Mordenkainen's Magnificent Emporium

55 posts / 0 new
Last post
I got this book last night. It's a fairly good book- I still like the Adventurer's Vaults better. There are less magic items in this release than the AV books but there is more fluff.

Rare items are better than uncommon and common items; they have powerful encounter powers that used to be daily. I'd be careful handing them out. There are common items in each category for PCs to buy. Overall, if you like the rarity system, this book is for you.

There are some new weapons- light mace, pike, light spear. Those are cool and will partake in my Core delves.

This book will serve me well in my Essentials era delves since I don't mix Essentials era stuff with Core.

I rate the book a 5 out of 10.
I got this book last night. It's a fairly good book- I still like the Adventurer's Vaults better. There are less magic items in this release than the AV books but there is more fluff.

Rare items are better than uncommon and common items; they have powerful encounter powers that used to be daily. I'd be careful handing them out. There are common items in each category for PCs to buy. Overall, if you like the rarity system, this book is for you.

There are some new weapons- light mace, pike, light spear. Those are cool and will partake in my Core delves.

This book will serve me well in my Essentials era delves since I don't mix Essentials era stuff with Core.

I rate the book a 5 out of 10.

Yeah, now if we could just actually buy it online it would be great.

WotC, this sucks, we'd all love to buy your product, but if you won't distribute it to the places we can actually buy from, well, I guess we just won't buy it! lol.
That is not dead which may eternal lie
It is a head scratcher why thus wasn't released through Amazon. I'm guessing it's a limited print run and will be hard to find (I recall my FLGS couldn't get the Dark Sun Campaign Book in stock two months after it was released).
If I had to use a numerical rating, I would have gone with a 7. My opinion is that if you liked previous loot books, you will probably like this, too. More items would have been nice, as would a larger list of items sorted by level, slot, and rarity.
Is there any reason at all for me to buy the book rather than just using its material from DDI?
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
The flavor text, depending on how much it matters to you and/or if you liked what you saw from the excerpts.
skipping it
skipping it

+1

It seems a decent portion of content is reprints, or UA stuff printed in book form. With this having less overall content than a typical AA, means I get very little new out of it.
Yeah, now if we could just actually buy it online it would be great.

WotC, this sucks, we'd all love to buy your product, but if you won't distribute it to the places we can actually buy from, well, I guess we just won't buy it! lol.

You can.  Coolstuffinc.com has it on pre-order for a very good price.
Reflavoring: the change of flavor without changing any mechanical part of the game, no matter how small, in order to fit the mechanics to an otherwise unsupported concept. Retexturing: the change of flavor (with at most minor mechanical adaptations) in order to effortlessly create support for a concept without inventing anything new. Houseruling: the change, either minor or major, of the mechanics in order to better reflect a certain aspect of the game, including adapting the rules to fit an otherwise unsupported concept. Homebrewing: the complete invention of something new that fits within the system in order to reflect an unsupported concept. Default module =/= Core mechanic.
It seems a decent portion of content is reprints, or UA stuff printed in book form. With this having less overall content than a typical AA, means I get very little new out of it.

This book was originally canceled, but then got resurrected: the fact that it is mostly just a reprint of previously published material just makes me shake my head.

I suppose it's too much to ask for a new book to have some new stuff, plus all of AV1 and AV2 stuff in there, updated with rarity, errata and other revisions? (Basically AV and AV2 given the Essent45ls update?)

Yeah, probably.  Too bad, 'cause that's a book I'd buy.  :sadface: 
If you do a google shopping search for the book, you can find places to buy it...just not at the regular venues.
4e D&D is not a "Tabletop MMO." It is not Massively Multiplayer, and is usually not played Online. Come up with better descriptions of your complaints, cuz this one means jack ****.
skipping it

I don't blame you, sir. The collectionist in me had to buy it but it's a far cry from the Adventurer's Vaults. **shakes fists in the air** bring me back Collins and Heinsoo!
I like it a lot better than the adventurer's vaults  I don't care that it has less magic items, it has better, more interesting magic items, and a whole lot more non-magic items, feats, fluff, and other goodies.

