of old material to 4E (very fond of Dark Sun 4E, myself), I want to see Wizards come up with something new and different.

Right now they have dark fantasy (Dark Sun), high fantasy (Greyhawk/core), steampunk/magipunk (Eberron), and post-apocalyptic fantasy (Forgotten Realms). What they don't have is primitive fantasy (e.g. stone age/bronze age), sci-fantasy (e.g., Dragonstar), historical fantasy (e.g.,  Rome), or contemporary fantasy (e.g., Harry Potter). Would be interesting to see an original setting based in one of those genres.

Also, available for advance order at Amazon, is 'Eye of the Chined God (Abyssal Plague III)'

Eye of the Chained God
I'd like to thank whomever participated in getting this thread stickied!

Anyone know what this is?

Dungeons & Dragons Volume 2: First Encounters

The second compilation of the IDW D&D comics; the first is this one.

While expensive, its a great compilation, of the size of the PHBs (hardcover), which it probably tries to emulate, since normal tpb or HCs of comics arent as big.

It also has two game encounters, based on scenes from the comics; the story and art have been very good as well, recommended.

Ah! Thanks, pruano. I can't believe that I've not come across these before now!
Here are some previews from IDW D&D #4 and #5.
OMG! Only two books!?! 5e is so coming!!!!

Sorry. I couldn't resist.

I jokingly thought the same, but:

.... this still feels like a normal year's release. 3.X release schedule had that same feel from 2004 onward. I mean ... Stormwrack?

Eberron was the last major 3.X release that didn't start to feel like they were transitioning to a new edition.

I'd say if they release another campaign setting next year -- i.e. FR/Eberron/Dark Sun/Neverwinter -- then we're fine for 2012.

Book of the Nine Swords was the death knell of 3.5.

When we see a book like that hit 4E, we'll know 5E is on the way.
Updated for GenCon previews.

Question: How do people feel about me listing e-books on this schedule? I know that not a lot of people care about novels, but I want to be complete. However, I feel no need to count DDI articles and I'd really like to stick to physical product that would be sold in stores. Anyone object?

Eberron was the last major 3.X release that didn't start to feel like they were transitioning to a new edition.

Which, ironically, influenced 4ed in many key ways: removing alignment from dragons, making the PCs matter instead of NPCs, creating regions of obviously different tiers, etc.  

Book of the Nine Swords was the death knell of 3.5.

When we see a book like that hit 4E, we'll know 5E is on the way.

What would that even look like? If it were a more dramatic departure than Psionics or the Essentials Martial classes, I couldn't imagine it. 

Updated for GenCon previews.

Question: How do people feel about me listing e-books on this schedule? I know that not a lot of people care about novels, but I want to be complete. However, I feel no need to count DDI articles and I'd really like to stick to physical product that would be sold in stores. Anyone object?

Agreed.

I really wish they would bring out more Dungeon Delve books and Monster Manuals.
Updated the list for all things we know are coming out.

Updated the list for all things we know are coming out.

Missing this:

The Urban Underdark - Dungeon Tiles
I really wish they would bring out more Dungeon Delve books and Monster Manuals.

if the monster manuals were done properly instead of repeating pages in mm2 and 3 with monsters from mm1 ans 2 I'd agree.

monster classes in the back would have done better. 
a mask everyone has at least two of, one they wear in public and another they wear in private.....
Minor Quibble: Dungeoneer's Handbook is called "Dungeon Explorer's Guide – Into the Unknown" on the page, and the image calls it "Into the Unknown – Dungeon Survival Handbook".  Neither are "Dungeoneer's Handbook."

Also, do I spy Shugenja for my Monk on the Elemental Heroes page?

Before posting, why not ask yourself, What Would Wrecan Say?

IMAGE(http://images.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/user/marandahir/thumb/9ac5d970f3a59330212c73baffe4c556.png?v=90000)

A great man once said "If WotC put out boxes full of free money there'd still be people complaining about how it's folded." – Boraxe

Updated for new Map Pack in July. It's about the Underdark, just like the Dungeon Tiles set in June.

