How hard is it to NOT crack open a booster?

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
This is the challenge.  Get a booster pack, and while retaining posession of it, do not open it.  I want to see how long you can last before your curiosity takes over.

Got some boosters from Ravnica and Time Spiral blocks many years ago, and a couple years later, I opened them, because I was just too curious what's inside.

My sister has a 6th edition booster from when 6th edition was very new.  I now have ownership of it, but I never opened it.  Maybe I still had the feeling that it wasn't mine in the first place, and it's sixth edition.  Nothing is to be expected from sixth edition.

I also tried to not open the booster pack that came with the first intro pack I bought since I stopped collecting theme decks.  That didn't last long.

So if somehow you obtained one booster pack from any set, and it is yours to keep, is it difficult for you to hold onto the urge of opening that pack?
Nah Nah Nah... Nah Nah Nah... SPORTSCENTER... THE PLACE FOR SPORTS
Sixth Ed had Wrath in it, among other things.  Not a terrible set for it's day. 

The longest I've gone was until getting home from the retail store.

If it's a game shop like Ancient Wonders, I crack it right there.
Aarrgh, he just hit me in the nards with a TV DINNER! -actual phone conversation
122343719 wrote:
I can't really understand people that just go along with the school, job, marrige, kids type goals in life because that is what they think is right. If people want those things they should want them because it makes them happy. I had an ex like that, she wanted those things because her family and her peers all wanted those things. Thinking for yourself is one of the greatest things you are capable of.
500th post- 3/15/11 1000th post- 4/7/12
If the booster is Homelands?
A loooooong time...
~ Guides I Have Been Silly Enough To Write ~
Budget Duals and Fetches in Multiplayer
CadaverousBl00m's Guide To Multiplayer Artifice
Multiplayer Tribal Format

~ Latest Multiplayer Ramblings: Appearing on my blog when I feel like it ~
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Rise of the Eldrazi Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Worldwake Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Zendikar Post-Rotation
Previous Multiplayer Concoctions
Elemental, My Dear Watson (Rainbow Elementals)
Watch The Little Birdies! (Bird Tribal with Proliferate)
Kavu Kavu Kavu Banana (Kavu Predator aggro)
Faerie Bleeder (The "Death By A Thousand Cuts" Faerie deck)
Braaiiins! (Mono-black Zombie control)
Verhexterring (Jinxed Ring / Grave Pact)
Flourishing Blowflies ( -1/-1 Counters)
If the booster is Homelands?
A loooooong time...

But then again, you wouldn't even buy it in the first place, which defeats the parameter of retaining posession of it.
I've got one each of the Mirran and Phyrexian faction boosters from the MBS prerelease (given to me by the shop owner after the tournament for setting up and running the event for him) that I've never opened.  Aside from that, though, I think the longest I've lasted is about a week, when I won 20 packs of WWK for winning that prerelease.  A week later I opened one (one) of them and got a Mind Sculptor, I don't think the rest lasted even until the end of that day.
MTG Rules Advisor since 2007-06-27. Amateur MTG rules nerd since forever. Download the official rules and more at wizards.com/magic/rules -[ IronMagus' New Marketplace Trade Thread ]- 100+ completed trades!
Is a reason to not open boosters is because sealed boosters are more valuable over time than the most valuable card?
This is the challenge.  Get a booster pack, and while retaining posession of it, do not open it.  I want to see how long you can last before your curiosity takes over.

Why?
I don't forsee it being that difficult to do. It's not uncommon for me to find a booster pack that I didn't bother to open while opening many packs, and simply forgetting about it. And aren't there some card-hoarding, secondary-market-driving folks out there that gave themselves this same challenge back in 1994 and are still going strong?

Orzhova Witness

Restarting Quotes Block
58086748 wrote:
58335208 wrote:
Disregard women acquire chase rares.
There are a lot of dudes for whom this is not optional.
97820278 wrote:
144532521 wrote:
How;s a 2 drop 1/2, Flying broken? What am I missing?
You're missing it because *turns Storm Crows sideways* all your base are belong to Chuck Norris and every other overused meme ever.
So if somehow you obtained one booster pack from any set, and it is yours to keep, is it difficult for you to hold onto the urge of opening that pack?

