(DM Only) Important Notes for session 6

11 posts / 0 new
Last post

Well met, all:

These aren't typos or mistakes in the adventure, but important points that I think I should clarify for you when you go into DMing the encounter:

1) Charl's "hidden" status:

Show
The intention here is to have Charl NOT be detectable while hidden. This is how lurkers are supposed to work in 4e--they spend a round basically invisible, then hit hard and are vulnerable for a round, then cloak again. The PCs should NOT get to make a perception check to see him when he is hidden from them. If he is detectable and they do detect him, this will be a very, very short fight. The "hidden" status is supposed to reflect his uncanny knack for hiding under tables, behind mirrors or manikins, and getting lost underfoot. If you have to, rule that he's using some minor illusion magic to obscure himself.

At the same time, make careful use of this, because it has the potential to go much the other way and TPK your party. Charl should get off that wicked attack 2-3 times in the encounter, and that should be it. Also remember Charl only has 4 smoke pellets.

2) Flirt with Theryis and Toram:

Show
The encounter is particularly fun if you forge relationships/flirtation with the two proprietors. Particularly if you have an eladrin in your party, Theryis is very susceptible, and Toram clearly has a thing for rogue/shady ladies. If the party DOES establish good relations with one or both of the siblings, have them participate in the fight--they can thwart an attack here or there, or step in to heal a particularly wounded PC (i.e. spend a healing surge or even surgeless healing).

3) Manikins and Mirrors:

Show
Don't neglect these, as they can make the fight much more interesting. Have the bandits use the manikins to repel ranged attacks, and use the mirrors defensively as well. In case there's any doubt, you can occupy the same space as a mirror or manikin (they are difficult terrain while standing or when destroyed). The mechanic of "stand next to" is a little unclear, so I suggest you only give the benefit of the mirror/manikin to someone who is occupying the same square.

4) Let the fight end with words:
Show
As the adventure implies, let the PCs talk it out, and have bandits who are particularly intimidated either flee or surrender. Whenever a PC scores a crit, have that PC make an immediate no action intimidate check on the target. If the check result meets the bandit's Will defense, have the bandit surrender.

5) Questions?

Cheers!

Questions?

2) Flirt with Theryis and Toram:

Show
If the party DOES establish good relations with one or both of the siblings, have them participate in the fight--they can thwart an attack here or there, or step in to heal a particularly wounded PC (i.e. spend a healing surge or even surgeless healing).

Erik,

I have a qustion about the above.

Show
I have two harper agent characters in the party (players are father and very young daughter). Keying off of the character theme tie-in for this encounter, I figure to have the father's character be the one that Theryis and Toram suspect, and maybe they'll treat his companion as his lackey - maybe try to lure her away from him(?). As it pertains to the above, I'm thinking that if they get involved in the fight, they help anyone but the two harper agent characters, and I'll make it obvious that they are going out of their way to avoid helping those two characters. Do you have any other suggestions on how to play this?

And a question about Charl
Show
His short sword attack does 1d6 + 4 damage or 4d6 + 8 if Charl was hidden. Is that a typo? That seems really high. Should it be 1d6 + 8?

- Rico

Sounds good, Gimper, though . . .

Show
You should give Harper Agents in the party a chance to convince Theryis (particularly) of their innocence. Toram is much less likely to give them some leeway, but Theryis is much more open-minded. They might not become friends, but leave the PCs with the idea that they might have made some progress toward reconciling.

A non-spoiler about the Harper Agent: The basis of this theme is inspired a little from Burn Notice, if people have seen that show. Basically, it's a spy who's been "burned" by his own people for dark deeds he didn't do. Alone and without the resources of his organization, he has to rely on his own wits and resourcefulness just to survive, let alone clear his name.

Cheers

Sounds good, Gimper, though . . .

Show
You should give Harper Agents in the party a chance to convince Theryis (particularly) of their innocence. Toram is much less likely to give them some leeway, but Theryis is much more open-minded. They might not become friends, but leave the PCs with the idea that they might have made some progress toward reconciling.

A non-spoiler about the Harper Agent: The basis of this theme is inspired a little from Burn Notice, if people have seen that show. Basically, it's a spy who's been "burned" by his own people for dark deeds he didn't do. Alone and without the resources of his organization, he has to rely on his own wits and resourcefulness just to survive, let alone clear his name.

Cheers

That's what I planned. Thanks. Burn Notice is one of my favorite shows.

What about the question about Charl?
- Rico
Not a typo. Lurkers are supposed to do a boat-load of damage when they de-cloak.

Be nice to your pcs, tho, and don't do it on a bloodied PC. That's a recipe for a dead PC.

Cheers
Be nice to your pcs, tho, and don't do it on a bloodied PC. That's a recipe for a dead PC. Cheers

Are you kidding me? The other DMs have been giving me grief for not having killed any PCs yet. I came close last night.
- Rico
The one thing I am confused about is Charl's motivation. Why would he attack the PCs? I know it was explained in the mod, but I just did not understand it too well.
Charl is a hothead and braggart. Challenging the pcs is his way of asserting alpha dog dominance. Also, they *could* be spies for Neverember, and if they fight, they reveal quite a bit about themselves.

If they fight but don't kill charl, that makes them definitely loyal to the Lost Heir and the rebels. If they do kill charl, they lose friends at the inn and in the region but no one wants to challenge them after that display of ability.

Cheers

The game is tonight, so *bump*!!!

Cheers

Erik,

Quick question. Since the encounter text states that Charl & Co. are really interested in taking the PCs prisoner for interrogation, I was thinking that it makes sense that when they hit the PCs, I should specify that they seem to be deliberately trying not to do lethal damage. As a correllary to that, if/when the PCs drop, they are not dying, but merely unconscious (death saving throws would be to wake up). What do you think?
- Rico
@Gimper: Yes. Exactly this.

Cheers
Sign In to post comments