I would say Lords of Madness was the last quality book they printed for 3.5, before they started publishing their experiments for 4e or just sub-quality books.

I am curious to see what the special campaign they talked about is all about. 4e is far more malleable then previous editions simply because of their errata policy. Essentials is a 4.something. They can do this for quite sometimes before switching to 5e.

But then again the VT is editionless, so once it is up they could switch to 5e without losing all the cash they invested on it.

Lords of Madness was a great sourcebook. As for the last best parts of 3.5 I think it was two adventures --- it was the Red Hand of Doom (2006) and the Expedition to Castle Greyhawk (2007).

I still use both products to this very day in my 4e games -- mostly as guides for how to develop/pace adventure design.

Sadly, those were diamonds in the rough of the 2004-2008 releases.

How likely is a DM 3 book? I'm in Paragon, and I am trying to play the final arc that takes us into Epic. A DM guide for Epic campaigns would be very helpful!
oh man no kind of list of new minis i'm pretty sure there be some kind of miniatures for rpg coming out in 2012
How likely is a DM 3 book? I'm in Paragon, and I am trying to play the final arc that takes us into Epic. A DM guide for Epic campaigns would be very helpful!

Don't think they ruled this out but when it came time for this to come out, they decided that so few campaigns were at epic that it wasn't worth producing at that point. It may still happen.

On another note, anyone have any theories beyond the usual 5E speculation about why next year's schedule is so sparse. This doesn't look good to me.  
On another note, anyone have any theories beyond the usual 5E speculation about why next year's schedule is so sparse. This doesn't look good to me.  

Dont see it; lets look at the numbers:

1st trimester 2011

- 1 tileset

- 1 accessory (reprint, the Deluxe DM Screen)

- 1 adventure (Gamma World, so not really 4th Ed.)

- 1 box set (Gamma World)

- 1 boardgame

- 1 set fortune cards

1st trimester 2012

- 1 accessory

- 1 game supplement

- 1 boardgame

- 1 set fortune cards

2nd trimester 2011

- 3 game supplements

- 1 tile set

- 1 boardgame

2nd trimester 2012 (not complete)

- 2 game supplements (the Undermountain supplement was previously a beautiful box set, now a hardcover)

- 2 tile sets

Lets not forget the minis that were announced but not scheduled yet (although i doubt there wouldnt be a 1st semester release).

Also, the Encounters seasons continue and there is the new Lair Assault.

Not that different from last year...

Was in the works, got cancelled.

Never played at Epic level, but heard that the Sly Flourish Epic Guide is good (and the price is very good); do recomend the DM Tips guide, though (which i do have and read every chapter).

Dont see it; lets look at the numbers:

1st trimester 2011

- 1 tileset

- 1 accessory (reprint, the Deluxe DM Screen)

- 1 adventure (Gamma World, so not really 4th Ed.)

- 1 box set (Gamma World)

- 1 boardgame

- 1 set fortune cards

1st trimester 2012

- 1 accessory

- 1 game supplement

- 1 boardgame

- 1 set fortune cards

2nd trimester 2011

- 3 game supplements

- 1 tile set

- 1 boardgame

2nd trimester 2012 (not complete)

- 2 game supplements (the Undermountain supplement was previously a beautiful box set, now a hardcover)

- 2 tile sets

Lets not forget the minis that were announced but not scheduled yet (although i doubt there wouldnt be a 1st semester release).

Also, the Encounters seasons continue and there is the new Lair Assault.

Not that different from last year...

I agree it's not that different from this year but as at Gen Con 2010, we had most of this year at least pencilled in and I don't really think the product schedule for this year was impressive. Now, we are almost at the begninning of the year and I can spot perhaps two products I'm likely to buy in the first six months whereas when 4E launched  (and through 2009 and 2010) I was spotting at least one a month I wanted to buy.

I'm disappointed mainly as this is generally the pattern when an edition winds down (although I'm not convinced that that is what is happening) and when 4E started I liked the idea of a PHB. DMG,MM and Campaign Setting every year. That formula lasted a year and then was abandoned.