AV's were mostly full of a zillion badly-balanced items with daily powers (some of which sucked, others were broken) and a completely useless vehicle mechanic (useless not because it wouldn't be nice to have a vehicle mechanic, but useless because the rules just plain don't work properly.)
The old AV's weren't great either, I wouldnt buy an AV3 if it followed the old format either.

I dont think they need Item books anymore. It, like generic feats, fighter feats, wizard feats, and racial feats that tie to racial powers, are majorly bloated.

That said, "more interesting than 4e's least interesting book" doesn't win it points for me. I already have henchemen, I dont care about powerstrike or expertise, and most of it is CB-able anyway.

If they want to bring out more thematics in items, tie them more into adventures, and print them there.
Could you perhaps give us a preview of the expertise feats?  Flail Expertise, in particular, has me hoping for something good.
I would have been happier if they shortened a lot of the pointless flavour text in front of each magic item, and given us a complete listing for every pre-Essentials magic item, and tell us its rarity. We could have one unified source for Rarity (unless DDI already does that?).

"Ah, the age-old conundrum. Defenders of a game are too blind to see it's broken, and critics are too idiotic to see that it isn't." - Brian McCormick

Just got the book and have read through the intro and a couple of sample magic items.  I actually like the flavor text, and the use of Mordenkainen.... he actually sounds like he's kind of an a-hole in one of the passages (armor intro), which is pretty funny.  I haven't compared what's new and old, but it looks like people here are saying its mostly old.  I'll have to investigate it for myself, but I don't like the sound of that... I was hoping these items would be NEW magic items.

"Lost? Confused? Lacking direction? Need to find a purpose in your life?"

-Welcome to Night Vale Proverb

I would have been happier if they shortened a lot of the pointless flavour text in front of each magic item, and given us a complete listing for every pre-Essentials magic item, and tell us its rarity. We could have one unified source for Rarity (unless DDI already does that?).

...only if you accept the "everything is uncommon" line of BS.

This book was originally canceled, but then got resurrected: the fact that it is mostly just a reprint of previously published material just makes me shake my head.

I suppose it's too much to ask for a new book to have some new stuff, plus all of AV1 and AV2 stuff in there, updated with rarity, errata and other revisions? (Basically AV and AV2 given the Essent45ls update?)

Yeah, probably.  Too bad, 'cause that's a book I'd buy.  :sadface: 

Have you actually got it and read through it? How much really IS material that is already available elsewhere? I know the Hirelings rules were in UA, but other than that it all sounded to me like it was entirely new stuff.

Anyway, thanks all for tips on where to find a copy online.
That is not dead which may eternal lie
Just got the book, some thoughts:

1. Very few common items. Those hoping this book would fix the lack of common items will be disappointed.

2. Book contains interesting Rare items people might actually want. The book actually has AT LEAST twice the number of new rare items as commons, and a lot are worthwhile.

3. Small races get a nice boost, with a small reach weapon(Pike, same stats as Longspear) and giving all Picks the small quality, which also gives Picks a purpose.

4. A LOT of non combat items, more than AV 1/2 combined, most of which are of common rarity.

5. Piles of mundane items that boost skill checks.
...whatever
The more I read it, the more I like it.  And speaking as someone who has thrown away almost every piece of fluff I've read for 25 years and made my own instead, I really like the fluff.  (Not saying I won't re-fluff it, but it's a fun read! - Especially Mordenkainen's running commentary.)

Sure, there still needs to be a whole spitload of common items, but that could easily be fixed by... oh I dunno... a little bit of eratta given to the vast majority of underpowered currently-uncommon old items?  Is that really too much to ask of Wizards? 

5. Piles of mundane items that boost skill checks.

You know I assume my master of stealth rogue uses every common mundane item to enhance his skill and that this was included in his stealth training .... sigh.
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

Could you perhaps give us a preview of the expertise feats?  Flail Expertise, in particular, has me hoping for something good.

Flail Expertise: + 1 bonus to attack rolls per tier and if you hit the target with an attack that let's you slide the target, you can knock it prone instead. The Strike Specialization feats are neat twists on the Essential's martial power strike. A lot of them you can swap the extra damage dice to knock them prone (flail), do 5 damage on a miss (axe) or immobilize (spear), to name a few.

