Hello,My group is playing Lair Assault tonight (very last minute) and I'm building a cleric. Can anyone point me to some good handbooks or builds? I'm looking to build a cleric (or other leader) that can dish small amounts of healing frequently and o

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello,
My group is playing Lair Assault tonight (very last minute) and I'm building a cleric. Can anyone point me to some good handbooks or builds? I'm looking to build a cleric (or other leader) that can dish small amounts of healing frequently and one that can take a hit. I'm not looking to deal a ton of damage as the other 4 are running strikers. I just want to be able to keep them up and try not to go down myself. Any build guides or handbook links would be appreciated. I'm not asking anyone to build me a character, I'm not just as familiar with clerics as I'd like to be and I want to make sure I don't make any newb mistakes with the build. Thanks in advance you guys are the best!
just wondering, you mention that you are running with 4 strikers, so there's no defender in your group then ?

A possible leader would be the warpriest, he comes with a mark mechanic if memory serves.  So he could act as a semi defender to help your party.

Or you could just go for the standard cleric and make him a str focused melee character.  Take battle cleric's lore for some scale mail, a +2 AC shield bonus so you can go for a strong two handed weapon ( mordenkrad, gouge etc ) and a +2 bonus to hit to people you heal ( as long they spend a healing surge ).  You could also hybrid cleric / warlord in order to give your allies MBA's if they are solid strikers.  Again if you go for hybrid cleric anything you should almost always take battle cleric's lore as it is so very very sweet !  If they want to optimize even a little into their basic attacks ( ranged and melee ) you could make for a solid enabler for your group.

I favor the cleric / warlord hybrid myself.

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Those links are to the cleric's handbook and the warlord's handbook respectively.  Hope you put together something fun !
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

Clerics don't deal dish out small amounts of healing frequently... they dish out large amounts of healing and when they run out they are nearly useless.

That said in a four striker party you are clearly only going to win by alpha-striking, pure Warlord for an enabling leader will work out better in all likelihood.
hehe, reminds me of that one game I had where we ran 4 leaders(Cleric, Paladin, Shaman, and.... Ardent I think) and one striker...the one time we didn't talk it out ahead of time...shame our DM was bad so we ended up getting party wiped in record time.
Thanks for the feedback, very much appreciated! The plan was to have 4 strikers and try to burn through super fast, nobody get bogged down. And just keep pumping temp and HP into the strikers as necessary. I like the warlord idea though too.
Don't trust Alcestis... he's run his adventures with bad clerics :P The clerics is an incredible leader, if well built. I suggest you check Gelatineous Octahedron cleric build thread.

Chauntea/Lathander/Torm Cleric since 1995 My husband married a DM - καλὸς καὶ ἀγαθός

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/14.jpg)

A cleric seems great for your party.  You could do a templar cleric that has Battle Cleric's Lore for defender ac, control type powers, and melee warpriest powers that don't require hitting for their effects.  I can't remember if Lair Assault ever goes to level 16, but if it does, you could take the tactical warpriest path and have a mark so your cleric would be full leader, off-defender, with control in the event that you don't alpha strike.

Gelatinous's Holy Smoke guide is exactly what you want.
Try this:

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Kanatash, level 5 Kalashtar, Cleric (Templar)Cleric
Option: Healer's Lore Kalashtar Option: Religion Bonus Ward of the Temple (+2 to Heal)
Theme: Knight Hospitaler 
FINAL ABILITY SCORES STR 10, CON 12, DEX 11, INT 8, WIS 20, CHA 18 
STARTING ABILITY SCORES STR 10, CON 12, DEX 11, INT 8, WIS 17, CHA 15  
AC: 19 Fort: 14 Ref: 13 Will: 20
HP: 44 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 11 
TRAINED SKILLSArcana +6, Heal +14, Insight +14, Religion +8 

POWERS  
Knight Hospitaler Utility: Shield of Devotion
Kalashtar Racial Power: Bastion of Mental Clarity
Cleric Utility: Favor of the Gods
Cleric Attack 1: Astral Seal
Cleric Attack 1: Sacred Flame
Cleric Attack 1: Exacting Utterance
Cleric Attack 1: Beacon of Hope
Cleric Utility 2: Resurgent Strength
Cleric Attack 3: Resurgent Sun
Cleric Attack 5: Iron to Glass 
FEATS
Level 1: Ritual Caster
Level 1: Pacifist Healer
Level 2: Defensive Healing Word
Level 4: Healer's Implement
ITEMS 
Healer's Brooch +1 x1
Healer's Chainmail +1 x1
Magic Holy Symbol +2 x1
Holy Healer's Mace +1 x1
Potion of Healing (heroic tier) x2
====== End ======
Try this:

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Kanatash, level 5 Kalashtar, Cleric (Templar)Cleric
Option: Healer's Lore Kalashtar Option: Religion Bonus Ward of the Temple (+2 to Heal)
Theme: Knight Hospitaler 
FINAL ABILITY SCORES STR 10, CON 12, DEX 11, INT 8, WIS 20, CHA 18 
STARTING ABILITY SCORES STR 10, CON 12, DEX 11, INT 8, WIS 17, CHA 15  
AC: 19 Fort: 14 Ref: 13 Will: 20
HP: 44 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 11 
TRAINED SKILLSArcana +6, Heal +14, Insight +14, Religion +8 

POWERS  
Knight Hospitaler Utility: Shield of Devotion
Kalashtar Racial Power: Bastion of Mental Clarity
Cleric Utility: Favor of the Gods
Cleric Attack 1: Astral Seal
Cleric Attack 1: Sacred Flame
Cleric Attack 1: Exacting Utterance
Cleric Attack 1: Beacon of Hope
Cleric Utility 2: Resurgent Strength
Cleric Attack 3: Resurgent Sun
Cleric Attack 5: Iron to Glass 
FEATS
Level 1: Ritual Caster
Level 1: Pacifist Healer
Level 2: Defensive Healing Word
Level 4: Healer's Implement
ITEMS 
Healer's Brooch +1 x1
Healer's Chainmail +1 x1
Magic Holy Symbol +2 x1
Holy Healer's Mace +1 x1
Potion of Healing (heroic tier) x2
====== End ======

HA! That's VERY close to what I ended up building. VERY close. Looking at it, i think your build is a bit better. We very nearly beat it, everyone dropping in the final room BBEG was way past bloodied. Thanks everyone!
Sign In to post comments