I agree it's not that different from this year but as at Gen Con 2010, we had most of this year at least pencilled in and I don't really think the product schedule for this year was impressive. Now, we are almost at the begninning of the year and I can spot perhaps two products I'm likely to buy in the first six months whereas when 4E launched  (and through 2009 and 2010) I was spotting at least one a month I wanted to buy.

I'm disappointed mainly as this is generally the pattern when an edition winds down (although I'm not convinced that that is what is happening)

Well, that is a personal opinion; myself, i find the current product listing much more appealing than last years, where i basically bought 1 product during the first semester (Heroes of Shadow).

and when 4E started I liked the idea of a PHB. DMG,MM and Campaign Setting every year. That formula lasted a year and then was abandoned.

That rhythm could not last, i think, considering that the last edition (3+3.5) had a 8 year life.

Also, there are the psycological effect of having a long winded series of core books, it gives a perceived idea of an expensive buy-in.

Regarding the PHB, the new Player Options books that are coming out fill that slot; for the MM, the MV were released (although several monsters were reprints and the second one more of a setting monster guide).

Regarding the settings, while i was looking forward (and consequently desapointed by the cancelation of) the Ravenloft setting, i understand (and agree with) about not releasing too many settings, and instead supporting those that have been with further companion guides.

Finally, lets not forget the current (and long winded) economic worldwide problems, which will necessarily be reflected in the output.

What? Still no FeyWild boxed campaign set to go with Heroes of the FeyWild? Heroes of Shadow got the Gloomwrought box, why can't the FeyWild get one?
HotFW has a lot of useful info on the Feywild. As such, it functions as an ad-hoc one.

Frankly, I imagine that marketing cringes every time the designers want to make a product based around Faeries. It doesn't have that sellout factor that Dragons or Demons have. Hopefully, once we've gone through boxed sets for the 9 Hells and the Abyss, we might be thrown a bone.  

oh man no kind of list of new minis i'm pretty sure there be some kind of miniatures for rpg coming out in 2012

My guess is that it takes a long time to make a set of miniatures, so if a set of D&D minis were to come out it would be sometime late in 2012.

Oh, don't forget about the Pathfinder miniatures due out in January 2012.
HotFW has a lot of useful info on the Feywild. As such, it functions as an ad-hoc one.

Frankly, I imagine that marketing cringes every time the designers want to make a product based around Faeries. It doesn't have that sellout factor that Dragons or Demons have. Hopefully, once we've gone through boxed sets for the 9 Hells and the Abyss, we might be thrown a bone.  

I used to play Heroclix. They had to have things set in stone with the manufacturer about 6 months ahead of the release, IIRC (for a ~60 piece set). It might be that it just hasn't been announced to us yet and it's still coming.
www.amazon.com/Menzoberranzan-City-Intri...

Let me hazard a guess. It's both a follow up on Neverwinter nights (after all there was a drow faction in it) and maybe the new way to play there were talking about at last gen con. A way that includes more stealth and intrigue than brawls. (I could be wrong, especially in light of the fact there was talk of dragons in the hints given in the gen con seminar, and I don't really see them fit on an underground city... wait and see I suppose). I'm in anyway.
Updated for Menzoberranzen and confirmation for "Elminster Enraged".

My guess is that it takes a long time to make a set of miniatures, so if a set of D&D minis were to come out it would be sometime late in 2012.

Amazon listings appeared for those, starting mid-2012:

Dungeon Command: Heroes: A Dungeons & Dragons Expansion Pack (D&D Miniatures Product) - July

Dungeon Command: Drow: A Dungeons & Dragons Expansion Pack (D&D Miniatures Product) - July

Dungeon Command: Goblins: A Dungeons & Dragons Expansion Pack (D&D Miniatures Product) - August

Wonder how many minis will there be in each expansion.

The minis are also part of the new skirmish game (apparently called Dungeon Command), announced at GenCon.

Sign In to post comments