Tournament Stories- September

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Change is in the air! a new points system, Innistrad prereleaes in two weeks, the (third) death of caw blade (alledgedly). Time to see how well your FNMs went

And you can Calculate the points you get too! I'll show you!

FNM (x3) 45 players. I start the night at 2567 PWP, 33 short of Level 35

My Deck: BR Control
Decklist

Lands
4 Inkmoth Nexus
4 Dragonskull Summit
3 Blackcleave Cliffs
14 Swamp

Little Guys
4 Gatekeeper of Malakir
4 Phyrexian Crusader
3 Vampire Nighthawk

Big Guys
2 Grave Titan
2 Wurmcoil Engine
1 Batterskull
1 Liliana Vess

Spells
4 Inquisition of Kozilek
2 Despise
3 Sign in Blood
3 Dismember
3 Lightning Bolt
3 Go For the Throat

Sideboard
3 Surgical Extraction
3 Crush
2 Doom Blade
2 Duress
2 Slagstorm
1 Massacre Wurm
1 Consume the Meek
1 Black Sun's Zenith

Round 1: Illusions

He went to go get food and came back like 20 minutes late, so the TO had already dished out a win for me. Being a decent fellow, we played for fun anyways, but the matchup went about how you think. I run 9 targeted removal spells plus three sac outlets, he has a bunch of guys that die easily. It was a pretty easy match, and I feel confident that even with marginal draws I would have won the round.

1-0 (2-0, +9 PWP, 18PWP for the night)

Round 2: Caw Blade

Everybody here has played against Silver Bullet Man, right? Every spell you could ever want to resolve either doesn't, or does and then dies, or etc. etc. Well that's what happened here, both games.

Sideboarding
-2 Gatekeeper, -2 Sign in Blood -3 Nighthawk
+2 Doom Blade, +3 Crush, +1 Consume the Meek +1 Massacre Wurm

Game 2 was interesting, in that I died to 2 Phantasmal images copying my Wurmcoil Engine, which then got Onion Ringed. Bad Times...

1-1 (2-2, still 18 PWP)

Round 3: Aggro Valakut (Caution: Punt Incoming)

You know why Phyrexian Crusader is in the mainboard? It is stone cold GAS against Valakut. Game 1 I hit my first crusader on turn 3, then a second on turn 4, and by the time he had his titan hit the board, he was dead to my kicked gatekeeper next turn.

Sideboarding
-3 Vampire Nighthawk, -1 Dismember, -1 Sign in Blood
+3 Surgical Extraction +2 Doom Blade

So, the punt came when I animated an inkmoth nexus for no reason, and tried to mise a point of poison. when it ate a lightning bolt, I realized I had stone rained myself for no real reason. I surgicaled the bolt to see what I was facing down, and saw a few lands, Trap, and 2 Primeval Titans. I had to let the titan find two valakuts before I could kill and surgical it, but it was too late. Sitting on 4 lands with an inkmoth in the yard and batterskull in hand to go with my crusader on board. If I hadn't punted the inkmoth it would have been lethal poison damage, done and done, on to round 4. But I gifted the game to my opponent, and then went on to lose game 3

1-2 (3-4, 18 PWP)

Round 4: Caw Blade

I have played this kid precisely twice now, and by kid I mean he is literally like 12 years old. He's got a pretty good handle on the game though, and is definitely a decent player. However, there's very little he can do in UW about 3 phyrexian crusaders dancing all over his freshly poisoned face.

Sideboard

-2 Gatekeeper, -3 Nighthawk, -3 Sign in Blood
+3 Crush, +2 Doom Blade, +1 Consume the Meek, +1 Massacre Wurm

Gideon Sucks...

No additional Sideboarding

Gideon sucks, but I killed him!! MOAR CRUSADER DANCING!!

2-2 (5-5 in games, 27 PWPs)

Round 5: Bye

Homeboy left and didn't drop because people can't read the PWP thing he thought he got an extra PWP for leaving without dropping... (This is untrue)

3-2 (5-5 in games, 36 PWPs, LEVEL UP)

Round 6: Valakut (More traditional ramp build)

I have NO FEAR versus Valakut, and fresh off my happy punting versus them back in round 3, this was srs business.

Game 1 saw 2 phyrexian crusaders, and stomped him after he trapped for an Inferno titan, to kill in happy quick infecty fashion

Sideboarding

-3 Nighthawk -2 Dismember
+3 Surgical +2 Doom Blade

I don't remember much about this game, but I remember valakuts being activated and several 3 point chunks of damage flying at my skull.

