Let's set the record straight about the "Dominance of Combo"

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Combo did well, for two reasons

Firstly: Storm, Splinter Twin, Pyromancer Hive Mind and Infect combined for 148/417 spots. that's nearly 36% of the meta, making it the most played style of deck, at that point, one would expect 3-4 Top 8 slots from that group of decks

The next most played deck was Twelve Post (82/417, just a hair under 20%), and I'll tell you a secret...

secret

COMBO
WRECKS
12POST 

43% vs Pyro
38% vs Hive Mind
38% vs Storm
31% vs Splinter Twin
16% vs Infect!!

So, when most played archetype is placed in field of deck it whoops up on, SURPRISE!!! IT DOES WELL!!

Zoo and Affinity both have 50/50 OR BETTER matchups against the slate of Combo decks, with the exception of Storm decks. (both about 2:1 dogs)

Also, you know how many of the top 8 had 8 or more wins? ONE, and it was Josh Utter-Leyton. Andrejs Prost (Pyromancer) made it in with a 6-3-1 record because he is a beast in Limited (And yes I've played against him). It's a combined event, you can't just discount 6 rounds of drafting. 

Let's all get a grip, eh?
scrubnextdoor blog
Notable Stuffs
Champion of Niv's 1st Block Constructed Tournament
1000 posts & !-year anniversary 2/17/10 BOOYAH

Siggables
Neruka's Boyfriend
Kor Firewalker is SO HOT. He is the fire in my pants. I want his firewalking babies.

Oops
75932913 wrote:
57689138 wrote:
I just realized how large a pain in the ass it's going to be to break down regionals like this
but look on the bright side, [b]Ding Dong jund is dead[b], it's not the boogyman anymore XD

Razorgore
61325265 wrote:
57689138 wrote:
Near Death Experience?
Gideon is not impressed by your triple white, incredibly difficult-to-manlipulate jank card.
Poor Niche
57860688 wrote:
MaRo keeps stabbing me in the face with cards like Phyrexian Rebirth. It's a black card.. with black art... in a white layer with white costs. Up yours, design team.
Cryptic Command can go munch on a bowl of my nuts

Guess you know better than all the pro's who tested extensively for the PT huh? When everyone is playing bad monogreen post decks, it's not a surprise the figures are low. When you run the RG build, it suddenly gets a lot better, and it has the answers for a lot of stuff then, since it can run removal. There was a discussion about Sudden shock out of the board for the infect match up, which suddenly shaves the percentages a lot.

A lot of twin lists were similar, but some people played them very badly. The Cloudpost lists differed MASSIVELY, to the point where putting them all under one umbrella is a bit of a farce.
Website for my radio series: http://www.cyrusbalesfilms.co.uk/id2.html For the facebook group of my radio series, search for "Who will save us now?" Please join! Follow my regular articles on: http://www.manaleak.com/mtguk/
That's not my intent at all, I'm trying to provide a counterpoint to the myopia that has gripped the general community. Twin and other Combo decks were essentially given everything they needed to excel. Established decks, a favorable meta, and skilled pilots.

I don't think it necessatrily suggests the format is broken or needs drastic change 
scrubnextdoor blog
Notable Stuffs
Champion of Niv's 1st Block Constructed Tournament
1000 posts & !-year anniversary 2/17/10 BOOYAH

Siggables
Neruka's Boyfriend
Kor Firewalker is SO HOT. He is the fire in my pants. I want his firewalking babies.

Oops
75932913 wrote:
57689138 wrote:
I just realized how large a pain in the ass it's going to be to break down regionals like this
but look on the bright side, [b]Ding Dong jund is dead[b], it's not the boogyman anymore XD

Razorgore
61325265 wrote:
57689138 wrote:
Near Death Experience?
Gideon is not impressed by your triple white, incredibly difficult-to-manlipulate jank card.
Poor Niche
57860688 wrote:
MaRo keeps stabbing me in the face with cards like Phyrexian Rebirth. It's a black card.. with black art... in a white layer with white costs. Up yours, design team.
Cryptic Command can go munch on a bowl of my nuts

Don't you think people tried to build decks that could beat twin reliably and not auto lose to everything else? We had worked out twin was the best deck a few days before hand and had our whole team trying to it build to beat it without losing to everything else.

In terms of the combo decks having everythign they needed to excel, I agree, but the things it needed you have wrong. What it needed was control to have much weaker engines and weaker late games, allowing for a combo deck to easily top deck itself back in the game. Combo decks needed cheap ways of protecting themselves, Dispel, Pact, Remand, Disrupting Shoal etc.

The things giving the combo decks the advantage are the card pool, not the other factors.
Website for my radio series: http://www.cyrusbalesfilms.co.uk/id2.html For the facebook group of my radio series, search for "Who will save us now?" Please join! Follow my regular articles on: http://www.manaleak.com/mtguk/
That's not my intent at all, I'm trying to provide a counterpoint to the myopia that has gripped the general community. Twin and other Combo decks were essentially given everything they needed to excel. Established decks, a favorable meta, and skilled pilots.

I don't think it necessatrily suggests the format is broken or needs drastic change 

I think it's getting harder for people to fall back on the old "people weren't prepped for the meta" argument. There were very few players a that PT that didn't have their eyes wide open regarding which archetypes beat which.

The funny part is that this meta has completely put the traditional matchup results on it's head; zoo beating combo, combo beating control, and control beating... nothing, really. All generalizations, of course, but I don't blame people taking 12-post to that tourney. If enough people had brought Zoo to the event in the hopes of crushing the supposed combo-heavy meta, then 12-post would have had a better showing.

Photobucket
Sign In to post comments