I don't have any problems not opening packs. In fact, I have 3 full unopened boxes plus another 48 packs from random sets sitting at home. Packs I win I either lump into the pile of packs I have or if they're Core Set packs I open those.

I'm saving the packs for a chaos draft and Core Set packs feel out of place in that kind of draft.
I often keep half opened booster boxes lying around. I like to save them to draft with whenever I have friends over. About the only pack I can't resist opening is one from Future Sight. Too many great cards were in that set to let the opportunity of getting one slip by.
*turns his head to look at the six sealed boxes and one box's worth of loose packs sitting on his desk*

No, not at all. My local store lets me enter tournaments by paying boosters into the prize pool rather than spending money, so the more packs I leave sealed, the more Magic I can play. In fact, I had to start forcing myself to open any boosters I win as prizes, because otherwise I'd never crack packs at all.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

YOU KNOW YOUR ADDICTED TO MTG WHEN

jk
Anyway, I think I would do fine. I never trust my luck.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

I used to keep around a pack of Time Spiral that I kept promising myself that I would be allowed to open if I did this and that. Basically did the whole stick and carrot routine on myself. I think I finally opened it after a month or two, at which point it had done its job multiple times.

Then one time I bought three prize boosters off someone who finished top8 in the Zendikar prerelease. It was done on a whim and I soon regretted it. I held on to the packs a while until I finally sold them. Each one was opened in front of me - one contained a Lotus Cobra. Oh well.

L1 Judge

Dang it now I feel like I need to see how long it takes me to open my box if Innistrad. ;_;
If I come in to a large number of packs at any point I will likely hold them off for draft.  I have a problem holding on to those 5-6 packs I win at FNMs because I have to wait 3 weeks to get a decent draft set going which sucks.

Got some boosters from Ravnica and Time Spiral blocks many years ago, and a couple years later, I opened them, because I was just too curious what's inside.

My sister has a 6th edition booster from when 6th edition was very new.  I now have ownership of it, but I never opened it.  Maybe I still had the feeling that it wasn't mine in the first place, and it's sixth edition.  Nothing is to be expected from sixth edition.

I also tried to not open the booster pack that came with the first intro pack I bought since I stopped collecting theme decks.  That didn't last long.

Indefinitely.

I don't open packs unless I seal, draft or mini master them.  By opening them, you just take away all those opportunities.

I always have unopened packs lying around at any given time. I have a lorwyn one that I haven't touched since release. Actually, I have 10 M12 boosters that I can see from here
What phaseshifter said.  "I think I will open this booster and see if I happened to get one of the few valuable cards in the set" is a way less appealing proposition to me than "I think that I will use these boosters to do a draft with a bunch of friends, thereby having at least three hours of fun".

"Go, then. There are other worlds than these." -- Stephen King, The Gunslinger

Please feel free to copy this message into your sig.

The longest i'v gone is I waited a week to crack my NPH fat pack. But that was just so my playgroup could all crack our fatpacks together. We only play on Thursday, Release is on Friday, So yeah. I'm not sure how much it counts though since I made do by buying some NPH packs to tide myself over.
Q: Why do Vikings love bad puns? A: Because they **** and pillage your ears. I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both instinctive and emotional. I value my own instincts and desires, and either ignore or crush anything that stands in my way; planning and foresight are unnecessary. At best, I'm determined and fierce; at worst, I'm headstrong and infantile.
I can never wait to open up any boosters I get, I always hope that there is some chase rare in it.
@Glasir; I always wonderd how you did that, do you just give them the packs, or do they pay for them?

Thank you for Reading? 
I think the longest I went was a couple months.  A couple years back, the higher ups gave the magic VCLs some packs as a thank you, so I thought I'd hold out on opening them on the off chance I could use them to play sealed or something.  I gave in, so I now have a couple of plastic bags filled with Eventide cards.