No Additional Sideboarding

Two crusaders was good, Doom Blade/ Surgical on Primeval Titan was good, as was killing and extracting his Inferno titans. He was facing more than lethal damage, and could have top decked into a mountain or a ramp spell to kill me, but flipped an obstinate baloth, which promptly died, letting me swing in for the win and the 4-2

4-2 (7-6 on games, 45 PWPs bringing my total to 2612, a level 35 Invoker)

Prize: 2 packs of M12
Pack 1: Solemn Simulacrum
Pack 2: Elvish Archdruid traded with Mental Mistep, Bloodbraid Elf, and Jace's Archivist for Homeward Path

If I could Change anything:

At least 2 swamps need to become Tectonic edge, and Vampire Hexmage needs to come back into the board for Gideon and Tezzeret
scrubnextdoor blog
Notable Stuffs
Champion of Niv's 1st Block Constructed Tournament
1000 posts & !-year anniversary 2/17/10 BOOYAH

Siggables
Neruka's Boyfriend
Kor Firewalker is SO HOT. He is the fire in my pants. I want his firewalking babies.

Oops
75932913 wrote:
57689138 wrote:
I just realized how large a pain in the ass it's going to be to break down regionals like this
but look on the bright side, [b]Ding Dong jund is dead[b], it's not the boogyman anymore XD

Razorgore
61325265 wrote:
57689138 wrote:
Near Death Experience?
Gideon is not impressed by your triple white, incredibly difficult-to-manlipulate jank card.
Poor Niche
57860688 wrote:
MaRo keeps stabbing me in the face with cards like Phyrexian Rebirth. It's a black card.. with black art... in a white layer with white costs. Up yours, design team.
Cryptic Command can go munch on a bowl of my nuts
Congrats on your level!  Feelings on Hex Parasite vs Hexmage?
Congrats on your level!  Feelings on Hex Parasite vs Hexmage?

hmm, I suppose at least post rotation it will definitely be in my sideboard, and probably BSZ over Consume the Meek. I think the deck sets up fairly well post rotation. Liliana becomes a harder to kill Gatekeeper, and I suppose I could find a black 2-3 drop to fill in for nighthawk. I almost want to run Lashwrithe, but at ~55% swamps, it's a little dicey.
scrubnextdoor blog
Notable Stuffs

Siggables
Neruka's Boyfriend
Kor Firewalker is SO HOT. He is the fire in my pants. I want his firewalking babies.

Oops
75932913 wrote:
57689138 wrote:
I just realized how large a pain in the ass it's going to be to break down regionals like this
but look on the bright side, [b]Ding Dong jund is dead[b], it's not the boogyman anymore XD

Razorgore
61325265 wrote:
57689138 wrote:
Near Death Experience?
Gideon is not impressed by your triple white, incredibly difficult-to-manlipulate jank card.
Poor Niche
57860688 wrote:
MaRo keeps stabbing me in the face with cards like Phyrexian Rebirth. It's a black card.. with black art... in a white layer with white costs. Up yours, design team.
Skinrender for nighthawk? Not as good but great vs planeswalkers
I don't understand how you have time to play FNMs when you still haven't revealed the Iron Builder Championship round results.

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGNichecopy.png)

Fix your Forum Experience here: http://community.wizards.com/forum/new-site-feedback/threads/3925861

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4
Multiple 2013 IQ Top 4/8 Finishes
Designer of Top 8 States finishing MBC decks in 2011, 2010, and 2009 
Standard Forum - Iron Deck Builder Season One Champ

Favorite Quotes

"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance." - Laurence J. Peter 
"It is the province of knowledge to speak, and it is the privilege of wisdom to listen.” - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Because I'm a generally self-centered, irresponsible human being with a penchant for escapism.

*rereads*... yeah that about covers it, I'll get back on the final round
scrubnextdoor blog
Notable Stuffs

Siggables
Neruka's Boyfriend

Oops
75932913 wrote:
57689138 wrote:

Razorgore
61325265 wrote:
57689138 wrote:
Near Death Experience?
Poor Niche
57860688 wrote:
Someone was playing aggro valakut?  Now?  That deck wasn't even good when pre-ban Caw-Blade was around, which is what it was built for.