...only if you accept the "everything is uncommon" line of BS.

Since the rare magic items in this book are actually more powerful than previous magic items, where the daily power in essence becomes an encounter, their 'bs' is actually sorta true. The rare magic items in MME blow ALL the magic items previously released of equal level out of the water.

However, the BS point is still well made. It would be nice to know readily which ones are common and uncommon.
The more I read it, the more I like it.  And speaking as someone who has thrown away almost every piece of fluff I've read for 25 years and made my own instead, I really like the fluff.  (Not saying I won't re-fluff it, but it's a fun read! - Especially Mordenkainen's running commentary.)

Sure, there still needs to be a whole spitload of common items, but that could easily be fixed by... oh I dunno... a little bit of eratta given to the vast majority of underpowered currently-uncommon old items?  Is that really too much to ask of Wizards? 

Even though I'm not too much a fan of the book, I do hope it's popular enough that more of its kind are released. The rarity system still feels a bit paltry, although this book helps that, and the extra fluff takes up space where more magic items used to fit. More books of this kind would go a long way of fleshing out the rarity system.

I'm not sold on rare items being more powerful than uncommon/common magic items of the same level. I still think Wizards should have made it more clear, in solid black and white lettering, that each character should only get 1 rare magic item per level. Sure, the DMK's DMG mentions it but I had to dig through the paragraph on magic items to read about it.

Oh well. From the AV1 and AV2 I'll have a life time's share of the old magic item system to keep me happy. It's now turn for those who like the rarity system to get what they desire.

Even though I'm not too much a fan of the book, I do hope it's popular enough that more of its kind are released. The rarity system still feels a bit paltry, although this book helps that, and the extra fluff takes up space where more magic items used to fit. More books of this kind would go a long way of fleshing out the rarity system. I'm not sold on rare items being more powerful than uncommon/common magic items of the same level. I still think Wizards should have made it more clear, in solid black and white lettering, that each character should only get 1 rare magic item per level. Sure, the DMK's DMG mentions it but I had to dig through the paragraph on magic items to read about it. Oh well. From the AV1 and AV2 I'll have a life time's share of the old magic item system to keep me happy. It's now turn for those who like the rarity system to get what they desire.

They've quite clearly stated (though I'm not one for citation) that you should have one Rare item per tier and that the rare items the character possess should be character defining.  (I'm not sure how this reflects on consumables, and for that matter, there are "uncommon" consumables in MME that if you can't buy... I don't know what good they are.)

I maintain that the rarity system was a good idea in principle, but they shouldn't have made the descision to go with it without being willing to do the work required to make it work at the same time (or within the month) that they implemented it.  What are we now, a year on and it's only barely starting to work? That's deplorable.

It's also currently rediculously inconsistant. Much more work is required.

They've quite clearly stated (though I'm not one for citation) that you should have one Rare item per tier and that the rare items the character possess should be character defining.  

Then I better get exactly what I put on my bleeding wish list no hemming and hawing no AxeCalibur for my bloody King Arthur.... no look magic items are DM controlled clap trap

ie ---> Character Defining = Player Chosen

oooh wait.
Now if a create item ritual could take rare residuum and transform it in to another rare item of its level.... and if a dm similarly allowed rare items which have high resale (or high trade) to be used for acquiring the rarity that the player chose ... then perhaps wed have that condition?

I am assuming nicer rares than the original ones worthy of being character defining and not traps ... and that silly map called a rare would then be traded up by anyone whos character wasnt ummmm defined by it.

Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

Garthanos, maybe what you are looking for is a "rare" DM? Wink

Edit:  I prefer mine medium rare.

-DS
I also find skill items to be BS. It's nice to bring out 30 new items, but if all of them are just a name and something totally predictable... why not just make 5 "items of skill" that boost a skill of your choice? Saves a load of space. It's not like they all follow the same template anyway.
Epic Dungeon Master

Want to give your players a kingdom of their own? I made a 4e rule system to make it happen!

Your Kingdom awaits!
Update 5th Sep 2011: Added a sample kingdom, as well as sample of play.
I also find skill items to be BS. It's nice to bring out 30 new items, but if all of them are just a name and something totally predictable... why not just make 5 "items of skill" that boost a skill of your choice? Saves a load of space. It's not like they all follow the same template anyway.

