How hard is it to get Garruk Primal Hunter and how good is he?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
The title says it all, I just got him in my first deck ever.
What do you mean?

You can get any card you like by trading for it.
He's not too hard, if you just buy directly, but at that point, it's whether or not you can afford it with whatever budget you're given. On average I see him selling in shops for $30 up here in Canada. If you're talking about just random packs, you could open 3 boxes for instance and not open one Garruk.

He's good in green ramp decks, and another absurdly good planeswalker with Doubling Season, which unfortunately is also extra costly now due to Modern.  
He's not too hard, if you just buy directly, but at that point, it's whether or not you can afford it with whatever budget you're given. On average I see him selling in shops for $30 up here in Canada. If you're talking about just random packs, you could open 3 boxes for instance and not open one Garruk.

He's good in green ramp decks, and another absurdly good planeswalker with Doubling Season, which unfortunately is also extra costly now due to Modern.  

Thank you for telling me, what I meant to say is I already got him, from a booster pack that came with my first deck ever, I just wanted to know if I was extremely lucky getting him or if he's in a whole bunch of green decks, but thank you for telling me my other question too.
If you found him in your first booster, I'd say you got pretty lucky. Mythic Rare cards are Mythic Rare for a reason, ^_^. I'm brand new to MTGO and bought a few boosters, and haven't found an MR yet. I've been playing the real cards for about a month and it has taken me about 20 boosters to finally get my first Mythic Rare which was a Chandra from a 2012 booster. So yeah, you're pretty lucky to find a Planeswalker..especially a Garruk. 
New players... don't open booster packs!  Not online, anyway.  Twenty M12 packs would cost about $80, one Chandra goes for $8 (online prices, paper is different).  If you have packs, sell them and buy the cards you want.  Or use them to draft because then you might win more packs.

/psa
On average, a mythic appears in place of the rare in one of every 8 packs.  (very slightly more if you figure in foils).  With sets generally having 12-15 mythic cards, you can do the math.  I've heard that it's around 121 packs for a specific mythic to appear, which sounds about right.  So yeah...it was a lucky pack and is a great card.  Congratulations on your great start and good luck with mtgo =)

It's the other way around.  The '1 in every 8 packs' figure is the estimate, the '121 packs for a given mythic' figure is exact.  For a large set, there are 121 slots on the rare sheet - each of the fifteen mythics is printed once, each of the fifty-three rares are printed twice.

Therefore, if you open a sufficiently large sample of packs, you will tend to open one of every mythic (and two of every rare) in 121 packs. 

No mythic is any more or less likely to appear than any other mythic in the same set.
He's one of the best cards you can open in an m12 pack.