On a completely unrelated note, I like it when someone brags about having a really awesome matchup against [name of deck I'm playing, but Valakut in this instance].  I then stomp said deck...this happened against u/g infect.  In game 1, I don't remember exactly what happened, but I think I had a titan out, though it was a little slow.  I did, however, have a battlement out ready to block.  On his turn, he went for the kill.  He tried throwing some pump spells on his dude, but he played his Apostle's Blessing to push through my battlement too early and doesn't have enough damage to kill me when I point out that his creature has pro-green and can't be pumped.  Then, valakut wins the game as it does.  In game 2, I just stomped him.  I mean, he got a decent draw and everything, but I had bolt, Nature's Claim, and Creeping Corrosion.  I still had two of them in hand when I was bashing face with a titan.  I only like crushing people who brag about such matchups because they need a reality check - derp, you can't have an amazing matchup against everything other than mono red (which is what he thought I was playing).  There's this thing against removal, which I heard is kinda good against infect creatures.
Come check out my friend's youtube channel where he gives bad movies what's coming to them!
You Make the Card
Best Contest Holder 2010 YMtC Idol 9 4th Place
Mafia History
Friendliest Player 2010 Werewolves Invade YMtC!: Town-aligned Rotworm Mass, Survived, Mafia Victory Heroes Mafia: Angela Petrelli, Town-Aligned Undercover Revengeful Mother, Win for Me, Mafia Victory Super Smash Bros. Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Survived, Town Victory Bear Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Lynched Day 1, Mafia Victory YMtC Mafia II: Henry-Stern, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Town Victory, Town MVP Time Fracture Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Nero, the Last Romulan, Lynched Day 3, Borg Victory Touhou Mafia III: Tenshi Hinani, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Mafia 2010: Lynched Day 1, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Dragonball Z Mafia: Goku, Town-Aligned Charismatic Townie, Mafia Victory Quarantined Mafia: Lynched Day 4, J. Walter Weatherman, Infected-Aligned Administrative Assistant, Mr. T (so basically mafia) Victory Glass Box Mafia: Killed Night 2, Icthys, Town-Aligned Networker, Town Victory Battle Royale Mafia: Killed Night 3, Zipperflesh and Dark Stryke Victory Scars of Mirrodin Mafia: Killed Night 3, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Mafia Victory Portal Mafia: Lynched Day 3, Test Subject #2, Mafia-Aligned Rolestopper, Town Victory (that was utter BS) Toxic Waste Mafia: Survived, Violet, Hive (Cult)-Aligned Powerless Taskmaster, Hive Victory PK Hatez You Mafia: Survived, Town-Aligned Goth, Mafia Victory Dreven City: A Wild West Mafia: Town-Aligned "Los Angeles" Reed, One-Shot Vig, Survived, Town Victory (just barely, major props to Just a Cleric) YMtC Mafia III: Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Vampire Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Pander, Mafia Victory Touhou Border Collapse: Bill Cosby, Town-Aligned, Killed Night 1, Mafia Victory Harry Potter Mafia: Argus Filch, Town-Aligned Tracker, Lynched Day 5, Mafia Victory [Basic #5] Bandit Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Borderlands Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory eBay Mafia: Mafia-Aligned, Survived, Mafia Victory Full Metal Alchemist Mafia: Alphonse Elric, Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory Sunflowers for Ragnarokio: Lynched Day 3, Town/Just a Cleric/Tevish Szat/Faux-Razor Victory True Blood Mafia: Lynched Day 4, Mafia Victory My Mafia Diary: Skyhunter, Mafia-Aligned Emo, Survived, Flawless Mafia Victory Paper Mario Mafia: Blue Goomba, Town-Aligned Lover, Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Small Town Mafia: Pigsticker Mafia-Aligned Coward, Killed Night 2, Caveman Mafia and Zipperflesh Victory Stuff on my Desk Mafia: Lotus Cobra, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Order of the Chaos Rose Mafia: Lord Dagol Ji'Lovik, Town-Aligned Hypnotist, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Camp Crystal Lake Mafia: Ongoing A Certain Magical Mafia: Killed Night 1, Town-Aligned The Siege of Balignor Mafia: Ongoing, Killed Day 4 Mafia of Ancient Egypt: Replaced in for Murica day 2, Ra, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Town Victory, Town MVP Lord of the Rings Mafia: Replaced in for Dr Demento, Town-Aligned Mason/One-Shot Self-Doc, Town Victory, Town MVP Internet Stars Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Mythos Mafia: Ongoing