"Blink" abilities and the Command Zone

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
So apparently, cards such as Glimmerpoint Stag can return the cards they exile even if they are put into the Command Zone by a replacement effect in Commander games.

Doesn't it seem as though this should change? I don't know how, exactly, but maybe adding in a provision so that spells and abilities can't track cards to the Command Zone? Obviously the game rules have to track them for cost and damage rule purposes, and for that Skullbriar general. But I'm sure people far smarter than I am could find a way around that, if necessary.

On the other hand, is it healthier for the game that blink abilities can track to the Command Zone and don't get thrown off by any replacement effects? Obviously blinking your own Commander for some reason or another then getting Time Stop'd on the delayed trigger would take a lot of air out of your sails.

Sean Stackhouse Level Two Judge (Yay!) Maine

This is similar to the non-Commander case of It That Betrays + Leyline of the Void--the cards are returned just fine despite going to exile instead of the graveyard. I don't really see any reason why this case should differ from that one.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

I think the concern comes from this thread:

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Taking offers on my set of unopened limited edition full art judge foil basic lands, message me if interested.

The Stag will not return the commander if it's put in the command zone.

Since the Stag says to put the card in the exile zone, the delayed triggered ability will only look for the cards in the exile zone. If the commander is put in the command zone, since it's not in the exile zone, the Stag's trigger will not return it.

Please go here for the updated ruling: www.community.wizards.com/go/thread/view...

Wizards.Com Boards Net Rep

DCI Level 2 Judge

Questions don't have to make sense, but answers do.

I don't understand.  Glimmerpoint Stag reads a lot like Distant Memories, yet Distant Memories looks in whatever zone the card first moves to, while Glimmerpoint Stag looks in the exile zone regardless of where the card moved to.  How is it determined where the card is expected to be?
Because renaming RFG to "Exile" did nothing to change the fact of it being largely a collection of ad-hoc pseudozones.
The Stag will not return the commander if it's put in the command zone.

603.7c A delayed triggered ability that refers to a particular object still affects it even if the object changes characteristics. However, if that object is no longer in the zone it's expected to be in at the time the delayed triggered ability resolves, the ability won't affect it. (Note that if that object left that zone and then returned, it's a new object and thus won't be affected. See rule 400.7.)
Example: An ability that reads "Exile this creature at the beginning of the next end step" will exile the permanent even if it's no longer a creature during the next end step. However, it won't do anything if the permanent left the battlefield before then.

Since the Stag says to put the card in the exile zone, the delayed triggered ability will only look for the cards in the exile zone. If the commander is put in the command zone, since it's not in the exile zone, the Stag's trigger will not return it.

So you're saying that 603.6c lets LTB abilities track cards which moved to a different zone than the LTB ability expected, but 603.7c doesn't let delayed triggered abilities track cards which moved to a different zone than the effect setting up the delayed trigger expected?