09/09/2011 LD: "Out on the Township"

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Latest Developments, which goes live Friday morning on magicthegathering.com.

Shimmering Grotto in Innistrad, apparently.

And to answer the poll, Isolated Chapel. White/Black forever!
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c6f9e416e5e0e1f0a1e5c42b0c7b3e88.jpg?v=90000)
Just did a gatherer search. It has to be Shimmering Grotto.
I looked in the official rules for minimaster and it says nothing about decking. Does that mean that while playing offical rules, the game will end after 8 rounds? That can't be right.
I don't think Shimmering Grotto was played quite enough to warrant a "triumphant" return. My money's on Undiscovered Paradise.

EDIT: Missed that he said common. Definitely the Grotto. 

PORTRAIT OF A PLANESWALKER – Coming October 13th, 2013

IMAGE(http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/385.gif)

I would be pleased with Grotto.
Is it possible that when the article says its a common land, it could be due to a rarity change? I'm sure my voice wasn't the only one in worldwide groan of disdain when the first thing that came to mind was shimmering grotto.. while undiscovered paradise is definitely better on turn one, I would venture to say rupture spire is better in the long time, and it was common.
I definitely would be pleased with Rupture Spire... it's great in limited. However, that art looks like a pretty shimmery grotto and not at all like any kind of spire - rupturing or otherwise.
~ Current Decks I'm Playing or Building ~ (Click a deck's name to see list) [] CorpseJunk Menace/Township Counters (Standard) [] Reanimation/Clerics Theme Deck - Commander: Ghost Dad [] Devouring Tokens (Planechase, Multiplayer) [] Krark-Clan Ironworks: 2012 Edition (Modern) [] Azorious Turbo Fog (Modern)
Clifftop Retreat all the way!!  (does the poll actually take my submission?  doesnt look like it)

I really like the art of Gavony Township.  I took it for my wallpaper.  Thanks!
Hinterland Harbor, because that art and flavor is awesome =)

Sulfur Falls is really lame for showing nothing human.

So far you've reached your goal! I'm not sure what nonbasic to play now atm =)
I chose Woodland Cemetery purely based on flavor text.  I am equally fine with the mana that each produces and the art is equally good and cant favor one over the other.  I am planning on getting some of the Isolated Chapels for the WB Modern Knight deck I am working on, but that doesn't mean it is my favorite.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
Terramorphic Expanse might also count as a "common five-color mana-fixing land". But the (lovely) art does look more like Shimmering Grotto. I'm happy with the Grotto (and with the enemy duals). I like the new Vitu-Ghazi, the City Tree cycle, although I'm sad they're rare. But the Werewolf land is pretty terrifying so I guess I wouldn't want too many of it around. (I got beaten up by Skarrg a couple of weeks ago.)

Yay for interesting lands. 
I have to agree with the good points the article made on Land development, and the previews look good. I'd be a little worried about poison decks getting +1/+1 happy, but 5-mana 2-color should keep it safe.

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

Interesting poll results. I can totally see why blue and black are so popular, because of their power level. And green is a timmy pleaser with its big creatures but why do you think, are white and red so unpopular? Because of their reliance on "unimpressive" small creatures!?
Interesting poll results. I can totally see why blue and black are so popular, because of their power level. And green is a timmy pleaser with its big creatures but why do you think, are white and red so unpopular? Because of their reliance on "unimpressive" small creatures!?

White is the bureaucrat's color. White is the color your parents would play. Heck, white isn't even a color at all! (ok, so is black...)

Can you imagine discussing this question in your playgroup and anyone admitting "I love playing White" without raising any eyebrows?

For Red on the other hand, well, I guess many Red players enjoy Black or Blue even more...

White is the bureaucrat's color. White is the color your parents would play. Heck, white isn't even a color at all!

Ouch seem to hit a wound point. So putting it in a non biased wording, you are saying white isnt attractive to some player aesthetically.
Thats definitely a good argument. Black has its evil look which is appealing, blue is smart and green is big.
White on the other hand, with its humans and so on is boring and red with its goblins is goofy and seems stupid (not my opinion, just saying)

Can you imagine discussing this question in your playgroup and anyone admitting "I love playing White" without raising any eyebrows?

Err yes of course lol.

I find it hard to take the poll results seriously when I know they don't work for many people.  (And some get like 600 votes, which is really sad for the traffic the site gets.) But that aside.

14% for White isn't some bad number that really needs explaining.  Even if it speaks to people the least that's hardly unloved.  The more interesting thing is pairing that with last month's poll asking the reverse question.  Green was by far the most popular to play against while middle of the pack for playing with.  I guess that's because Green is the most likely to fight fair?

And blue is of course the least fair.  What could be less fair than drawing extra cards and countering spells before they even happen?  So unfair! So it's the most popular to play with and least to play against.  Black, that underhanded color (which will do anything to win) is second to blue both times.  Understandable.

But red is relatively unloved both times.  Second least favorite to play with, virtual tie for second-to-last to play against.  This makes sense to me.  It's such a narrow color, playing fast and right to the face.  While playing RDW decks takes skill, it's a non-flashy skill of sequencing and calculating trades.  R&D probably does need to work on a long-term plan of giving Red more long game options, even if it is the "hasty" and "passionate" color.

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

Unless the land being brought back wasn't a common before, it's got to be Shimmering Grotto.  Only thing that fits the description plus the art.  That said, I think it's hilarious that "from Magic's past" includes Lorwyn.  Much like "From the Vault" has cards from one block ago.

My first deck was Black/White. I loved Fetid Heath     

I was just looking at the picture used for Ken Nagle in the article and it struck me he looks similar to someone...someone familiar
IMAGE(http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/daily/ld/ld159_isd.jpg)
It's that intense look...almost a glower.  Where have I seen that before? Hm...
Aha!
IMAGE(http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs32/f/2008/198/a/1/Jace_Beleren_1_by_MoDe_Chill.jpg)

So that's how Ken got a job at WoTC...he's really Jace! XD ...That and he's really really good at card design.

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

The one and only Ken Nagle is this:

Mishra

(even though there's no green in his colors)
I thought Ken Nagle was this guy.

I like this new land. Looks like it belongs right next to Vitu-Ghazi, the City-Tree
blah blah metal lyrics

My first deck was Black/White. I loved Fetid Heath     

While my first real deck was a Boros R/W aggro rush (I started in Ravnica/Time Spiral) all my favorite cards were Black/White (Blind Hunter, Pillory of the Sleepless, Debtors' Knell, Mortify/Vindicate...). These days, I dropped the White and just play mono-Black, but White/Black will always be my favorite color pairing.

Besides, the flavor of an Isolated Chapel just resonates with me more than the others.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c6f9e416e5e0e1f0a1e5c42b0c7b3e88.jpg?v=90000)
I thought Ken Nagle was this guy.

This guy would be more accurate.
"Sulfur Falls" all the way!! Although I don't play Red/Blue the art work is just breathtaking ... Although I hate it's flavor text for mentioning humans in a land that looks otherwise natural. Lands that depict civilization (excluding ancient civilizations) just make me sad for some reason (Much like the preview card in this great article), So I'm really happy with "Kessig Wolf Run" and how it fits nicely into G/R.
Sign In to post comments