New Player & New Character

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello,
I was just introduced to the game of D&D 4e and I need a to build a decent character. We played an introductory campaign so I got the basics but I need a good character with fun non-combat capabilities. I usually play a quick & accurate build and since our DM loves to use dominate (and other mind-altering spells) I need it with a high mental defense. (In the last story our paladin with 19 PassiveInsight got dominated and eventually killed us )

I would love some comments and improvement suggestions.

Also would a pure Monk be better then a Hybrid?

level 5
Elf, Monk|Druid
Monastic Tradition (Hybrid): Centered Breath (Hybrid)
Hybrid Monk: Hybrid Monk Reflex
Hybrid Druid: Hybrid Druid Reflex
Background: Auspicious Birth (Auspicious Birth Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 11, Dex 19, Int 10, Wis 20, Cha 10.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 11, Dex 16, Int 10, Wis 17, Cha 10.

AC: 20 Fort: 12 Reflex: 18 Will: 17
HP: 52 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 13

TRAINED SKILLS
Stealth +11, Perception +16, Insight +12, Dungeoneering +12

PASSIVES:
Insight:22 , Perception:26

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +6, Arcana +2, Bluff +2, Diplomacy +2, Endurance +2, Heal +7, History +2, Intimidate +2, Nature +11, Religion +2, Streetwise +2, Thievery +6, Athletics +1

FEATS
Level 1: Unarmored Agility
Level 2: Staff Fighting
Level 4: Wasteland Wanderer

POWERS
Hybrid at-will 1: Storm Spike
Hybrid at-will 1: Steel Wind
Hybrid encounter 1: Open the Gate of Battle
Hybrid daily 1: Shillelagh
Hybrid utility 2: Useful Lore
Hybrid encounter 3: Predator's Flurry
Hybrid daily 5: Supreme Avalanche Combination

ITEMS
Bloodthread Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) +1, Fey Strike Quarterstaff +1

You will need to get the hybrid talent feat to get the monk's unarmored AC bonus, so I'd replace Wateland Wanderer with that.  I'd also make charisma or int your dump stat instead of str.  I would have athletics and acrobatics trained instead of dungeoneering and insight since they will most likely be most useful in the long run.  Other than those things, it looks like a solid build.

You will need to get the hybrid talent feat to get the monk's unarmored AC bonus, so I'd replace Wateland Wanderer with that. 

Great! I didn't even see the hybrid talent feat. Made those changes and it does look better now.

Thanks for the hints! Hopefully I'll survive the next chapter :D .
You might also consider that characters starting above 1st level are supposed to have one magic item of your level +1, one item equal to your level, one item equal to your level -1, and gold equal to the cost of a level -1 item.  Of course, you'd want to clear it with your DM, but those are the standard assumptions.
You might also consider that characters starting above 1st level are supposed to have one magic item of your level +1, one item equal to your level, one item equal to your level -1, and gold equal to the cost of a level -1 item.  Of course, you'd want to clear it with your DM, but those are the standard assumptions.

It's equipped and ready to go.

One more question: Is it really worth it to spend a feat for a +2 AC bonus?
I would swap out staff fighting for staff expertise (you can take staff fighting later).
Hello,
I was just introduced to the game of D&D 4e and I need a to build a decent character. We played an introductory campaign so I got the basics but I need a good character with fun non-combat capabilities. I usually play a quick & accurate build and since our DM loves to use dominate (and other mind-altering spells) I need it with a high mental defense. (In the last story our paladin with 19 PassiveInsight got dominated and eventually killed us )

I would love some comments and improvement suggestions.

Also would a pure Monk be better then a Hybrid?

level 5
Elf, Monk|Druid
Monastic Tradition (Hybrid): Centered Breath (Hybrid)
Hybrid Monk: Hybrid Monk Reflex
Hybrid Druid: Hybrid Druid Reflex
Background: Auspicious Birth (Auspicious Birth Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 11, Dex 19, Int 10, Wis 20, Cha 10.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 11, Dex 16, Int 10, Wis 17, Cha 10.

AC: 20 Fort: 12 Reflex: 18 Will: 17
HP: 52 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 13

TRAINED SKILLS
Stealth +11, Perception +16, Insight +12, Dungeoneering +12

PASSIVES:
Insight:22 , Perception:26

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +6, Arcana +2, Bluff +2, Diplomacy +2, Endurance +2, Heal +7, History +2, Intimidate +2, Nature +11, Religion +2, Streetwise +2, Thievery +6, Athletics +1

FEATS
Level 1: Unarmored Agility
Level 2: Staff Fighting
Level 4: Wasteland Wanderer

POWERS
Hybrid at-will 1: Storm Spike
Hybrid at-will 1: Steel Wind
Hybrid encounter 1: Open the Gate of Battle
Hybrid daily 1: Shillelagh
Hybrid utility 2: Useful Lore
Hybrid encounter 3: Predator's Flurry
Hybrid daily 5: Supreme Avalanche Combination

ITEMS
Bloodthread Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) +1, Fey Strike Quarterstaff +1

First, Passive Insight offers no protection against Dominate attacks. "Mental" attacks are rolls against Will.

I would also like to know how a Paladin (defender) dominated can kill your party?!
Did you all died because the monsters attacked the weak characters without the paladin to protect? Or the Paladin did it? Something is strange on the way you sayd it.

A Dm that makes a TPK in the first intro game seems alittle strange. But im not here to judge him without knowing for sure.

Monk/Druid isnt the best of combinations, because the druid melee attacks are all beastform dependent, and when you are in beastform you cannot use monk powers.

I suggest you to play a pure Monk, or an Avenger if you want High-Wis character.
If you want RP skills maybe a class based on Charism, because it adds to Will to resist mental attacks, and also adds to all social skills like bluff, diplomacy and intimidate.

Read the class guides for the class that you consider fun to play, and look at what works.

If you want protection against mind effects pick the Superior Will feat, it gives you +2 to will, and an extra roll to save (end the effect on a 10+ on D20) on the start of your turn against those kind of mind effects, saving you from losing your turn.

I would make a pure Monk with Superior Will, Unarmored Agility and Implement Expertise Ki Focus.
(Remember that monk powers are not WEAPON attacks, they are implement attacks, they dont use the weapon dice or proficiency for damage

If you really want to avoid being dominated, make a tiefling and take the feat Dispater's Iron Discipline.

Then get the epic version of Circlet of Arkhosia  
I would not play a hybrid if this is your first character.... 4e is trickily complex.
It was the third session of the first story. Needless to say the entire party was new to D&D. We have played Exalted before so the no-dominate mentality probably comes from that system.

Heh .. the Paladin killed our entire party by sabotaging the engine of our airship. He rolled a 20 on the engine ignition, cranked it up to max speed and rammed us into a mountain. (all of this while we were busy fighting off a boarding party)

I've looked at the avenger class. But it doesn't sound fun to play at the moment. A pure monk does look a little easier. Especially now that I've seen that some druid powers have "beast form" keyword. Oh well, I'll just trash it and start from scratch with a pure monk.

Oh, and I didn't know that passive doesn't help. I'll try the hints you guys suggested and see what happens.

Thanks for the help and insight!

*going to look up staff expertise :D and Circlet of Arkhosia*
Sign In to post comments