[WoA] Just played a couple of games and have a couple of questions.

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
My wife and I are enjoying the game so far.  We've played the first and second advenatures.  (We played the solo adventure together to better learn the rules.)  Got crushed in the solo adventure but one the second adventure on our first try.  Having a great time with the game.

We've got a couple of questions tho...

First off is the fighter's charge at-will power... is this an additional move and attack?  If it is that seems very powerful.  If it's not, we can't see how it differs from what every hero can already do.

Second, we got an encouter card that told us to drop a treasure token.  This was in adveture 2.  So I pulled a treasure token from my "set aside" bag and droped it... It was a bag of gold.   We never found any use for it.  They seemed to be used by campaign mode.  Should I remove that encounter card when not playing in campaign mode?

Thanks in advance,
Perry
Yes, the Charge allows you to move as part of your attack action — meaning you still have a move action. I think it's balanced though, because you roll +8, against +11 from Sure Strike, one of the other At-Will attacks.

When a card tells me to drop a Treasure Token in an adventure that doesn't use them, I "house ruled" that that token is worth a Treasure Card. It seems more fun this way!
Thanks Nemedia!
My wife always plays that dwarf fighter, Vistra (at least until she can play as Catti-Brie in the Drizzt board game) and loves 'Charge'. It makes the heavily armored dwarf (surprisingly) one of the most mobile Heroes of Ravenloft/ Ashardalon.

Some situations it has been really helpful in:

- if you are dazed, you can still move and attack (because the move action is part of the At-Will attack)
- if you want to attack a monster that is situated in the middle of a tile, you can use charge and then
  still move to an unexplored edge afterwards (so you might avoid an encounter card)
- Charge is awesome against melee attackers that are on a diagonal tile from you (remember that this
   means 2 tiles away from you). You can charge and then use your move to retreat so that you are
   2 tiles away from the monster. Don't do it against Orc Archers, of course, but against most others, it
   basically saves you from being attacked (because the monster is not within 1 tile of you and has to
   move 1 tile closer during your/ your partner's Villain Phase).
It seems this is the thread of people that play with their wives—myself included! Wink

Thanks for the tips, Mikron.
Yes, it is very powerful. all the movement cards are (which are also available to rogue and paladin). Because of the different mechanics used for monsters, this abilities are straight broken unless you play them wrong or house rule them otherwise.

The paladin one is the most powerful, imo. It's too easy to play corners, move an enemy adjacent to you but in a square 2 tiles away, meaning he can't attack you back. Paladin can then move to another corner if she'd like to explore.

Other broken abilities because of this: blade barrier and wizards eye
It seems this is the thread of people that play with their wives—myself included! Wink

It's a perfect family game. My better half likes Forgotten Realms novels (R.A. Salvatore, anyway) but is not too much into the whole D&D Roleplaying (although the combat-heavy 4e seems to suit her). So the fast paced Ravenloft/ Ashardalon and presumably Legend of Drizzt fit the bill perfectly.

It's a perfect family game. My better half likes Forgotten Realms novels (R.A. Salvatore, anyway) but is not too much into the whole D&D Roleplaying (although the combat-heavy 4e seems to suit her). So the fast paced Ravenloft/ Ashardalon and presumably Legend of Drizzt fit the bill perfectly.

Charge is indeed a cool power.
As for the treasure token, don't be afraid to house rule, this game is, understating it, a very cool sandbox for you to build upon.
I play with my wife too, though in regular D&D she is always a druid, so I had to custom create one for her.
A couple of other questions came up in a recent game.

1).  Can a wand of polymorph be used against a villain.
2).  If a hero escapes the dungeon and is poisoned, must that hero continue to make saving throws until either the poison is gone or he is dead?
@ Morgothrond: Here's is another custom created (elf) druid: boardgamegeek.com/thread/606088/players-... If you have a look around the site, you'll find many fan-made Heroes (especially from Board Game Geek useres "chromaticdragon" and "ninjadorg".

@ KnobleSavage: No, a villain cannot be polymorphed (it's in the FAQ's of the updated rulebook). For the second question, I would tend to say that he is safe as soon as leaving the dungeon (simply because his figure is removed from the board and is not on any card, either). But this is up to you as player, I guess.
@ Morgothrond: Here's is another custom created (elf) druid: boardgamegeek.com/thread/606088/players-... If you have a look around the site, you'll find many fan-made Heroes (especially from Board Game Geek useres "chromaticdragon" and "ninjadorg".

@ KnobleSavage: No, a villain cannot be polymorphed (it's in the FAQ's of the updated rulebook). For the second question, I would tend to say that he is safe as soon as leaving the dungeon (simply because his figure is removed from the board and is not on any card, either). But this is up to you as player, I guess.

Cool, thanks, yea, I post usually on that site, and the custom heroes I did are actually there too.
 I agree with you, chromatic dragon (KY) and ninja are very creative and really nice people too.
It's in the FAQ of the updated rulebook.

Which FAQ does this refer to?