While I share your opinion, I do know of enough players who love to browse through long lists of mundane equipment and caring about the details to understand why they would include it in a book about items. Besides, it is not as if it is anything new since thieves' tools, inquisitive kits, disguise kits and the like have been published in earlier books already.
They should've made the Redundant book of Redundant Items for that kind of thing instead of wasting perfectly good space in other books
Epic Dungeon Master

Want to give your players a kingdom of their own? I made a 4e rule system to make it happen!

Your Kingdom awaits!
Update 5th Sep 2011: Added a sample kingdom, as well as sample of play.
Like hell Wizards has made it clear. The DMK's DMG has two pages on the magic item system. It's on the second page that they even mention that there should only be one rare per tier. It's defined but not nearly enough. They do nothing to explain and clarify WHY rare magic items should be passed out once per tier.

Nowhere do they break down the mechanics behind rare magic items. This is especially important in MME where it's finally implemented. The switching of the magic item's daily power to an encounter throws the balance of magic items out the window.

If you are talking about how Wizards has explained this on the Internet, well, that was over a year ago, before MME was even released. Besides, when you are using printed form for MME, it should be in MME with an indepth explanation on why rare magic items are so unique; mechanically and with tips on how to properly use them!
So, rare items are "more powerful than other items of the same level" - doesn't that mean they should be either (i) higher level or (ii) artifacts?

They've quite clearly stated (though I'm not one for citation) that you should have one Rare item per tier and that the rare items the character possess should be character defining.

So, this is a "character defining" game element that the DM doesn't just choose for you, but also makes sure that the "right" character in the group gets??  Magic items are a group resource, surely, up until the point they are declared one specific character's "property"?  What is to stop a group deciding to load all the rare items on one or two "leading" characters and let the rest have more non-rare items?

I maintain that the rarity system was a good idea in principle, but they shouldn't have made the descision to go with it without being willing to do the work required to make it work at the same time (or within the month) that they implemented it.  What are we now, a year on and it's only barely starting to work? That's deplorable.

I don't even think it's a good idea in principle.  There was already a category for "overpowered items that the DM got to control rather than the players" - Artifacts!  Now we seem to have a shedload of classes that have no defined differences: artifacts, "story items", rare items...  How many classes of "neat but unobtainable items the DM gives out if you're good or lucky" do we need?

Like hell Wizards has made it clear. The DMK's DMG has two pages on the magic item system. It's on the second page that they even mention that there should only be one rare per tier. It's defined but not nearly enough. They do nothing to explain and clarify WHY rare magic items should be passed out once per tier. Nowhere do they break down the mechanics behind rare magic items. This is especially important in MME where it's finally implemented. The switching of the magic item's daily power to an encounter throws the balance of magic items out the window. If you are talking about how Wizards has explained this on the Internet, well, that was over a year ago, before MME was even released. Besides, when you are using printed form for MME, it should be in MME with an indepth explanation on why rare magic items are so unique; mechanically and with tips on how to properly use them!

Amen!  The gaps in the new system still outnumber the solid parts.  What is the difference between a "rare" item, a "story" item and an artifact?  Why was gold made (officially) close to useless?  Why was this nerfing of item enchantment rituals needed?

As for the skill-boost mundane items: does this mean that all that surplus gold that can't be spent on magic items now will make encumbrance capacity the new key party resource?  You get a free +2 (or whatever) to all skill rolls if you can carry enough crap?

Sigh - this "rarity" nonsense just seems like a hole with no bottom.
======= Balesir
Artifacts in 4E do not fullfill the same purpose as rare items. Artifacts are truly unique items with powers that break the game by definition and which are only used for a specific part of the story more often than not really limited in time. Artifacts are in the end full-fledged NPCs in a story. They do not define characters, but in fact have a tendency to completely downplay their wielders. They are also all dangerous to the user. Rare items are distinctively weaker than artifacts, are rarely the focus/important part of a campaign and their usefulness is extended beyond that of a distinct set of adventures. They are more powerful than typical items, and as such are much more important to a character. In literature it would be the difference between Excalliber* and the One Ring from the Lord of the Rings. Excalliber is clearly a powerful sword of great importance to King Arthur, but beyond how Arthur retrieved it, it is not particular important to the campaign (no direct influence on the Knights of the Round Table and their stories, nor does it even take a role in most stories involving Arthur) and it certainly does not pose a direct threat to Arthur. The One Ring on the other hand is the sole reason for the quest, it is a character of the story and has an immense direct impact on all those around it. Without the Ring there would have been no Lord of the Rings.

