Simplified Damage Model

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
It's fun and all having lots of hitpoints and rolling random damage and things like that. But after playing games like Old-School Hack or FATE where opponents have hit points in the low-digits and each attack deals "1 damage" or such... I was thinking could you create a simplified damage model for 4th edition. Sure it wouldn't have the fun of rolling dice and seeing numbers in the hundreds but it could make game play a lot quicker and make balancing powers easier (maybe).

What about:

Base Damage: 3
AOE? : -1
Significant Special Effect: -1
Striker Bonus: +2
Encounter Bonus : +1
Daily Bonus: +2

Base Monster HP: 7
Brute: +1
Artillery: -1
Elite: x2
Solo: x4

And this applies regardless of Tier.

So in my example a Striker who uses a daily power could take down a normal monster in one hit (3+2+2 = 7). Whereas a Controller who uses an AoE power which does a significant effect (say Stun or such) would do 1 point of damage.

Personally, I like the idea of a striker who uses a daily power being able to one-shot a normal monster.... but maybe that's just me :D
What would you gain by using this system exactly?

Strikers can already one-shot normal monsters if you build them right.
Epic Dungeon Master

Want to give your players a kingdom of their own? I made a 4e rule system to make it happen!

Your Kingdom awaits!
Update 5th Sep 2011: Added a sample kingdom, as well as sample of play.
You'd probably get a better response over in the Homebrew forum, since this is something suited for that forum more so than just General.
but it could make game play a lot quicker

"A lot" quicker is quite a bit of an exaggeration.  You may shave off a couple seconds per damage roll.  Maybe a minute total per combat encounter, give or take 15 seconds.

Celebrate our differences.

it wouldn't have the fun

And that's all the reason needed to not do it.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
yuck
Board games that mimic RPG style are usually set up this way, and honestly it is more intuitive, so I can see where you're coming from.  The problem though is that D&D is just too complex in general to restrict and simplify damage in this way, it would likely feel jarring and at odds with other aspects of the game and character progression.  
Sign In to post comments