09/12/2011 Feature: "Innistrad Prerelease Primer"

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Feature Article, which goes live Monday morning on magicthegathering.com.
This should cost 2 with a 4 damage trigger, just like Volt charge could've costed 2.
I may be insane... But I think I may have found an error... It was said that the prerelease is "This weekend" but it's not until next weekend.
Would you be allowed at the pre-release to put all your cards in transparent sleeves, and use the proxy card in your deck? Every explanation of the rules I've read treats it like an either or thing, either you use the card or you use sleeves (and specifically opaque ones). Personally I think that clear sleeves on everything and having the proxy in your deck solves most of the logistical problems people have with the DFCs... but one issue is that the clear sleeves I know of are not as strong (thus not as protective) as the opaque ones. But the INN-related products might include thicker clear sleeves.
~ Current Decks I'm Playing or Building ~ (Click a deck's name to see list) [] CorpseJunk Menace/Township Counters (Standard) [] Reanimation/Clerics Theme Deck - Commander: Ghost Dad [] Devouring Tokens (Planechase, Multiplayer) [] Krark-Clan Ironworks: 2012 Edition (Modern) [] Azorious Turbo Fog (Modern)
Great article
Would you be allowed at the pre-release to put all your cards in transparent sleeves, and use the proxy card in your deck? Every explanation of the rules I've read treats it like an either or thing, either you use the card or you use sleeves (and specifically opaque ones). Personally I think that clear sleeves on everything and having the proxy in your deck solves most of the logistical problems people have with the DFCs... but one issue is that the clear sleeves I know of are not as strong (thus not as protective) as the opaque ones. But the INN-related products might include thicker clear sleeves.

Using the proxy card marked with what card it is (and perhaps the P/T) is the exact purpose of the proxy card and is why they are in roughly 3/4's of packs.

If you have opaque sleeves, you can just ignore them. 

You certainly are allowed to put the proxy checklist thing in clear sleeves. You're even allowed to put the proxy in an opaque sleeve if you want; that might make sense if you have transparent sleeves as well, which you want to put your DFCs in.

But putting the proxies in sleeves doesn't solve the logistical problems at all. You still don't have all the details accessible when the card is in your hand. You still have to look off at your "outside notes" and clue in your opponent to the fact you've got a DFC in your hand. You still get to show cards in draft. You still can't see the name and mana-cost across the top of your hand when mulliganing or otherwise taking a glance at your hand.

Personally, for casual play I'd recommend printing out split-card-sized proxies of both halves of your DFCs. That way you can actually see all the info you need when the card is in your hand.

I'm astonished that Wizards push us into this kind of thing though, because the more people try printing out proxies for casual play, the more people will realise the Emperor's clothes are somewhat transparent and we could just, y'know, print proxies of other cards too for casual. It seems a very bad direction to push people in, but I'm sure Wizards know best.
I may be insane... But I think I may have found an error... It was said that the prerelease is "This weekend" but it's not until next weekend.

I've noticed this too.  The pages talking about the prerelease say 24 - 25, but here he says "this weekend".  I also wonder at what they are planning on doing next week if they aren't previewing anything.

IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
I'll be in London for the Prerelease! What store you headed to? Looking for someone to trade all my zombies for humans with. Dark Sphere in Waterloo is the best shop in London, at least for those on a budget.

Yeah it's 24-25th, that must be a mistake. 
"And bear in mind that you're still not allowed to look at—[...]—the fronts of the regular single-sided cards in the draft."

That'll make drafting ISD a lot more interesting. Laughing

(I'm pretty sure he means regular cards that aren't in the pack you're currently picking from, but that's not quite what he wrote.)
I'm astonished that Wizards push us into this kind of thing though, because the more people try printing out proxies for casual play, the more people will realise the Emperor's clothes are somewhat transparent and we could just, y'know, print proxies of other cards too for casual. It seems a very bad direction to push people in, but I'm sure Wizards know best.

I sent a lengthy e-mail to MaRo after the initial preview article where he talked about DFCs and addressed several concerns, but the idea of pushing players toward proxies was the primary one.  It's a dangerous direction to go in.

Pushing organized play and limited formats definitely help in boosting sales, but these cards seem to be screaming at people that the cards themselves have no meaning.  And that could push people toward casual with proxies instead of into stores to support Magic and Wizards.
I was trying to find some discussion about this, but couldn't. Since this article addresses the pre-release, I figure I'll birng it up here. Has anyone noticed that Mayor of Avabruck, the pre-release card for Innistrad is a standard rare and not a mythic? This is the first time since mythic rares were introduced that the pre-release card has not been NOT mythic. Does anyone know why WotC decided to do this? Part of the draw to the pre-release tournaments is the opportunity to get a free mythic rare along with your entry fee and booster packs. True, not all of these mythics were super great cards, but some wound up bieng fairly valuable, like Ajani Vengeant, Emrakul, and Wurmcoil Engine. 
I was trying to find some discussion about this, but couldn't. Since this article addresses the pre-release, I figure I'll birng it up here. Has anyone noticed that Mayor of Avabruck, the pre-release card for Innistrad is a standard rare and not a mythic? This is the first time since mythic rares were introduced that the pre-release card has not been NOT mythic. Does anyone know why WotC decided to do this? Part of the draw to the pre-release tournaments is the opportunity to get a free mythic rare along with your entry fee and booster packs. True, not all of these mythics were super great cards, but some wound up bieng fairly valuable, like Ajani Vengeant, Emrakul, and Wurmcoil Engine. 

The best explanation that I can come up with is that WOTC wanted the pre-release giveaway to be a double-faced card, since that's the main "novelty" of this set.  However, the only mythic dfc is the new Garruk.  I can imagine that they wouldn't want to "flood the market" with Garruks in this way.
*complains about double faced cards' effect on draft*

I'm sure plenty of people have complained about this issue in more detail elsewhere. Just wanted to add my voice to the throng that indicate this will make me less likely to draft ISD. But who knows, maybe the trickiness of trying to sneak peaks at 7 other people's packs while hiding or deliberately revealing your own will turn out be fun? Hopefully. Going a year without drafting a new set would make me an unhappy camper.

The best explanation that I can come up with is that WOTC wanted the pre-release giveaway to be a double-faced card, since that's the main "novelty" of this set.  However, the only mythic dfc is the new Garruk.  I can imagine that they wouldn't want to "flood the market" with Garruks in this way.

You mean like they did with Ajani and are now doing again with Ajani in the Ajani vs. Nicol Bolas set? Pre-release foil Garruk would have been awesome. Would be nice to see a promo Planeswalker again, especially since Ajani was the first mythic promo. So I guess there's no double-faced mythic besides Garruk? 

I just hope this isn't a trend to where they will stop having mythics as pre-release foils.