[WoA] Come Learn AND PLAY Wrath Of Ashardalon In This Video Series

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
In August I began a little experiment in presenting board gaming play through video in a relatively unique way.  I chose a game with strong theme and invited 4 players to submit moves, which I would record, role play and resolve, all the while teaching the game, and creating an episodic story.

I by no means created an overnight YouTube sensation, but our little video series did rise in popularity, and stretched over 20 episodes.

My first efforts were quite amateur, but I tapped into something in gaming media that just doesn’t seem to be out there right now.  Unlike reviews of games (of which there are many excellent sources), my series, though a bigger commitment for the viewer, really takes them inside the game, and lets them experience what it would be like to play the game in the closest way possible I can think of, without actually owning the game.

After the (relative) success of the first video series, I have started a new channel, and upgraded the look for my next play through and I am currently running a Wrath of Ashardalon game.  This time around, all the viewers on the channel are invited at the end of each video to submit their ideas for how a Hero in the game should act.  We then pick one of the submissions, give credit to that viewer and see what happens.  Now we are allowing all of our viewers to feel like participants, not just a select few.

Here’s a recent episode: www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jF1w0naYGE

I start by ansering some viewer questions and correcting any mistakes we made with rules (seeing the mistakes made and corrected seems to be help viewers too, because it helps them avoid the same mistakes we sometimes make!).

My videos are more of an interactive demonstration of a game.  I run one video at the beginning to outline the rules, then a second video to show setup, and then we begin play, until an adventure is completed.  In this manner, unlike a review, the viewer’s really get to experience the game.  Not just by seeing how the rules work, but by being active participants in the outcome.  Plus, I conduct the videos with my kids, and make the whole affair a friendly, fun (and sometimes funny) affair.

Anyway, I thought some of you might be interested in seeing this series and joining in.
Good deal, I started a thread about your videos too, keep up the good work!
In August I began a little experiment in presenting board gaming play through video in a relatively unique way.  I chose a game with strong theme and invited 4 players to submit moves, which I would record, role play and resolve, all the while teaching the game, and creating an episodic story.

I by no means created an overnight YouTube sensation, but our little video series did rise in popularity, and stretched over 20 episodes.

My first efforts were quite amateur, but I tapped into something in gaming media that just doesn’t seem to be out there right now.  Unlike reviews of games (of which there are many excellent sources), my series, though a bigger commitment for the viewer, really takes them inside the game, and lets them experience what it would be like to play the game in the closest way possible I can think of, without actually owning the game.

After the (relative) success of the first video series, I have started a new channel, and upgraded the look for my next play through and I am currently running a Wrath of Ashardalon game.  This time around, all the viewers on the channel are invited at the end of each video to submit their ideas for how a Hero in the game should act.  We then pick one of the submissions, give credit to that viewer and see what happens.  Now we are allowing all of our viewers to feel like participants, not just a select few.

Here’s a recent episode: www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jF1w0naYGE

I start by ansering some viewer questions and correcting any mistakes we made with rules (seeing the mistakes made and corrected seems to be help viewers too, because it helps them avoid the same mistakes we sometimes make!).

My videos are more of an interactive demonstration of a game.  I run one video at the beginning to outline the rules, then a second video to show setup, and then we begin play, until an adventure is completed.  In this manner, unlike a review, the viewer’s really get to experience the game.  Not just by seeing how the rules work, but by being active participants in the outcome.  Plus, I conduct the videos with my kids, and make the whole affair a friendly, fun (and sometimes funny) affair.

Anyway, I thought some of you might be interested in seeing this series and joining in.

Hi Rodney!

Picked up LOD to play with my wife and your video series was +100 helpful in learning the game system. Never could get her to like D&D, but she is really enjoying LOD.

Thanks so much for your efforts!
Hey - great to hear you found it helpful!  Thanks.
Sign In to post comments