I don't even get packs very often, though.  Any packs I get are won as prizes or from a pre-release or something.  I rarely buy them any more since I'd rather buy singles.
Come check out my friend's youtube channel where he gives bad movies what's coming to them!
You Make the Card
Best Contest Holder 2010 YMtC Idol 9 4th Place
Mafia History
Friendliest Player 2010 Werewolves Invade YMtC!: Town-aligned Rotworm Mass, Survived, Mafia Victory Heroes Mafia: Angela Petrelli, Town-Aligned Undercover Revengeful Mother, Win for Me, Mafia Victory Super Smash Bros. Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Survived, Town Victory Bear Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Lynched Day 1, Mafia Victory YMtC Mafia II: Henry-Stern, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Town Victory, Town MVP Time Fracture Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Nero, the Last Romulan, Lynched Day 3, Borg Victory Touhou Mafia III: Tenshi Hinani, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Mafia 2010: Lynched Day 1, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Dragonball Z Mafia: Goku, Town-Aligned Charismatic Townie, Mafia Victory Quarantined Mafia: Lynched Day 4, J. Walter Weatherman, Infected-Aligned Administrative Assistant, Mr. T (so basically mafia) Victory Glass Box Mafia: Killed Night 2, Icthys, Town-Aligned Networker, Town Victory Battle Royale Mafia: Killed Night 3, Zipperflesh and Dark Stryke Victory Scars of Mirrodin Mafia: Killed Night 3, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Mafia Victory Portal Mafia: Lynched Day 3, Test Subject #2, Mafia-Aligned Rolestopper, Town Victory (that was utter BS) Toxic Waste Mafia: Survived, Violet, Hive (Cult)-Aligned Powerless Taskmaster, Hive Victory PK Hatez You Mafia: Survived, Town-Aligned Goth, Mafia Victory Dreven City: A Wild West Mafia: Town-Aligned "Los Angeles" Reed, One-Shot Vig, Survived, Town Victory (just barely, major props to Just a Cleric) YMtC Mafia III: Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Vampire Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Pander, Mafia Victory Touhou Border Collapse: Bill Cosby, Town-Aligned, Killed Night 1, Mafia Victory Harry Potter Mafia: Argus Filch, Town-Aligned Tracker, Lynched Day 5, Mafia Victory [Basic #5] Bandit Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Borderlands Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory eBay Mafia: Mafia-Aligned, Survived, Mafia Victory Full Metal Alchemist Mafia: Alphonse Elric, Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory Sunflowers for Ragnarokio: Lynched Day 3, Town/Just a Cleric/Tevish Szat/Faux-Razor Victory True Blood Mafia: Lynched Day 4, Mafia Victory My Mafia Diary: Skyhunter, Mafia-Aligned Emo, Survived, Flawless Mafia Victory Paper Mario Mafia: Blue Goomba, Town-Aligned Lover, Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Small Town Mafia: Pigsticker Mafia-Aligned Coward, Killed Night 2, Caveman Mafia and Zipperflesh Victory Stuff on my Desk Mafia: Lotus Cobra, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Order of the Chaos Rose Mafia: Lord Dagol Ji'Lovik, Town-Aligned Hypnotist, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Camp Crystal Lake Mafia: Ongoing A Certain Magical Mafia: Killed Night 1, Town-Aligned The Siege of Balignor Mafia: Ongoing, Killed Day 4 Mafia of Ancient Egypt: Replaced in for Murica day 2, Ra, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Town Victory, Town MVP Lord of the Rings Mafia: Replaced in for Dr Demento, Town-Aligned Mason/One-Shot Self-Doc, Town Victory, Town MVP Internet Stars Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Mythos Mafia: Ongoing
I love cracking boosters so it would not take me very long. It is even hard for me not to open them on the way home .
I'll usually wait a few days to open them...I suppose I like to savor the moment.

Of course nothing beats the smell of a freshly opened booster!  
Follow my blogs! NOTES FROM THE SHADOWFELL -RPGs, TCGs/CCGs, Comics, etc. BEYOND THE AGONY -Horror and metal!

Of course nothing beats the smell of a freshly opened booster!  

It's just like new book smell.
Two years ago, I found a pack of Exodus in my closet. Cracked a Hatred.
Eh, I had trouble resisting the temptation at the first limited tourney I went to. Today, I limit my no-cracking rule, pardon the pun, to boxes I intend to use for limited.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt