Buying Innistrad Boxes - are you?

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi I posted almost a month ago asking about buying old boxes of boosters to get back in the game.
I realize now, that Standard makes old cards useless (unless I want to play other formats).

This is a good thing however, because I just have to worry about the current block.  Everything was standard when I used to play. (I think)

I'm excited because I have a blue illusion deck I've been working on and so far it's only losing Preordain to phase out.

Also, I plan on buying at least 2 boxes of Innistrad the day it comes out (Oct 1st?).

I'm hoping to get some decent stuff with the 72 rares (+freebie packs) I'll be getting in the boxes.

Traders, collectibles, and obviously, play cards!!

The advice everybody gave me a month ago makes a lot more sense to me now that I've been immersed in the community since.

Thanks again! I have another question though:

If anybody has any tips on buying boxes for new blocks/sets, let me know please because I just plan on pre-paying at my local shop and getting some promotional stuff like 3 packs + a foil per box pre-order).

I'm guessing the promotional foil will be Innistrad and I'm guessing the free 3 packs will be as well.

So 2 pre-paid boxes should net 78 packs + 2 foils.  Does anybody else ever do this? 
A lot of you are seasoned players and have your own opinions on whether you would buy any boxes of this coming block/set or not, but I feel like it will help my newb situation out.

Thanks =)

Most people will tell you (and I agree) that iit's more cost-effective to buy a complete set of commons and then just buy singles/playsets of just the cards you want. However, it's definitely more fun to buy the box.

I bought my first box for New Phyrexia, and had a blast opening all those boosters. I plan to have even more fun with my box of Innistrad when I get it, now that I know to open the packs slowly, using them for Pack Wars / mini-master. It makes the excitement of seeing that sweet rare for the first time all the better.
I'm hoping to get some decent stuff with the 72 rares (+freebie packs) I'll be getting in the boxes.

You'll get a few more than 72 rares from the packs, between foils and DFCs.  Each DFC card comes from a separate sheet and replaces a common, so a pack could have a rare/mythic DFC and/or Foil, in addition to its normal rare/mythic.

I'm guessing the promotional foil will be Innistrad and I'm guessing the free 3 packs will be as well.

Yup, the promotional foil is from Innistrad, a rare like always.  The red burn spell, I believe.

So 2 pre-paid boxes should net 78 packs + 2 foils.  Does anybody else ever do this? 

Have in the past, don't anymore.  I tend to get the commons and uncommons I need from drafting.  And since I mostly play in tournaments currently, well, far too few cards are tournament playable, and some of those mythic (takes a lot of boosters to get a playset), I just buy singles now.

I do get 1 fat pack now though, mostly for the booklet, as I tend to come up with deck ideas by browsing through cards.  Since I'm not buying boxes, lack the cards to browse through, so use the booklet for that now.
Which red burn spell?  I thought it was gonna be the Mayor.

IMAGE(http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/jdealer90/RandomAnimal.jpg)

No, Mayor is the prerelease card.  The box topper is Devil's Play, the flashback burn spell.

www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.a...
Innistrad has not sold me on a box yet. 

I've bought x2 2012 boxes already ( the stuff I got in both let me make bank ) and they just seem much more appealing to me than what's coming in Innistrad. I have a feeling I'll be more interested in the stuff that comes post-innistrad. 
Innistrad has not sold me on a box yet. 

I've bought x2 2012 boxes already ( the stuff I got in both let me make bank ) and they just seem much more appealing to me than what's coming in Innistrad. I have a feeling I'll be more interested in the stuff that comes post-innistrad. 

+1

The higher end cards is M12 are much better than what is in Innistrad IMO. 
I won't because I don't like DFCs.

I wouldn't mind the low powerlevel of the rares and mythic rares, as I care more about coherent set design and the card's aesthetics. But a set where some of the cards can't actually be played with unless you put them into sleeves or replace them with other cards is a no-go for me.
my new deck: Bears with Weapons
I think flavor is delicious, honestly though some of these cards look too fun to pass up, despite tournament playability, and opening those packs is hella fun, im gettin two boxes as well ;).

I'll possibly poach a few event/theme decks if something stellar appears in them, but other than that I don't see any reason to binge.
No, Mayor is the prerelease card.  The box topper is Devil's Play, the flashback burn spell.

www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.a...

Ah, thanks.  Why does Devil's Play have the five mana symbols instead of the Innistrad watermark?

I'm not buying any boxes; I'm just preording a playset of commons/uncommons for $35. With the ~$40-50 you save from not getting a box you can either a) buy rares you actually want instead of opening boosters for jank rares, and b) draft more often.

When an actually decent event comes around that I want to seriously compete in I'll start doing my usual trading/buying of rares to fill out my deck as it draws closer.
I'm all about super-control in MTG. If you're able to stop my shenanigans, then there aren't enough shenanigans. Lv 1 Judge Current Decklists Sweeping Beauty (Casual) A Vision of Clones (Casual) Coming soon... more decks! :-O
out of curiosity, which resellers are unloading c/u playsets at $35?
^
that. 
Channel Fireball - www.channelfireball.com/

There's shipping, of course, but I have a friend in the area who'll pick it up and ship it to me for much less. ^^
I'm all about super-control in MTG. If you're able to stop my shenanigans, then there aren't enough shenanigans. Lv 1 Judge Current Decklists Sweeping Beauty (Casual) A Vision of Clones (Casual) Coming soon... more decks! :-O
Where's "the area", and, does your friend need any more friends?  :D

Sign In to post comments