Of course, you could use artifacts to fullfill the role of rare items by simply downplaying the powers and ignoring concordance, but in doing so you effectively did create something that works like rare items do now. In short, I do belief there is a distinct place for rare items. It is the common/uncommon distinction that is a bit weirder in my mind, but then again, that does help reminding players and DMs alike that magic item distribution is not a given right for players but something that requires input from both the DM and the players.

* Note that obviously depending on what version of Arthur mythology and how you interpret something like "never looses a fair honorable duel" your idea on whether or not Excalliber in 4e is better described as a rare item or an artifact ;) 
[Artifacts] do not define characters, but in fact have a tendency to completely downplay their wielders.

I'm just going to take this snippet and say I readily, and whole-heartedly, disagree completely.  One of the cool features of artifacts (maybe not all, but certainly most) is how they grant a permanent bonus to a character once the item has been passed on.  Artifacts are character-defining, because the players gain a reputation for being a wielder of a legendary item.  Someone who came into possession of the Spear of Urrok the Brave (Draconomicon: Chromatic Dragons) would be remembered for being one of the few people chosen to wield it.  And the remaining effect it has on them would be remembered long after it had been relinquished from their grasp.

Likewise, someone who comes upon the Unconquered Standard of Arkhosia (same book) would be similarly honored.  Sure, the artifact may have a rich history, self-identity, and strong will that encourages and may even guide its wielder.  But this is hardly downplaying them.

Using the example of King Arthur, Excalibur would most definitely be an artifact (as it came into Arthur's possession but also left it).  It's possible to see how the sword's own motivations are involved as well, since Exalibur was broken in his duel with Lancelot.  I would argue that Arthur's legacy is instrinsincly linked with Exaclibur (either the two separate versions, or the one identity) and had it not been for the artifact, Arthur would not be so legendary.
To play devil's advocate a bit on common items, I think there is a fair reason for there not to be too many distinct common items, and for most items to be uncommon by contrast.

Consider, for example, beverages. Common beverages would be beverages that are available basically everywhere beverages are sold, or at least half or so.. for example, water, coca-cola, pepsi, iced tea. Things you can get at basically any restaurant, fast-food joint, etc.
Uncommon beverages are those only typically available at places with a large variety of beverages, such as bars, grocery stores or mini marts. For example, grape juice is an uncommon beverage.
A rare beverage would be something like a micro-brewery's beer which is only available directly from the brewer or from their attached pub.

Clearly there are far more distinct uncommon beverages than common ones. Yet a substantial number of total beverages are commons, maybe even the majority! Coca-cola and pepsi alone account for a significant market share of beverages, despite being only a miniscule fraction of the number of distinct beverages available.

Likewise, it seems like a magic item should only be common if it could reasonably be expected to be possessed by a large fraction of adventurers or others in lines of work that would call for expensive magic items. Based on their common rating, we should expect the handful of armors rated as common are by far the most common types of armor worn by armor-wearing combatants in the setting. They are the coca-colas and pepsis of the magical armor market.

Of course where this potentially fails is in getting up the numbers. I believe the idea was something like 1 rare, 4 uncommons and 5 commons per tier. But really the only commons that make a lot of sense for adventurers are as filler for the 3 main slots (and maybe backup weapons, etc.), and that's only if the adventurer is de-prioritizing those slots for customization. For example, maybe in heroic you get a rare holy symbol, uncommon bracers, tattoo, boots, and gloves on your paladin, leaving the armor, neck, melee weapon and javalin filled by common items just to get the needed enhancement bonuses because you didn't care about any particular property/power on those slots. But what about the opposite? Someone with a rare weapon, uncommon armor and neck slot has very limited reason to have the kind of filler magic item that commons tend to represent.   
I love 4e books that I can read through. Comparatively, the Adventurer's Vault feels like a phone book. When is the 4e Greyhawk setting gonna be released again? Wink

Hope this doesn't come off as advertising or spam, but, I got my copy online from scifigenre.com. Paid less than cover price (including basic shipping) and got it much quicker than I expected.
4e D&D is not a "Tabletop MMO." It is not Massively Multiplayer, and is usually not played Online. Come up with better descriptions of your complaints, cuz this one means jack ****.
Like hell Wizards has made it clear. The DMK's DMG has two pages on the magic item system. It's on the second page that they even mention that there should only be one rare per tier. It's defined but not nearly enough. They do nothing to explain and clarify WHY rare magic items should be passed out once per tier.

So what part of it is hard to understand?

Nowhere do they break down the mechanics behind rare magic items.

Do you mean the design philosophy?  Looking at a few of them should do the trick.  I don't see how they are any more inconsistant that any pre-rarity magic items.

The switching of the magic item's daily power to an encounter throws the balance of magic items out the window.

Isn't that the whole point?  It's my undestanding that the entire reason for Rare magic items is to make magic items that actually feel special (magical?).  It's a complaint I've heard from many 4e holdouts - they felt that the magic items just felt too... mundane.  (Not saying I agree, but if a common complaint is usually a legitimate complaint).

If you are talking about how Wizards has explained this on the Internet, well, that was over a year ago, before MME was even released. Besides, when you are using printed form for MME, it should be in MME with an indepth explanation on why rare magic items are so unique; mechanically and with tips on how to properly use them!

You'll never see me disagree that the implementation of Item Rarity was (and still is) an error of the highest order.

WotC's heart may have been in the right place, but their brain was somewhere else.
I’ve removed content from this thread because masked vulgarity is a violation of the Code of Conduct.  You can review the Code of Conduct here:  wizards.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wizards.cfg... .
If you need help, you can contact us through the Knowledge Base. You can log in there with the same account you use to post here. Having trouble accessing the Knowledge Base? Post here and we can get it fixed.

Flail Expertise: + 1 bonus to attack rolls per tier and if you hit the target with an attack that let's you slide the target, you can knock it prone instead.

Okay, YIKES.

CharOp is going to have a field day.
Fire Blog Control, Change, and Chaos: The Elemental Power Source Elemental Heroes Example Classes Xaosmith Exulter Chaos Bringer Director Elemental Heroes: Looking Back - Class and Story Elemental Heroes: Complete Class Beta - The Xaosmith (January 16, 2012) Elemental Heroes: Complete Class Beta - The Harbinger (May 16, 2012) Check out my Elemental Heroes blog series and help me develop four unique elemental classes.

Flail Expertise: + 1 bonus to attack rolls per tier and if you hit the target with an attack that let's you slide the target, you can knock it prone instead.

Okay, YIKES.

CharOp is going to have a field day.

Considering how easy it is for a team to knock opponents prone already, I am not sure the impact is that huge...

As for my arguments about Excalliber and the One Ring, note that I discussed it from the 4e's perspective. Within the 4e rules mechanics those are the differences between a rare item and an artifact.

(Also note that I specifically pointed out that the power/influence of Excalliber depends a lot on which version of the myth you talk. I have seen more than enough where it never shattered and was simply handed back to the Lady of the Lake...)

(Also note that I specifically pointed out that the power/influence of Excalliber depends a lot on which version of the myth you talk. I have seen more than enough where it never shattered and was simply handed back to the Lady of the Lake...)

Right... but it was his proof of kingship - ie the seat of Arthurs power in all of the legends (whether its sheath sealed all his wounds or not...  save bonus vs ongoing damage  )
I have a martial controller warlord design on the drawing board that uses implements - marks of authority, and this was Arthurs uber magical one.

Lancelots loyalty was the other arm of his power ... the movie Arthur breaking excaliber was due to misuse and symbolically like cutting off one arm to spite the other (in most Legends Lancelot soundly defeated a disguised Arthur and declared he sought Arthur to pledge his Loyalty and declared he would be merciful if the un-named knight would do the same)